gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 10:18:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why Are BB's Fans So Cranky?  (Read 11799 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2013, 11:22:47 AM »

I thought he was talking about the Beach Boys. I accounted for everybody except the "faded 80's heartthrob".
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2013, 11:24:08 AM »

I thought he was talking about the Beach Boys. I accounted for everybody except the "faded 80's heartthrob".

He was. He meant Stamos.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2013, 11:25:16 AM »

He was. He meant Stamos.

Embarrassed It's time for me to meditate.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 11:27:35 AM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2013, 01:02:22 PM »

I just saw bald headed goon and immediately thought of Stipe, though Collins works great as well

Don't ALL but the Republican part work for Collins?  Evil
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2013, 02:53:44 PM »

I think it is we hold our opinions too high and a sort of perstitent disinformation. So suck it!

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2013, 04:07:44 PM »

Short answer: Most of them are old.  Old Man

Yes, I am. And I love it.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2013, 04:10:13 PM »

So suck it!

Couldn'tve said it better myself.   Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2013, 06:41:38 PM »

Why are we so cranky?  Because fans are cranky.  Fandom isn't about love, it's about obsession -- hate gets exaggerated as much as love.  You'll never find someone who hates Star Wars as much as a Star Wars fan, you'll never find someone as vicious about a bit of Beach Boys stuff as a Beach Boys fan.

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2013, 06:45:36 PM »

It's because a band full of insane, drinking, drugging, meditating, Full-Housing, bearded, backstabbing assholes will attract a like crowd.....
oldsurferdude
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2013, 06:46:02 PM »

Why are we so cranky?  Because fans are cranky.  Fandom isn't about love, it's about obsession -- hate gets exaggerated as much as love.  You'll never find someone who hates Star Wars as much as a Star Wars fan, you'll never find someone as vicious about a bit of Beach Boys stuff as a Beach Boys fan.

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Think you nailed it, Jon.
Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Boy, being both a BB and SW fanatic, this one hit close to home. It's like you put a mirror in front of me for the first time and I saw how gangly my teeth are.  Shocked

For the record, though, I've got to voice my support for the "inferiority complex" answer, at least for myself. I feel like I have to defend my profound devotion to a band who is mostly known for a few throwaway surf tunes from the early '60s.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2013, 07:52:47 AM »

Hey, if you went to Beach Boys forums like this one and saw how people talk about how they dislike terrific albums like Wild Honey, Holland and Love You, you would be cranky too!

Tongue

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2013, 08:19:47 AM »

Why are we so cranky?  Because fans are cranky.  Fandom isn't about love, it's about obsession -- hate gets exaggerated as much as love.  You'll never find someone who hates Star Wars as much as a Star Wars fan, you'll never find someone as vicious about a bit of Beach Boys stuff as a Beach Boys fan.
Cheers,
Jon Blum
Think you nailed it, Jon.
[/quote
I'm not sure I agree.  A life lived without passion, is a poorly-lived one.  Had Brian no "passion" for creation, or no creative outlet for that music in his head, where would he be?  

A listener or fan is merely the "recipient" of Brian's expression, because it is a multi-dynamic. And "fandom" is often a pejorative term for a very healthy, and well-placed passion.  People who have nothing to be passionate about, whether it is a sport, or an author or film/arts or music, are not interesting people in my opinion, nor are they much fun to be around.

And even Trekkies and Star Wars fans have cruises, other common interests, and while they might not ever be mine, it gives commonalities and hobby-type collection opportunities.  And, social ones.

I have great respect for the posters here, who step out there and risk the hot debate of this forum. They have a fiery common interest.  And, make no mistake, you are the courageous ones, who "step out there" when you post, risking the ire of those who disagree.  You aren't spectators in life! You are active participants!  Don't beat yourself up, please.

Life has a way of doing that with no outside help.  Wink
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 08:24:56 AM by filledeplage » Logged
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2013, 10:17:21 AM »

I've got a theory that 'a bunch of blokes' can sap the energy and joy out of anything...

Not saying there aren't female Beach Boys fans, of course there are, but the biggest bitches seem to be 'Male Beach Boys obsessives over forty'

I'm into old guitars and record collecting (50s-70s stuff) and in both those fields, the number of joyful, happy enthusiasts are amply dwarfed by the miserable old gits who've long since moved beyond the initial spark that interested them and onto a horrible pissing contest.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2013, 08:57:31 AM »

Hey, if you went to Beach Boys forums like this one and saw how people talk about how they dislike terrific albums like Wild Honey, Holland and Love You, you would be cranky too!

Tongue

Hey, but I love Summer Days! Even more so Today and Pet Sounds. I love Sunflower and TWGMTR, too. I absolutely enjoy Surfin' Safari through All Summer Long and Wild Honey.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2013, 09:04:40 AM »

I put it down to the diversity of the music. It attracts all walks of life and when they congregate in the one spot bitter feuds and cheap shots arise. Then again some here are just old and grumpy (Mikie)

I bypass it all though and just celebrate the fact that The Beach Boys have such a fantastic and active online forum.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2013, 09:20:28 AM »

Maybe we older fans like Mikie and myself have been through all of the good & bad of their career while it was actually happening. I notice that most of us old timers get along better between us than we do with some of the younger folk in here. Just an observation...

BTW, Mikie is quite OK in my book! Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2013, 09:27:56 AM »

I think it's down to the sheer depth of the material. Something for everyone. Also, remember that 'fan' is a contraction of 'fanatic'.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2013, 09:32:47 AM »

I was hoping AGD would just tell us why he's so cranky and basically that's the question answered

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2013, 09:34:05 AM »

I think it's down to the sheer depth of the material. Something for everyone. Also, remember that 'fan' is a contraction of 'fanatic'.
I am a fanatic, albeit a tempered one. I don't get all crazy and sh*t for every bit of news or lack of it at times. I like watching things unfold and take shape. One thing I learned being a Beach Boys fan is, patience.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2013, 09:41:01 AM »

2Menace Wilson, original poster: with all respect, but I think you asked an incorrect question. You forgot to add "considered to be" after "Fans". Every fanbase consists of various people with different characters. Though some would say "What is the band - the same are the fans". I agree with it in some way, OK, but nevertheless, it's unfair to oversimplify the things labeling each band & its fans as "this" or "that" imo.

Fair enough. 

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2013, 10:02:24 AM »

I was hoping AGD would just tell us why he's so cranky and basically that's the question answered

Very simple - there's a whole bunch of good folk here (and me) who have devoted no little time and effort to accurately chronicling the life, times and music of these dysfunctional yet peerless musicians, but even so, posters here (and elsewhere) hold on to long-discredited canards, trot out utterly inaccurate factoids and plain act like children (viz, the infantile misspellings). Tell ya, it's enough to make the Pope say "f***".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2013, 10:23:34 AM »

posters here (and elsewhere) hold on to long-discredited canards, trot out utterly inaccurate factoids

This basically boils down to:

Doesn't it  Grin I mean, you don't HAVE to take it as a personal insult if someone is wrong about a Beach Boys fact, it may simply be that they've only been into them a short time, and been misinformed. To be fair too, it's normally fairly in depth stuff that people are wrong about, not the Beach Boys 101.

To get serious for a minute, and not getting at anyone in particular (I've certainly typed some shitty things on here myself), but this has been a spectacularly awful forum for bad vibes. Far and away the worst I've been on. It'd be nice if everyone made an effort to turn a corner, because that sh*t just escalates so quickly.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2013, 10:31:04 AM »

posters here (and elsewhere) hold on to long-discredited canards, trot out utterly inaccurate factoids

This basically boils down to:

Doesn't it  Grin I mean, you don't HAVE to take it as a personal insult if someone is wrong about a Beach Boys fact, it may simply be that they've only been into them a short time, and been misinformed. To be fair too, it's normally fairly in depth stuff that people are wrong about, not the Beach Boys 101.

To get serious for a minute, and not getting at anyone in particular (I've certainly typed some shitty things on here myself), but this has been a spectacularly awful forum for bad vibes. Far and away the worst I've been on. It'd be nice if everyone made an effort to turn a corner, because that sh*t just escalates so quickly.
There is no reason for it here. All anyone has do is ask or use SEARCH.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2013, 10:36:40 AM »

This place is great, wouldn't change it for the world. Yes this place can be crazy, but nothing beats finding out smile would be released or the BBs would do C50.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx