-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:55:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Sandbox thread for insignificant chit-chat
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sandbox thread for insignificant chit-chat  (Read 107990 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 28, 2020, 05:02:39 PM »

Hm, well, it's nice thing to say. Thanks.

Paging English speakers - is anybody puzzled at weddings priest tells marrying pair "I dub you man & wife"? Shouldn't it be husband & wife?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 28, 2020, 05:09:15 PM »

.... this clip described "the most disgusting thing I've ever seen" may be sth....

Speak English pls. police

Can someone please translate these words that I have put in bold. It doesn't look like English.  Evil angel
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 29, 2020, 08:12:49 AM »

Paging English speakers - is anybody puzzled at weddings priest tells marrying pair "I dub you man & wife"? Shouldn't it be husband & wife?

I haven’t heard “dub” in a wedding ceremony. But “man and wife” was usually used in weddings up until recent decades when it was decided “husband and wife” was preferable as the culture changed. And for the most part, the bride’s vow no longer says “love, honor AND OBEY.”

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 29, 2020, 08:59:03 AM »

But can't you explain why it's *man* & wife? Isn't "husband" logical in that phrase? "Man" paired with "woman", "male" with "female", what's the deal with this "man & wife"? Curious about "why?". Can you tell good explanation that answers question well?
Re: dub - nobody used it, I didn't care about verb, I put focus at "man & wife" bit that's it.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 29, 2020, 05:21:14 PM »

But can't you explain why it's *man* & wife? Isn't "husband" logical in that phrase? "Man" paired with "woman", "male" with "female", what's the deal with this "man & wife"? Curious about "why?". Can you tell good explanation that answers question well?
Re: dub - nobody used it, I didn't care about verb, I put focus at "man & wife" bit that's it.

The best I can think of is that a married woman wasn’t seen so much as her own person but as belonging to another. So a man and his wife.
In more recent times came the idea of the man and woman in a marriage being equals, thus husband and wife.

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 01, 2020, 02:14:34 PM »

You did the best, ta. Begin to see it now.

Seeing "Password" game - which is really catchy TV game - few times been used "plump". Clues people gave to it - "chubby", "fat", "stocky", "beefy". Then, smb. used with ascending intonation, as if the other gamer must continue: "pleasantly...?". I didn't get what "pleasant" got to do with it yet that clue worked! Thus, discovered new phrase - "pleasantly plump".

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 06, 2020, 08:52:50 AM »

Hey there, Nola. Anyhoo. Discovered new English phrase "Well heeled". Anybody use it? No, it's archaic? Paging English speakers.  police  Hello

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 17, 2020, 05:26:50 AM »

Hey there, Nola. Anyhoo. Discovered new English phrase "Well heeled". Anybody use it? No, it's archaic? Paging English speakers.  police  Hello
Hm, nobody answered? Hey there peeps.

Which meat bit do you like THE best? Let's discuss, everybody.  police I like liver, it's the best meat, don't care about main meat. It's meh. Just cook liver to this human.  3D Anybody else?

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 19, 2020, 03:48:52 AM »

Well? What's this silence? Any English speakers can't answer? & discuss meat, nobody will? What, nobody eats meat & can't discuss fun topic "fave meat bit"? I ask the best questions, after all. 3D

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 19, 2020, 06:42:17 PM »

Sorry, hadn’t seen this thread. Am dealing with some hopefully minor health issues .

Anyway, “well heeled “ means well off , someone who has a lot of things and money.

Favorite meat? Not liver. My Mother tried to make me eat beef liver a couple of times as a kid. Just had a strange taste . Tried mixing with potatoes but that didn’t work.
Chicken livers are a bit better. I don’t eat them on their own but they are ingredient in Dirty Rice, where rice, ground up chicken livers and other things are mixed together. I eat that every once in a while - it’s very popular here.
Favorite meat? Dunno. Trying to eat less meat. Unfortunately (because it isn’t healthy) my favorite is pork sausage.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: July 01, 2020, 07:12:02 AM »

Thanks, good answers, Liz. It being stated, the question been is it still used nowadays? No, it's archaic phrase? Can you tell? It's important to this not-English speaker to be explained well this CRUCIAL detail. police

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 01, 2020, 07:24:32 PM »

I love liver. I used to eat it all the time.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 02, 2020, 08:12:43 PM »

Well heeled is an expression that I hear on occasion so yes it’s used nowadays.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: