gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:20:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Made In California set for August 27th!!!!  (Read 127238 times)
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 08, 2013, 01:44:40 PM »

I'm really hopeful for the August release, but I'd still like to hear an announcement from Capitol soon.

My feeling is -- and it's purely speculation on my part -- that they're probably waiting until the 2-CD live set is released and on it's own two legs before giving us some sort of track list or official presser for the big box. That is, as not to steal whatever "thunder" that earlier release might have. Perhaps not wanting it to see it get lost in the shuffle.

Maybe June for a track list?
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: May 08, 2013, 01:55:14 PM »

The Smile Sessions tracklist announcement was made August 27, 2011. Almost exactly two months before its release. (November 1st).
So we shouldn't expect the Made In California tracklist to appear before the end of June.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 08, 2013, 01:58:57 PM »

Ah, June/July is right around the corner...I'm dying to see this tracklist!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
PhilCohen
« Reply #203 on: May 08, 2013, 03:41:37 PM »

This whole subject is becoming one big bore. The box set is vaporware.
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: May 08, 2013, 03:53:12 PM »

Let's hope not.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 08, 2013, 04:01:41 PM »

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 08, 2013, 04:18:35 PM »

Then it wouldnt be a lil' bit of news.

those aren't the words of adamghost.
whose side are you on, man?    Smokin

Oopsy!

shoulda quoted Mike Elder.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 08, 2013, 04:59:04 PM »

Brian was/is the Charles Ives of California!  Think about it!

I'm thinking about it. I don't see it. At all. Care to elaborate? Now, if you said Van Dyke Parks was the Charles Ives of California...

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 08, 2013, 05:36:13 PM »

You don't really believe that...you just wanted to use "vaporware" in a post.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
PhilCohen
« Reply #209 on: May 08, 2013, 06:35:26 PM »

"Vaporware" is a computer industry expression for product that is promoted (or even advertised) but which, in reality, does not exist. As for "Made in California",  it doesn't even meet the minimum criteria for vaporware, since there is no promotion. And Capitol's statement (in December 2010) didn't even mention a title for the box set  project. The title "Made in California" may be nothing more than a product of fan-generated rumor on the internet.

In all likelyhood, given the difficulties of dealing with the dysfunctional , feuding Beach Boys, Capitol(under its new owners) probably doesn't even care whether The Beach Boys ever agree to or deliver the box set project. "50 Big Ones" and the 12 album remasters didn't sell in huge quantities. Capitol has plenty of other, much easier ways to make money: by releasing a CD or download by one Capitol's  contemporary 21st century artists. Such product will easily outsell the mythical Beach Boys box set.  For Capitol, releasing contemporary music (by artists eager to see their music released) is simply taking  the path of least resistance.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 08, 2013, 06:56:25 PM »

"Vaporware" is a computer industry expression for product that is promoted (or even advertised) but which, in reality, does not exist. As for "Made in California",  it doesn't even meet the minimum criteria for vaporware, since there is no promotion. And Capitol's statement (in December 2010) didn't even mention a title for the box set  project. The title "Made in California" may be nothing more than a product of fan-generated rumor on the internet.

In all likelyhood, given the difficulties of dealing with the dysfunctional , feuding Beach Boys, Capitol(under its new owners) probably doesn't even care whether The Beach Boys ever agree to or deliver the box set project. "50 Big Ones" and the 12 album remasters didn't sell in huge quantities. Capitol has plenty of other, much easier ways to make money: by releasing a CD or download by one Capitol's  contemporary 21st century artists. Such product will easily outsell the mythical Beach Boys box set.  For Capitol, releasing contemporary music (by artists eager to see their music released) is simply taking  the path of least resistance.

So you did simply want to use the word vaporware, since by your definition the box set is not.
 It's been ventured before, and will probably be again, so I suggest:  you swear now that if the box does appear you will never ever darken this board again with your posting. and stick to it.
 If the box doesn't appear, the rest of us will leave this board to you. I swear.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 08, 2013, 06:58:20 PM »

"Vaporware" is a computer industry expression for product that is promoted (or even advertised) but which, in reality, does not exist. As for "Made in California",  it doesn't even meet the minimum criteria for vaporware, since there is no promotion. And Capitol's statement (in December 2010) didn't even mention a title for the box set  project. The title "Made in California" may be nothing more than a product of fan-generated rumor on the internet.

You didn't see the MIC logo that was posted on the facebook of somebody who is working on the project.

Or the fact that people on this board have actually seen a possibly track listing, or the fact that members of the band have actually acknowledged the box set's existence. How about the fact that we have gotten a release date.

Come on Phil we know you love box sets and hate waiting for them but wait this one out patiently with us.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 08, 2013, 07:01:36 PM »

Honestly, these people are right. He is mentally ill. This behaviour shouldn't be encouraged.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 08, 2013, 07:06:48 PM »

Phil, why do you hate Capitol so much?

Please, PHIL me in.
Get it?
You're welcome.

No, seriously, why do you?

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 08, 2013, 07:20:26 PM »

Phil, you never replied to my bet. MIC doesn't come out, I permanently quit the board. If it comes out this summer, you do the same. Time to put up or shut up!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
PhilCohen
« Reply #215 on: May 08, 2013, 07:25:24 PM »

Please, PHIL me in.
Get it?
You're welcome.

I believe in a concept that may seem old-fashioned to many of you, and it is this: If you make a promise, then you keep that promise. If you say that you're going to release a box set "Later This Year"(I.E. in 2012), then you follow through and you DELIVER THE GOODS. The blame for the situation we now have resides primarily with the feuding Beach Boys, and, to a lesser extent, with Capitol Records.

One thing that is certain(and I'm sure that we can all agree on this): None of us music fans are to blame that The Beach Boys have split into two feuding factions. We are not to blame for the fact that they can't get along with each other.

Maybe they (The Beach Boys) should recognize that it is time to put the fans first, and permit the box set to be released. Then, they can go back to hating and suing each other for the remainder of their days. Without the fans, neither faction has a career.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 08, 2013, 07:36:44 PM »

I want the box set as much as everybody, but if new material was/is discovered after the announcment of the box, then I would gladly wait another 6 or so months until said material can be evaluated and properly considered. What if they released the box set tomorrow, and found the lost vocal sessions for "I Ran" next week? Or Dennis's Labor Day?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 08, 2013, 07:44:18 PM »

I want the box set as much as everybody, but if new material was/is discovered after the announcment of the box, then I would gladly wait another 6 or so months until said material can be evaluated and properly considered. What if they released the box set tomorrow, and found the lost vocal sessions for "I Ran" next week? Or Dennis's Labor Day?

I'm thinking you're almost as crazy as Phil. Someday, someday.....   

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 08, 2013, 08:02:50 PM »

This has been a bad month for Phil. His Sonny and Cher rarities box set got delayed and he's confused about MIC.

We should cut him some slack.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 08, 2013, 08:34:01 PM »

Please, PHIL me in.
Get it?
You're welcome.

I believe in a concept that may seem old-fashioned to many of you, and it is this: If you make a promise, then you keep that promise. If you say that you're going to release a box set "Later This Year"(I.E. in 2012), then you follow through and you DELIVER THE GOODS. The blame for the situation we now have resides primarily with the feuding Beach Boys, and, to a lesser extent, with Capitol Records.

One thing that is certain(and I'm sure that we can all agree on this): None of us music fans are to blame that The Beach Boys have split into two feuding factions. We are not to blame for the fact that they can't get along with each other.

Maybe they (The Beach Boys) should recognize that it is time to put the fans first, and permit the box set to be released. Then, they can go back to hating and suing each other for the remainder of their days. Without the fans, neither faction has a career.

Yeah, but when was it ever said "BOX SET IN 2012. WE PROMISE!!!"

Usually when major delays happen with archival releases, it's because more has been found that folks want included. If that's the case, I ain't really bitchin'.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
PhilCohen
« Reply #220 on: May 08, 2013, 09:05:13 PM »

This has been a bad month for Phil. His Sonny and Cher rarities box set got delayed and he's confused about MIC.

Ha Ha. I'm not even a fan of Sonny & Cher.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 08, 2013, 09:26:24 PM »

Ha Ha. I'm not even a fan of Sonny & Cher.

Yeah, you prefer the solo Cher material, right Phil? Personally I'm hoping she puts out some more CD product soon, as I am worn out from listening to what CD product she has already released. I can also not wait for the live Wings CD product to be released later this month. Along with the new live Beach Boys CD product.
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 08, 2013, 10:01:35 PM »

perhaps what MIC really stands for is  "Mission: Irritate Cohen"
zachrwolfe
« Reply #223 on: May 08, 2013, 10:14:19 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:10:52 PM by zatch » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 08, 2013, 10:18:01 PM »

That's actually pretty eerily similar to a modern day bored Brian expression.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx