gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:55:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Made In California set for August 27th!!!!  (Read 127247 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #500 on: June 09, 2013, 05:58:05 AM »

I hope that we might get the whole '65 Chicago show on the new boxset. That would be awesome

To compare with the latest, 2012, live release - yup, that's really likely, isn't it ?  Grin

Never said it was likely  Wink

But after listening to some stuff from '65 again (409, Shut Down and the bootlegged stuff) I think it would be a great thing to have the whole show.
A comparison probably wouldn't make much sense because the circumstances of the shows were totally different. And since the Chicago show would be on a boxset I don't think anyone would try to compare it to a single live album, released in 2013. Never saw that anyone did talk about the differences between the live phases represented on the EH soundtrack very much either.
After all the boys were an exciting live act at that time and I'd welcome any recording from that time. And since we don't have a complete show (except for the Lost Concert) from the official site I think it's time. Chicago '65 or the newly found (last year) BBC show of which "Hushabye" was played on BBC would be so cool.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: June 09, 2013, 06:00:57 AM »

Can we get some news on this thing. Release date is getting close, wouldn't it be nice if Capitol announced it at a decent time so it can build some hype.

I bet we still won't have heard anything by August 1st.

As a matter of fact, I find it had to believe that it will come out in September at all.

If it really is coming out on August 27th then we really should have heard something by now, it's just common sense.

I'm not denying it's existence just baffled by how it's being handled

Well, the apparent clumsiness in handling is not untypical for the representatives of our beloved band.

Unfortunately true.

If any other band were releasing a box set this big the promotion wheels would already be in motion. It takes a few months to get the word out.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: June 09, 2013, 08:02:47 AM »

Unfortunately true.

If any other band were releasing a box set this big the promotion wheels would already be in motion. It takes a few months to get the word out.

As I pointed out many, many pages ago, Harry Nilsson also has a 'career-spanning box set' coming out this year.
As of last February, it was only a rumour, with 'sources close to the record company' saying it was planned, 'probably for summer'.
It was officially announced, with a tracklist, on the fourteenth of May, and it comes out on the 30th of July.

The Monkees have got a three-CD box set coming out. It was announced on the ninth of May, with a release date of the 30th of July -- and the release date and cover art were announced as 'subject to change'.

That suggests that, assuming Universal run on a similar timetable to Sony and Warners, we should expect any announcement to be closer to the release date than most people here are expecting. If August 27th *is* the planned release date, we might expect an announcement some time soon, but we wouldn't expect to have the information already.

This lack of information is nothing unusual, nothing different from how other record labels and other bands behave. Please, please, calm down.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 09, 2013, 08:24:01 AM »

This lack of information is nothing unusual, nothing different from how other record labels and other bands behave. Please, please, calm down.

Couldn't have suggested it in a nicer way than that.  Some people are like school children who complain and squirm around in their seats, impatiently waiting for the bell to ring.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 08:29:53 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 09, 2013, 11:21:00 AM »

omg it's never happening it's cancell the capitol wall of secrecy lies lies lies lies and hidden danger

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 09, 2013, 11:29:57 AM »

Very funny posts this page. Gave me a good chuckle.

Quite possibly the greatest posts of all time. The GREATEST POSTS in the HISTORY OF OUR SPORT.
I am a great believer in recognizing very clever stuff. And the complete opposite, crass stupidity. Thus my post back to you.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #506 on: June 09, 2013, 11:50:41 AM »

I got the joke by runners...it was a reference to former wrestling announcer Tony Schiavone.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 09, 2013, 11:57:00 AM »

Quite possibly the greatest posts of all time. The GREATEST POSTS in the HISTORY OF OUR SPORT.
I am a great believer in recognizing very clever stuff. And the complete opposite, crass stupidity. Thus my post back to you.

Why do you assume I'm being snarky or trying to be clever?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: June 09, 2013, 12:17:34 PM »

Honestly...... I never know when it comes to your posts.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #509 on: June 09, 2013, 12:20:10 PM »

Alright you two...can we not do this?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: June 09, 2013, 12:20:54 PM »

I got the joke by runners...it was a reference to former wrestling announcer Tony Schiavone.
Never heard of the guy Billy. You'll have to PM and explain it to me. Sad

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 09, 2013, 12:26:30 PM »

As two more data points, Sly And The Family Stone's 4-CD career-spanning box set is going to be released on August 27th and was announced last week. The Moody Blues' 17-CD box set came out this week, and was announced on April 10, just under two months before it came out.

If Made In California *is* coming out on August 27th, we should expect an announcement, with tracklisting, at some point in the next two or three weeks. If we haven't heard by the first week of July, we can assume it's not on for the end of August. But nothing having been announced now for a late-August release is *ENTIRELY* consistent with the way box sets are currently publicised.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: June 09, 2013, 12:42:13 PM »

Some people are like school children ... impatiently waiting for the bell to ring.

Just like in that song by the Beach Boys.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #513 on: June 09, 2013, 02:46:56 PM »

All this assuming Mike was in the studio to lay down some vocals... do we have a shot of him in the booth ? Nope, just one standing behind Scott T. who is playing... something.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 09, 2013, 03:17:12 PM »

All this assuming Mike was in the studio to lay down some vocals... do we have a shot of him in the booth ? Nope, just one standing behind Scott T. who is playing... something.
What have Mike's recent studio habits amounted to?  Other than recording vocals, does he, for example, make a habit of showing up between live dates to oversee mixes, or maybe just to hang out with some buddies while he's in town?

I have no idea myself, but maybe some folks here have a better understanding of how often Love swings by the studio, lately, and what he likes to do when he's there?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 03:26:58 PM by Generation42 » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 09, 2013, 03:21:07 PM »

What has Mike's recent studio habits amounted to?  Other than recording vocals, does he, for example, make a habit of showing up between live dates to oversee mixes, or maybe just to hang out with some buddies while he's in town?

I have no idea myself, but maybe some folks here have a better understanding of how often Love swings by the studio, lately, and what he likes to do when he's there?

Mike's a travelin man; he probably owns the heart of some lonely girl that works as a receptionist at the studio.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: June 09, 2013, 03:25:55 PM »

What has Mike's recent studio habits amounted to?  Other than recording vocals, does he, for example, make a habit of showing up between live dates to oversee mixes, or maybe just to hang out with some buddies while he's in town?

Mike's a travelin man; he probably owns the heart of some lonely girl that works as a receptionist at the studio.
You're two-for-two.  Wink
Paulos
« Reply #517 on: June 09, 2013, 03:45:07 PM »

I hope the receptionist doesn't hear about Mike's sweet fraulein down in Berlin town.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 09, 2013, 04:08:43 PM »

Thanks for explaining the joke via PM. Now I get it, my apologies!

zane7570
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: June 09, 2013, 05:48:33 PM »

I hope the receptionist doesn't hear about Mike's sweet fraulein down in Berlin town.

Or his China Doll down in old Hong Kong
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: June 09, 2013, 05:52:37 PM »

That's very true. Scott simply mentioned he was "overdubbing on a Mike Love track" and that he "had a feeling we would hear it." For all we know, Mike could've just been keeping tabs or acting as "overlord" for the session.

Also, perhaps more importantly, and in case anyone missed it in the comments section, a one "Betty Collignon," who is listed as an "Archivist/Administrative Asst. at Boyd Production Group" on her Linkedin page, said  the track "sounded great." So, at the very least, I'm indeed putting my money on something for MIC.  Smiley  

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151703675622774
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 05:53:30 PM by Dave Modny » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #521 on: June 09, 2013, 11:58:19 PM »

BPG have no connection with the box set.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 10, 2013, 12:57:44 AM »

Could Betty still be "attached" to Alan if he was simply working independently/freelance? As an assistant possibly? I mean, she did claim to hear the track in question. Or, is she involved with Mike in some other professional capacity?
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: June 10, 2013, 01:32:44 AM »

Could Betty still be "attached" to Alan if he was simply working independently/freelance? As an assistant possibly? I mean, she did claim to hear the track in question. Or, is she involved with Mike in some other professional capacity?

Betty has lots of connections in the Beach Boys world, with lots of people. It's entirely possible that she heard it through a connection with Boyd, but equally possible she heard it any of half a dozen other ways.

Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: June 10, 2013, 01:40:26 AM »

Betty has lots of connections in the Beach Boys world, with lots of people. It's entirely possible that she heard it through a connection with Boyd, but equally possible she heard it any of half a dozen other ways.

Okay, thanks. I'm just trying to surmise if all this means that it's most likely an archival MIC track....vs. something else altogether (e.g. a ML solo track).
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx