gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:15:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Made In California set for August 27th!!!!  (Read 127177 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 09, 2013, 10:14:29 PM »

Thing is, if he didn't say these things he'd have nothing to say. Unless this was a Monkees forum.

“We live in divisive times.”
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 09, 2013, 11:01:03 PM »

You know what? I sincerely hope that the very next time there is going to be a beach boys project, it gets released on the initial announcement. Or I hope that it really doesn't get released at all. Just to get Phil's reaction.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 10, 2013, 01:00:02 AM »

Thing is, if he didn't say these things he'd have nothing to say. Unless this was a Monkees forum.

No, then he'd just be complaining that the Monkees Present box set was never going to come out, just like the instant Replay, Head, Birds Bees... boxes before it (those boxes all came out).

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 10, 2013, 01:48:49 AM »

He's a troll, simple as that. He knows exactly what he's doing, he's playing a character on the internet who gets people bothered and elicits lots of responses.

Don't bother replying Smiley
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #254 on: May 10, 2013, 02:22:46 AM »

Or else he has some mild mental health issues, in which case you lot are a bunch of arseholes.

I find it quite easy to tolerate him, its not like he's being abusive or nasty. I

Its just  playground mentality the way you all go on at him. He's not doing any harm. Easy victim, eh?
MBE
« Reply #255 on: May 10, 2013, 02:45:12 AM »

If you want the posts to stop don't reply, if you like his take on things reply. Nobody is required to read anything on here they don't wish to. I'm not trying to put anyone down, Phil included, I'm just asking why people bother with his posts if they don't like them? If one thing is certain on a message board it's that some people like to trade ideas, some people have fixed ideas. The people with fixed ideas are not going to change no matter what one says. This rule of thumb has worked for me since I have been online.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 10, 2013, 03:45:07 AM »

If you want the posts to stop don't reply, if you like his take on things reply. Nobody is required to read anything on here they don't wish to. I'm not trying to put anyone down, Phil included, I'm just asking why people bother with his posts if they don't like them? If one thing is certain on a message board it's that some people like to trade ideas, some people have fixed ideas. The people with fixed ideas are not going to change no matter what one says. This rule of thumb has worked for me since I have been online.

Wise words, Mike. I myself, in a distant past, sometimes had the urge to 'jump' onto posts that got to me, in one or another way. That isn't wise. It costs time and energy, esp. if the poster in question is very rigid in his/her opinions. I changed this, and I try to see the humour of it, instead of fruitlessly trying to change someone else's dogmas.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #257 on: May 10, 2013, 03:47:32 AM »

Wise words, Mike. I myself, in a distant past, sometimes had the urge to 'jump' onto posts that got to me, in one or another way. That isn't wise. It costs time and energy, esp. if the poster in question is very rigid in his/her opinions. I changed this, and I try to see the humour of it, instead of fruitlessly trying to change someone else's dogmas.

Quite right. Like we're tolerant of dear old grandma even though she's a frightful racist......
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 10, 2013, 03:57:22 AM »

Or else he has some mild mental health issues, in which case you lot are a bunch of arseholes.

I find it quite easy to tolerate him, its not like he's being abusive or nasty. I

Its just  playground mentality the way you all go on at him. He's not doing any harm. Easy victim, eh?

1+. all of this. It's genuinely pathetic, besides there are other regularly posted opinions on this forum that boil my piss way more than anything this guy has ever posted. Got to know the Woman haters, ffs.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: May 10, 2013, 04:08:42 AM »

Its just  playground mentality the way you all go on at him. He's not doing any harm. Easy victim, eh?

Probably he has. Doesn't give him a free pass to post complete nonsense which is extremely irritating to those involved with the subject he's posting about (there's a very good reason no-one tells him anything - he's not to be trusted with a confidence), or absolve him from being a proven bootlegger. As for the old "don't like it-don't read it" canard... if you found a turd in your hot dog, would you politely eat around it, or complain to the vendor ?  Exactly.

Someone on this board saved his ass once recently: I doubt they'll be doing that again.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 04:20:03 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 10, 2013, 04:14:04 AM »

I don't think anyone's been particularly cruel to Phil here, with the possible exception of Jay. Jon pointed out to him that he's been consistently wrong in all his complaints, John said that all Phil does is complain, and I made a (fairly poor) joke.

Phil's posts can get very, very irritating at times, when literally *all* he has to say on the topic of the Beach Boys is "the box set will never come out", and his posts on that subject can get very tiresome. I don't think he has any mental health problems (and if he did, as I just said on another thread, mental health problems aren't a "get out of bad behaviour free" card), and nor do I think he's trolling. I think he's a pessimist, and I have a lot of sympathy with that in the general case -- but in the specific case of the Beach Boys he's been proved wrong time and again in the last couple of years.

I don't think anyone wants to shut Phil up -- I certainly don't, he's obviously someone with a reasonable amount of musical knowledge -- but he has made his opinion about the box very, very, *very* clear at this point, and by restating it he is only adding to the noise, not to the signal.

I think if he talked about *anything* else Beach Boys related, the annoyance with him would drop right down. But when he comes along and says the same things yet again, it's only reasonable that people react with exasperation or annoyance.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 10, 2013, 04:20:33 AM »

Quite right. Like we're tolerant of dear old grandma even though she's a frightful racist......

Hi Stephen, with all due respect -

your hypothetical example, analogy if you will, would automatically lead to intervention of the admins. Well, they made it clear to PC that his submissions were unacceptable in the past. So it's not as if nothing at all would happen if all of us were to behave the way I do. I guess I wanted to say: I don't care about what PC posts. Should others post evident garbage that is inconsistent with their normal opinions, I would certainly say something about it.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
MBE
« Reply #262 on: May 10, 2013, 04:52:32 AM »

Its just  playground mentality the way you all go on at him. He's not doing any harm. Easy victim, eh?

Probably he has. Doesn't give him a free pass to post complete nonsense which is extremely irritating to those involved with the subject he's posting about (there's a very good reason no-one tells him anything - he's not to be trusted with a confidence), or absolve him from being a proven bootlegger. As for the old "don't like it-don't read it" canard... if you found a turd in your hot dog, would you politely eat around it, or complain to the vendor ?  Exactly.

Someone on this board saved his ass once recently: I doubt they'll be doing that again.

Just so nobody has the wrong idea, I of course think one should defend themselves against anything that misrepresents you or your character. I took on VDP on here after he took liberties with me so naturally I feel any direct falsehood should be addressed strongly.

Ye, I think it is a truism that certain personalities say things for attention. Making anyone like that a focus can play right into what they are seeking. I want to make it clear one more time that nobody (especially a person who is as dedicated as AGD) should have to take personal affronts lying down, but some people just want to be a talking point. It's not what people are saying that matters to them, bad or good they just want to be in the center of the ring.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 10, 2013, 05:51:06 AM »

While it's off-topic, I should mention that even the 8 previously unreleased "Cow Palace" tracks on the forthcoming(and very pricey) "Wings Over America" CD/DVD box set are merely previously unreleased on CD. You see, the "Rockshow" film( to be released on DVD & Bluray in June with the concert presented in full for the first time; 8 more songs than the VHS or Laserdisc) was filmed (guess where).....at The Cow Palace!!!

Nope.  "Rock Show" was filmed in New York, Seattle, and Los Angeles.  The Cow Palace is in San Francisco.

An exciting year for archival releases.  We got the Wings set, Monkees Present, upcoming Beach Boys box, and a 17-disc Harry Nilsson box was just announced for late July (And $80 cheaper on Amazon UK than US).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 06:29:47 AM by TV Forces » Logged
PhilCohen
« Reply #264 on: May 10, 2013, 06:34:44 AM »

By the way, contrast the Monkees & Wings product with the proposed Beach Boys box set. We have a tracklisting and photo of the Monkees & Wings products, but, after 18 months, NOTHING for the Beach Boys product. As for postponements, I would note, that even during the 4 years of postponement's on Universal Music "The Complete Motown Singles Vol.12A"(the tracklisting and photo were finally revealed today!), at least we were told the reason why(problems getting permission from several artists)

I know that you guys all think that I'm unreasonable, mentally ill or whatever, but I do think that when The Beach Boys box failed to appear in 2012, that some sort of statement should have been issued, to, at least assert that Capitol and/or The Beach Boys were still ATTEMPTING to complete the project, and if not, to simply tell the fans that the project is in limbo, or perhaps not to be.

As I've said before(and I'll say it again), Why the obsession with secrecy?
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 10, 2013, 06:39:11 AM »

By the way, contrast the Monkees & Wings product with the proposed Beach Boys box set. We have a tracklisting and photo of the Monkees & Wings products, but, after 18 months, NOTHING for the Beach Boys product. As for postponements, I would note, that even during the 4 years of postponement's on Universal Music "The Complete Motown Singles Vol.12A"(the tracklisting and photo were finally revealed today!), at least we were told the reason why(problems getting permission from several artists)

I know that you guys all think that I'm unreasonable, mentally ill or whatever, but I do think that when The Beach Boys box failed to appear in 2012, that some sort of statement should have been issued, to, at least assert that Capitol and/or The Beach Boys were still ATTEMPTING to complete the project, and if not, to simply tell the fans that the project is in limbo, or perhaps not to be.

but....you're the one obsessed with secrecy?
PhilCohen
« Reply #266 on: May 10, 2013, 06:45:14 AM »

I've come to this conclusion: that most,if not all of you, think that it's entirely reasonable that Capitol has maintained total silence concerning the Beach Boys box set project . Most people(other than the obsessed fans that populate forums like this) long ago forgot about this project, and moved on with their lives and moved on with their music collecting hobbies.

The obsessed fans were the only ones keeping the flame burning(with our hopes that the box set may yet appear), even in the face of Capitol's seeming apathy.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 10, 2013, 06:48:22 AM »

Phil - this band is unlike any other. They are a constant work-in-progress, and I don't mean any impertinence. I wouldn't venture to diagnose you as "mentally ill."  I'm not a doctor.   Wink

My grandmother used to say, "When the apple is ready, it will fall off the tree." Naysayers had to "eat their words with a fork and spoon" recently with C50 which was reported almost universally as "Never gonna happen." And, it did.

Perhaps, there are emerging tracks, or close "ties" for potentially included tracks.  They'll tell us when it's ready.  
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 10, 2013, 06:56:58 AM »

What obsession with secrecy? The Monkees Present box set tracklist has been released because the release date is expected to be July 30, two and a half months from now. There were no prior announcements about that box that I saw, and I'm very active in the Monkees fan community (I may have missed something, but I doubt it) -- everyone assumed there'd be one, but no announcements were made until now.

Personally, I only expect announcements when or if there's something new to announce, not just a weekly bulletin of "yep, still doing it", "still doing our jobs", "on holiday this week", "still working"....

Assuming the late-August release date is correct for the Made In California set, and that Capitol/Universal runs to the same timescale as Rhino/Warners, then we should expect information in about a month.

(And I for one wouldn't dream of assuming you were mentally ill, but nor would I think any worse of you if you were...)

PhilCohen
« Reply #269 on: May 10, 2013, 07:15:01 AM »

This idea just occurred to me: What if Capitol did decide to announce a track listing, and it turned out to be an anti-climax, sort of like the 17-disc Moody Blues box(which has several hours of unreleased concert recordings, but not ONE unreleased studio track) . We may yet find ourselves saying, "So this is why they didn't want us to know anything".
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: May 10, 2013, 07:25:58 AM »

This idea just occurred to me: What if Capitol did decide to announce a track listing, and it turned out to be an anti-climax, sort of like the 17-disc Moody Blues box(which has several hours of unreleased concert recordings, but not ONE unreleased studio track) . We may yet find ourselves saying, "So this is why they didn't want us to know anything".

I suspect that some people will find the tracklist an anticlimax no matter what it is, given some of the conflicting demands that have been made in these threads. That said, Adam Marsland said earlier in this thread (and AGD said this went with what he knows) that he'd seen a provisional tracklist, which he understands to be close to the final one, and that it's a Beach Boys fan's dream.

My guess is that we don't have too much to worry about, but if it turns out not to be very good, then the solution's simple -- just don't buy it. I won't, if it doesn't look any good.

BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 10, 2013, 07:41:14 AM »

My guess is that we don't have too much to worry about, but if it turns out not to be very good, then the solution's simple -- just don't buy it. I won't, if it doesn't look any good.

Yeah... is anyone ACTUALLY losing sleep over this? I forget all about it til I come on here...
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 10, 2013, 09:47:52 AM »

Alan Boyd has kindly asked the Professor to pass on to the SS board that all is going well, and he suspects you all will enjoy the selection and the rarities of the 6 albums, with various live and unreleased cuts--many of which will fulfill some announced and tormented longings that I have seen expressed in these pages.  The release date is not firm, but hold on, and I am sure that we will all enjoy all of it.

This is no secret, but he was also not sanguine about a BB album for this year (it's only the silly Professor who thought it possible) and is not so sanguine about the full-show DVD releases that we all dream of (as Andrew H has explained, the licencing is just too formidable).  But AB himself is is good health and spirits on the heals of his Grammy, and the professor takes this moment to salute and thank him for enabling so much happiness and joy. So on all matters BB, I suggest we relax and enjoy the only sure things: the live album, and the boxed set, which are real and which both will be majestic.

The ultimate point of his kind update?  Hold on, dear brother!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 10, 2013, 10:35:49 AM »

Lord help me but I actually do agree with you to a degree on the highlighted part above Phil, yes it would have been nice to have a had a bone thrown when the box was delayed. Still there have been enough subtle nods and winks from people on this board (and elsewhere) very much in the know in the past few months to clear away any doubts about the box's future.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 10, 2013, 10:50:14 AM »

Have to agree that the new Moodies box is a big disappointment but MIC is gonna be awesome. I am seeing some very interesting things in my crystal ball.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx