gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 12:14:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carry Me Home  (Read 28095 times)
Nicko1234
« Reply #150 on: April 19, 2013, 01:55:24 AM »

Because there are multiple good previously unreleased Dennis songs, and because the people putting the box together aren't imbeciles.

Indeed. Sorry, that's not how I interpreted AGD's comment.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 19, 2013, 02:01:34 AM »

It could just use a few more takes.

Nah...it's all there, all good, it's just a very unflattering monitor mix. With the smile stuff, even when it's unmixed, it's pretty easy to tell what they were going for, because there were like, three tracks with multiple instruments on each. What they were basically going for was a live capture of musicians playing in a room. On sessions like these, with more tracks and opportunity for overdubbing, only a finished, final mix would really reveal what the track was meant to sound like. They could have totally dropped the lap steel, added masses of tape delay to the 'oohs', there could be synth parts that are buried in this rough.

I mean, sure, they may have added some bits and pieces before getting to a final version- none of us could know now, but certainly, it'd be possible to make a finished mix *just* with the bits we've heard.

Now, "I'm going your way" sounds unfinished...there clearly would have been more parts added to that- probably along the lines of 'it's about time', and it's an obvious scratch vocal. I bet Dennis's vocal on Carry Me Home was intended to sound like that- super fragile. It's a perfect fit for the song.

I think you're right to say that Carry Me Home can be cleaned up to have a nice mix, a good example would be how awful the mixes of the booted Bambu material sound compared to the POB re-release.

The Bambu version of Baby Blue is far better than the version on LA. Bruce really shredded that one. Backing vocals are almost gone and that harp playing through the entire song is edited out. But then again Bruce botched everything productionwise for LA. There is hardly a backing track on many of the songs, and it is usually very low compared to the vocals and 'thinned' out.
Nicko1234
« Reply #152 on: April 19, 2013, 02:03:03 AM »

The Bambu version of Baby Blue is far better than the version on LA. Bruce really shredded that one. Backing vocals are almost gone and that harp playing through the entire song is edited out. But then again Bruce botched everything productionwise for LA. There is hardly a backing track on many of the songs, and it is usually very low compared to the vocals and 'thinned' out.

Bruce wasn't the only producer on that album so harsh to blame him for all its perceived faults.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 19, 2013, 02:06:48 AM »

Bruce wasn't the only producer on that album so harsh to blame him for all its perceived faults.

I like Carl to much to blame him, but if he was part of that decision making then my criticism will include him. LA's music is rather good but production is lacking, making it more slumber-like music. Then again, most production after Holland was rather weak compared to what it had previously been.
Nicko1234
« Reply #154 on: April 19, 2013, 02:09:57 AM »

I like Carl to much to blame him, but if he was part of that decision making then my criticism will include him. LA's music is rather good but production is lacking, making it more slumber-like music. Then again, most production after Holland was rather weak compared to what it had previously been.

Dennis and Guercio may have had a part to play too.

Al produced Lady Lynda on his own so probably had little to do with the rest of the album.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: April 19, 2013, 03:15:45 AM »

My worry for the box is that they will keep holding out on stuff. If they put everything they have on this, then what do they put on the next compilation they want to sell? In saying that, its been quite a while since Hawthorne came out so maybe they will throw everything on MIC

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 19, 2013, 03:31:11 AM »

My worry for the box is that they will keep holding out on stuff. If they put everything they have on this, then what do they put on the next compilation they want to sell? In saying that, its been quite a while since Hawthorne came out so maybe they will throw everything on MIC

Yeah, it's been twelve years since the last rarities comp we've seen. In another twelve years the CD format might not even exist any more, and it's fairly unlikely that the band themselves will still be here (awful though it is to think of). I'm pretty sure they know this is the last chance to get anything releasable out. If they do release another best-of in future and want to stick a track on to draw in the hardcore fans, there are plenty of live shows they could take a track or two from, but it may well be that last year's collection ends up being the last best-of they release as well...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Nicko1234
« Reply #157 on: April 19, 2013, 03:46:04 AM »

I really wouldn't see the point of that. Did Hawthorne even sell anyway? And they must know that only the hardest of hardcore fans would buy the box set if it didn't contain an appealing track selection.
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 19, 2013, 05:25:14 AM »

The Bambu version of Baby Blue is far better than the version on LA. Bruce really shredded that one. Backing vocals are almost gone and that harp playing through the entire song is edited out.

I'll have to listen again...I can't hear past Carls over loud vocal intro and the lack of the Dennis lead on the boot.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: April 19, 2013, 09:27:39 AM »

Because there are multiple good previously unreleased Dennis songs, and because the people putting the box together aren't imbeciles.

Shame, because that's exactly what I meant.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #160 on: April 19, 2013, 11:16:55 AM »

I too misunderstood your comment. The way it read was as if you were saying the chances of their being more than one unreleased DW song on the box is unlikely. Very relieved to hear you meant otherwise!
Nicko1234
« Reply #161 on: April 19, 2013, 12:00:16 PM »

Good to hear.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx