-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:43:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Send Thoughts And Prayers To Boston
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Send Thoughts And Prayers To Boston  (Read 3716 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« on: April 15, 2013, 01:46:02 PM »

Two bombs went off at the finish line of the Boston Marathon this afternoon on Boylston Street, Copley Square. 2 confirmed dead, almost 2 dozen injured, at least one undetonated device found

Live news feed:
http://boston.cbslocal.com/live-video/

I lived in Back Bay for almost 4 years, Boston area a few more, watched the marathon in person several years...something like this is hard to process. We walked that street so many times without thinking about the possibility of something like this, to see it on the news this afternoon is unbelievable. Just horrible.

Sending thoughts and prayers to Boston and everyone affected by this.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 02:05:48 PM »

This is horrible, America is going downhill..... Sad

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 02:17:49 PM »

Crazy. We're living in a sick world

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 03:23:17 PM »

My thoughts and prayers go out to them. This is one of these moments where I wonder what is wrong with some people in this world.

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 03:28:46 PM »

Here's hoping they find (and dispose of painfully) the people behind this meaninglessness.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Jason
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 03:48:25 PM »

Been following the news since it happened. Thoughts are with the people of Boston and those in the Marathon today.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 03:51:39 PM »

Been following the news since it happened. Thoughts are with the people of Boston and those in the Marathon today.

Just shameless bastards, very very sad
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 05:02:21 PM »

Two bombs went off at the finish line of the Boston Marathon this afternoon on Boylston Street, Copley Square. 2 confirmed dead, almost 2 dozen injured, at least one undetonated device found

Live news feed:
http://boston.cbslocal.com/live-video/

I lived in Back Bay for almost 4 years, Boston area a few more, watched the marathon in person several years...something like this is hard to process. We walked that street so many times without thinking about the possibility of something like this, to see it on the news this afternoon is unbelievable. Just horrible.

Sending thoughts and prayers to Boston and everyone affected by this.

(quote)

One of the two (so far) who died is an 8 year old child.  Horrific.  Over 124, taken to the local hospitals, all of which in Boston, are outstanding. 

It is said that there were "ball bearings" used as schapnel to inflict injury.  And the doctors are removing lots of these small objects in the emergency rooms.  Several lost limbs, and the emerging film footage is horrific. 

Also an "incendiary" device was exploded by the Coast Guard at the JFK Library which is located on an inlet on the Boston Harbor waterfront.  This device went off or was discovered almost simultaneously with the Marathon explosions. 

Prayers, yes, thank you, and for the safety of the first responders and emergency personnel, police and fire dept. 
EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 05:07:28 PM »

My cousin was running at the Boston Marathon, shes home safe thank god, thoughts and prayers are with those in Boston
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 01:21:50 AM »

Who in the name of God bombs a charity marathon? This is horrible.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 07:06:34 AM »

My cousin was running at the Boston Marathon, shes home safe thank god, thoughts and prayers are with those in Boston

Good to hear she's ok

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 08:31:24 AM »

The numbers have obviously changed since yesterday afternoon, the current totals are 3 dead, at least 170 injured, and of those 17 are in critical condition.

Of course I'm not the only one here who had ever lived in that area, but I thought some context would be important for those who have never experienced the marathon, so some of the times and locations might make better sense.

The bombs themselves were detonated well after the competitive or what some call the elite runners had finished the race. This fact is and could be important in determining the planning, as some may have thought yesterday why explode the bombs hours after the main runners had finished.

First, the day itself is a holiday in Boston, Patriots Day: Schools are not in session, many workplaces close or have shortened days if possible, and the day itself is a party day of sorts, capping off a long weekend. The marathon route is a neat place to be, specifically as it gets closer to the finish, several blocks beyond Boston University, coming up Commonwealth Avenue, and eventually ending up on Boylston Street. It ends near Copley Square, at the library, as seen in the horrible videos and photos from yesterday.

It's a chance to walk around those streets with a lot of other people in a great mood, whether you're a race fan or not. There is a lot of noise, a lot of the party atmosphere, and people generally being nice to each other in a shared experience...often accompanied by nice spring weather as it was yesterday.

It definitely does not stop with the race. The scene at night, in the bars, clubs, and restaurants around the Back Bay area, was packed with runners and their families along with the regular party-goers and people who had watched the race. We'd walk down Boylston at night after the race, and you'd see hundreds of people wearing their silver foil capes that they had gotten after finishing the race walking the streets and in the bars and restaurants. Many of these clubs were packed to overflowing, with people waiting outside to get in or just hanging out as the bar itself was too crowded to fit all of them. It was one of the busier nights, at least from my experience, and all the bars around Newbury and Boylston were hopping. It was a very neat scene.

The key point to consider is this: The Marathon itself is a mix of professional, competitive runners, weekend warriors and hobbyists, and those who are running for charity or for the sense of accomplishment or history...the family element. After the professionals finish, and the semi-pros finish, there is a parade of regular guys and girls running for a cause or for their families, sometimes pushing baby carriages or wheelchairs, and wearing various shirts or signs for the charities they're supporting. It can take them several hours more to finish the race, for obvious reasons.

As those runners at the end of the pack are finishing, the Back Bay area fills up with their families and friends (and others), specifically the stretch of Boylston Street where the attacks happened yesterday. The sidewalks fill up and foot traffic increases, and much of that along that final stretch is families of the runners, including children and those who may not have been in that finishing area earlier as the professionals crossed the line.

And that is the key, from what I and others seem to be thinking: The timing of the bombs will be a crucial point. Rather than being a mistake or somehow being poor timing, it feels like they planned it for maximum impact, where the audience was more the families and friends waiting to see a loved one cross the finish line as it was the true racing fans who were there for the competition. The sidewalks would be full in that area at that exact time of the day, even though outsiders may thing it was several hours after the race had finished, people would not be there...not true. A different kind of people are and were in fact there at that time, in fact the sidewalks are full of people.

One of the confirmed fatalities was an 8 year old boy from Dorchester named Martin, who was there to watch his father finish the race.

Which makes the possible planning, motive, and execution of a f***ed up thing like this even more insidious and horrific, whoever may be responsible.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 10:32:23 AM »

One of the confirmed fatalities was an 8 year old boy from Dorchester named Martin, who was there to watch his father finish the race.

The whole thing is terrible and senseless but this is the part that leaves me with a queazy feeling.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: