gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 10:57:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carry Me Home  (Read 28093 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2013, 10:19:43 PM »

I meant those. I've only heard two of those shows. Never heard a soundboard of IGAF other than audience recordings.

Many thanks for the clarification Mikie, that's how I thought things were. Ah, who knows, maybe one day something may surface, maybe a radio station concert recording…

“We live in divisive times.”
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2013, 10:23:13 PM »

What does "confirmation" mean though? Stebbins or not...

If so, we're looking at some pretty spineless guys if Mike gets to decide anything/everything all on his own....

Jon and, I believe AGD, have both said Mike vetoed it. I don't know much more than what's on that thread.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2013, 10:26:27 PM »

I don't doubt he vetoed it, but I'm trying to understand how it works out in a band comprised of (at the time of Holland) 7 members where if one of the 7 members vetoes a song: that's it! It's gone! ..... Assuming (as we all seem to in order to make Mike look even worse) that the remaining 6 members voted FOR the song's inclusion.

Is this how it works???
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 10:27:40 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2013, 10:30:22 PM »

I don't doubt he vetoed it, but I'm trying to understand how it works out in a band comprised of (at the time of Holland) 7 members where if one of the 7 members vetoes a song: that's it! It's gone! ..... Assuming (as we all seem to in order to make Mike look even worse) that the remaining 6 members voted FOR the song's inclusion.

Is this how it works???
As I understand it, as a BRI principal, he has veto power.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2013, 10:31:44 PM »

Is this how it works???

So, if one out of 7 members disagrees with a decision: that one person assumes all decision power?
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2013, 10:35:21 PM »

Is this how it works???

So, if one out of 7 members disagrees with a decision: that one person assumes all decision power?
7? Just 4. Brian, Mike, Al and Carl's estate.

I'm like that last person to be discussing the intricacies of BRI.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 10:38:15 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2013, 10:37:22 PM »

Is this how it works???

Oh, but I'm talking about Carry Me Home and Holland.... The decision to scrap CMH from the lineup for that album.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2013, 10:39:39 PM »

Is this how it works???

Oh, but I'm talking about Carry Me Home and Holland.... The decision to scrap CMH from the lineup for that album.
Oh yeah, definitely.  Thought we were talking WIBNTLA veto from SOS.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2013, 10:40:29 PM »

Isn't there at least one radio broadcast of I've Got A Friend, thereby making it a professional recording? I'm not saying whether there is a multi track soundboard recording, but a radio broadcast would still be miles above a tape placed somewhere in an audience.

By far the most common live version of "I've Got A Friend" that has been bootlegged is from the Radio Luxembourg broadcast of the Beach Boys concert on May 10th, 1972 at Concert Hall of the Villa, Louvigny, Luxembourg. It's either an audience recording or someone recorded it right off the radio. Dennis also sang it the night before in Munich, Germany. I always wondered if the radio station recorded a copy and it's stashed somewhere in a box. Daryl and Dennis Dragon and Toni Tennille were on stage, and that was one helluva setlist with Blondie singing Wild Honey along with the band playing a couple of songs from the Carl & The Passions album.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2013, 10:42:00 PM »

I'm just trying to clarify if/how Mike alone had enough power to decide all on his own and with complete authority to exclude Carry Me Home from Holland.... I just can't see how that would work unless Mike threatened to quit the band or something over the song..... Either everyone was simply terrified of Mike and would abide by whatever the hell he wished OR other members didn't want the song included either and didn't fight for it or simply ceded to Mike in order to avoid airing their thoughts.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 10:43:08 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2013, 10:49:57 PM »

Where exactly does the "Mike vetoed Carry Me Home because it was a downer" story come from?

Isn't it Mike who exhorts: "That was a motherfucker" at the end of the boot?

Yup... four years later in fall 1976. That comment is taken from the Love You 'presentation' session. Nothing to do with "CMH" whatsoever.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2013, 10:53:56 PM »

I'm just trying to clarify if/how Mike alone had enough power to decide all on his own and with complete authority to exclude Carry Me Home from Holland.... I just can't see how that would work unless Mike threatened to quit the band or something over the song..... Either everyone was simply terrified of Mike and would abide by whatever the hell he wished OR other members didn't want the song included either and didn't fight for it or simply ceded to Mike in order to avoid airing their thoughts.
I don't know anything about Mike nixing CMH.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2013, 10:56:50 PM »

Where exactly does the "Mike vetoed Carry Me Home because it was a downer" story come from?

Yup... four years later in fall 1976. That comment is taken from the Love You 'presentation' session. Nothing to do with "CMH" whatsoever.

Thank you, AGD.

I suppose I am a case study on how these Beach Boys rumors get spread around based upon the most slippery grasp on facts.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2013, 11:00:26 PM »

The poster at the top of the thread.

As was explained by 3 different people (including myself) on another thread, Mike's statement was copied from a different bootleg of "Love You" demos and pasted at the end of "Carry Me Home" for inclusion on the California Feeling bootleg 'album'. So it's out of context - Mike was listening to Brian play "I'll Bet He's Nice" or whatever the song was in '77 on the piano and it was recorded and the snippet at the end with Mike talking was tacked on the end of "Carry Me Home".

And wasn't it Mike who proclaimed I've Got A Friend one of his favorite songs he's every heard?

I think Mike said that about "I've Got A Friend" while introducing the song in May, 1972, didn't he?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 11:07:19 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Nicko1234
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2013, 12:03:19 AM »

Confirm what now? I'm a fan and a collector. I've known for many years now (when you were still playing with your Hot Wheels) that there were only audience (or off the radio) recordings of the song we're talking about here. No soundboard recordings exist of it so far - at least that I know of. I pretty much know what concerts are out there that are soundboard quality and which ones aren't. I don't need anyone to test me about what I know. You want to play games and drill and interrogate somebody like a police detective about what they know and try to make them look stupid and embarrass them, go do that with the other kiddies on the board - I'm the wrong guy.

Sorry but I think you need to read through the posts again because I wasn't interrogating you about your knowledge at all.

You made the comment about live I've Got A Friend recordings and another poster asked you if you were talking about soundboard recordings or not. Your next post didn't clarify either way which is why myself and Andrew Hickey both asked you to elaborate. That's all.

Sadly I've never played with Hot Wheels.
Nicko1234
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2013, 12:17:37 AM »

It seems like everyone's posts (mine included) in this thread have been badly worded and open to misinterpretation.  Cheesy

I don't think anyone has mentioned Mike vetoing Carry Me Home from Holland at all . Some people think that Mike will veto this and Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live Again from the new box set. I don't think it's ever been claimed that Mike vetoed songs way back when because he couldn't. Several songs that he disliked were included on albums after all.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2013, 12:28:45 AM »

Mike never vetoed CMH off Holland. CMH was just a track that fell by the wayside in favour of other songs being included - every album has them. As for vetoing it off later comps, anyone of them could shoot down a song suggestion. From my understanding the 4 way vote from BRI has to be unanimous for a track to be included, hence Brian voting 'Let Him Run Wild' from the 30th box.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Paulos
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2013, 01:28:50 AM »

I think the decision to not include Carry Me Home on Holland was down to Dennis, if I recall correctly it's mentioned in Tim White's book The Nearest Faraway Place.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2013, 02:07:35 AM »

I imagine the box set's tracklist has been set in stone for a while now and I'd speculate that all our speculating is nothing more than speculation.

That said, I'd love to see that Carry Me Home/Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live Again pairing, and if they have found a live soundboard of I've Got A Friend, then all the better; seems a lot of the speculating about the tracklist is centred more around Dennis's work than any other individual BB now and that'd be a knock-out trio.

If the backing track for IGAF is complete, then I wouldn't even object to a Dennis Dikken-style vocal as was done for Holy Man on the POD/Bambu set;  it's a song that deserves to be heard complete – how about an Al or Brian lead vocal?

“We live in divisive times.”
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2013, 05:12:23 AM »

I think the decision to not include Carry Me Home on Holland was down to Dennis, if I recall correctly it's mentioned in Tim White's book The Nearest Faraway Place.

I have a feeling you're correct. I have a vague memory that it was Dennis himself that thought the song was too depressing or word to that effect. And he was right - Holland is a mostly uplifting album.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2013, 05:32:49 AM »

And you know this, how? If any of them have any pride in their work, then they all care. It may not be Mike who makes the the final call, but if he is unhappy with the way a song sounds, I'm sure he will speak his peace about it to Brian, the producers, etc.

What? if Mike or any of the other boys have better stuff than carry me home then Id be delighted to hear it. put the good stuff on the set! its been long enough, 40 years FFS!!!we will all be dead soon!!! Tongue
What do you mean, what? Geez, we know some of the guys had issues with some song selections when putting together the 93 box set. We just talked about them shorting material by Dennis on said box set.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Nicko1234
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2013, 05:42:07 AM »

What do you mean, what? Geez, we know some of the guys had issues with some song selections when putting together the 93 box set. We just talked about them shorting material by Dennis on said box set.

Nobody in this thread has mentioned Dennis' material on the 1993 box set have they? Brian vetoed Let Him Run Wild and Al vetoed Loop De Loop but I haven't heard of anyone vetoing specific Dennis songs.

Jon Stebbins posted in another thread that Carl had to fight to get stuff on there but he didn't specify whether he had to fight the compilers or his bandmates.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2013, 05:50:46 AM »

Nobody in this thread has mentioned Dennis' material on the 1993 box set have they? Brian vetoed Let Him Run Wild and Al vetoed Loop De Loop but I haven't heard of anyone vetoing specific Dennis songs.

Jon Stebbins posted in another thread that Carl had to fight to get stuff on there but he didn't specify whether he had to fight the compilers or his bandmates.
No, we don't know, but does it really matter? The point is that in the past Dennis tends to get the short end of the stick. So, that could happen here too. Whether it is a band member, producer or exec, there is always the chance something that we think may be great gets left off of these compilations. Like WIBNTLA getting axed from the final tracklist of TWOTS.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Nicko1234
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2013, 05:59:56 AM »

No, we don't know, but does it really matter? The point is that in the past Dennis tends to get the short end of the stick. So, that could happen here too. Whether it is a band member, producer or exec, there is always the chance something that we think may be great gets left off of these compilations. Like WIBNTLA getting axed from the final tracklist of TWOTS.

I think it matters quite a lot. David Leaf, for example, isn't involved this time so songs which Brian didn't write may be given a fairer deal (before anyone comments, of course most of the songs on the set will have a Brian writing credit but hopefully other merit-worthy songs will be included).

I completely disagree that Dennis tends to get the short end of the stick when it comes to the rarities comps.

Ten Years of Harmony had 2 unreleased songs on it. 1 sung by Dennis and 1 written by Dennis.
Endless Harmony had 5 (genuinely) unreleased songs on it. 2 by Dennis.
Hawthorne had 2 (genuinely) unreleased songs on it. 1 by Dennis.
Summer Love Songs had 1 unreleased song on it. By Dennis.

TWOTS was essentially a best of volume 2 compilation so I'm not sure why people are being so pessimistic.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2013, 07:49:36 AM »

Exactly. Dennis has always had a good shake on the various comps whenever rarities are involved. He didn't write the hits for the band - Brian and Mike did, so the Brian/Mike material is always going to be the most predominant on any comp. When you take into account Dennis was about the 4th most profilic songwriter writing for the band, then he definitely gets the lion's share of the rarities being put out.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx