-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:02:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Sandbox thread for insignificant chit-chat
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sandbox thread for insignificant chit-chat  (Read 107991 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: September 24, 2018, 12:52:33 AM »

I think it was all a misunderstanding back then, too. I think certain phrasing and "bluntness"(as NOLA BB Fan put it) of one culture, while well meaning, can translate differently in another culture and language. Perhaps people didn't pay attention to that ffact because of agd being here, and wanting to side with him.
Well. Too bad this realization is everytime after the fact. Hope the times are a-changing, as Dylan whose voice I can't stand aptly said.

Precisely, lotsa people & then some followed agd, looked forward to everything he said - what is he, saint? Father figure? Santa Claus? BBs mesage board idol? I rmbr lame poster kittykat really showed worship for ay-gee-dee. It amuses me still, haha. Such dork. Never liked that poster. Let's be happy that she or he's banned. Wise decision, mods.

Anyhoo, we're cool.

Btw, this next thing isn't directed to Billy/ Jay/ anybody but in case readers missed it, in Reply #213 is good well-written reasonable & especially logical edit, complete with thread post example.

==========================================
To continue bringing views in this insignificant thread. Edit: views as in opinions ofc. No stupid moronic "rocky pamplin 100,000 views" braggety gobbledygook. Anyhoo, I dislike cussing. When at times people irl start cussing, I jolly dislike it. They must be polite with strangers. They should use it in reply to buddies at the table or girl/ boyfriend or relatives, I don't care. With strangers, if they speak politely with you, you must be polite in return. Or else there'll never be maintained civil society. People must understand it by now.

Sure, it isn't technically cussing but it sounds like it - the 3-letter s-word & its derivatives. The s-word meaning the same as "gender". People seem to freely use it in English-speaking places, yet nobody's got any problem with it. It doesn't make sense it's deemed acceptable & nobody assumes if anybody uses it in ANY context, just any, that that individual is vulgar. I find it little bit too easy-going attitude towards such people. But maybe it's me & few people who look at it like that.

I'm not sure why I write down these things. The single explanation is I like the process of writing/ typing. Maybe I should be writer. & I like discussing.

Anybody look fwd to winter? I def. do. Many hate blizzard & feel depressed about it. I believe halblaineisgood said sth. along the lines at PS. Me, I really like blizzard. It's cozy to sit in the house whilst outdoors it's heavily snowing. Isn't it instead cool? & unpopular opinion time, I like shoveling snow. I shoveled it since about 10 yrs old. Speaking of, said it before, will say again - the noise in "Wake The World" that fans say they hear is venetian blinds everytime sounds to me like snow shovel.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 05:14:55 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 24, 2018, 06:59:52 AM »

Re winter: I have very mixed feelings, but overall I don’t mind it. I’m usually ready for cooler temperatures by the time autumn comes around. Once “cooler” becomes “cold,” it’s also not so bad. I love staying indoors and reading, drinking hot coffee or tea (or a hot alcoholic drink), and just generally feeling cozy. This is especially fun with the dogs. And usually I find cold air invigorating.

But on the negative side, while I don’t mind shoveling if it’s just a couple of inches, once it gets up to (or above) 6 inches at a time, that gets pretty tedious, especially in the driveway. I have been thinking of buying a snowblower this year, actually. Also as winter wears on and snow piles up, driving becomes more unsafe and unpleasant: piles of snow move out from the boulevards into the streets, making them narrower. It’s also tedious to get bundled up to go anywhere, not to mention messy when you’re covered in snow or (on warmer days) slush. It is also a shame to be unable to sit outside in my yard, which I enjoy doing very much. The dark also gets to be hard to deal with: in winter I rarely see the sun during the week, as it is dark when I leave in the morning for work and dark before I leave work.

I try to focus on the parts I like and just deal with the parts I don’t. Usually that works OK until February or March, when winter begins to feel like a personal insult. But really I think that living where I live, if I REALLY hated winter, I would have to move. It’s insane for people to choose to live here and then complain about winter, since obviously it comes with the territory.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 07:02:39 AM by the captain » Logged

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 24, 2018, 05:58:53 PM »

It's 1st time when I see smb. using "invigorating" in relation to cold weather (well air, it's basically the same). I surveyed people here, FB & random street people - surveying is sth. I like to do - & everybody unanimously said they feel hibernated, slow, like zombie when it's cold. For the record, I hate summer.
Living with pets is fun & funny. They cheer up the mood.
Is it light in summer in MN? F.ex. in some locations in Russia, including St. Petersburg, there's white nights.
In Welcome thread, thorgil, NOLA BB Fan et al said that when driving car, various small animals can jump to road & NBBF said she tries not to step them with car tyres. Is there such animals to be seen in the driveway in MN? Do you too save them lives when they run/ jump?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 24, 2018, 07:22:08 PM »

When I'm at our country place in the woods during winter, provided that I'm wearing suitable clothes, brisk walks can indeed be invigorating.But I hate being cold indoors.
I love snow but don't like it if it snows down here. A few snowflakes put the locals in "panic mode" even though most times the air temperature is above freezing so the snow doesn't stick.
Today I had to dodge a little turtle trying to cross an interstate (four lane highway). I also had to make sure not to hit a squirrel. They have a habit of running almost completely across the street, stopping, then turning around and going back where it came from. So I had to stop while it decided where to go. I only started driving again when it was completely off the road.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 07:26:42 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 24, 2018, 07:40:26 PM »

Sure. Merely say people in surveys answering general question didn't say anything positive about it.
I like snow fall in the evening & it's starry sky. It's been childhood dream to acquire telescope to see big stars, their structure but they don't sell it here, I don't believe online shopping, what with charlatans & crooks. That said, no big deal. Besides, living isn't about dreams getting real. Say, if any dream doesn't realize - it's cool.
About hating cold in the house: didn't you say that your house is very stuffy you brought the air conditioner? I figured in the U.S. central heating works whole year. Is it not right?

Tasted recently dish I didn't b4 - restaurant specialty expensive mushroom called truffle. To tell the truth, it isn't bad but imo it isn't especially unique to pay big money to taste it. Would like to taste special dessert fried ice cream.

Why double-breasted costume is dubbed like it? I fail to see the link. Double-buttoned fits better.

When I read blogs, many in "About blogger" page tell that they study, studied creative writing. Is it necessity to study it or sth. pupils can select or don't? What kind of subject it is?

Should say I'm mainly question asker than answerer. Which is good. Thus next question - anybody wishes to live by the sea, as well as ocean, shore? Or live in special houses-boats or special houses standing in, surrounded by water?

In sides of Russia, summer day continues 24 hours, i.e. it's light even in twilight. It's not dark-esque as in usual twilight. Winter day is 9 am-3 pm (we don't divide it am/ pm, 3 would be 15 o'clock).

Is there such thing as louisianian/ minnesotan accent? Judging by listening to singers/ actors in films born/ raised in these states, there isn't any. Well maybe French accent in New Orleans some got. But definitely didn't detect anything in the way Minnesotans speak. To my ears, it's neutral typical American accent, with maybe less aggression in phrasing words, telling consonant sounds. Is it right?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 11:57:27 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: September 24, 2018, 08:05:55 PM »

I actually do not like summer at all any more....living in Houston, well, the humidity is horrible, and the bad part about the heat is people LOVE cranking the air conditioning down to sub zero temps. I love the cold, but not inside...I like it outside. The older I get the less I'm able to handle the heat, and that was before my health went to sh*t.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 24, 2018, 08:06:55 PM »

Is it light in summer in MN? F.ex. in some locations in Russia, including St. Petersburg, there's white nights.
In Welcome thread, thorgil, NOLA BB Fan et al said that when driving car, various small animals can jump to road & NBBF said she tries not to step them with car tyres. Is there such animals to be seen in the driveway in MN? Do you too save them lives when they run/ jump?
We’re not far enough north for the near-full light in summer or dark in winter, though we do have pretty wide swings. I’d guess in summer our longest days are from maybe 5 am to 930 pm, while in winter they are as short as about 730 or 8 am to 4 or 430 pm.

Animals in the roads: it depends where you are. In the city you’re usually not going to see much besides squirrels, rabbits, cats, and dogs—though we occasionally see raccoons around, or even larger, obviously confused wildlife. Once you’re into the country, especially in the north woods but also fields, you can see deer, bears, wild turkeys, moose. Or ducks etc. I try to avoid hitting them but don’t go out of my way to help them either: I generally leave wildlife alone.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 25, 2018, 04:56:02 AM »

To answer some questions:
There aren't the restrictions in the US concerning turning on the heat as there are in some other countries. If I wanted to I could put it on in the summer. And I can set it to whatever temperature I want. Of course, since you are using more power, you will have a higher bill to pay.

Don't think I've had mushroom truffles. Have had chocolate truffles and they were good.

Creative writing classes are available. I know people who are into writing fiction or poetry. They meet up with other writers to show their work and receive (hopefully) constructive criticism and encouragement.

I love the sea but wouldn't like to live by there . Too many hurricanes :-(

I'll come back later about accents. Let's just say that we New Orleanians cringe when we watch TV shows or movies set in our city.

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 25, 2018, 05:21:42 AM »

Accents: Minnesota is relatively neutral, but especially in rural areas or among older people there is something, a kind of exaggeration and perversion of certain vowels. It’s hard to explain but I’ll try to spell out.

Cute instead of kyoot might be kyoo-ut.

A in many words is almost abrasive, more like the a in cat than the ah it is sometimes properly meant to be. Also sometimes made into two syllables like above with “cute.”

There is also something about the letter o that is hard to explain. I’d say it is more closed-mouth, like not fully pronounced, stilted, which makes it less of oh and more like a combined, fast oooh and uh. (Sorry I can’t explain that.)

I believe it comes from lingering Scandinavian and German accents that evolved.

The movie Fargo is meant to portray it but as NOla BB Fan said of Louisiana accents, Minnesotans don’t think it sounds accurate. (It is a good caricature of it though.)

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 25, 2018, 06:16:05 AM »

Back to accents.
Native New Orleanians don't speak with a French accent. I've noticed 2 different accents here. The uptown crowd has an almost Southern accent. They pronounce our city "Noo Oryeeanz".
We downtowners have variations on what is close to "Brooklynese", a New York accent. They pronounce the city "Noo Awlins". In the extreme, words with "oi" are pronounced "er." Thus, erl , terlet, etc instead of oil or toilet. Or "wrench your hands in the zink" - rinse your hands in the sink.
The theory about our accent is that it's due to the large number of Irish and Italian immigrants who came here.

There are other accents in Louisiana. In North and South (rural areas) there are different types of Southern accents. In South central and southwest Louisiana one can hear the Cajun accent.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 25, 2018, 06:59:11 AM »

American accents is subject I'm as Americana fan interested in. Didn't see that film "Fargo", going by description, it's dull. I'm glad to read I'm right about minnesotan accent being neutral. My hearing is fine then.

I read about New York accent being funny but didn't know it borders with absurd. Erl? Zink?

Edit - Nobody chimes due to reason it's dull. Bottom line: Interesting talks, everybody.

Reading past threads in various subboards I see people who never before used cursive wrt album titles, weirdly started to do exactly that. F.ex. c-man, Emdeeh, feelsflow when used to post here & few pretty popular posters. This "shift" phenomenon really puzzles. There must be plausible explanation to it. If they got used to just typing the title, why now they make it look neat, as in like it "should" be? It's just message board, why copy what different posters use? It doesn't make sense.

"Strawberry Fields Forever" is dullest song in Beatles canon. Ha, yes I said it. &? You got problem, folks? Hello.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 07:01:47 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 26, 2018, 06:34:16 PM »

I had already left when you wrote the post. When I got home I posted quickly about Graceland but didn't feel well and went to bed early.
There are of course French immigrants living here. Some of them teach at French immersion schools, where courses are taught in French . However the natives who are fluent in French from birth are dying out.
French immigrants are also teaching students in Cajun country west of New Orleans. Although they have the distinctive accent many can no longer speak French . For many years teachers punished students who spoke Cajun French instead of English in school. The powers that be realize, perhaps too late, that they were wrong to do that.

Homeland is funny here. Somebody could have been here 30 years or more, coming over as a young child , and still would not be considered to be a New Orleanian.

Don't know why people write titles in cursive. Didn't know you could do that on this board, but I never really checked all the features available. Maybe they are writing in cursive as a protest to all the schools where cursive is no longer taught. Have no idea.
Can't go anymore. Am totally wasted. Need a good nights sleep
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 06:39:35 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 25, 2019, 01:51:54 AM »

Not much to say really--except that this criminally neglected topic deserves resurrecting for, um, insignificant chit-chat. Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 08, 2019, 06:42:09 AM »

Dog fans unite, you may find this vid funny/ sweet: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EVwlMVYqMu4 (2 dogs, 4 human hands)

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 08, 2019, 11:17:35 AM »

Well behaved pups. Our dog, BooBoo, would not have been that patient!

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: May 09, 2019, 06:35:37 AM »

I love all things related to History. I've been listening to podcasts of University professors giving lectures to students on American History.
We're coming up to the 170th anniversary of a significant event I confess to not knowing anything about until a couple of days ago. On 10 May, 1849 the "Astor Place Riot" took place in New York City.
During the 1840s there was a movement to try to get Americans to be more "sophisticated."
 to make a very complicated story short, Shakespeare was to be performed at two venues in New York City, one starring an American actor and the other, an English actor . The fans for the American showed their displeasure by going to Astor Place and protesting . It got so bad that law enforcement was called . When things really started getting out of hand the police fired into the crowd, killing at least 22 civilians! Over Shakespeare!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 06:36:56 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 09, 2019, 12:56:47 PM »

I love all things related to History. I've been listening to podcasts of University professors giving lectures to students on American History.
We're coming up to the 170th anniversary of a significant event I confess to not knowing anything about until a couple of days ago. On 10 May, 1849 the "Astor Place Riot" took place in New York City.
During the 1840s there was a movement to try to get Americans to be more "sophisticated."
 to make a very complicated story short, Shakespeare was to be performed at two venues in New York City, one starring an American actor and the other, an English actor . The fans for the American showed their displeasure by going to Astor Place and protesting . It got so bad that law enforcement was called . When things really started getting out of hand the police fired into the crowd, killing at least 22 civilians! Over Shakespeare!

Thanks for sharing, NBBF. I hadn't been aware of this either.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 25, 2019, 05:23:02 AM »

7 cool quotes by cool peeps in blogs & sites. Random wisdom edition:
"Frugal people can bring pop stir into solar food"
"Boss ain't no chief"
"Princess Barbie made BBQ at Ken's Bratzday party"
"Choc-latte isn't black - it's fruitful color"
"Garlic, stand back, you're too distinct, brother. You don't overpower the Onion"
"Chew the ears!"
"It's sunny chill zoom"

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 25, 2019, 07:37:26 AM »

7 cool quotes by cool peeps in blogs & sites. Random wisdom edition:
"Garlic, stand back, you're too distinct, brother. You don't overpower the Onion"

Whoever wrote that doesn't live in my city. You can never have too much garlic! :-)

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 25, 2019, 07:44:59 AM »

(Courtesy Analytical Grammar/Grammar Planet, 24 May 2019)

Why is English so fun? "All the faith he had had had had no effect on the outcome of his life" makes sense .   Grin

Kudos to you RR1 for undergoing the arduous task of learning our crazy language

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 25, 2019, 06:48:27 PM »

English is the best language. Difficult to study. Frequently, shopping baskets get gifted to buyers. Baskin Robbins is nice if dull.
Btw, can you tell why English speakers don't use a/an when saying "it's poem [film, book] by American [British...] poet [writer]" or with "the" - "by the American author"? Yet, going to wiki pages, it says usual "An American writer [actress]". Why here a/an isn't used? Doesn't make sense.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 26, 2019, 11:23:35 AM »

That happens all the time. "American Joe Schmoe wins the 10k race."
 It's also okay to write, "An American, Joe Schmoe, won the 10k race."
 But the "why" or the "rule" is unknown to me. Sorry.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 26, 2019, 03:51:57 PM »

Maybe Buckethead/ smb. else can tell why English speakers do it whilst English grammar strictly says it must be a/an. It's as if English speakers being ignorant about their language grammar. Funny lot.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 13, 2019, 10:32:17 PM »

"Beautiful is ugly, thus ugly is ugly". Smb. in the 1920s.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 14, 2019, 10:18:56 AM »

New wisdoms' batch by 1920s-living people:
1) "Face the truth through common sense"
2) "People look beautiful in a mirror, without it they look ugly"
3) "Trees and paper can be equally useful"
4) "Today it's to play music, yesterday it's been different music"
5) "Who, who?"
6) "And junior senior"
7) "Do be fruitful each day, don't be fruitless like a fool"
8.) "Sun's bright, eat breakfast"

There's many else. Will edit to include (ETI) few new.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: