gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 05:16:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is the music from Pet Sounds and Smile rock music?  (Read 4407 times)
Pet Sounder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2013, 02:29:54 PM »

Seems like the rock music classification isn't the best way to describe what's found on these albums (along with a scattering of other BB tunes).  Or is it?
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 02:30:52 PM »

No.
Next question.
(I think this should be moved to Thread For Various Insignificant Questions...)

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 05:49:35 PM »

That depends on how you define "rock music."
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 06:12:55 PM »

Yeah it rocks. It really, really rocks.
Jason
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 06:29:37 PM »

The Beach Boys were a rock band. Yes, Pet Sounds and Smile were and are rock music.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 07:44:48 PM »

Fire is pretty rocking song, if you just go by the fact that it has loud guitars and drums in it.

The live versions of a lot of the Pet Sounds material is pretty rocking too, the In Concert version of Wouldn't It Be Nice is a completely different beast than the album version.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 07:49:56 PM »

There are three types of music. Classical, jazz and pop music. Pet Sounds and Smile weren't neither classical nor jazz, then it was pop.

Trust me, this line of thinking saves you a lot of trouble in discerning 'pop' and 'rock'.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 08:45:53 PM by Dancing Bear » Logged

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 09:19:10 PM »

Brian said of SMILE its a "teenage symphony to God"

so it can't be rock -- or he was just high as a kite when he said it.  Brian's Trip

To me Pet Sounds is a lot less Rock-n-Roll and more Pop-rock with the wide array
of instruments used to record it. There are also symphonic elements to PS an SMILE
and more than a few important people in the industry start to liken Brian to the great
classical composers with the advent of these albums.

There is just way too much more to them to just label it "rock"

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 09:27:06 PM »

it's all just music MAAAAAAAAAN

several of the songs on Pet Sounds can be described as jazz with classical elements.

i would define both PS and SMiLE as rock music, a broader term than rock'n'roll. but there are lots of "rocking" moments on both albums.

Wouldn't It Be Nice has that rockin' accordion sound. That's Not Me has those toms. I'm Waiting For The Day totally rocks. Here Today, Sloop, Ego, etc. They all rock in their own way.

'Gee' is considered by many as the first rock'n'roll song. Brian included it for a reason. SMiLE was traditional and modern rock all at once. still is.
the Heroes chants are classic doo wop and there are some very rocking moments on Cabin Essence, Wind Chimes, Child, and Mrs. OLeary's Cow to name a few.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 09:29:33 PM by bossaroo » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 01:12:24 AM »

it's all just music MAAAAAAAAAN

Yes. PS and SMiLE Rock music, no. Not every music that rocks is Rock music, though. Rock music is overrated, anyway. Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 03:33:25 AM »

There are three types of music. Classical, jazz and pop music.

You are joking, right?

Just ignoring the fact that classical music only covers the period between 1750 and 1825, where would you out all the different genres of world music, which are as different from each other as chalk and cheese. Where would plainsong go? What about when what is now considered jazz, or classical, would have been considered pop?

I thought I had narrow views! LOL
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 03:39:52 AM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 03:46:54 AM »

You are joking, right?

Just ignoring the fact that classical music only covers the period between 1750 and 1825, where would you out all the different genres of world music, which are as different from each other as chalk and cheese. Where would plainsong go? What about when what is now considered jazz, or classical, would have been considered pop?

There are two types of music -- music I like, and bad music. Wink

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 05:28:41 AM »

After the Surf rock days the Beach Boys became a pop band. They still area pop band. For some reason people want everything to be RAWWWK N' ROLLLLLL but to me the Beach Boys are quintessentially a pop band.
For comparison you can consider the Beatles, a band which made more 'rock' sounding music than the Beach Boys yet are labelled a pop band.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 05:47:41 AM »

I think of Pet Sounds and SMiLE as art music. Or progressive (in the literal sense and not the genre).

Soul music, and I don't mean black soul, I mean from the heart.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 07:39:45 AM »

You are joking, right?

That's a good one! Smiley If I ever should choose a signature for my posts, this would be it! Cheesy

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2013, 07:48:21 AM »

You are joking, right?

Yeah, sorry Dancing Bear, but while that might result in a workable system for you, it's not especially accurate.

I try to avoid over-categorizing music, probably in large part because I'm so prone to organizing things that I'd drive myself quite literally insane if I did, but also because music cross-pollinates too easily and often. But there are many basic styles of music outside of classical (even if you use that term to mean "serious" or "art" music, though like (Stephen Newcome) I end up quibbling with that due to the specificity of that term in formal study of art music), jazz, and pop. And those three styles of music interbreed as much as any other.

For example, how does someone categorize Duke Ellington's Black, Brown & Beige, or Andrew Hill's whole catalog? They are every bit as serious and complex as "classical music," but they use jazz. Many, many other jazz composers fit into that same dilemma. What about "classical" composers who use jazz ideas in their music? Equally common issue for the past hundred years or so. "Classical" composers have also used folk--which you omitted from your list, but presumably could fit into the folk category.

What is Frank Zappa, who used all three on a regular basis, and often within the same albums and songs?

I recommend the original poster and everyone else not worry too much about how to classify this or any album. You can find the influences within it and discuss where they come from, just as you can with music that has come out since and been influenced by Pet Sounds or Smile. But to say this album is that and that album is this and this person is XYZ...it's a bit of a waste of time unless you're not intending to come to an answer and having the debate just for the fun of it. Because your answer will be incomplete or incoherent.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 01:49:26 PM »

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 02:23:38 PM »

Hmm...."medium rock ballad" doesn't seem like a phrase that would be used in 1966. Wonder when that dates from?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2013, 02:29:28 PM »

Hmm...."medium rock ballad" doesn't seem like a phrase that would be used in 1966. Wonder when that dates from?

Well, the phrase was definitely in use as of 1969:
http://www.elvisinfonet.com/spotlight_suspicious_minds.html
Reviewer Bill Crawford noted, "With his left leg moving like a jack hammer, Elvis runs the gamut of his old favourites. His newest song ‘Suspicious Mind’ is a sensuous medium rock ballad that is sure to sell."

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 07:10:57 PM »

You are joking, right?

Yeah, sorry Dancing Bear, but while that might result in a workable system for you, it's not especially accurate.

I try to avoid over-categorizing music, probably in large part because I'm so prone to organizing things that I'd drive myself quite literally insane if I did, but also because music cross-pollinates too easily and often. But there are many basic styles of music outside of classical (even if you use that term to mean "serious" or "art" music, though like (Stephen Newcome) I end up quibbling with that due to the specificity of that term in formal study of art music), jazz, and pop. And those three styles of music interbreed as much as any other.

For example, how does someone categorize Duke Ellington's Black, Brown & Beige, or Andrew Hill's whole catalog? They are every bit as serious and complex as "classical music," but they use jazz. Many, many other jazz composers fit into that same dilemma. What about "classical" composers who use jazz ideas in their music? Equally common issue for the past hundred years or so. "Classical" composers have also used folk--which you omitted from your list, but presumably could fit into the folk category.

What is Frank Zappa, who used all three on a regular basis, and often within the same albums and songs?

I recommend the original poster and everyone else not worry too much about how to classify this or any album. You can find the influences within it and discuss where they come from, just as you can with music that has come out since and been influenced by Pet Sounds or Smile. But to say this album is that and that album is this and this person is XYZ...it's a bit of a waste of time unless you're not intending to come to an answer and having the debate just for the fun of it. Because your answer will be incomplete or incoherent.
Oh sure. But you know hpw the 'classic rock' types think that rock >>>>>> pop. Claiming that it's all pop music is fun and makes them mad.

Of coiurse there are those Brian Wilson fans who believe that Pet Sounds >>>>> everything except for Gerschwin and beyond. It's fun to piss them off too.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2013, 05:21:13 AM »

Never mind that, it doesn't sound like a phrase I'd use to describe the album version of You Still Believe In Me. Bruce's comments in the auction thread suggest that some of those lead sheets are actually for later tours, and You Still Believe In Me does sound like a medium rock ballad on the In Concert album...

Also - on the album YSBIM is in B, and live in the 70's they played it in C. I'd be certain that's what that sheet is.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 05:22:35 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2013, 11:31:21 AM »

This phrase is designed to describe the tempo, not the genre of music.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2013, 12:35:54 PM »

This phrase is designed to describe the tempo, not the genre of music.

Agree.  A lot of sheet music from that day, and undoubtedly other days, has that"cue" on it.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2013, 01:03:22 PM »

In the wrong key, so probably from a rehearsal for live touring (early 70's?).
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2013, 01:41:22 PM »

Its cosmic American music. Thanks Gram.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx