gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:43:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Made In California set for August 27th!!!!  (Read 127323 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 18, 2013, 11:21:39 AM »

NO alternate takes, mixes, mono mixes, stereo mixes, binaural mixes, instrumental mixes, a cappella mixes. Waste of space.

Brrr, i shudder when i read stuff like this. I live for this kind of material and i am wishing and hoping and praying that the box set is filled to the brim with backing tracks, vocals only mixes, and alternate versions. Actually, my dream Beach Boys box set, other than a really solid, maybe shorter, rarities-only set would be an entire set comprised of instrumental and a cappella mixes. I would treasure that like no other worldly possession.
Totally agree. Maybe the hold up is that they found the Good Vibrations vocal tapes and had to mix an a capella version.  Grin

Well.

Wonder what was found hidden away with that rediscovered sessions film footage from last year?

“We live in divisive times.”
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 18, 2013, 11:24:06 AM »

NO alternate takes, mixes, mono mixes, stereo mixes, binaural mixes, instrumental mixes, a cappella mixes. Waste of space.

Brrr, i shudder when i read stuff like this. I live for this kind of material and i am wishing and hoping and praying that the box set is filled to the brim with backing tracks, vocals only mixes, and alternate versions. Actually, my dream Beach Boys box set, other than a really solid, maybe shorter, rarities-only set would be an entire set comprised of instrumental and a cappella mixes. I would treasure that like no other worldly possession.
Totally agree. Maybe the hold up is that they found the Good Vibrations vocal tapes and had to mix an a capella version.  Grin

Well.

Wonder what was found hidden away with that rediscovered sessions film footage from last year?
An alternate ending for the 9th season of the X-Files, I hope.
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 18, 2013, 12:17:42 PM »

When this is released, will this likely be the last box set to be released?

No.  One day, all of this stuff will be out of copyright, and then we can all make and sell our own boxes.

With all the unreleased stuff rumored to be on here, will there be any left?

Yes.  Whether there'll be enough left of quality to justify another major archival release is rather more doubtful though.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: May 18, 2013, 12:34:46 PM »

No.  One day, all of this stuff will be out of copyright, and then we can all make and sell our own boxes.

Only after Disney dissolves. It'll take awhile.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 18, 2013, 01:17:14 PM »

Not in our lifetimes. In the US, copyright term for recorded music is, I believe, life of the author plus seventy years -- and that's only going to keep extending as long as Disney want to keep ownership of Mickey Mouse. In Europe, they just extended it so theoretically the next Beach Boys music to go out of copyright will be in 2033, but that's only if Universal decide they don't want to keep making money off the Beatles in 2033...

Nothing more will go out of copyright until the oldest remaining in-copyright work is still making money for someone rich.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Bill Ed
« Reply #430 on: May 18, 2013, 02:15:27 PM »

I couldn't agree more wholeheartedly! These tracks are amazing. Much more interesting to me than the studio version of We Got Love or snippets of uncompleted songs.
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: May 18, 2013, 02:18:54 PM »

Not in our lifetimes. In the US, copyright term for recorded music is, I believe, life of the author plus seventy years -- and that's only going to keep extending as long as Disney want to keep ownership of Mickey Mouse. In Europe, they just extended it so theoretically the next Beach Boys music to go out of copyright will be in 2033, but that's only if Universal decide they don't want to keep making money off the Beatles in 2033...

Nothing more will go out of copyright until the oldest remaining in-copyright work is still making money for someone rich.

I am happy to delegate the box-making to my descendents.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: May 18, 2013, 04:36:06 PM »

Hell yeah, I'm hoping for a pristine version of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1rd9I_Wk6I

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: May 18, 2013, 08:01:50 PM »

I own everything up to Son of Smilsson so buying the box even without the rarities is value for me.

I've got most of them (hoarder related) and my feeling was that only 'Nilsson Schmilsson' and 'The point' are killer records, the earlier ones have their moments, and he totally went off the boil after. '71.

Fair or do i need to revisit?

Some of the later ones - Duit On Mon Dei and Sandman - are fine boozing records. The musicianship is stellar, but if you're looking for a Nilsson Sings Newman it's not there. They are pleasingly deranged.

Knnillsson is rather good, the only dud in his 70's is That's The Way It Is. But Nilsson, even at his worst, was  one of the realest sounding musicians.

Can't believe you don't dig Nilsson sings Newman, tbh!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 18, 2013, 09:00:13 PM »

NO alternate takes, mixes, mono mixes, stereo mixes, binaural mixes, instrumental mixes, a cappella mixes. Waste of space. (heresy warning #2) I have a tin ear and I can't tell if I'm listening to mono or stereo and I couldn't care less. I just want the songs. The released album/single version is nearly always the best.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I'm not even a fan of "live in London"

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

SPARING

SPARING

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Also, this:

I have a tin ear and I can't tell if I'm listening to mono or stereo and I couldn't care less.

Shouldn't ruin the fun for others.

Also, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 09:01:05 PM by runnersdialzero! » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: May 18, 2013, 09:28:02 PM »

Hell yeah, twice! Remember hearing this for the first time on a cassette bootleg (before CD's and Youtube) many years ago and I almost cried. And I never cry except for when somebody close to me dies. But this literally brought tears to my eyes. I doubt they can find a clearer copy; the SOT bootlegger missed it but it was on "Capitol Punishment" but is somewhat hissy and not pristine like much of the SOT stuff. I would be VERY happy if this snippet sees the light of day sometime/somewhere. Brian and The Boys were in top form here as far as harmonies. Unfortunately this part was buried in the mix and you can't really appreciate it unless you hear the acapella isolated. Just fantastic how the vocals weave in and out and Brian's falsetto over the top. I just listened to it again 5 times and I still never get tired of it.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 18, 2013, 09:32:31 PM »

NO alternate takes, mixes, mono mixes, stereo mixes, binaural mixes, instrumental mixes, a cappella mixes. Waste of space. (heresy warning #2) I have a tin ear and I can't tell if I'm listening to mono or stereo and I couldn't care less. I just want the songs. The released album/single version is nearly always the best.

NO live versions unless it's a radically different arrangement from the studio version, or a song that doesn't exist in a decent studio version. I don't understand the obsession with getting live versions. I nearly always prefer the studio version. (Heresy warning #2) I'm not even a fan of "In Concert" or "live in London", though I do like "Concert" for its otherwise unavailable cover versions.

You're crazy.  What kind of fan are you?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #437 on: May 18, 2013, 11:13:19 PM »

But this literally brought tears to my eyes.

I got a tape copy of this from a collector in the early 90's, and just sat there on the night bus for two hours on the way home, surrounded by drunks, just rewinding this session over and over with tears streaming down my face. Magic moments.
ash
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 19, 2013, 02:15:32 AM »

The only thing I'm desperate to hear, but doubt will make the box, is the alternate versions of "Children Were Raised" and "Great Shape" from the Durry Parks acetates. If they're not in Great Shape, soundwise, I care not.

I know, there's about as much chance of that as there is of a Glen Miller Orchestra reunion, but one can hope.

Maybe some big hearted philanthropist bought the disks and donated them to Capitol. Maybe that's one of the reasons for the hold up.

Don't point out this is foolishness.

Just let me dream..................

Those are what i want to hear most too and agreed, i don't care what the sound quality is like.  To be able to construct the first Smile era conception of Heroes would be fantastic.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 23, 2013, 08:31:46 AM »

Just a hunch (conspiracy theory) ... the reason for the boxed set delay... the boxed set will come out after the live album because there will be tracks from the 50th tour on the boxed set, and these "live" tracks will need to be re-recorded/overdubbed/autotuned/melodyned/roboMyked within an inch of their lives, just as the ones on the tour album were.

The live tracks from the 50th tour-album were taken from relatively early in the tour... JT was there to record them... then he took the tracks away to work on them and present to the Boys what they needed to re-record when the tour was over.

Naturally, live tracks taken from the end of the tour will need time to be analysed and rejigged too, thus the delay.

My guess, as this box is 'career spanning', is that there will be something from the very last ever BBs concert(s) in London.

Smiley
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 23, 2013, 08:35:26 AM »

Just a hunch (conspiracy theory) ... the reason for the boxed set delay... the boxed set will come out after the live album because there will be tracks from the 50th tour on the boxed set, and these "live" tracks will need to be re-recorded/overdubbed/autotuned/melodyned/roboMyked within an inch of their lives, just as the ones on the tour album were.

I've no idea about the tracklist, but I wouldn't be surprised if one or more live tracks from the tour made their way on. I would be *horribly* surprised though if Alan Boyd (and Linnet? Is he involved? Can't remember, but I know Boyd is) had such appalling taste as to let them out in the same state as the ones on the live CD.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 23, 2013, 08:40:45 AM »

i wouldn't mind one track from the RAH, if it's untouched. But no more than that, and if it's been overdubbed/autotuned, then expect my righteous froth!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 23, 2013, 08:50:04 AM »

The obvious choice is a live Summer's Gone, but I'm given to understand we never quite got a clean performance of that.
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 23, 2013, 08:54:12 AM »

Summer's Gone from Wembley would be fitting, although the one from RAH would do me, just for its sheer spontaneity

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 23, 2013, 09:29:17 AM »

The obvious choice is a live Summer's Gone, but I'm given to understand we never quite got a clean performance of that.

No, but Wembley is probably close enough for an archival set, though it wouldn't have been for a CD aimed at a wider audience.

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: May 23, 2013, 09:49:28 AM »

If you notice, all the bonus tracks on the twofers have quietly disappeared from the market. I have a bad feeling remastered versions of those and stuff like are going to make up much of the box set, with maybe 5 truly new recordings. We won't get much out of it, but reviewers will rave over "out of print" songs like "I Do", "All Dressed Up For School", “Graduation Day”,  "Can't Wait Too Long", “We’re Together Again”,  and "Old Folks at Home/Ol' Man River". A few instrumentals and a cappella takes will be thrown in to please the fanatics, and they'll call it a day. You'll say your disappointed, but then, how will you pass a pristine remastering of "We're Together Again"? Brian and Mike will listen to songs like "Hey Pretty Mama" or "Lucy Jones" during the compilation stage and wonder why anyone would want to hear it....
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #446 on: May 23, 2013, 09:56:46 AM »

If you notice, all the bonus tracks on the twofers have quietly disappeared from the market. I have a bad feeling remastered versions of those and stuff like are going to make up much of the box set, with maybe 5 truly new recordings. We won't get much out of it, but reviewers will rave over "out of print" songs like "I Do", "All Dressed Up For School", “Graduation Day”,  "Can't Wait Too Long", “We’re Together Again”,  and "Old Folks at Home/Ol' Man River". A few instrumentals and a cappella takes will be thrown in to please the fanatics, and they'll call it a day. You'll say your disappointed, but then, how will you pass a pristine remastering of "We're Together Again"? Brian and Mike will listen to songs like "Hey Pretty Mama" or "Lucy Jones" during the compilation stage and wonder why anyone would want to hear it....

Don't worry. I'm sure there will be lots of goodies on there. If even half the stuff Adam mentioned is on there I'll be ecstatic.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: May 23, 2013, 10:12:39 AM »

Speaking of "Summer's Gone," as I was stumping for one of the live renditions of the song to make an appearance on the C50 release, it should come as no surprise that personally, I think it would make for a great addition to MiC, as well.  And I still wouldn't object to having Brian go in and rerecord a line or two where he may see fit.  Failing that, I wouldn't necessarily balk at some pitch-correction here or there, either.  I suppose my only caveat would be that any 'tweaking' done in this manner utilize a light touch, brought to bear only to any specific notes not considered up-to-snuff.  I just don't care for the 'slather it on the whole vocal' approach.

"Summer's Gone" is now the only number from TWGMTR performed on the C50 tour not to get a live release, correct?  I think a nice way to represent the latest album on Made in California would be to include the RAH or Wembley version, along with the two singles and a nice selection of studio outtakes from the sessions.

Of course, my biggest hope is for us to see the remaining suite numbers completed and included in the track list, but I have no idea where this idea falls between likely, possible, or pipe dream.  If it's not considered feasible for the box set, then I sure hope to see these numbers finished and included on whatever project Brian and/or the Beach Boys release next.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: May 24, 2013, 12:55:21 PM »

The new Moody Blues "box set, they are calling it", has had it's release date pushed back to June 25. Guess Phil was right, it's all a plot.

http://www.classichitsandoldies.com/v2/2013/05/24/the-moody-blues-schedule-new-release-date-for-timeless-flight-box-set-announce-fall-us-tour/

"The Moody Blues have announced a new release date for Timeless Flight, a massive box set gathering together the band’s biggest hits, rarities and live performances, as well as archival video footage. The 17-disc collection now is scheduled to be released on June 25.  It includes 11 CDs, six DVDs, pieces of Moody Blues memorabilia and more."
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 12:28:09 AM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: May 24, 2013, 01:15:10 PM »

The new Moody Blues "box set, they are calling it", has had it's release date pushed back to June 25. Guess Phil was right, it's all a plot.

A DIABOLICAL SCHEME, I TELLS YA 

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx