-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:16:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Sandbox thread for insignificant chit-chat
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sandbox thread for insignificant chit-chat  (Read 108314 times)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2018, 03:19:06 PM »

- Did anybody taste pitahaya, rambutan, loquats? In any travels you travelled, folks? These fruits or what pictured & captioned in copy-books. Didn't see & hear about them before.

Down where I live there are lots of loquat trees. We call them by the name "Japanese Plum". I had a big one in the front of my house before a hurricane destroyed it. Every March the neighborhood kids would take their pick of the fruit. The birds liked them as well.

Oh I'm definitely a "moon" person. I love watching the various phases.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 03:25:20 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
KDS
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2018, 07:04:59 AM »

- the eternal question "Sun or moon?" - without hesitation, sun.

- astrology is rubbish. Stars influence people's characters, my foot.

Sun, no question.   One of the reasons that summer is my favorite type of year is due to the long summer days.   

I agree that astrology is rubbish, and don't put any stock in the stars or the signs of the zodiac. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2018, 04:52:34 PM »

What's the perfect pizza to you, good folks? I'd like it if it was tomato-free, melted cheese-free, salami-free.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2018, 06:22:23 PM »

What's the perfect pizza to you, good folks? I'd like it if it was tomato-free, melted cheese-free, salami-free.

I like a minimum of cheese - certain cheeses don't agree with me and can sometimes make me quite sick. I also can do without meats.
I love lots of vegetables in my pizza - mushrooms, onions, green peppers, black olives, a bit of spinach.
I'm not a big fan of tomato sauce so can do without that. However, I had a slice of pizza today topped with various veggies and sun dried tomatoes that was absolutely delicious.

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2018, 05:45:45 AM »

Thanks to mention onions - it's the worst bit in addition to tomatoes, cheese, salami. Best thing in pizza to me is pickles & meat (mutton, beef).
Mushroom fan here as well but it loses its taste when at pizza. Ditto black olives.
Here, food shops sell pizza topped with ketchup & mayonnaise mixture. Neat, ha. Tongue
Being long-time cook, can you tell if anything else besides cheese can glue things in pizza?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2018, 08:13:08 AM »

Yes, you had told me earlier how much you love onions ;-)   But I cannot tell a lie - I love onions on everything. How much depends on how much interaction I'll have with people afterwards lol.
Pickles on pizza? That's a new one on me. Is that common over there?  Mutton - is there a tangy sauce with that (I love gyros).
And ketchup / mayonnaise on pizza? Can't imagine. However, that combo is popular in parts of the US for other things including being served with French fries. Down here a bit of lemon juice and horseradish would be added as a dipping sauce for boiled seafood.

With my nieces and nephews, they like to order a "Hawaiian" pizza, which has ham and pineapple.

Don't know how to bind everything together without cheese. Will have to look into that.
There are vegan cheeses available (known as cheeze), made from soybeans, rice, cashews and other things. Some are okay, others positively vile.

Now I'm hungry.  Smiley

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2018, 10:23:44 PM »

But I cannot tell a lie - I love onions on everything. How much depends on how much interaction I'll have with people afterwards
Can't you just chew the gum &/ or spray the mouth inside? I read that this is what chaps do but I think it can be done by everybody if they eat sth. with bad fragrance like onions, garlic etc.

Pickles on pizza? That's a new one on me. Is that common over there?
Yes, very. Pickles give pizza unique taste & better (verb) the main pizza taste. That said, I'd like to taste the real deal - Italian pizza. I read they sell so-called Italian pizzas in New York/City, since this is state inhabited by Italians. I really doubt it. I think best way to get the bite of real Italian pizza, you must fly to Italy.
What's "tangy" in phrase "tangy sauce"? Is it joke - pineapple in pizza? They should add plums then, to get better stomach work.

KDS
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2018, 05:33:32 AM »

I've had pizza with BBQ sauce or ranch dressing as the sauce, and those were pretty good.   But, pizza without cheese is just not pizza IMO. 
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2018, 07:00:32 AM »

But I cannot tell a lie - I love onions on everything. How much depends on how much interaction I'll have with people afterwards
Can't you just chew the gum &/ or spray the mouth inside? I read that this is what chaps do but I think it can be done by everybody if they eat sth. with bad fragrance like onions, garlic etc.

I do use breath mints, popping a bunch in my mouth hoping that will do the trick

Pickles on pizza? That's a new one on me. Is that common over there?
Yes, very. Pickles give pizza unique taste & better (verb) the main pizza taste. That said, I'd like to taste the real deal - Italian pizza. I read they sell so-called Italian pizzas in New York/City, since this is state inhabited by Italians. I really doubt it. I think best way to get the bite of real Italian pizza, you must fly to Italy.
What's "tangy" in phrase "tangy sauce"? Is it joke - pineapple in pizza? They should add plums then, to get better stomach work.

Tangy is a strong taste in foods containing yogurt, vinegar, pickles etc .
New York is known for its thin crust pizzas, and that is how they are made in Italy. However, the toppings are quite different. Authentic Italian pizzas are very simple with just a few ingredients.
Ooh, plums in pizza? Dried plums are prunes - yes that would make for "better stomach work"!
  Grin

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2018, 04:00:44 PM »

I've had pizza with BBQ sauce or ranch dressing as the sauce, and those were pretty good.   But, pizza without cheese is just not pizza IMO. 
No, list the ingredients summing perfect pizza for you.

Authentic Italian pizzas are very simple with just a few ingredients.
Precisely.

Ooh, plums in pizza?
The point is, if pizza can be cooked with pineapple, the other fruits should be up there too.

KDS
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2018, 06:11:57 AM »

No, list the ingredients summing perfect pizza for you.

Authentic Italian pizzas are very simple with just a few ingredients.
Precisely.

Ooh, plums in pizza?
The point is, if pizza can be cooked with pineapple, the other fruits should be up there too.

Perfect pizza

New York style

Extra cheese

tomato sauce

Pepperoni

Sausage

Nothing special or too fancy.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2018, 02:36:18 PM »

In BBC film "Miss Marple: Murder Is Announced", there's cafe scene with Ms. Marple & her distant niece Mrs. Harmon, the vicar's wife, discussing who arrived to see the murder "game" last night. Mrs. Harmon named people. Ms. Marple hinted she forgot smb. Mrs. Harmon tried to figure who, then rmbr & said gleefully:

- Julia!
- That's right. Julia, yes.
- Julia. Pretty Julia is peculiar. (smiles)

[Sullen waitress suddenly gives voice at their table]

- 3 & 6. And I'm not a peculiar, Mrs. Harmon. I've always been good C of E.
- Oh, I'm so sorry. I was just quoting an old song. I didn't know your name was Julia.
- No offence, I'm sure. (still said with sullen face)

"C of E" is what subtitles read, they can be misleading. I checked it, "cov", "c.o.v.", "ceo v" in google, it didn't help. Is it sth. to do with cafe work? Can anybody tell what this waitress meant?
Additionally checked the lyrics "pretty julia is peculiar" - again, fruitless. It being British film, set in 1940s-50s, the song is "old", it should be 1900-1920s British song. Could it be fictional song Agatha made up to fit the rhyme? Does it indeed exist? Few nagging questions.

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2018, 04:28:37 PM »

Hi, RRA1! I haven't had time to visit lately, as I've just started a new job. C of E, in this context, means Church of England. So "good C of E" means something like a faithful follower.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2018, 07:35:14 PM »

I found two songs written around the early 1900s referring to Peculiar Julia.

One has a refrain that starts as follows:
 "Julia, you're peculiar, Julia, you are queer,
Truly you're unruly as a wild western steer..."
And it doesn't get any better. I've never known women to be compared to steers. I have heard women referred to as "heifers" however.
I 'd tell that guy, "Don't let the back door hit ya on the way out, cowboy!" lol.

The other song sounds like a typical dance hall song.
 "Ye gods only know how I loved Miss Julia, there was something about her so very peculiar ."
 After several verses of the guy wining and dining her for several years, Julia announces that she's marrying another. Very peculiar indeed!

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2018, 05:34:54 AM »

Hello, Buckethead. Happy work in new place. Thanks to both you & NBBF. That film is rife with great dialogs.

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2018, 01:07:48 PM »

RRA1 - Thank you for the positivity!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2018, 07:55:58 AM »

I couldn't figure what precisely makes young actress Elle Fanning jolly pretty. But google recently brought to my attn great picture with her - she's got the prettiest-shaped lips in any woman I'd seen, both irl & film/ music world. When she smiles, even better. In compare, Dakota, which I gather is her relative (cousin? sister?), is plain jane.

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2018, 10:19:55 AM »

Elle is Dakota's little sister. I think that they are both very pretty, although I sometimes get very confused as to why some actresses/models are deemed beautiful. Great managers/publicists? For example, if Giselle Bundchen and Sarah Jessica Parker are deserving of the title, heck, so am I!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2018, 05:42:05 PM »

I'm sure you're pretty, Buckethead. Smiley
Actually, am here to ask you - do you, when you go to concert, sit or stand? There's thread with people discussing sitting vs. standing. Smb. said they sit to pay respect to people sitting behind, that they don't block the view. The others said they stand during whole thing, to dance, get fun. What you're like?
Btw, whilst we're at it - thing that REALLY weirds me out is when chap sits girl in his shoulders. She sits there like pro, doesn't seem to be scared she'll fall. But what's weirder, guy just stands like that start to finish, willing to tolerate such heavy weight in the shoulders. Question is - why? It's not obligation. & how can he do it? Everytime I see it, it just doesn't make sense. It's crazy.

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2018, 04:55:56 AM »

I'm pretty enough, but that's all. My family and people who have known me since childhood comment on how much Princess Charlotte looks like me as a child - there is a striking resemblance in terms of face shape, eyes, nose, hair texture, coloring, etc. 

When I go to a concert, I sit unless there is space in the aisles to stand/dance or it is an outdoor venue where there is room to be up and not block anyone's view. Otherwise, I only get up if everyone else is standing, usually for the last few songs. After all, people pay a lot of money to see, not just hear, their band.

I don't understand the girl sitting on a guy's shoulders for a concert. It is, IMO, something that is done for a child who cannot otherwise see or needs to be kept close and safe in a crowd. Honestly, when a teenage girl or woman does this, it seems sexual to me, like, "Look! My crotch is on his neck! He is strong and masculine! OOOH!" Or, "Look at me! I'm a hunky guy who has her crotch on my neck!"
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2018, 05:01:56 AM »

RRA1 - I am continuing my study of Russian history, but cannot seem to find a consistent pronunciation for Tsarskoe Selo. How do you say it?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2018, 05:20:27 AM »

TSAR-sko-yeah  cell-OH.
I'll look up Princess Charlotte. Dunno who is she. I agree that kid in shoulders makes sense. Thing about guys standing with girls at shoulders is why they do it? Why the need to be so helpful to girls? OK, they date, he likes girl but so what? Doesn't mean they must help each other in everything. If it's inconvenient to carry that weight, stand thru the whole thing with her in shoulders, don't do it. Easy.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2018, 05:44:08 AM »

Btw, Buckethead, asked you the same question as KDS in Movie thread, Reply #886. In case you didn't see it.

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2018, 08:31:41 AM »

Thanks for the pronunciation. I was thinking TSAR-skow SEEL-oh. Now I won't be embarrasses if I have a face-to-face conversation with an expert on Russian history.

Princess Charlotte is Great Britain's Queen Elizabeth II's great-granddaughter, daughter of her grandson Prince William, heir to the throne. In the US, the press is obsessed with British Royalty lately. This, despite that pesky American Revolution to leave monarchy behind.

I answered your question about the movie.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2018, 08:15:33 PM »

Well that's Russian language for ya. English pronunciation rules don't apply to it.

Charlotte must be still "wee bannock" now.

Song question - which songs you really like by 1) Bacharach 2) Mann-Weil 3) Goffin-King 4) Barry-Greenwich 5) F. Bryant-B. Bryant. Single song each.

Buckethead, following rant isn't directed at you, look away :D :

Just read PS in long time; looks like poster brucesshorts/ Pinder Goes To Kokomo doesn't really enjoy talking BBs, he likes to argue & chimes in just to bring the same points in Mike vs. Brian threads. Yet his latest post mentions "pathology". Weiiiird. Btw, he's been like that here at Smiley too. Never posted in BBs music threads to share his views. But everytime posters would discuss Mike, esp. negatively which they've got right to if sth. Mike does they don't approve, he'd start actively posting. Every long-time poster will agree about it. You, folks, know this poster.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 12:05:57 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: