gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 10:51:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian to 'write' autobiography  (Read 35675 times)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2013, 03:39:23 PM »

From Brian's site

Beach Boys, to Write Long-Awaited Autobiography Da Capo Press to Publish in Fall 2015
April 14, 2013

BOSTON, MA (April 15, 2013) - Da Capo Press, a member of the Perseus Books Group, announced today that it has acquired US rights to publish the autobiography of music legend Brian Wilson. Da Capo Executive Editor Ben Schafer made the acquisition from Marc Gerald, Head of the US Literary Division of the Agency Group.

“I’ve been working harder in the last ten years than I ever did in my whole career,” Brian Wilson says. “And I love it! I love working. I started the Beach Boys when I was still in high school, and I guess I’ve never spent too much time thinking about all the things we went through—all the good times and bad times. I don’t like to dwell on the bad times, it makes me sad in my heart. But I feel a little stronger now. And I’m feeling a little bit like maybe now is a good time to look back.”

As the chief songwriter and producer of the Beach Boys, Brian Wilson has been making music for over fifty years—and during that time has recorded some of the most iconic songs in American rock. Pet Sounds, Wilson’s masterwork from 1966, was named the #2 best album in rock history by Rolling Stone. Inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1988 and the recipient of a Kennedy Center Honor in 2007, Wilson most recently recorded the critically acclaimed That’s Why God Made the Radio with the Beach Boys and joined the group for their worldwide 50th anniversary tour in 2012. In February of this year he received a Grammy Award for Best Historical Album for The SMiLE Sessions.

For his memoir Wilson will be working with Rolling Stone and Men’s Journal editor Jason Fine. Wilson will describe, for the first time, the epic highs and lows of his life—from his tumultuous relationship with his father, the loss of his mother and brothers, his fears about live performance, and the struggles he faced to lead the Beach Boys away from surf music into experimental terrain to his remarkable personal and professional comeback from drug addiction and mental illness with the support of his second wife, Melinda. He will share a new level of emotional honesty never before expressed in earlier books about him.

John Radziewicz, Publisher of Da Capo Press, says: “On every level—musical, personal, cultural—this is a story that begs to be told. ‘Icon’ and ‘legend’ are frequently overused words, but they apply perfectly here. We’re thrilled to have Brian Wilson on the Da Capo list.”

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 03:42:42 PM »

Fine wrote the really excellent BB reunion piece that was in RS over the summer ...

If the BW book is anything near that level of quality or insight, we could have something pretty special.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-beach-boys-last-wave-20120621
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 03:44:07 PM »

I'm cautiously optimistic. Hope it's not redundant next to this one:

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 03:46:21 PM »

As long as there are lots of scenes like this, I'll be happy. (This guy gets Brian.)

"Those are nice pants," says Brian Wilson to a woman sitting next to him on the flight from Tampa to New York. "Are they cotton or something?"

"Cotton blend, I think," the woman responds, hesitantly.

"What are you drinking?"

"Bloody Mary."

"Vodka? Is it good?"

"A little strong."

Wilson laughs, a little too loudly. "That's good," he says. "Those are really nice pants."

Then he closes his eyes and munches some nuts. After a while, he tries to pick up the conversation.

"You keep stirring it!"

"It's too strong if I don't."

"How you feeling? A little woozy?"

"It takes more than one. Do you drink?"

"Not really. Do you feel relaxed?"

"Yes. You?"

"Very."

Then, after another long pause, Wilson says, "What day is it?"

"Sunday. [Laughs] Have you been flying a lot?"

"Yeah, we're in a band. We're called the Beach Boys."
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 03:48:39 PM »

Finally, we'll get to read Brian's real autobiography?

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 03:56:32 PM »

Sweet

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 04:05:05 PM »

Looking forward to it! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 04:19:36 PM »

People who remember the last "autobigraphy" written by Landy and Gold around 1990 will ask themselves, "What will be in this book that wasn't in the last one?" Well, obviously the last 13 years of his life will be written about, but it will be very interesting to see what more 'revelations' will come out in the new one covering the years of his childhood years up to 1990 that wasn't included in the last "Brian Wilson" autobiography.

And there are other people who will ask themselves (and others), "Why do we need another Brian Wilson autobiography"? And the hardcore fans in the know will answer, "Because it wasn't done right the first time!".
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 04:45:29 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 04:23:05 PM »

It might actually be readable, for one thing! WIBN is one of the worst books I've ever read. If it weren't for the fact that I love me some B-Pain, I'd have thrown it out. I still might.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 04:23:55 PM »

Here's hopin' that BW writes the whole thing himself.  Book would be about ten pages held together by one staple, and over half of it discusses the film Norbit.  

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 04:30:49 PM »

Natural tie-in to the new Brian biopic.  Brian really has a great marketing team going these days!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
G.C
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 04:37:01 PM »

Great news!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 05:15:40 PM »

Natural tie-in to the new Brian biopic.  Brian really has a great marketing team going these days!

Was just about to say that.

I guess this means the biopic is seriously getting made this time.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 05:26:00 PM »

From Brian's site

Beach Boys, to Write Long-Awaited Autobiography Da Capo Press to Publish in Fall 2015
April 14, 2013

BOSTON, MA (April 15, 2013) - Da Capo Press, a member of the Perseus Books Group, announced today that it has acquired US rights to publish the autobiography of music legend Brian Wilson. Da Capo Executive Editor Ben Schafer made the acquisition from Marc Gerald, Head of the US Literary Division of the Agency Group.

“I’ve been working harder in the last ten years than I ever did in my whole career,” Brian Wilson says. “And I love it! I love working. I started the Beach Boys when I was still in high school, and I guess I’ve never spent too much time thinking about all the things we went through—all the good times and bad times. I don’t like to dwell on the bad times, it makes me sad in my heart. But I feel a little stronger now. And I’m feeling a little bit like maybe now is a good time to look back.”

As the chief songwriter and producer of the Beach Boys, Brian Wilson has been making music for over fifty years—and during that time has recorded some of the most iconic songs in American rock. Pet Sounds, Wilson’s masterwork from 1966, was named the #2 best album in rock history by Rolling Stone. Inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1988 and the recipient of a Kennedy Center Honor in 2007, Wilson most recently recorded the critically acclaimed That’s Why God Made the Radio with the Beach Boys and joined the group for their worldwide 50th anniversary tour in 2012. In February of this year he received a Grammy Award for Best Historical Album for The SMiLE Sessions.

For his memoir Wilson will be working with Rolling Stone and Men’s Journal editor Jason Fine. Wilson will describe, for the first time, the epic highs and lows of his life—from his tumultuous relationship with his father, the loss of his mother and brothers, his fears about live performance, and the struggles he faced to lead the Beach Boys away from surf music into experimental terrain to his remarkable personal and professional comeback from drug addiction and mental illness with the support of his second wife, Melinda. He will share a new level of emotional honesty never before expressed in earlier books about him.

John Radziewicz, Publisher of Da Capo Press, says: “On every level—musical, personal, cultural—this is a story that begs to be told. ‘Icon’ and ‘legend’ are frequently overused words, but they apply perfectly here. We’re thrilled to have Brian Wilson on the Da Capo list.”

Fall of 2015 Huh Blimey this will be out before the MIC Box Set  ( says Phil C )  LOL
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 05:34:42 PM »

Natural tie-in to the new Brian biopic.  Brian really has a great marketing team going these days!

Better late then never about the great marketing...  Shocked
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 05:35:40 PM by lostbeachboy » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 05:52:18 PM »

The C50 was a textbook example of great marketing until the Mike fires Brian debacle.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 05:58:09 PM »

The C50 was a textbook example of great marketing until the Mike fires Brian debacle.

The new autobio will include what Melinda told Brian to think about that

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2013, 06:16:05 PM »

Melinda is determined. I wish Brian wasn't doing this.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2013, 06:34:14 PM »

Melinda is determined. I wish Brian wasn't doing this.

Well, having a Rolling Stone writer involved is a hell of a lot better than  Landy. I will buy this book.

And just think about all the Smiley Smile threads it will bring forth.  Jedi Duel

SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2013, 06:43:01 PM »

Is it too early to put in a pre-order at amazon.com? Wink
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 06:47:05 PM »

Just outta curiosity what was great marketing about the reunion?
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 06:54:17 PM »

While it sounds intriguing, I see nothing good coming out of this.  His previous writings have been less than illuminating - 2fer booklet notes? And interviewers rarely get more than one sentence responses from Brian.  I suspect the cowriter/ collaborator will have to rely on other sources for stories and then get Brian's "take" on the story.  Brian's been asked about every aspect of the BB's story and his personal history over the years, what new does he really have to add?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 06:57:30 PM »

Just take Brian out for dinner, order him a hot sizzling steak and sit a cute blond beside him and he'll talk for hours.

Best biography ever.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2013, 07:06:45 PM »

Just outta curiosity what was great marketing about the reunion?

Holy crap, were you living in a cave?

Starting with the Grammy Awards "Do It Again", new top 10 album and single,  huge tour sellouts, fedtivals, Live at Rolling Stone,  C50 logo, videos, the Walmart sampler, QVC appearsnce,.... lots more and I wasn't even paying that  close attention.

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2013, 07:54:37 PM »

The beginning of Brian's biography, as relayed to me:

Hi, my name is Brian Wilson. I am taller than my two brothers, Carl and Dennis, and older, too. Yet I'm still kicking. I once wrote a song for Carl, "God Only Knows". He sang like an angel, just beautiful. Dennis was always a troublemaker. He f***ed my wife once.  My mom convinced me to have him in our group, the Beach Boys. I originally only wanted Carl in the group.

My cousin Mike Love, I remember, always had a very distinctive voice. He was a great bass vocalist and stood out in the mix. He was perfect for the Beach Boys. That's why I used him right away for "409" and "Surfin' Safari". I knew people would flip for his voice, and they did.

The last member of the group, besides myself, was Al Jardine. We both played football for Hawthorne High. I ran the wrong play at quarterback and got our halfback, Al, creamed. I think he broke his leg. Or was it his elbow? At any rate, he was a bit sore with me after but later agreed to form the group with me when we were at El Camino college.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 08:02:17 PM by Murry » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx