gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680724 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 10:11:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wind Chimes cover  (Read 1543 times)
egon spengler
« on: April 09, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »

I had a little spare recording time this weekend for the first time in a while, so I wrapped up a cover of Wind Chimes that I've been working on for my SMiLE cover. I'm sure I'll remix it when I do Suite 3 properly, but I'm pretty happy how it turned out for now. Enjoy!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiOKgz0Vn9I
zachrwolfe
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 08:15:35 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:14:26 PM by zatch » Logged
egon spengler
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 05:18:11 PM »

Amazing as usual!

Thanks! I was never a super huge fan of this tune till I started working on it, but that's definitely changed. The riff in that pre-outro break is killer!
zachrwolfe
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 06:10:29 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:13:49 PM by zatch » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 06:24:00 PM »

This is excellent!!!!!! Crazy good. One thing, if you're going for authenticity, you might want to lose the cymbal/hi hat sound and push harder on the snare beats.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
egon spengler
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 08:02:33 PM »

This is excellent!!!!!! Crazy good. One thing, if you're going for authenticity, you might want to lose the cymbal/hi hat sound and push harder on the snare beats.
Thanks! Love the feedback. I've been listening to this a ton and taking notes for the final mix, and definitely agree that the snare's more hidden than I meant.

Could you elaborate on your hi-hat comment? The only percussion is finger snaps, coconut shells, and temple blocks in the verse, and snare/bass and castanets in the chorus/break/outro. I'm going to add some more castanets to the verse (up front in the first four bars of the TSS album cut), and maybe bury them a bit more elsewhere. Could that be what you're talking about? (I also feel like the 12-string needs to lose some high end because the picking is kinda adding an unintended phantom percussion feel.)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 02:08:56 PM »

In the first chorus, I'm hearing a 4/4 thing that sounds like it's hi-hat or cymbal hits - like something a drummer would be doing with his right hand while the other hand hits the snare. It might be the temple blocks? It sounds good, it's just that in the BB version you get these massive snare/tom hits.....

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx