gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:13:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Made In California set for August 27th!!!!  (Read 127232 times)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2013, 11:39:26 AM »

I know Mr. Boyd had some health issues but  it's wonderful to know he is feeling well enough to helm this project.

His health wasn't the issue, but yeah, he's totally fine now.

Now you've done it, people are going to ask what the issue actually was and possibly make wild assumptions and slag Mike off into the bargain.

Yep -- even though it was apparently Mike who persuaded him back on to the project.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2013, 12:03:45 PM »

I know Mr. Boyd had some health issues but  it's wonderful to know he is feeling well enough to helm this project.

Now you've done it, people are going to ask what the issue actually was and possibly make wild assumptions and slag Mike off into the bargain.

Yep -- even though it was apparently Mike who persuaded him back on to the project.

SO: what major faux pas did Mike commit , at Alan's expense, for which he had to grovel and apologize so as to get Alan back on board?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2013, 12:04:07 PM »

I'm glad to hear that Alan is back on MiC. Thanks for sharing that tidbit ponghit.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2013, 12:06:20 PM »

I know Mr. Boyd had some health issues but  it's wonderful to know he is feeling well enough to helm this project.

No doubt Mike was vetoing WIBNTLA, CMH, and every other DW vault track and Alan only came back when Mike relented.

LOL

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2013, 12:43:47 PM »

Wild assumptions or do folk know that Boyd left due to interference by Mike or anyone else? Do we even know he was involved for the outset?

I assumed from that news that Boyd was invited on to the project by Mike who, as a shrewd business guy, saw the success of TSS and invited Boyd on to this project in the hope that his expertise and dedication and previous record and the way he seems to work so well with Mark Linett would help steer this project to similar success.

But admittedly that's just my own assumption.

“We live in divisive times.”
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2013, 01:08:15 PM »

Wild assumptions or do folk know that Boyd left due to interference by Mike or anyone else? Do we even know he was involved for the outset?

I assumed from that news that Boyd was invited on to the project by Mike who, as a shrewd business guy, saw the success of TSS and invited Boyd on to this project in the hope that his expertise and dedication and previous record and the way he seems to work so well with Mark Linett would help steer this project to similar success.

PongHit, who knows Alan, says Alan left the project and Mike got him to come back. Not Mike had invited him  onto the projecy in the first place, "Alan removed himself from the project last year, but in November he told me Mike had persuaded him to return to it."

Seemed quite weird to me when I heard the Beach Boys Archivist wasn't involved in their career spanning, 6 CD boxset. Seems Alan is quite the gentleman and wouldn't speak ill of a band member. Would not surprise me that a band member  or representative made Alan leave the project in the first place.

Knowing Alan's love for WIBNTLA, I am 100% sure it will be on the box.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Paulos
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2013, 01:30:21 PM »

Maybe Mike told Boyd that the shoes he was wearing were the ugliest he'd ever seen...
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2013, 01:59:47 PM »

Maybe Mike keyed Boyds car.

Maybe Mike kept taking Boyds yoghurt out of the studio fridge.

Maybe Mike fired a gun in the studio.

Maybe Mike went to a Chaos Band concert and booed loudly.

Maybe Mike loves the crack pipe.

Maybe Mike insisted on doing all his parts in tight fitting swimwear.

Maybe Mike spilled apple juice over the board.

Maybe Mike vetoed every song with a Brian Wilson writing credit, even if he also had one.

Maybe Mike vetoed every song on the boxset with any writing credit, leaving a boxset of Sloop John B, Michael Row The Boat Ashore, Auld Lang Syne, and The Battle Hymn Of The Republic. Especially The Battle Hymn Of The Republic

Maybe Mike found the Country Love mastertapes

Maybe Mike's dog is an asshole

Maybe Mike had a really bad illness and wouldn't go to the doctors but instead insisted on working and just complained about how ill he was all the time.

Maybe Mike had really bad gas.

Maybe Mike said that Boyd had bad ESP

Maybe Mike kept reading the dirty parts of 50 Shades Of Grey out loud.

Maybe Mike asked someone in earshot who the hell this Alan Boyd guy was, anyway.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
oldsurferdude
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2013, 02:13:25 PM »

Maybe Mike kept taking Boyds yoghurt out of the studio fridge.

Maybe Mike fired a gun in the studio.

Maybe Mike went to a Chaos Band concert and booed loudly.

Maybe Mike loves the crack pipe.

Maybe Mike insisted on doing all his parts in tight fitting swimwear.

Maybe Mike spilled apple juice over the board.

Maybe Mike vetoed every song with a Brian Wilson writing credit, even if he also had one.

Maybe Mike vetoed every song on the boxset with any writing credit, leaving a boxset of Sloop John B, Michael Row The Boat Ashore, Auld Lang Syne, and The Battle Hymn Of The Republic. Especially The Battle Hymn Of The Republic

Maybe Mike found the Country Love mastertapes

Maybe Mike's dog is an asshole

Maybe Mike had a really bad illness and wouldn't go to the doctors but instead insisted on working and just complained about how ill he was all the time.

Maybe Mike had really bad gas.

Maybe Mike said that Boyd had bad ESP

Maybe Mike kept reading the dirty parts of 50 Shades Of Grey out loud.

Maybe Mike asked someone in earshot who the hell this Alan Boyd guy was, anyway.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2013, 02:57:06 PM »

Maybe Mike kept using the master of WIBNTLA as a coaster to rest his jug of apple juice on.

Maybe Mike insisted that Stamos re-recorded every single drum part that Dennis ever did.

Maybe Mike kept leaving the toilet seat up.

Maybe Mike exposed himself to some little kids.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2013, 03:03:05 PM »

Mike was not to blame, and I didn't intend to imply he was — in fact, seems to me Mike was/is super-cool to Alan. Anyway, it hardly matters now — Mark & Alan are doing the box as it should be. Water under the bridge.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Paulos
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2013, 03:12:42 PM »

Mike was not to blame, and I didn't intend to imply he was — in fact, seems to me Mike was/is super-cool to Alan. Anyway, it hardly matters now — Mark & Alan are doing the box as it should be. Water under the bridge.

We know that you didn't imply Mike was the reason Alan initially left the project - we just joking around and doing what normally happens around here which is to blame Mike for everything!
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2013, 03:20:50 PM »

...just joking around and doing what normally happens around here which is to blame Mike for everything!

In this instance, we have Mike to thank for bringing the indispensable Mr. Boyd back to the project.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2013, 03:24:10 PM »

Relieved for that clarification!  MAny thanks.

“We live in divisive times.”
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2013, 03:51:52 PM »

Incidentally, about a year ago Alan was nice enough to let me preview material for the box at his house — details here:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,12489.msg258046.html#msg258046

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2013, 04:02:10 PM »

That thread really is a teaser for MIC.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Nicko1234
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2013, 04:16:11 PM »

Incidentally, about a year ago Alan was nice enough to let me preview material for the box at his house — details here:

That thread certainly is an interesting one to read.

If you can remember, how much of the stuff that you heard do you think could be 'releasable' on the box set? Obviously it's just speculation but did most of it seem like stuff that wouldn't have been out of place on the 1993 box set for example?
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2013, 04:25:17 PM »

Goosebumps.  LOL
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2013, 04:41:02 PM »

If you can remember, how much of the stuff that you heard do you think could be 'releasable' on the box set? Obviously it's just speculation but did most of it seem like stuff that wouldn't have been out of place on the 1993 box set for example?

I'd say most of it is releasable — but rather than the '93 box, I'd say some of the material wouldn't be out of place on HAWTHORNE.

—MURRY WILSON

—MIKE LOVE

—BRIAN WILSON
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2013, 10:23:40 PM »

I don't have any inside info, as such, but remember that working on Beach Boys stuff is not all just sitting around listening to unreleased stuff, as you know.  It's really quite a lot of work, and Alan and Mark have often put aside their personal projects to do Beach Boys stuff.  I mean, it's an incredible testament to how much they love the music.  Mark probably has had to turn down interesting engineering gigs, and Alan has all kinds of fantastic film-related projects in development, and of course is such a talented musician in his own right.  One of these days our beloved box-set producer maestri are going to get to sit back on a beach somewhere and get to pursue their other interests, no holds barred.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2013, 01:03:14 AM »

Mike kept taking Boyds yoghurt out of the studio fridge.

Mike fired a gun in the studio.

Mike went to a Chaos Band concert and booed loudly.

Mike loves the crack pipe.

Mike insisted on doing all his parts in tight fitting swimwear.

Mike spilled apple juice over the board.

Mike vetoed every song with a Brian Wilson writing credit, even if he also had one.

Mike vetoed every song on the boxset with any writing credit, leaving a boxset of Sloop John B, Michael Row The Boat Ashore, Auld Lang Syne, and The Battle Hymn Of The Republic. Especially The Battle Hymn Of The Republic

Mike found the Country Love mastertapes

Mike's dog is an asshole

Mike had a really bad illness and wouldn't go to the doctors but instead insisted on working and just complained about how ill he was all the time.

Mike had really bad gas.

Mike said that Boyd had bad ESP

Mike kept reading the dirty parts of 50 Shades Of Grey out loud.

Mike asked someone in earshot who the hell this Alan Boyd guy was, anyway.

To the tabloids!

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2013, 03:33:29 AM »

...just joking around and doing what normally happens around here which is to blame Mike for everything!

In this instance, we have Mike to thank for bringing the indispensable Mr. Boyd back to the project.

Finally, he does SOMETHING GOOD for once  Wink

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2013, 04:41:28 AM »

Only problem is we now know Mike is heavily involved in the project, oh no  Shocked

A whole disc devoted to "sumahama"  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2013, 05:09:19 AM »

Several years ago, adamghost made a few posts about some of the recordings that Alan Boyd had on his Ipod(I believe it was an Ipod). From the little that I can recall, adamghost listed some songs that were a treasure trove of recordings from the KTSA sessions/era. Perhaps if adamghost sees this post he might be willing to share any details or song titles. Or perhaps I may have unwittingly just put Adam and Alan in some hot water...I hope not.   Lips Sealed

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2013, 05:16:46 AM »

Several years ago, adamghost made a few posts about some of the recordings that Alan Boyd had on his Ipod(I believe it was an Ipod). From the little that I can recall, adamghost listed some songs that were a treasure trove of recordings from the KTSA sessions/era. Perhaps if adamghost sees this post he might be willing to share any details or song titles. Or perhaps I may have unwittingly just put Adam and Alan in some hot water...I hope not.   Lips Sealed

You should do as the British participants in 'Have I Got News For You' do: the editor of satirical mag Private Eye, Ian Hislop, gets away with everything under the sun, by inserting 'allegedly' frequently in his statements, where these are of a politically sensitive or explosive nature.

Or start such references to past events with: 'yesterday I overheard the following in a bar'.

Hope this helps.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx