-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:22:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Sandbox thread for insignificant chit-chat
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sandbox thread for insignificant chit-chat  (Read 108294 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2018, 08:26:24 PM »

2Buckethead: when you finish answering song question in Reply #74, answer short fun survey I created, enjoy!

1. Etiquette says to use different fork & spoon when tasting different dishes. Would it be easy to memorize or you'd use the same?
2. Did you lose temper standing in line long? Haste smb. before you?
3. Tell the dearest thing about school. Any tricks you played to teacher/classmates when you studied at school?
4. Imagine. Boss tells you fine news - they say you inherit their boss duties but gives you time to think as they got the other 2 nominees. Would you say No can't handle duties or without hesitance Yes?
5. Is there any book that revealed sth. you never knew?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2018, 06:32:01 PM »

RRA1 - Bacharach - Arthur's Theme (BB friend Chris Cross)
           Mann-Weil - We Gotta get Out of This place (Animals)
           Goffin-King - Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow (Prefer Dave Mason version.)
           F. Bryant - B. Bryant - No real liking for anything that I know of that they wrote. Just not my style, a bit too cute for me.

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2018, 07:22:39 PM »

Survey answers:

1. I know what to use when, but only bother with what utensil to use when if I am at a formal dinner, wedding reception, etc. Otherwise, I use what makes sense to me. Still, it's always good to know the rules to use when you choose to - knowledge is power!

2. I never lose my temper when in a long line. If a situation were life-threatening, I would probably react strongly if someone cut in front of me. Really, though, people who do that just look like jerks and I don't give them an ounce of my energy. Besides, they eventually butt in front of the wrong person and...

3. My dearest memory of school was in 12th grade. My locker was next to a girl who went out of her way to say mean things about me. She was very popular - prom queen, head cheerleader, blah blah blah. Anyway, I had to dissect a pregnant cat during my last class. I wrapped the baby in tissue and took it to my locker, knowing that the Mean Girl would soon be there, pushing me out of her way to get her coat to go home. So I said, "Look! Isn't it cute?" She looked at it and turned a greenish shade, then ran to the restroom. I followed to and said that I was really sorry as she threw up in a toilet. 

4. I would never want to be a boss of anyone other than myself. Having been a supervisor in several jobs was enough of a nightmare.

5. This is a tough question. I learn things I never knew in many books. However, most eye-opening was The Nazi Doctors: Medical Killing and the Psychology of Genocide.  It was written by a psychiatrist who went around the world interviewing peers who had been involved in the Holocaust. I knew, of course, about the experiments on human subjects, but was unaware of the huge role psychiatrists and psychologist played in developing the genocidal system in such a way that perpetrators were spared the psychological angst and feeling of personal responsibility for killing. For example, when the Einsatzgruppen were sent to Ukraine to round up Jews and shoot them into pits, they often could not cope with what they had done. It was then suggested that victims be packed into vans into which the exhaust was directed into the rear; when the vans arrived at their destination, the "cargo" was dead and the driver did not have to bear witness. This eventually led to the camps in which inmates themselves did much of the work of death, and administrative responsibility was spread such that guilt was diffused. In one "hospital" with imperfect children marked for death, a diet of beautiful fresh fruit and vegetables was served - who would find fault with that? But with nothing else, no  fat, no protein, the kids starved to death. Especially interesting was the variety of reactions these men had to their deeds. Some had no remorse, made no excuses for their actions. It was war, Hitler meant well, etc. Others were clearly haunted. More than a few recalled with terror the "selections," when trainloads arrived at the camps and doctors, often as drunk or drugged as possible to cope, directed human beings to either immediate death or a living hell.  Some told of their feeling that they had no choice when the Third Reich, but described the many ways in which they worked, from their unique positions, to save lives when possible.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2018, 04:30:22 AM »

3. Wait, you chased mean girl to say sorry to her? What for?
5. I'd seen documentary researching the subject you talk about, historians tell there that Hitler had impersonators who were trained to speak like him etc. They kinda looked like him, they're sent to different places to give impression it's Hitler addressing people in the street. Did you know it?

Do you believe in UFO? Yeti?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2018, 03:30:49 PM »

HaHaHa! I followed Mean Girl into the girl's room to say that I was "sorry - are you OK?" very, very insincerely. This girl was the quintessential
peer-pressure conformist/enforcer we spoke of in Pet Peeves.

I would not be shocked if Hitler had impersonators, although I have not read that. I have read that Stalin had some impersonators. He was very paranoid, by all accounts, so it makes sense that he would want to be less of a target for would-be assassins.

I can't say that I believe UFOs, the Yeti, etc. I keep an open mind in case we actually get evidence, not the always-grainy photos that are ubiquitous. Same with ghosts. They may exist, but the only people I know who talk of their experiences with them tend to be deceptive, insincere people.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2018, 08:40:35 PM »

I too don't believe ghosts as I didn't see any. Simple as that.

You'd been in New York City. Did you pass by Brighton Beach? I read it's special place in New York inhabited with Russian immigrants who live & work there. I read & seen documentary where in street bazaars people sell Russian/ former 15 USSR state dishes like pelmeni, borsch, kurabiye (sp?), mamalyga (sp?) etc. Did you witness it?

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2018, 04:44:10 AM »

I've been to New York City  a dozen or so times, but never to Brighton Beach. There was "reality" show in recent years called Russian Dollsthat takes place in Brighton Beach. It features Russian emigres who live there, but only focuses on the very materialistic, money-worshipping few. All of the women have have a lot of obvious plastic surgery, demand $20,000 for a casual trip to the jewelry store, and the men drive cars that cost more than my house. In other words, the emphasis is very stereotypical, and others in the community are a bit annoyed by that. Still, I enjoyed looking for glimpses of actual culture. One restaurant is called Tatiana, another Rasputin. A common gathering place is a bath house, and one person spoke
guardedly about his family's experiences over generations in the then-USSR before emigrating. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2018, 05:27:34 AM »

Thanks for the info. Have you any phobias? I discussed it with few posters, smb. said they fear clowns without reason & without bad experience. They just say they're frightened, that's it. I've got emetophobia & waves, big/ tiny. It's eerie to see generally the water going shaky, moving about.

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2018, 01:28:12 PM »

Emetophobia was something I had until I got pregnant with twins. Puking every hour or so for 5 1/2 months (when it suddenly stopped) cured me of that; I had no choice. I guess we were both protected from the teenage-girl phenomenon for bulimia. Other than that, I panic at the sight of or thought of a rat. Spiders and snakes are OK (unless they are biting me), mice are tolerable in moderation, but do not bring a rat near me! Waves, I like, although I've never been on a boat in a bad storm with monster waves. Typically, I find them relaxing to swim in and watch. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2018, 03:33:32 PM »

It's good that you cured of it. Reading about various women going thru difficulties, I dubbed it "9 months of hell". Yet these women really happy & absolutely OK to tolerate, go figure.

Since you mentioned rats & mice, did you live with roaches in places you'd been?

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2018, 04:23:16 PM »

Yes, It's all worth it in the end.  No, I'v never lived with roaches, thank God. This, in spite of the fact that I am not a good housekeeper!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2018, 05:30:06 PM »

When I lived with grandfolks in the block of flats, granny kept the house very clean (still does, am sure) but we got roaches who shifted flat to flat, neighbor to neighbor via ventilation/ central heating holes etc. If you go into kitchen, esp. at night, you'd see them running around the fridge, walls, cupboard, sink, should I continue? Tongue We stepped them, killed them but they wouldn't end. I rmbr some middle size roach got inside the kettle & I tasted I got sth. alien in mouth - get it out, see it's bitten to trash roach. Suffice to say, since that time I checked the cup before drinking. It's the case of many yrs ago. They eventually disappeared, am told. But anyway, bottom line is they don't necessarily infest the house due to bad housekeeping, dirt etc.

Happy sunday, Buckethead! :D Back to insignificant chat - what do you do at free time? Snowboarding? Knitting? Skateboarding? Yogaing? Picking berries & mushrooms? Gardening? Playing bridge/ twister/ domino/ cards/ chess?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 04:43:29 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2018, 10:04:34 AM »

So true about roaches. I live in a row house (many attached to each other), and have heard of very fastidious housekeepers having to deal with roaches. Another example of infestations happening, regardless of cleanliness, is bed bugs. The insecticide that kills them easily was banned years ago, so this is now a problem in the USA. Bed bugs are "hitchhikers" that hop on someone's coat, pant leg, or purse, even get into a suitcase in a hotel and are carried into a person's home. They are very difficult to get rid of. I know - it happened to me. Most people have to pay for a very expensive high-heat treatment of mattresses, rugs, furniture, just about everything. Clothes and curtains must be  washed in the hottest water, everything kept separated from everything else to avoid cross-contamination. I washed everything I could in hot water, but could not afford a professional. I did some research and learned that diatomaceous earth kills the little buggers. It is a whitish powder made from the dried-out stuff found at the bottom of dry riverbeds. Some farmers use it with their farm animals, so it was safe around the kitties. I put DE EVERYWHERE (a mess), and within two days the bugs were all dead.

Of the activities you listed, I hate all of them except picking berries! My free time is spent planning lessons and finding cool stuff to inspire my reluctant students. On Monday, we will project a camp fire on the white board and sit on a blanket reading a scary story, using clues in the text to figure out unfamiliar words. If they cooperate, we will eat something called s'mores, a popular camp fire treat made with roasted marshmallows and softened milk chocolate between two pieces of graham crackers. I also love to read. I'm the weird lady reading a book as I wait in line at the grocery store. Swimming is something I like to do every day in the summer, and I enjoy walking in nature the rest of the year. I used to love to travel, but cannot afford to anymore. other than all of this, I especially like to spend time at the beach, a 2-3 hour drive, depending on where I go. What do you enjoy?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2018, 05:10:16 AM »

You, cool teacher, you. 3D We didn't do goosebump reading by campfire with teacher.
I'd been introduced to "bed bugs" via 1955 film "Night Of Hunter" with silent film actress, the great Lillian Gish & Robert Mitchum. The main kids say before going to sleep "Don't let the bed bugs bite". Lillian really shines as cool old lady who points gun at villain Mitchum. She said many cool lines.
I chat by email, play air hockey (big favorite game), read now & then, walk few kilometers with/ without cat in the basket, little skateboarding (barring uber-cool tricks), fishing, watch horror/ suspense films (in total darkness & silence ofc).
Smb. in the Internet theorised that chaps could fit to be child-bearers. They said it could be done by cutting the belly, doctors get the child out. They as well said chap would easier deal with pain/ side effects during 9 months than woman. Do you agree with this Internet theorist? It's at least interesting. Maybe they're inspired by film with Schwarzenegger playing would-be mother.

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2018, 06:49:08 PM »

We just sat in rows and read, 'Dick, Dick, Dick"out loud until our next turn.

I'd like to see that film. I've never seen Lillian Gish in a "talkie."

That is SO cool to take walks with your cat in a basket! Is this a Russian tradition? I once read a book called The Midwife's ApprenticeIt is about an orphan who survives by helping to deliver babies. She had a kittie who went everywhere she went. I walked with her and sometimes traveled in her bag.

Where do you fish, in a local river or lake?

Does watching horror films without the sound make them scarier? I'll have to try that sometime.

I don't believe that men would deal better than women with pregnancy and childbirth. (I say this as someone who had a miserable twin pregnancy, then endured the pain of recovering from having my belly sliced open to have them. I then had a medication-free back labor for 24 hours with my third son, don't know which was worse.) That was a funny movie, though.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2018, 04:14:31 PM »

It's good film. You'll like. Btw, if you say you didn't see Lillian Gish in talkie, does it mean you'd seen in silents? Which is favorite? Lillian's younger sister isn't as pretty, yet weirdly *she* played the pretty girl chaps like in the silents.

Walking with cat isn't Russian tradition. If cat says he'd like to walk today, I get his basket, cat jumps to it & we walk.

We got river with many fish.

Horrors without sound? Shirley you jest. Take 2 - I see them in total darkness & silence. As in - when it's dark around & silent around.

Let's discuss paintings. Many cite works by Van Gogh, Picasso, various banal generic choices. Can you list favorite obscure paintings?

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2018, 12:24:23 PM »

Just to chime in - I can't imagine being able to take any of my kitties on a walk . They would jump out of the basket . You must have started doing that when it was a kitten? Sweet that your kitty let's you know when it's time to take a walk.

Lillian Gish was one of the very few actresses who were able to make the transition from silent  films to talkies. Many years ago I was able at our university to see loads of classic silent films. Chaplin, Harold Lloyd, Buster Keaton, and Lillian Gish. For Gish I saw Broken Blossoms, Way Down East and Orphans of the Storm. Later on I saw her in the infamous 1915 film Birth of a Nation.
Broken Blossoms is by far my favorite of those films. Very sad but beautiful movie.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 12:32:49 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2018, 05:45:00 PM »

I didn't - cat walks began recently, when he was 4 yrs old. About that time I bought pair of baskets - walking & sleeping. Cat likes walking that way, carried in the basket. He looks around in the streets but stays put, doesn't run away. He likes comfort, you know. Basket to him is like driving in lincoln. I'm chauffeur.

Mary Pickford & Lillian Gish - my favorite silent actors. Btw, you're right to say that Lillian succeeded in going to sound pictures. Did you see the silents in university for free? Which is your biggest favorite silent film?

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2018, 06:43:05 PM »

You are a chauffeur for your cat? Do funny!  Grin

Yes, at the University students got to see movies for free. Got to see all sorts of classic movies I never saw before.

I can't pick a favorite silent film. The best I can do is pick my favorite from the actors:
Lillian Gish - Broken Blossoms
Charlie Chaplin - City Lights. A very close second would be his short, Shoulder Arms.
Harold Lloyd - Safety Last
Buster Keaton - Sherlock, Jr.

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2018, 07:54:26 PM »

It's good university, lets students use services for free. Thumbs up.

What's "Sherlock, Jr." about? Is it detective?

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 26, 2018, 04:57:06 AM »

It's good university, lets students use services for free. Thumbs up.

What's "Sherlock, Jr." about? Is it detective?

I think you would like it. Keaton plays a film projectionist. The "Sherlock" part is when he falls asleep and dreams that he goes into one of the films he"s showing, a detective film. There's a lot of film tricks in it.

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 26, 2018, 04:29:35 PM »

NOLA BB Fan and RRA!-

I could never imagine my kitties tolerating a basket. Yours is special! I've only seen Gish in Birth of a Nation.

RRA1 - As far as paintings are concerned, I'm afraid I have no particular inclinations. I seen some I like in antique sores and yard sales as much as in museums. When I see something that is famous and acclaimed, I find it interesting for that reason, but that is it.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 26, 2018, 06:02:57 PM »

2 random observations:
1. Everybody in English-speaking sites writes the Internet lowercase. We type it uppercase. Even Russian wiki page for the Internet says officially it must be written uppercase. I believe it's the right way to write it. Yet you, folks, type it lowercase. Why?
2. Discussing in Movies thread & elsewhere at Smiley, Imdb boards, people use "movie" & nearly never "film". Again, why not? What's the difference? It's like people really scared to say "film". I must find out.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 26, 2018, 06:10:51 PM »

I can speak to both.

1. Internet has been one of those words that different stylebooks treat differently. But AP and New York Times--two of the most prominent English language stylebooks--both switched from capitalized to lowercase within the past couple of years. The way I understand the history, it had been capitalized to denote one specific internet (thus the proper noun Internet), but since it over time became the only internet, it wasn't necessary that it be identified as a proper noun anymore.

2. My own particular viewpoint: snobbery. Film in America has connotations of being serious. Movie is casual. So one finds people who want to impress, or people talking about the form as "art" rather than "entertainment," often say film. People who don't want to be seen that way probably will say movie.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2018, 04:24:41 PM »

So true, Captain, about the '"film" vs. "movie" issue.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: