gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:27:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stereo remaster of "Thank Him"  (Read 1794 times)
wingsoveramerica
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2020, 11:43:58 AM »

This is remaster/stereo mix of the 1963 demo of Thank Him. Hope someone on here enjoys it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejfmr1-FifQ

Jon G.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 12:10:28 PM »

Thanks so much for sharing. One of my favorite Brian songs - I used to hate the terrible quality we're stuck with, but it seems to give the song a mysterious atmosphere to it, which I've come to enjoy.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
kennyhasbeenfound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 12:33:01 PM »

Very nice, thanks!  I really like that song.  I agree about the mysterious feel.

"Shut up you guys"- Carl Wilson.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 03:03:21 AM »

Thank you!
I agree with the previous posts and the mysterious atmosphere.

When they talked about a new album - which turned out to be "That's why God made the Radio" - I thought that maybe they should take some unfinished songs from through the years and finish them, in case they couldn't come up with enough new material (I obviously didn't know about Brian's stash!) and this song was one I hoped they would try. It has that same fresh feeling that made the early Beach Boys material so timeless. I listen to this and the picture in my mind is of a carefree band that is just having fun making music and ready to show the world what they can do. All before the bitterness, the drugs, the scandals and fallingouts.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
aingevt
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 05:26:30 AM »

Thank you for this! I honestly wasn't expecting much considering the sound quality of the original. Somehow you managed to make it all sound more pleasing to the ears. I've been clamoring for a clean version ever since I heard rumor that there is one in the vault that just isn't being released.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 06:54:12 AM »

When they talked about a new album - which turned out to be "That's why God made the Radio" - I thought that maybe they should take some unfinished songs from through the years and finish them, in case they couldn't come up with enough new material (I obviously didn't know about Brian's stash!) and this song was one I hoped they would try. It has that same fresh feeling that made the early Beach Boys material so timeless. I listen to this and the picture in my mind is of a carefree band that is just having fun making music and ready to show the world what they can do. All before the bitterness, the drugs, the scandals and fallingouts.

What a great idea! And the "Thank Him" lyrics would've fit perfectly on the same record as "That's Why God Made The Radio"

Man, even if it were just a 40 second remake of the harmonies tagged at the end of the album, would've been perfect.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 12:19:58 PM »

This song always blew my mind in that a) it's so early on, yet the harmonies are just fantastic, and b) that this was never returned to later on and remade.

Brian always said that "God Only Knows" was the first pop song with God in the title--well, it's not exactly in the title here, but it's certainly about God. And wanting a girl. (Which WAS returned to, sort of, in a couple of much later songs--"Let Us Go On This Way" and "Still I Dream of It"...)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 12:22:36 PM »

I would love a video of a 2020 BW solo piano version.... Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 01:32:14 AM »

Brian always said that "God Only Knows" was the first pop song with God in the title

Which itself is up to debate. If you count Country Music as Pop (as in popular music) then the word "God" had been used before "God only knows". But these things are not important of course. Just wanted to add that.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2020, 09:08:34 AM »

You're correct, yes; it's just Brian's claim.

I was mainly pointing out that this leaning was there before GOK and well after, too. It's just interesting to note.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx