gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:18:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Made In California set for August 27th!!!!  (Read 127262 times)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 17, 2013, 02:51:42 PM »

When the box set arrives (and we know it will) I wonder what the physical footprint will be?  Will it be like the GV and Pet Sounds sets, or the more massive TSS set, large because of all the extras?

I would imagine it'll be closer in size to the GV/PS boxes. After all, the Smile box had to be configured around the vinyl, which this won't be.

Am I right in remembering the Spector box (of CD's) some years back was LP shaped? Quite a few boxed sets are.

It was, but it's the only one I know of. Pretty much all the box sets I own (obviously not a representative sample, but...) are either the size of the PS/GV boxes (like the two Nuggets boxes), book sized (Monkees Music Box, Zombie Heaven, Randy Newman box), or CD height (usually boxes of replica albums).

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 17, 2013, 03:13:09 PM »

When the box set arrives (and we know it will) I wonder what the physical footprint will be?  Will it be like the GV and Pet Sounds sets, or the more massive TSS set, large because of all the extras?

I would imagine it'll be closer in size to the GV/PS boxes. After all, the Smile box had to be configured around the vinyl, which this won't be.

Am I right in remembering the Spector box (of CD's) some years back was LP shaped? Quite a few boxed sets are.

It was, but it's the only one I know of. Pretty much all the box sets I own (obviously not a representative sample, but...) are either the size of the PS/GV boxes (like the two Nuggets boxes), book sized (Monkees Music Box, Zombie Heaven, Randy Newman box), or CD height (usually boxes of replica albums).

You want to get yourself a copy of this bad boy...
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-gFqozvuxzd0/T_hmdLj1aQI/AAAAAAAAAbw/Bf_8yQW7Z9E/s1600/DSC03212.JPG
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anthology-American-Music-Edited-Harry/dp/B000001DJU
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 17, 2013, 03:20:45 PM »

You want to get yourself a copy of this bad boy...
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-gFqozvuxzd0/T_hmdLj1aQI/AAAAAAAAAbw/Bf_8yQW7Z9E/s1600/DSC03212.JPG
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anthology-American-Music-Edited-Harry/dp/B000001DJU

Of course, I forgot about that -- but then that was duplicating the packaging of the original LP, if I remember right...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 17, 2013, 04:01:16 PM »

I own everything up to Son of Smilsson so buying the box even without the rarities is value for me.

I've got most of them (hoarder related) and my feeling was that only 'Nilsson Schmilsson' and 'The point' are killer records, the earlier ones have their moments, and he totally went off the boil after. '71.

Fair or do i need to revisit?

While I feel Nilsson Schmilsson is probably his high point, I still think there is a lot to love after that. Son of Schmilsson is a good album, albeit a little less focused. One can definitely tell it's quite a bit looser than its predecessor and the rockers don't rock as hard, nor do the ballads hit as hard. However, "Joy", "You're Breakin' My Heart", "Remember (Christmas)", and pretty much everything on there is great.

I really like A Touch of Schmilsson in the Night but if you aren't into straight readings of pre-rock standards you might not like this. However, I gotta admit that while I admire Harry for doing this as a labor of love, I would puke if Bruce Johnston did an album like this. But anyways, if you're unsure if you like this kinda thing, check out some samples first.

Then comes the Lennon produced p*ssy Cats which I personally love. "Suburban Homesick Blues" and "Rock Around The Clock" are two are Nilsson's hardest rocking cuts. "Don't Forget Me" fits in with the material from his prior album, but it's a Nilsson original, and even has a few funny lines, despite the despairing nature of the song. "Many Rivers To Cross" and "Save the Last Dance for Me" are also great. Now be warned, a lot of people think he lost his voice on this, and it is true that he doesn't sound as polished on these songs as he did on h is earlier work, I think it fits the nature of this material regardless. Also interesting that Harry Nilsson "losing his voice" still sounded like Harry, while Brian Wilson losing his voice sounded nothing like the same person. Brian's situation is SO weird.

Now I don't know the rest of his discography extremely well except for Knnillssonn, which I thought was extremely strong. It had the "standards" pre-rock type vibe of A Little Touch... but with original material. "All I Think About Is You" and "Perfect Day" are lovely, and pretty much everything on that album is great. Totally mellow album by the way. And "Who Done It?" is a super interesting story-song.

Anyways, hope that helps.

And yes, this thread is way off-track again.

I condone all of sweetdudejim's comments.  And, since we're talking about those post-Schmilsson albums, Duit On Mon Dei is utterly Van Dyke Parks-tastic, and not only that, but he was in full steel-pans-on-everything flower at the time, so even the record's weaker material is rendered somewhat wondrous by his magical arrangement touches.  (Though Perry Botkin Jr did the orchestral arrangements, as VDP will be quick to remind you if you ever ask him about it.)

(Furthermore, going back to the earlier stuff, I think that Nilsson Sings Newman is the most immaculate 26-minute album ever released.)

I've ordered a copy of the Nilsson box, despite owning all of the previously released stuff on CD already.  I totally needed a fifth copy of The Point anyway.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 17, 2013, 11:44:43 PM »

I'm hoping it's designed like the GV & PS sets mainly due to the personal storage space factor.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Paulos
« Reply #405 on: May 18, 2013, 02:11:31 AM »

I'm hoping it's designed like the GV & PS sets mainly due to the personal storage space factor.

Maybe it will be like the singles box set, I quite liked that design.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 18, 2013, 04:27:14 AM »

Maybe it will be like the singles box set, I quite liked that design.

Agreed. I only hope they keep that dreadful 15BO/TWGMTR logo far away from this box.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 18, 2013, 05:35:51 AM »

I know that at this point the boxed set's concept and contents will be all settled, but I can't resist chiming in with what I feel it ought to be.

To me there are only two logical options for a Beach Boys boxed set at this point: "Rarities only" or "definitve collection of all the essential stuff, released or unreleased"

A rarities only collection would be nice, but as others have pointed out the disappointing sales of Hawthorne and Endless Harmony etc will have made that seem risky. Though it's possible those compilations failed because the time wasn't right, or because they were poorly marketed, or because they fell between two stools and made no attempt to be definitive.
Also, personally, I feel that you need the hits and non-rarities as well, not just for commercial reasons, but to put the rairties into their proper perspective. It's like if you buy an anthology of Lewis Carroll you don't complain that "Allice's Adventures in Wonderland" is included, even if you already have ten copies of it. If I ever make a Beach Boys compilation it seems like there's something missing if "California Girls" isn't on it.

As for a definitive collection, I feel 6 CDs is just not enough. (I completely disagree with Andrew Hickey (I think it was him) who argued that all the really worthwhile Beach Boys songs could be fitted onto 6 CDs easily. I'd like to see him try.) At least, it's not enough if the set is intended to be an improvement of "Good Vibrations". "Good Vibrations" did the job of a 6 CD set excellently, (apart from the Brian's unfortunate decision to veto "Let Him Run Wild"). If you want to improve on it, you need more space to add more songs. You can't go around omitting too much stuff that was on it, because most of those songs deserved to be on there. If you only want to revise it a little here and there, say adding "Wouldn't it be nice live again" here, dropping "Our team" there, then why not simply call it "Good Vibrations: revised anniversary edition"?

Teh answer to that is, of course, that a "new" boxed set would look more enticing and sell better. But I fear that in attempting to make the new set different enough from GV, they will have thrown out too many babies with the bathwater. For example, just because "It's Over Now" and "Still I Dream Of It" no longer have that "Previously unreleased" status, doesn't mean they should be left out of any new collection that claims to represent the best of the Beach Boys

I am completely appalled by the other option people have been advocating, the boxed set that includes the hits to pull in the great unwashed, and includes the rarities for the diehard fans, but leaves out everything else: no album tracks, no non-charting b-sides. I understand the pragmatic reasoning behind such an idea, but really, it's a cynical notion that would produce a very weird and disjointed collection. "Surfin' USA" and unreleased writing session from a KTSA writing session but no "Busy Doin' Nothin'? A boxed set only makes artistic sense if it attempts to represent a band at its best, showing all sides of it's greatness. So what if you already have most of these tracks, don't you want a collection that you can send new curious would-be-fans to, a collection that will fairly represent the band for generations to come? If so, do you really think "Let Him Run Wild" or "Catch A Wave" should be omitted?

So, as I say, everything is already set in stone by now, but if anyone asked me what my dream career-spanning Beach Boys set would be, it would include

All the great songs from the singles and albums, omitting only the filler. (Example of filler: "Carls' Big Chance". Example of a song that is NOT filler: "No-Go Showboat".)
All the great previously released rarities, so they don't end up being only available on out-of-print collections
All the great previously bootlegged songs. (I don't have any bootlegs, except a few poor quality youtube downloads.)
All the great previously unbootlegged, unavailable songs. (including anything worthwhile from the 2012 outtakes)

By "great" I mean, a song that thrills and improves the life of the listener, making him or her truly grateful to have it as a part of their life. Who is to decide which songs fit this criteria? Why, I'd be happy to do it, since you ask.

NO alternate takes, mixes, mono mixes, stereo mixes, binaural mixes, instrumental mixes, a cappella mixes. Waste of space. (heresy warning #2) I have a tin ear and I can't tell if I'm listening to mono or stereo and I couldn't care less. I just want the songs. The released album/single version is nearly always the best.

NO live versions unless it's a radically different arrangement from the studio version, or a song that doesn't exist in a decent studio version. I don't understand the obsession with getting live versions. I nearly always prefer the studio version. (Heresy warning #2) I'm not even a fan of "In Concert" or "live in London", though I do like "Concert" for its otherwise unavailable cover versions.

Oh, OK. Make that SPARING live versions in concession to the wishes of nearly everyone else on this board.

SPARING use of material between 1979 and 2012. Unless there's great unreleased stuff I'm unaware of.

This fantasy box set would require AT LEAST 10 discs. And for a band as great, popular, and important as The Beach Boys I don't see why that's too much to ask. Especially if Nilsson gets 17. 

Please delete my account
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 18, 2013, 05:43:31 AM »

As for a definitive collection, I feel 6 CDs is just not enough. (I completely disagree with Andrew Hickey (I think it was him) who argued that all the really worthwhile Beach Boys songs could be fitted onto 6 CDs easily. I'd like to see him try.) At least, it's not enough if the set is intended to be an improvement of "Good Vibrations". "Good Vibrations" did the job of a 6 CD set excellently, (apart from the Brian's unfortunate decision to veto "Let Him Run Wild"). If you want to improve on it, you need more space to add more songs. You can't go around omitting too much stuff that was on it, because most of those songs deserved to be on there. If you only want to revise it a little here and there, say adding "Wouldn't it be nice live again" here, dropping "Our team" there, then why not simply call it "Good Vibrations: revised anniversary edition"?

The GV box only had four CDs of different songs. If you drop all the duplicated songs on the fifth disc (most of which are not hugely necessary, and IIRC some of which are now on the Pet Sounds or Smile boxes anyway) and add two more discs of unreleased tracks in its place, then you'd have a much better set.

And I don't think I said all the worthwhile tracks could fit onto six CDs, but that I think all the *essential* tracks could fit onto six CDs (certainly if you don't count solo albums). Something like, say, Salt Lake City is quite a nice track, so it's definitely worthwhile, but I would never say it was essential.

Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 18, 2013, 05:48:10 AM »

OK, good point, and sorry if I misrepresented what you said.

Please delete my account
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 18, 2013, 05:56:21 AM »

When this is released, will this likely be the last box set to be released?
With all the unreleased stuff rumored to be on here, will there be any left?

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 18, 2013, 06:03:05 AM »

How could anyone give an informed answer to that? Wink
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 18, 2013, 06:04:50 AM »

I guess I didn't expect a definitive answer, it just seems like they're can't be much of a chance left. At least to me. I expect they're a hassle to put together. All the more reason to love this one I guess.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 18, 2013, 06:14:36 AM »

OK, good point, and sorry if I misrepresented what you said.

No need for an apology! I quite possibly didn't make myself clear.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 18, 2013, 06:16:50 AM »

I guess I didn't expect a definitive answer, it just seems like they're can't be much of a chance left. At least to me. I expect they're a hassle to put together. All the more reason to love this one I guess.
It'd be a pretty good guess to assume that there won't be any more elaborate box sets containing a significant number of rarities or unreleased material for many years to come after the release of Made In California. If ever. However, the Beach Boys will continue to be a big name and legendary group for decades to come (at least for the real deal of music fans), so who knows. Also, we still don't know how much unreleased stuff exactly there is going to be on the new box set, right? Or did I miss something? Lips Sealed
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 18, 2013, 06:21:06 AM »

It'd be a pretty good guess to assume that there won't be any more elaborate box sets containing a significant number of rarities or unreleased material for many years to come after the release of Made In California. If ever. However, the Beach Boys will continue to be a big name and legendary group for decades to come (at least for the real deal of music fans), so who knows. Also, we still don't know how much unreleased stuff exactly there is going to be on the new box set, right? Or did I miss something? Lips Sealed

We don't know exactly how much, but I've heard from a few people who've seen the tracklist (some post here, others don't) that it's somewhere between two and three CDs worth, including most of the tracks we'd hope for and one or two that we're not expecting.

(No, I don't know any more than that. No, I don't have any great insider contacts. Yes, those people might be spinning me a line...)

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 18, 2013, 06:23:06 AM »

We don't know exactly how much, but I've heard from a few people who've seen the tracklist (some post here, others don't) that it's somewhere between two and three CDs worth, including most of the tracks we'd hope for and one or two that we're not expecting.

(No, I don't know any more than that. No, I don't have any great insider contacts. Yes, those people might be spinning me a line...)
Wow, that would actually be pretty awesome. 3D
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 18, 2013, 06:54:10 AM »

This fantasy box set would require AT LEAST 10 discs. And for a band as great, popular, and important as The Beach Boys I don't see why that's too much to ask. Especially if Nilsson gets 17. 

In defense of Nilsson, his box set is a collection of all of his RCA solo albums. So it's pretty much those 14 albums plus a few scattered bonus tracks, and then a few discs of oddities and rarities. So as far as unreleased material getting "respect", I think The Beach Boys got Harry beat.

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #418 on: May 18, 2013, 06:57:07 AM »

The only thing I'm desperate to hear, but doubt will make the box, is the alternate versions of "Children Were Raised" and "Great Shape" from the Durry Parks acetates. If they're not in Great Shape, soundwise, I care not.

I know, there's about as much chance of that as there is of a Glen Miller Orchestra reunion, but one can hope.

Maybe some big hearted philanthropist bought the disks and donated them to Capitol. Maybe that's one of the reasons for the hold up.

Don't point out this is foolishness.

Just let me dream..................
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #419 on: May 18, 2013, 08:40:30 AM »

I know, there's about as much chance of that as there is of a Glen Miller Orchestra reunion, but one can hope.

http://glennmillerorchestra.com

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: May 18, 2013, 09:18:58 AM »

NO alternate takes, mixes, mono mixes, stereo mixes, binaural mixes, instrumental mixes, a cappella mixes. Waste of space.

Brrr, i shudder when i read stuff like this. I live for this kind of material and i am wishing and hoping and praying that the box set is filled to the brim with backing tracks, vocals only mixes, and alternate versions. Actually, my dream Beach Boys box set, other than a really solid, maybe shorter, rarities-only set would be an entire set comprised of instrumental and a cappella mixes. I would treasure that like no other worldly possession.

Also, i'm not one whose got non-BB box sets on my radar much, so i haven't kept up, but i was under the impression that the very quintessential '80s and '90s long, slim design (like the GV and PS sets) are no longer in vogue and now a thing of the past. Or do they still put out box sets like that? If so, do they still have that goofy plastic tray insert to hold all the contents in place?

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 18, 2013, 09:23:52 AM »

NO alternate takes, mixes, mono mixes, stereo mixes, binaural mixes, instrumental mixes, a cappella mixes. Waste of space.

Brrr, i shudder when i read stuff like this. I live for this kind of material and i am wishing and hoping and praying that the box set is filled to the brim with backing tracks, vocals only mixes, and alternate versions. Actually, my dream Beach Boys box set, other than a really solid, maybe shorter, rarities-only set would be an entire set comprised of instrumental and a cappella mixes. I would treasure that like no other worldly possession.

Also, i'm not one whose got non-BB box sets on my radar much, so i haven't kept up, but i was under the impression that the very quintessential '80s and '90s long, slim design (like the GV and PS sets) are no longer in vogue and now a thing of the past. Or do they still put out box sets like that? If so, do they still have that goofy plastic tray insert to hold all the contents in place?

I'm with you.
Some of those A Cappella tracks are revolutionary. Tons of stuff going on that I never noticed before.

- Dr. Seuss
zachrwolfe
« Reply #422 on: May 18, 2013, 09:31:47 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:10:01 PM by zatch » Logged
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: May 18, 2013, 10:26:30 AM »

Totally agree. Maybe the hold up is that they found the Good Vibrations vocal tapes and had to mix an a capella version.  Grin

Yeah, I guess a capella versions are cool. I was just talking about my own preferred fantasy boxed set. Nothing to do with what anyone else might want, or reality.

Please delete my account
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #424 on: May 18, 2013, 11:19:05 AM »

Thanks Lowbacca.

So what your saying is that AGD's outburst was Phil's fault.

I don't think that it was he was saying really.

Right, Sam. When I said Phil's postings stir up many bad emotions in the group I meant not only AGD, but including one of the moderators and even myself. Stephen, I'm with you when you say AGD might have an anger problem, that's why I said I wish he was able to control his emotions better. But unlike Phil, AGD is receptive to reasoning.

Can we get back on topic please?  LOL

(I'm hoping it's big like TSS)

Absolutely, Stephen. I just had the urge to state my point in this matter, now that's done.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx