gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:08:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Made In California set for August 27th!!!!  (Read 127182 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: May 15, 2013, 10:21:25 AM »

This project should never have dragged on for  this long(for 18 months, or perhaps longer, if work had already been underway at the time of Capitol's original announcement in December 2011)

Why not?  The new Harry Nilsson box has been in the works for 3 years and there is no Harry around to sign off on things.

Harrry is happening,  MIC news to follow?
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/harry-nilsson-box-set/

Harry gets 17 cds  with three devoted to unreleased sessions stuff . Hoping we get atleast three for MIC.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 15, 2013, 10:56:13 AM »

This project should never have dragged on for  this long(for 18 months, or perhaps longer, if work had already been underway at the time of Capitol's original announcement in December 2011)

Why not?  The new Harry Nilsson box has been in the works for 3 years and there is no Harry around to sign off on things.

Harrry is happening,  MIC news to follow?

Harry gets 17 cds  with three devoted to unreleased sessions stuff . Hoping we get atleast three for MIC.

That is something I don't understand.  One explanation we always get from compilers of box sets and why they aren't more expansive than they are is that the record company put a cap on the number of discs they could allot to the box set.  There is also the commonly told explanation that box sets in this day and age no longer sell and artists are discouraged from compiling them. 

Then comes along something like The Nilsson box set and I believe the recent box set by The Grateful Dead and that quite frankly calls a lot of that logic into question.  I'm not going to even get into this other band I follow whose archival output over the past decade plus would have you think that their entire outfit has folded up shop and called it quits. 

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: May 15, 2013, 03:56:44 PM »

The vast majority of the 'bonus tracks' on the Nilsson box are just the bonus tracks from previous reissues - in a way, it's just getting every single reissue under one roof and hopefully remastering them, but just standardising the catalogue in 2013 and getting everything back in print. There's a bit more on some discs, but if I'd been religiously buying Nilsson reissues as some people do with The Beach Boys as they came out I'd be a bit pissed by this box.

That said, I've got 95% of the sh*t on that Nilsson box on bootleg, so it's more akin to The Smile Sessions deal for me  LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 16, 2013, 03:56:19 AM »

The vast majority of the 'bonus tracks' on the Nilsson box are just the bonus tracks from previous reissues - in a way, it's just getting every single reissue under one roof and hopefully remastering them, but just standardising the catalogue in 2013 and getting everything back in print. There's a bit more on some discs, but if I'd been religiously buying Nilsson reissues as some people do with The Beach Boys as they came out I'd be a bit pissed by this box.

That's not quite true -- there are at least fifty songs on that box that have never been released in any format, a bunch more that haven't been released on CD, and I don't think the mono mixes of Aerial Ballet or Pandemonium Shadow Show have ever been released on CD before.
Frankly, even if I did own all of the albums on CD (and I only own the first few) I'd think the UK price for the box (£46) more than reasonable for just the completely-unreleased stuff.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 16, 2013, 10:22:05 AM »

I own everything up to Son of Smilsson so buying the box even without the rarities is value for me. Out of print CD issues of p*ssy Cats are very expensive.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 17, 2013, 06:01:01 AM »

I own everything up to Son of Smilsson so buying the box even without the rarities is value for me.

I've got most of them (hoarder related) and my feeling was that only 'Nilsson Schmilsson' and 'The point' are killer records, the earlier ones have their moments, and he totally went off the boil after. '71.

Fair or do i need to revisit?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 17, 2013, 07:12:11 AM »

I own everything up to Son of Smilsson so buying the box even without the rarities is value for me.

I've got most of them (hoarder related) and my feeling was that only 'Nilsson Schmilsson' and 'The point' are killer records, the earlier ones have their moments, and he totally went off the boil after. '71.

Fair or do i need to revisit?

While I feel Nilsson Schmilsson is probably his high point, I still think there is a lot to love after that. Son of Schmilsson is a good album, albeit a little less focused. One can definitely tell it's quite a bit looser than its predecessor and the rockers don't rock as hard, nor do the ballads hit as hard. However, "Joy", "You're Breakin' My Heart", "Remember (Christmas)", and pretty much everything on there is great.

I really like A Touch of Schmilsson in the Night but if you aren't into straight readings of pre-rock standards you might not like this. However, I gotta admit that while I admire Harry for doing this as a labor of love, I would puke if Bruce Johnston did an album like this. But anyways, if you're unsure if you like this kinda thing, check out some samples first.

Then comes the Lennon produced p*ssy Cats which I personally love. "Suburban Homesick Blues" and "Rock Around The Clock" are two are Nilsson's hardest rocking cuts. "Don't Forget Me" fits in with the material from his prior album, but it's a Nilsson original, and even has a few funny lines, despite the despairing nature of the song. "Many Rivers To Cross" and "Save the Last Dance for Me" are also great. Now be warned, a lot of people think he lost his voice on this, and it is true that he doesn't sound as polished on these songs as he did on h is earlier work, I think it fits the nature of this material regardless. Also interesting that Harry Nilsson "losing his voice" still sounded like Harry, while Brian Wilson losing his voice sounded nothing like the same person. Brian's situation is SO weird.

Now I don't know the rest of his discography extremely well except for Knnillssonn, which I thought was extremely strong. It had the "standards" pre-rock type vibe of A Little Touch... but with original material. "All I Think About Is You" and "Perfect Day" are lovely, and pretty much everything on that album is great. Totally mellow album by the way. And "Who Done It?" is a super interesting story-song.

Anyways, hope that helps.

And yes, this thread is way off-track again.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 07:13:21 AM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: May 17, 2013, 07:17:53 AM »

Moderators...

I was away for 2 weeks, just read these last few pages, and like to say that I'm generally pleased with the behavior of the mods, except calling Phil a reincarnated sceptic tank (or whatever the wording was), that's not good behavior.

I'm generally annoyed by Phils monothematic postings too though and think banning him is IMHO the second best choice - the one I'd prefer was displaying all of his posts in, say, yellow color so it would be easier to avoid reading them.

I feel no hatred against Phil, I feel sorry for him, it must be a hard life if you're like that. But as his postings stir up that many bad emotions in the group, the group must be protected. I hope in real life Phil gets some help.

As for AGD... I hope he manages to control himself a bit more when he's tempted to unnecessarily post his extremely negative emotions. That's actually selfish in a way. Unlike Phil AGD has things to say that are worth reading though.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 17, 2013, 07:24:12 AM »

Moderators...

I was away for 2 weeks, just read these last few pages, and like to say that I'm generally pleased with the behavior of the mods, except calling Phil a reincarnated sceptic tank (or whatever the wording was), that's not good behavior.

I'm generally annoyed by Phils monothematic postings too though and think banning him is IMHO the second best choice - the one I'd prefer was displaying all of his posts in, say, yellow color so it would be easier to avoid reading them.

I feel no hatred against Phil, I feel sorry for him, it must be a hard life if you're like that. But as his postings stir up that many bad emotions in the group, the group must be protected. I hope in real life Phil gets some help.

As for AGD... I hope he manages to control himself a bit more when he's tempted to unnecessarily post his extremely negative emotions. That's actually selfish in a way. Unlike Phil AGD has things to say that are worth reading though.
Wholeheartedly seconded.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #384 on: May 17, 2013, 07:47:49 AM »

Well, we were asked to keep this subject closed, but seeing as you bought it up again Micha..........

As for AGD... I hope he manages to control himself a bit more when he's tempted to unnecessarily post his extremely negative emotions. That's actually selfish in a way.

So what your saying is that AGD's outburst was Phil's fault. OK.....well what about all his other outbursts? Are all those other folk to blame for stirring up AGD's negative emotions?
So let's all be careful we don't upset A G bloody D. Lets agree 100% with everything he says just in case we annoy him.

And he can say whatever he likes about Phil, because Phil's a "proven bootlegger", which, in case you didn't know is actually worse than being a paedohile. 'Cos none of us lot ever bought a bootleg and created the market for BB bootlegs did we? Especially not AGD.

Well, he's gone off in a strop again now, and look how nice and chilled the boards been. There's plenty of other "experts" here who don't have the anger management issues and ego problems he has.

AGD is of course welcome to say whatever he wants to anyone. And he's welcome on my doorstep anytime if he wants to try to be a big man
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: May 17, 2013, 07:54:39 AM »

So what your saying is that AGD's outburst was Phil's fault.

I don't think that it was he was saying really.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #386 on: May 17, 2013, 08:08:45 AM »

But as his postings stir up that many bad emotions in the group.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: May 17, 2013, 08:38:27 AM »

But as his postings stir up that many bad emotions in the group.

Well, they do stir up bad emotions. Phil adds nothing to the conversation, except to convince that a fraud is going on, which of course is BS. At least Andrew adds insight & knowledge to the forum. We all have rant & raved in here at one time or another and we have all acted badly at one time or another. Andrew is no different than the rest of us. He has good and bad days like everyone else. He's been banned when warranted, by the Mods. Like the Mods say, when things go a bit overboard, either end it or take it to PMs.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #388 on: May 17, 2013, 10:12:52 AM »

Respectfully, the only other person who behaved like AGD, i.e, threatening people with physical violence was Ian Wagner, who was banned permanently. He also had good days and bad days, he brought some good, knowledgeable stuff to the table sometimes, and at other times not. Saying to one of the mods he hoped his family died is unacceptable, I think we all agree. I just happen to think threatening to turn up on Phil's doorstep and beat him up is in the same vein.

I don't think either Ian or Andrew are "evil" people. They just have anger problems. People are saying Phil spread bad vibes by posting unpopular and untenable opinions, but surely behaving in an abusive and aggressive manner is worse.

My main point is, drbeachboy, you and I can disagree politely, it can even get a bit heated, but neither of us are about to start threatening to beat each other up (at least I hope not). AGD seems to think he is indispensable to this board and therefore above the normal rules of civility.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 17, 2013, 10:22:42 AM »

I don't think either Ian or Andrew are "evil" people. They just have anger problems.

I don't want to single anyone out here but generally speaking people with "anger problems" who are using the internet as a means of venting probably need to take a few steps back and reevaluate the situation.  If someone is angry enough at themselves, someone else or the world at large that they are using an internet post board as means of purging, perhaps they should turn off the computer for a bit and give some serious think time to actually dealing with whatever is causing their "anger problems" to begin with.  In a positive and socially acceptable way obviously.

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: May 17, 2013, 10:34:20 AM »

Maybe we can have an "Anger" thread and a "Blame" thread, and a "He's not a very nice man" thread – even an "I'm telling my dad" thread – so that the MIC thread can feature stuff like, uh, maybe boxed sets? 

Oh, and a striped shirts thread!

Roll Eyes

“We live in divisive times.”
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 17, 2013, 10:38:24 AM »

Respectfully, the only other person who behaved like AGD, i.e, threatening people with physical violence was Ian Wagner, who was banned permanently. He also had good days and bad days, he brought some good, knowledgeable stuff to the table sometimes, and at other times not. Saying to one of the mods he hoped his family died is unacceptable, I think we all agree. I just happen to think threatening to turn up on Phil's doorstep and beat him up is in the same vein.

I don't think either Ian or Andrew are "evil" people. They just have anger problems. People are saying Phil spread bad vibes by posting unpopular and untenable opinions, but surely behaving in an abusive and aggressive manner is worse.

My main point is, drbeachboy, you and I can disagree politely, it can even get a bit heated, but neither of us are about to start threatening to beat each other up (at least I hope not). AGD seems to think he is indispensable to this board and therefore above the normal rules of civility.
I try very hard not to let hiding behind the computer screen affect how I interact with people on it. I've had a few moments here and there, but on the whole I try to react here how I would as if you were sitting directly in front of me. I have to admit that this place has been the toughest place to practice that philosophy. When I first found this forum I thought it would it be the easiest place to communicate with other like minded BB fans, but, oh contraire, some of us are far more different and complex than I ever imagined.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 10:40:47 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 17, 2013, 10:45:59 AM »

I try very hard not to let hiding behind the computer screen affect how I interact with people on it. I've had a few moments here and there, but on the whole I try to react here how I would as if you were sitting directly in front of me. I have to admit that this place has been the toughest place to practice that philosophy. When I first found this forum I thought it would it be the easiest place to communicate with other like minded BB fans, but, oh contraire, some of us are far more different and complex than I ever imagined.

But there are a few like that in every community.  You just have to get on with it.

One thing worth noting about this particular forum is at least we have some semblance of intelligence and aren't all genuflecting at the feet of our heroes.  That is something not to be taken for granted when broadly evaluating fan forums across the internet.

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 17, 2013, 11:43:42 AM »

Nicely said DrB!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 17, 2013, 11:51:49 AM »

Very well stated Stephen. I feel exactly the same.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 17, 2013, 12:06:42 PM »

When the box set arrives (and we know it will) I wonder what the physical footprint will be?  Will it be like the GV and Pet Sounds sets, or the more massive TSS set, large because of all the extras?

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #396 on: May 17, 2013, 02:34:54 PM »

When the box set arrives (and we know it will) I wonder what the physical footprint will be?  Will it be like the GV and Pet Sounds sets, or the more massive TSS set, large because of all the extras?

Can we get back on topic please?  LOL

(I'm hoping it's big like TSS)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 17, 2013, 02:37:33 PM »

I would imagine it'll be closer in size to the GV/PS boxes. After all, the Smile box had to be configured around the vinyl, which this won't be.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #398 on: May 17, 2013, 02:40:42 PM »

I would imagine it'll be closer in size to the GV/PS boxes. After all, the Smile box had to be configured around the vinyl, which this won't be.

Am I right in remembering the Spector box (of CD's) some years back was LP shaped? Quite a few boxed sets are.
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #399 on: May 17, 2013, 02:48:45 PM »

Am I right in remembering the Spector box (of CD's) some years back was LP shaped? Quite a few boxed sets are.

My copy is, but I think that I've seen a more compact version at some point also.

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx