gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680909 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 08, 2024, 04:20:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carry Me Home  (Read 28168 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2013, 02:31:00 PM »

We know next to nothing about the recording of Carry Me Home. Took us years to find out that there's only a studio instrumental track of "I've Got A Friend" available - other than that a couple of live versions. Carry Me Home could be a demo, a second or third generation from the master finished track - we don't know. Nothing has surfaced of the song since it was booted in the early 80's in less than stellar quality sound. If they found the original master in the vaults, don't you think we would have known by now?

Now, my question again. Did Toni Tennille sing on it?

Was Daryl Dragon involved?

There's an article somewhere where Dennis describes the song back in the early 70's. Can't remember where it is.....

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2013, 02:48:53 PM »

Took us years to find out that there's only a studio instrumental track of "I've Got A Friend" available - other than that a couple of live versions…

Whoa… sorry Mikie, can't answer your CMH queries, but am I reading right about I've Got A Friend? There are a couple of soundboard recordings? I've only heard pretty poor audience (assumed) recordings but that song has been stuck in my head for a long time, it's a stunner.

Another bar for the box set to reach!

“We live in divisive times.”
Nicko1234
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2013, 02:52:06 PM »

Whoa… sorry Mikie, can't answer your CMH queries, but am I reading right about I've Got A Friend? There are a couple of soundboard recordings? I've only heard pretty poor audience (assumed) recordings but that song has been stuck in my head for a long time, it's a stunner.

Another bar for the box set to reach!

I doubt that's what he meant. It's always been said before that only those poor audience recordings remain unless something new has been unearthed anyway.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2013, 02:54:32 PM »

Took us years to find out that there's only a studio instrumental track of "I've Got A Friend" available - other than that a couple of live versions…

He doesn't say there were any soundboard recordings, just that live recordings exist.
I *believe* that no soundboards exist for any 1971 shows (though I'm sure that someone will contradict me now), and that the only soundboards existing from 1972 are from the shows recorded for In Concert, so from November. I don't know precisely when I've Got A Friend was in the set, but the only recordings I have of it are from late 1971 and May 1972, so I suspect no soundboards exist, and they may never have been made...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2013, 03:10:09 PM »

I've Got A Friend. At least two live versions exist - one from Germany (Luxemborg?).

An instrumental track for the song, recorded in a studio, exists. No vocal, just the instrumental track. Per Alan Boyd.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Nicko1234
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2013, 03:19:29 PM »

I've Got A Friend. At least two live versions exist - one from Germany (Luxemborg?).

Nobody is denying that. It's the quality of said versions that is being questioned?
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2013, 03:29:03 PM »

I have four audience recordings -- University of Georgia June 1972, Munich May 9 1972, Radio Luxembourg May 10 1972, Long Beach December 71.

Do you mean those, or do you mean that soundboards exist of two shows?

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2013, 03:50:55 PM »

I meant those. I've only heard two of those shows. Never heard a soundboard of IGAF other than audience recordings.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 03:53:14 PM by Mikie » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2013, 03:52:34 PM »

Nobody is denying that. It's the quality of said versions that is being questioned?

Damn, you're a tough nut to crack, aren't ya?  You'll nit-pick until the cows come home.  You high or what??

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2013, 03:54:38 PM »

Damn, you're a tough nut to crack, aren't ya?  You'll nit-pick until the cows come home.  You high or what??
LOL

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2013, 03:55:08 PM »

Comment of the day by Mikie. LOL LOL LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2013, 03:58:15 PM »

I meant those. I've only heard two of those shows. Never heard a soundboard of IGAF other than audience recordings.

You've heard one of them, you've heard them all, unfortunately. Lovely song buried under a ton of tape hiss.

Nicko1234
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2013, 04:20:37 PM »

Sadly not.  Smiley

I would have thought it was pretty obvious though when the earlier poster was wrongly getting excited about the possibility of I've Got a Friend appearing on the box set that you had to confirm whether they were soundboard quality recordings or not.  Tongue
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2013, 08:26:15 PM »

And you know this, how? If any of them have any pride in their work, then they all care. It may not be Mike who makes the the final call, but if he is unhappy with the way a song sounds, I'm sure he will speak his peace about it to Brian, the producers, etc.

What? if Mike or any of the other boys have better stuff than carry me home then Id be delighted to hear it. put the good stuff on the set! its been long enough, 40 years FFS!!!we will all be dead soon!!! Tongue

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2013, 08:30:48 PM »

And you know this, how? If any of them have any pride in their work, then they all care. It may not be Mike who makes the the final call, but if he is unhappy with the way a song sounds, I'm sure he will speak his peace about it to Brian, the producers, etc.

What? if Mike or any of the other boys have better stuff than carry me home then Id be delighted to hear it. put the good stuff on the set! its been long enough, 40 years FFS!!!we will all be dead soon!!! Tongue
FFS, you got that right!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2013, 08:53:55 PM »

I hopefully got another 50 years in me.

I'm personally excited for the 100th anniversary  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2013, 09:02:36 PM »

I hopefully got another 50 years in me.

I'm personally excited for the 100th anniversary  Grin
I might have 50 but I'll be deaf and blind.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2013, 09:41:07 PM »

Where exactly does the "Mike vetoed Carry Me Home because it was a downer" story come from?

Isn't it Mike who exhorts: "That was a motherfucker" at the end of the boot? And wasn't it Mike who proclaimed I've Got A Friend one of his favorite songs he's every heard? .... And if Dennis, Carl, Al, Blondie, Ricky, Brian: or at least Dennis/Carl wanted Carry Me Home on Holland, would Mike's single veto be enough to send it to the dustbin of history?

For the record: if Carry Me Home had closed Holland, the album would be hailed as the Beach Boys other masterpiece....
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 10:38:16 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2013, 09:46:36 PM »

Where exactly does the "Mike vetoed Carry Me Home because it was a downer" story come from?

Isn't it Mike who exhorts: "That was a motherfucker" at the end of the boot? And wasn't it Mike who proclaimed I've Got A Friend one of his favorite songs he's every heard? .... And if Dennis, Carl, Al, Blondie, Ricky, Brian: or at least Dennis/Carl wanted Carry Me Home on Holland, would Mike's single veto be enough to send it to the dustbin of history?

For the record: if Carry Me Home had closed Holland the album would be hailed as the Beach Boys other masterpiece....
Because he was the one who vetoed WIBNTLA.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2013, 09:47:57 PM »

and Mike's single veto was enough?

I sense more to the story..... Other, less verbal or cocky veto-ers
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2013, 09:53:33 PM »

and Mike's single veto was enough?

I sense more to the story..... Other, less verbal or cocky veto-ers

Yeah, Jon S posted confirmation on the WIBNTLA thread going. Sure Mike thought it wasn't upbeat enough for the collection. Yeah, CMH would have been killer on Holland.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2013, 09:58:59 PM »

What does "confirmation" mean though? Stebbins or not...

If so, we're looking at some pretty spineless guys if Mike gets to decide anything/everything all on his own....
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2013, 10:04:37 PM »

Isn't there at least one radio broadcast of I've Got A Friend, thereby making it a professional recording? I'm not saying whether there is a multi track soundboard recording, but a radio broadcast would still be miles above a tape placed somewhere in an audience.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2013, 10:07:05 PM »

Damn, you're a tough nut to crack, aren't ya?  You'll nit-pick until the cows come home.  You high or what??

Sadly not.  Smiley

I would have thought it was pretty obvious though when the earlier poster was wrongly getting excited about the possibility of I've Got a Friend appearing on the box set that you had to confirm whether they were soundboard quality recordings or not.  Tongue

Confirm what now? I'm a fan and a collector. I've known for many years now (when you were still playing with your Hot Wheels) that there were only audience (or off the radio) recordings of the song we're talking about here. No soundboard recordings exist of it so far - at least that I know of. I pretty much know what concerts are out there that are soundboard quality and which ones aren't. I don't need anyone to test me about what I know. You want to play games and drill and interrogate somebody like a police detective about what they know and try to make them look stupid and embarrass them, go do that with the other kiddies on the board - I'm the wrong guy.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 11:13:47 PM by Mikie » Logged

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2013, 10:12:14 PM »

Isn't there at least one radio broadcast of I've Got A Friend, thereby making it a professional recording? I'm not saying whether there is a multi track soundboard recording, but a radio broadcast would still be miles above a tape placed somewhere in an audience.
Chances are high there is a soundborad recording. Will we get it, who knows?

Mr. Stebbins, do you know if one exists?

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx