gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:24:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Made In California set for August 27th!!!!  (Read 127183 times)
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2013, 07:10:23 AM »

The WMMR piece was written by me for my nationally syndicated feed.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2013, 08:28:12 AM »

We have already been discussing this for a few days now:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15484.0.html

Still, the more announcements here and elsewhere, the better...right??  Smiley

Why would you think that? I mean, there are already 3 or 4 threads on here (active threads too) about MiC. Why not just post the link there instead of clutter things up?

Because I believe the more announcements, the better...certainly this one is better for someone who doesn't know that "MIC" stands for "Made In California", and also better because it has the supposed release date right there in the topic line.  Someone with limited time, doing a quick scan of the topics, can quickly find it. 

Thanks for starting this thread c-man and ignore those moaning at you. I for one had given up on reading those other posts, they were just going round and round in circles, and seeing your new post was the first thing to alert me to the official MIC release date, so thanks! Great news. Can't wait!!
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2013, 09:40:04 AM »

2013 is turning out to be another great year for the Beach Boys or should I say fans of the Beach Boys. Live CD set and  MIC box set on the way!

I'd rather see the five touring together but what can you do.

If there were a new studio album coming out this year I think it would be too much Beach Boy product at one time.

Maybe we WILL get a new studio album in 2014.

I know. I know. There was an agreement for a certain amount of shows. There was an end point. Blah, Blah, Blah.

Abandon Hope, All Ye Who Enter Here...  angel Evil

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2013, 09:45:41 AM »

LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2013, 09:57:01 AM »

Ahhhhhh, WMMR is one of the few good rock stations left in the Philadelphia area. Pierre Robert is a HUGE fan of the band, especially Brian.

I'm trying to figure out why you don't chime in more when I or one of the other Philly-area fans start talking Philly radio and the BB's.  Smiley  There have been several in the past two years.

One of the best was 94 WYSP in the 80's and early 90's. The late and much-missed Ed Sciaky had a show Sunday nights called "The Sunday Night Alternative" where he'd spin BB's, and a watershed moment for me and Philly radio was when he spun the Smile tracks as soon as they became official on the box set in an uninterrupted block of every Smile-related track on the box. Who does that anymore?

If Ed and his free-form Sunday show were still around, I know he's do the same when the new box set comes out.

WYSP also played - uninterrupted and commercial free - entire CD's when classic albums were coming out on disc for the first time. They spun Pet Sounds, the Concert/Live In London 2-fer, and other BB's albums which was great for me as I saved my money to buy the actual discs but could have a cassette to play in the meantime.

Another 'YSP treat was a wild free-form show, playlists be damned, called "The Ricky Mess" with DJ Rick Allen, who worked the overnight shift. He'd spin anything, including BB's deep cuts and Monkees. Very cool.

Hard to believe but I still have a bias against 'MMR going back to when Stern declared war on DeBella and his Morning Zoo on 'MMR, and I never listened beyond that although DeBella redeemed himself and Pierre Robert is a very knowledgeable and cool music guy all-around.

For Philly radio now, related to BB's, check 88.5 WXPN, especially the show "Many Moods Of Ben Vaughn", which airs Saturdays at 5 and is also streamed online as a podcast, I believe. Every few weeks he pulls out a late 60's BB's track or several, and I think the Friends-20/20 era may be his favorite because most of what he plays comes from those albums. The regular hosts especially on weekends and request shows throw in some deep BB's tracks every so often, and that's where I first heard That's Why God Made The Radio on the radio.

If Pierre does do something special for the box set, keep us posted, I'll definitely tune in. It would be great to have had Ed Sciaky on the Philly airwaves as all of the incredible releases of the past few years have been coming out, I know he'd be playing the Smile box for sure, as he would the upcoming set.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
OGoldin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2013, 10:52:30 AM »

I was a teenager in the Philadelphia area in the early 70s.  I remember that "Feel Flows" and other songs from "Surf's Up" were on heavy rotation on WMMR at the time.  I give them credit for permanently ensconcing the Beach Boys as cool within my own consciousness.

The station went from "underground radio" to a more heavy metal/mainstream rock format within several years, but left some room for the aesthetic judgment of the djs -- in the 80s Michael Tearson told me the station was a benevolent dictatorship.  Glad to see that the stations still has some aesthetic credibility.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2013, 11:02:23 AM »

I was a teenager in the Philadelphia area in the early 70s.  I remember that "Feel Flows" and other songs from "Surf's Up" were on heavy rotation on WMMR at the time.  I give them credit for permanently ensconcing the Beach Boys as cool within my own consciousness.

The station went from "underground radio" to a more heavy metal/mainstream rock format within several years, but left some room for the aesthetic judgment of the djs -- in the 80s Michael Tearson told me the station was a benevolent dictatorship.  Glad to see that the stations still has some aesthetic credibility.

WMMR used to be - like Boston's WBCN in the 70's - a powerhouse of an FM station, living up to it's rock and free-form cred. But in the 80's I could hardly listen - it was bordering on parody and something of a farce, where they'd have parades of Philly executive types parading down the street in Hawaiian shirts singing "Louie Louie" and other such nonsense that had nothing to do with playing good records. All of that "Morning Zoo" stuff was hard to take, which is why I'm still a little biased against them. A great, rocking FM station was turned into mush in the 80's.

After Stern and 'YSP decimated those Zookeepers over at 93.3 (not just morning drive but all day and night in the ratings), and took all their ratings in a matter of a few years, WMMR tried switching to one of the most well-documented failures in recent radio history, doing a format called "Rock And Jock" radio, where they'd have amped-up jock talkers and sports guys like Howard Eskin talking about the fucking Flyers games in between playing lame metal records. Colossal flop and embarrassment. Soon to be followed by a switch to almost all metal music, then "classic metal", then "classic hard rock"...I don't know how a true music lover like Pierre Robert hung around, but it's good he did.

If they're on somewhat of a steadier ground format-wise, and not playing Scorpions records as "classic metal", I'll give them another try.  Smiley

But for sure, they were one of the best rock stations in the country in the 70's, no doubt.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 11:03:27 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2013, 11:57:42 AM »

Just curious, why did you call it a "deep cut" box set, unless you know something we don't.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2013, 12:02:09 PM »

Sorry Howie, my mistake. I cofused the dates of different MIC news tidbits.
http://www.wxhc.com/music-news.php?id=4233  Your Alan Boyd quote only appears in your cooy as far as I can tell.

Speaking of Alan Boyd, it's been repeatedly stated on this board that Alan isn't involved in the making of MIC but
http://www.famebureau.com/beach-boys-archives.html says Alan is producing the boxset. Do you have any more nuggets of information you would care to share?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2013, 12:30:28 PM »

Just curious, why did you call it a "deep cut" box set, unless you know something we don't.

Yes I saw this 'deep cut' thing mentioned elsewhere. What's the source for this?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2013, 12:51:29 PM »

Yes I saw this 'deep cut' thing mentioned elsewhere. What's the source for this?
Howie's copy from his news feed.

Howie  is a esteemed rock writer with deep, solid contacts into the Beach Boys world.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2013, 02:01:00 PM »

"Deep cuts".

Album tracks. Not just the hits. B-sides. A non-commercial track that isn't heard on the radio much. Alternate and unreleased tracks.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2013, 06:39:36 AM »

Made in California advertised at the Hotline of Beach Boys Fan Club:

http://www.beachboysfanclub.com/

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2013, 07:02:59 AM »

Wonder where that info came from… possibly the same source as the tracklist that was posted here a day or three ago?

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2013, 07:10:47 AM »

Wonder where that info came from… possibly the same source as the tracklist that was posted here a day or three ago?

Two great minds...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2013, 07:45:58 AM »

Well there ya go, no more doubts about the release date.

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2013, 08:04:35 AM »

It says it's 'tentatively' set for that date.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2013, 09:03:07 AM »

It says it's 'tentatively' set for that date.

I was being sarcastic  Tip Toe

SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2013, 01:47:46 AM »

Later than I expected, but at least there is a date now Smiley
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2013, 09:20:43 AM »

Yes, it came from the exact same article(s). BBFC monitors this site too. Wink

The tracklisting link was placed under the wrong Hotline item, tho -- it was supposed to be for the live album and has been fixed.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 09:22:25 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2013, 10:06:41 AM »

So it's you, MDH!  I always thought Alice Lillie was running that site!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2013, 10:57:37 AM »

Speaking of Alan Boyd, it's been repeatedly stated on this board that Alan isn't involved in the making of MIC but
http://www.famebureau.com/beach-boys-archives.html says Alan is producing the boxset. Do you have any more nuggets of information you would care to share?

Alan removed himself from the project last year, but in November he told me Mike had persuaded him to return to it.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2013, 11:03:55 AM »

Alan removed himself from the project last year, but in November he told me Mike had persuaded him to return to it.

I know Mr. Boyd had some health issues but  it's wonderful to know he is feeling well enough to helm this project.

PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2013, 11:20:11 AM »

I know Mr. Boyd had some health issues but  it's wonderful to know he is feeling well enough to helm this project.

His health wasn't the issue, but yeah, he's totally fine now.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Paulos
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2013, 11:30:40 AM »

His health wasn't the issue, but yeah, he's totally fine now.

Now you've done it, people are going to ask what the issue actually was and possibly make wild assumptions and slag Mike off into the bargain.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx