gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:05:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Made In California set for August 27th!!!!  (Read 127160 times)
Nicko1234
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2013, 04:34:47 PM »

Just figured he'd push for his work to be included.  Not a big deal.  Royalties.

Is "Won't You Tell Me" really a Beach Boys recording?  I think it's from 1969.  
Sometimes with the quality of boots, you never know.

There's also the 1976 version of "Sherry She Needs Me."

Man, they can do 6 discs of just rarities.  But they won't.

Won't You Tell Me was a Murry Wilson song I think. Little chance of it being included.

I understand what you mean about Mike but I think the image of him scheming ways to include his songs (and omit Dennis's) is a myth. All of the rarities albums that have been released have included a lot of Dennis's stuff and very little of Mike's.

I would have thought the new box would include songs like Hawaii, Let Him Run Wild, Kiss Me Baby, All I Wanna Do, Big Sur (early version), It's A Beautiful Day, Somewhere Near Japan etc. and a lot more that weren't on the 1993 box. If you add on all of the classic songs that Mike has a writing credit for then I don't think he is going to have much cause for concern.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2013, 04:36:43 PM »

Ricky Fataar is still playing with Bonnie Raitt's band, which he has been doing for a very long time.  The band is phenomenal...Mike Finnigan on keys and Bonnie on Guitar....killer band. Watch their Austin City Limits set if you can find it.

Will look, I was half scared someone would say 'he's DEAD' which would slow my roll somewhat. Thanks!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2013, 05:20:24 PM »

...songs that were a treasure trove of recordings from the KTSA sessions/era.

The only unreleased KTSA/1979 tracks I remember from Alan's house were "Why Didn't I Tell You?," and "Little Girl (Sunshine)," which had a note: "rough mix with scratch vocal."

I have heard that the Ed Carter song, "Surfer Suzie" is really good.  I have never heard it, but AGD's website shows it with a lead by Al.
MBE
« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2013, 10:08:21 PM »

Won't You Tell Me is a Murry song but Brian and Carl sing it well. It's from 1971.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 26, 2013, 06:30:30 PM »

If we haven't already, we should do a thread on the top 5-10 things we would want in this box if we were the ones putting it together.

I agree with the other poster who said he may be more excited about the tracklisting for this than the SMiLE Sessions.. because here
we just have no idea what we're going to get.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2013, 07:25:49 PM »

I said that. It is incredibly exciting.

Only three things in life are certain, death, taxes and my excitement for Made In California.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: April 27, 2013, 07:30:52 AM »

If we haven't already, we should do a thread on the top 5-10 things we would want in this box if we were the ones putting it together.

Let's not.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #107 on: April 27, 2013, 11:54:47 AM »

Far more interesting: Unreleased songs which stand a chance of appearing on the box, but which you'd rather remained in the vaults... And lets just stick to songs that might realistically make the cut (so, you know, not the alternate Hey Little Tomboy).

For me it's 'Everybody's Got To Live', which i know some people love, but which i really can't stand. Why? Well, the song itself is pretty lame, and Carl's vocal is horrible, but it's the lyrics that really get to me:

'The cigarette butt when you throw it in the water go pssstt!'

Yeah, ok, so a pretty wacky opening line. Maybe it's going to be one of Brian's Love You-style quirky lyrics, wherein it should be bad but yet somehow it's great.

But then... 'But the trick is you shouldn't laugh'.

Laugh? Why would i laugh at a cigarette butt going pssstt?

'Coz if you start laughing you're just a coward. If you start laughing you're just a coward'.

I mean... what? Why is it cowardly to laugh - or rather, why is cowardly to laugh at a cigarette butt going pssstt?

As i say, i usually love Brian's goofy lyrics (I could happily spent an entire evening listening to Solar System - in fact, i just might) but the lyrics to EGTL aren't goofy or fun - they're just nonsense. Psychotherapy codswollap. Crap, basically. I know the song isn't credited to Landy, but to me these lyrics have his influence all over them.

So yeah. I hope Everybody's Got To Live ain't on MIC. Any other suggestions?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 11:58:50 AM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #108 on: April 27, 2013, 11:57:08 AM »

B
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 11:58:21 AM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 27, 2013, 12:13:13 PM »

B

C

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2013, 12:27:10 PM »

D

(Yeah, i accidently posted the exact same message twice, but then i couldn't delete the bloody second one, so i just modified it to, er.... a B.)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2013, 12:30:08 PM »

D

(Yeah, i accidently posted the exact same message twice, but then i couldn't delete the bloody second one, so i just modified it to, er.... a B.)

F

For failure

let's not become LE REDDIT or 9fag just quite yet
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #112 on: April 27, 2013, 01:00:39 PM »

D

F

For failure

let's not become LE REDDIT or 9fag just quite yet

I literally have absolutely no idea what that means.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2013, 02:31:27 PM »

G

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2013, 02:38:54 PM »

"L" for Lets get back on topic.  LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 28, 2013, 06:29:58 AM »

I wonder if this will make it onto the box set?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEpqxVB-5VA

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 28, 2013, 06:47:13 AM »

Hopefully not. But there are those of us, myself included, who hope that one day, somehow, everything will be available.

Roll Eyes
Except Mike's duet on Do You Hear What I hear with Mary McGregor.

“We live in divisive times.”
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 28, 2013, 11:17:20 AM »

A part of me is like burn it with fire.

But then another part of me is saying if Mike enjoys singing songs like that then more power to him.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 28, 2013, 12:05:12 PM »

Here's another song which I would think realistically has a chance to make it: "Living Doll" which was released in 1987, and credited to The Beach Boys, although only Brian appears on it. And it's cowritten by Gene Landy and Alexandra Morgan. Yeahhhh.

However, it is an official release credited to The Beach Boys. And if they are considering some of the other '80s crap, I assume this deserves a thought as well.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 28, 2013, 12:38:45 PM »

Here's another song which I would think realistically has a chance to make it: "Living Doll" which was released in 1987, and credited to The Beach Boys, although only Brian appears on it. And it's cowritten by Gene Landy and Alexandra Morgan. Yeahhhh.

However, it is an official release credited to The Beach Boys. And if they are considering some of the other '80s crap, I assume this deserves a thought as well.

I'd never heard of that one before and after a quick trip to youtube I wish I never had.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Nicko1234
« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2013, 12:44:43 PM »

It is possible but I personally think it is worse than most of the, 'other '80s crap' as you put it. Poor production, vocals and lyrics.

Certainly weaker than Getcha Back, Where I Belong, Rock and Roll to the Rescue, California Dreaming, Kokomo, Somewhere Near Japan etc.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 28, 2013, 03:11:54 PM »

I have the original flexidisc!  And the California Barbie that came with it - or was that the other way around?
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: April 30, 2013, 12:48:20 AM »

It is possible but I personally think it is worse than most of the, 'other '80s crap' as you put it. Poor production, vocals and lyrics.

Certainly weaker than Getcha Back, Where I Belong, Rock and Roll to the Rescue, California Dreaming, Kokomo, Somewhere Near Japan etc.

It's up to par with Sweet Insanity though! Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 30, 2013, 12:57:08 AM »

It's up to par with Sweet Insanity though! Grin

Nah, Sweet Insanity's a fine album, taken in context. I like all three versions I have…

“We live in divisive times.”
MBE
« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2013, 11:32:22 PM »

Funny after all this time we know jack squat about this box.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx