gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 10:41:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: To what extent did Brian write and produceTWGMTR  (Read 18347 times)
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2013, 08:47:17 PM »

TWGMTR (Wilson 20). I'd say Brian perhaps came up with the title, and otherwise it's his vocal (and perhaps instrumental) arrangements that flavor a song by other hands.

He said in an interview the title came from Joe Thomas. I think in the Beach Boys' Charlie Rose interview last year?
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2013, 09:28:19 PM »

Radio is a  Joe Thomas production, as will be the current  "BW is in the studio" adventure.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2013, 10:10:44 PM »

Brian is "credited as produce of TLOS" but if he actually produced it then his one good ear has gone bad. It's atrociously produced. The CD is completely unlistenable and while demonstrably better the vinyl is still pretty bad - some members might remember the graphs I posted back in 2008 to prove the fact. I think it was AGD who said that something odd happened when he ripped the CD for his iPod it actually sounded much better. Or maybe it's the mastering engineer who is deaf. Such a shame because the music is 10/10 material.

TWGMTR, aside from the autotune, is actually well produced. It has a good dynamic range, the instruments and voices are not fighting to be heard at any time - they are all at a pleasing level. It is easy on the ear and comfortable to listen from start to finish even at high volume levels. The vocal processing isn't great in a lot of places. Has Autotune been used with Brian before? Oh yes, certainly since BWPS...but it is used very sparingly on BWPS and TLOS, just here and there on longer notes where perhaps he wavered. It's not always noticable on first listen.

You totally misunderstand the term 'production' in a musical sense.

Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Record_producer

This may make you completely rethink your understanding of  the phrase 'Produced by Brian Wilson', or it may not.

Exactly.  And to put it another way, if Andy Warhol produced The Velvet Underground & Nico, then Brian Wilson produced That's Why God Made the Radio and had a lot more impact on that album than Warhol had on the VU album (not to belittle Warhol's involvement, he was a producer in the sense that he financed the project, he just had no musical involvement whatsoever).

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2013, 10:45:15 PM »

I hear mostly bits and pieces of Brian here and there..in music, arrangements, lyrics and production..(Here are the bits that at least to me sound like pure "Classic" Brian from 60's/70's)
1.Think about the days -the harmonies and French horn
2.That's why God made the radio-harmonies, saxophone, staccato piano part, "It's paradise when I lift up the antenna" and "Waved his hand gave up RNR" Lines maybe some of the guitar fill-ins.
3.isn't it time-muted bass, background vocals, first big change and the bass line being played during that change, bells, and second big chord towards the end change/bass line, synths, woodblock.
4.spring vacation- intro and piano/organ during it, harmonies, "What's it to you hallelujah" "Easy money ain't life funny" lines
5. the private life of bill and sue- bass line, xylophone, harmonies, saxophone, muted bass, staccato muted guitar towards the end.. that's about it for this one.
6.Shelter- this one sounds very Brian throughout, so this is the most Brian sounding song up until now on the cd, from the harmonies to the bass lines to the overall arrangement, maybe not the lyrics though, The title of the song.
7. daybreak- nothing sounds like Brian on this one and of course we all know why, because he had nothing to do with it..
8.Bitches...err I mean Beaches in Mind- intro, harmonies. "we got beaches in mind man it's been too much time" lyric and the name of the title.
9. Strange world-the second song on the cd that sounds very much like a Brian Wilson song throughout , from the arrangement, bass line, percussion, chord changes, the lyrics, song title,piano, harmonies, bicycle bell, the string instruments. the outro.
10.from there to back again- piano, flute, bass line, harmonies, guitar, muted bass pretty much the whole thing, not sure about the lyrics or whistling though, outro.
11. pacific coast highway- intro, harmonies, piano, flute, strings, cello, "I'm better on my own" line, "Highway one the setting sun" line as well
12.Summers gone-the percussion, the xylophone, the snyth "Harpsichord", harmonies, wind instruments, outro.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2013, 10:51:26 PM »

Radio is a  Joe Thomas production, as will be the current  "BW is in the studio" adventure.

Sourcing?
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2013, 01:24:05 AM »

5. the private life of bill and sue- bass line, xylophone, harmonies, saxophone, muted bass, staccato muted guitar towards the end.. that's about it for this one.

I presume he did much more than that. Would be very surprised if anyone other than Brian had a hand in writing the verse lyrics and melody. It's all very "Busy Doin' Nothin'" in a way.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2013, 03:45:04 AM »

I presume he did much more than that. Would be very surprised if anyone other than Brian had a hand in writing the verse lyrics and melody. It's all very "Busy Doin' Nothin'" in a way.

Joe Thomas said that the verses, and the lyrical idea, were Brian and the choruses were Thomas. He didn't say who came up with the middle section, but "sometimes life can be so strange" sounds like a Brian line to me. The backing vocal "hum dadyada" stuff sounds like a Brian idea to me, too.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2013, 08:17:37 AM »

To my ears, the only song Brian produced in years is "I'm into Something Good" with Carole King.

Cook pork throughly
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2013, 03:50:49 PM »

Joe Thomas said that the verses, and the lyrical idea, were Brian and the choruses were Thomas. He didn't say who came up with the middle section, but "sometimes life can be so strange" sounds like a Brian line to me. The backing vocal "hum dadyada" stuff sounds like a Brian idea to me, too.

Thomas also said Brian did all the vocal arrangements, so ALL the backing vocal parts through the whole album would be his ideas (except for Mike's track).
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2013, 03:59:16 PM »

Yeah, but Thomas also claims it's Brian on the "Shelter" falsetto, so you have to take what he says with a grain of salt.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2013, 04:15:21 AM »

Yeah, but Thomas also claims it's Brian on the "Shelter" falsetto, so you have to take what he says with a grain of salt.

I find the claim that Brian did all the vocal arranging fairly believable, actually -- we know that even at his worst points, Brian's been able to work out vocal arrangements very quickly and more or less to order.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2013, 04:37:28 PM »

I find the claim that Brian did all the vocal arranging fairly believable, actually -- we know that even at his worst points, Brian's been able to work out vocal arrangements very quickly and more or less to order.

Which is one of the several reasons that I think that Brian's producer credits are all more or less deserved (even if some of the albums may have deserved a co-prod credit or three). BW is mainly known as the member of a harmony group, after all -- if he's still responsible for virtually all of the harmony parts of his albums, he has huge role in how those records sound.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2013, 07:06:23 AM »

Why did they put the shitty rain/thunderstorm effects in the tag of Summer's Gone? Way to f*** up something pretty. CCW is the only song I've ever heard such effects come to good use (and even there it is only done to tie the music together and give the song cohesion. Were they thinking they could replicate that or something? Bad, bad ideas.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2013, 07:23:23 AM »

Why did they put the shitty rain/thunderstorm effects in the tag of Summer's Gone? Way to f*** up something pretty. CCW is the only song I've ever heard such effects come to good use (and even there it is only done to tie the music together and give the song cohesion. Were they thinking they could replicate that or something? Bad, bad ideas.

I suspect if anything they were thinking of the end of Caroline, No. I thought the effects sounded OK, myself, but then I'm not a huge fan of the song.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2013, 07:45:15 AM »

The sound effects are lovely. And part of a long tradition that includes 409, Caroline, Diamond Head and many others.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2013, 09:58:10 AM »

I think those thunder rain sounds go pretty well with the fading-into-the-distance tack piano and flutes (?) .

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2013, 02:57:07 PM »

Why did they put the shitty rain/thunderstorm effects in the tag of Summer's Gone? Way to f*** up something pretty.

'Cause summer's gone, you nitwit. Summer's gone. Here comes the rain. Here comes the storm. This is the end of the Beach Boys as you know them. The sun sets for everything eventually. My life is nearing its end. Enjoy yours.

You NITWIT.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 12:52:03 AM by runnersdialzero! » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2013, 05:21:39 AM »

7. daybreak- nothing sounds like Brian on this one and of course we all know why, because he had nothing to do with it..

If the vocal intro isn't 100% Brian then I don't know what is.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2013, 01:32:52 PM »

Well, I mean, Brian was on it....but it definitely wasn't something he arranged, as the same intro (minus Brian, Al, Bruce, and Jeff) was already in place for the version that is floating around the internet from Mike's proposed solo album from last decade.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2013, 01:41:00 PM »

Well, I mean, Brian was on it....but it definitely wasn't something he arranged, as the same intro (minus Brian, Al, Bruce, and Jeff) was already in place for the version that is floating around the internet from Mike's proposed solo album from last decade.
And you don't think Brian's influence is all over that title? I'm sure Mike soaked in a thing or two over the years working with Brian.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2013, 10:08:27 PM »

Why did they put the shitty rain/thunderstorm effects in the tag of Summer's Gone? Way to f*** up something pretty.

'Cause summer's gone, you nitwit. Summer's gone. Here comes the rain. Here comes the storm. This is the end of the Beach Boys as you know them. The sun sets for everything eventually. My life is nearing its end. Enjoys yours.

You NITWIT.
Bravo Runners!!!!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 21, 2013, 12:52:13 AM »

I MEANT ENJOY

GOOD GAH

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2013, 12:57:33 AM »

respect for Runners plummeted.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: May 21, 2013, 06:04:54 AM »

I'm sorry, I didn't know that. I knew that the basic track and some bg vox were recorded by Mike earlier, but I hadn't heard the "original" mix. I only know the "First Love" version which is pretty terrible IMHO and doesn't feature the intro. OK, so very little Brian arranging there, just some influence.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2013, 06:32:54 AM »

respect for Runners plummeted.

Don't sass me.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx