-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:35:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Sandbox thread for insignificant chit-chat
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sandbox thread for insignificant chit-chat  (Read 107995 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 08, 2018, 11:12:35 PM »

Why people speaking English when they're not sure use immediately this word - "probably"? Can't you say "maybe", "likely"? It's as if you lack vocabulary baggage.

Next question - Is it truth or mistruth that fast food is purely American invention?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 12:05:17 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 11, 2018, 11:43:54 PM »

Reading ancient topics, it doesn't still make sense the gleeful mem'ries about ego board. Rbb used to obsessively repeat that, if being at Smiley, you can stand it, in ego you couldn't. Or that Smiley in compare is very light, hinting in ego it's tough types who could survive. Yet, despite this not-really-good characteristics, people (ESPECIALLY Rbb) were really crazy about that dinosaur age board. There were trolls & such, silly threads yet... it's FUN! Somehow such behaviour/ posters/ threads weren't met with glee at Smiley. Somehow Rbb went strict about it here. Suffice to say, weird poster, weird ex-mod. True chameleon. Not sure why he got huuuge respect by posters (still does by some at PS). It amuses me to see people being lickspittles towards popular posters.

Can anybody answer to Reply #175? NBBF? Buckethead? The OP? Hello? Is anybody home?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 03:39:31 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 12, 2018, 04:06:27 PM »

John isn't favorite Beatle, am going to paraphrase what he sang in SFF (which I dislike too), sacrilege as it will be - "Brady Bunch" is best seen with eyes closed. Just memorize what the voices sound like & since they will voice the names. Each character isn't to my taste - mannerisms, looks, you name. In fact, I'd enjoy it as radio adaptation (adaption? which is correct?). Frankly, many movies I'd like better by radio/ audio.
"Partridge Fam" is little bit nicer. Little bit.
"An American Fam" didn't impress either. Except mother's pretty, daughter's - forgot which - eyecandy too.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 13, 2018, 03:23:33 AM »

I think George is my favorite Beatle now. Listened to All Things Must Pass last night. What a great album!
I was one of those strange teenagers who never watched The Brady Bunch or The Partridge Family. During the 70s I remember watching MASH, All in the Family, The Jeffersons, Mary Tyler Moore Show, Bob Newhart; sometimes watched The Waltons

It's "adaptation."

As for previous questions, probably and maybe aren't the same. Probably and likely are similar.

I don't think fast food is an American invention. I'm sure that at food markets around the world have always been people selling various breads with different toppings of meats and vegetables (such as gyros).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 03:28:27 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 13, 2018, 03:56:28 PM »

Probably & maybe aren't the same? Hm, let's bring examples:

Quentin decided to drive car but probably forgot the keys in the house.
Quentim decided to drive car but maybe forgot the keys in the house.

It doesn't seem like there's difference in either. But since you're natural English speaker, you surely see the difference. Can you explain reading the example? I'm interested to be able to see clearly the difference.

The next question is language as well - in many dictionaries it says "pretty" defines similar to "rather", yet it can define "very". Which is really puzzling. When English speakers say "it's pretty good" (food, song, taste, film, weather, house interior), what should I read it as - very good or rather good? TIA.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: September 13, 2018, 04:22:47 PM »

"Probably" means it is more likely than not. "Maybe" doesn't weigh in on the odds, it just indicates it could go either way.

Maybe it will rain today. (It might rain, it might not, but the speaker isn't indicating likelihood.)
Probably it will rain today. (It is more likely than not that it will rain today.)

"Pretty" in that context--"it's pretty good"--actually means somewhat, slightly. It's pretty good would indicate that it's not bad, it leans toward good, but it's not REALLY good. It's not great.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 13, 2018, 04:48:00 PM »

Re: "pretty", it leads to question - when people use it then to mean "very"? F.ex. if they say "I'm pretty sure", is it then? Anything else?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 13, 2018, 05:29:57 PM »

I'd say context matters, and social cues, nonverbal signals, regional traditions matter.

But even "I'm pretty sure," I look at that as less than sure. Sure is certain, 100%. Pretty sure is like the below.

"I'm sure of it." (100%)
"Really you're 100% certain?" (Suggests person is <100%, or at least wants confirmation of 100%)
"Well, I'm pretty sure of it." (Hedges the bet, indicates that while still more likely than not, less than 100% certain)

But it's easy to imagine someone answering "you're sure?" with a wink and a somewhat ironic "I'm pretty sure." This is the person technically allowing for doubt, but indicating that he totally believes it despite his own words. It is similar to someone who is a great basketball player might respond to "are you good?" with "I'm pretty good" or "I'm ok." Context could literally take meaning from all the way to one side to its opposite.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 13, 2018, 06:41:16 PM »

I see. It makes sense.

"Really you're 100% certain?" (Suggests person is <100%, or at least wants confirmation of 100%)
Funny bit.

Btw, re: "probably", reason I figured it's the same as "maybe" is precisely due to ubiquitous usage by people, going back to/ by the beginning point. People say "it's probably this", "probably that", it's really popular choice to use that word. Reading it, it makes you figure - well people usually doubt when saying sth., then it must be the same meaning as "maybe". I didn't think even that everybody would be sure about things they say, given the word's usage popularity. Thus "more likely than not" didn't appear as real meaning. It's being much surer than "maybe yes, maybe no" type thinking. It just seemed truer in regards people's usual nature.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 02:32:37 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 14, 2018, 09:33:43 AM »

A lot of common, throwaway responses and words when used don't actually mean what their words themselves indicate they mean. I can see why as a non-native English speaker those phrases or words would be difficult to understand.

Some other examples, when someone asks someone else, "how are you?" these are some common responses in my region of the country.

"Could be worse." On the surface, this only means it is possible that you could be worse--you are not as bad off as is possible. But really, it usually is used to mean "fine, good."

"Not too bad." The words themselves seem to mean "I am doing badly, but not TOO badly." In other words, you are doing badly but it is tolerable, it could be worse. But generally people say it to mean "fine, good."

"I've been better." The opposite of the first example, all this technically means is you are less than 100% ... but how much less? You might be at 99.9% happiness or satisfaction and that would be an honest answer. But when people say it, usually they actually mean "I am doing badly."

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 15, 2018, 05:15:33 AM »

Next question - can anybody tell why people speak it this way?:

Quote from: HeyJude
He should have sang more on C50

Quote from: Kurosawa
I think they should have broke up in 1977

Quote from: richardsnow
They should have gave George a little solo on the Rickie 12 string.

We'd been taught during English studies that the right way is have/has + past participle (ring-rang-rung, sing-sang-sung, break-broke-broken, give-gave-given etc). Did this grammar rule by chance change since then? Is it again state speech differences? Colloquialism which is as right as the said rule? No, it's incorrect, "people in the Internet use it" anomaly? Would like to set the record straight about it.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 12:40:11 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 15, 2018, 07:12:08 AM »

Boy you are multitasking big time!

You are absolutely right. Should be "have sung," " have broken up, " and "should have given."

Proper grammar is being thrown out the window, made worse thanks to social media.
It's quite painful reading posts when people type "you're" instead of "your," or " it's" when it should be "its."
 The spell check function also messes up words. I'm constantly having to override it.

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 15, 2018, 03:11:31 PM »

Cool, finally said sth. people replied with "you're right" after "borsch/t" debate, being told "people disagree with facts but, I have no patience for that" (yet same poster when the others disagreed with said fact in SB thread replied to them with much politer, patient way. Chocolate Shake, it's about you Tongue) & the others. Then I studied English well. Besides still finding "a/ an/ the" usage difficult subject (multiply "difficult" to 10). Ditto when use which preposition - should it be "at" or "in" or "on" or "for" or "by" or "to" or "with" etc. F.ex. I'd seen English speakers say "in school" & "at school", "compare with" & "compare to".

Next question - is it possible everybody if they trained, practiced singing daily would be technically good singers? When Soviet/ Ukrainian opera singer Bela Rudenko guested in some TV program due to 85 jubilee this year, smb. in the audience asked her similar question, she answered "No of course without naturally vocal talent to work with even if you try coaching smb. like that will not bring results, make them great singers. It'll stay in the "average", "mediocre" level". Do you agree with it?

To answer Rei's question in his OP in the 2-years-old thread without bumping it:

For whatever reason - be it getting used to how things are done on the forum, developing contradicting opinions to what you once held, joining too young where you lack the sufficient maturity to conform effectively, etc. - do you guys get a sense of embarrassment when you read through some of your earliest posts not only on this forum, but anywhere in general? Like a sense of Early Instalment Weirdness which seems nothing like what you post today.

I have to say I'm one of those who cringe at much of my early posts here. Many of these completely lacked substance, and indicated a large level of immaturity that could be understandably taken as trolling or spamming. It didn't help that my posting rate at one point can easily be considered insufferably high - quantity over quality. What embarrasses me the most though is the arrogance when it came some of the opinions I've held - had I been a bystander, I would have been extremely frustrated.

Anyway, how about you guys? Do you get that sense of embarrassment when you skim through your earliest posts?
Negative.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 12:43:33 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 15, 2018, 06:26:37 PM »

You can say either "in school" or "at school."
 However, when I say that someone is "in school" it could refer to taking courses . Jane is in school in order to become a nurse, for example.
Being "at school" means that the person is physically present on the campus.

I usually use "compare to", as in "that's like comparing apples to oranges."

I would agree that there's only so much that can be done for those wanting to sing well. Now this is for singing classical style music.
However, music is very subjective and oftentimes a rougher voice suits a particular song better. If the Beach Boys wanted a sweet sound, they used Carl. But if the song called for an "edgier" sound, Dennis would be the guy.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 06:28:37 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: September 15, 2018, 09:04:30 PM »

How can a building burn up and burn down at the same time?

Ever notice you park in a driveway and drive in a parkway?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 16, 2018, 01:02:20 AM »

You can say either "in school" or "at school."
However, when I say that someone is "in school" it could refer to taking courses . Jane is in school in order to become a nurse, for example.
Being "at school" means that the person is physically present on the campus.
Interesting. Thanks. Why people during Mardi-gras festival get super joyful? They celebrate this holiday big time, dressing specially, painting face in dumb way etc. When I'd seen people in the street holidaying it in streets in some doc, they really looked crazy, euphoric. It didn't make sense to see them behave like that, being too joyful.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 04:26:11 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 16, 2018, 07:02:17 AM »

Mardi Gras ( "Fat Tuesday") is the day before Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent in the Catholic church (and also observed in some Protestant denominations). Lent is a time for doing without , so Mardi Gras is the time to get all the craziness out of your system.
It gets out of hand in our French Quarter . The police let people get away with a lot of stuff - just don't try to "pee" in public!
I tell people with families to go to the parades in the Uptown area. Interesting costumes can be seen with a lot less lewdness.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 17, 2018, 04:31:30 AM »

People must behave politely in public. & dress politely, with respect to everybody else they see. Dreadful holiday Mardi gras. Then again, nearly each holiday is.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 17, 2018, 05:49:24 AM »

I wouldn’t call it a “dreadful holiday.” It can be wonderful fun. I love the creative costumes people come up with,particularly the ones that are homemade instead of bought or rented from a costume shop. Get a family, make some ears, paint some whiskers on their faces, fashion a tail to attach in the back, and they are cats for a day!  Cheesy
There’s also wonderful music played during this time.

Just avoid the one part of town where people (mainly tourists) go for the over the top bizarreness and you can have a great time.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 17, 2018, 06:33:18 AM »

I'm fine with your disagreement. I stand by things I said. If it didn't show you that I hate holidays ("Dreadful holiday Mardi gras. Then again, nearly each holiday is."), I'll say it again - I hate holidays.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 17, 2018, 06:57:55 AM »

I'm sorry that you are unable to enjoy holidays.
I know that they can be stressful if the Family members don't get along. And it's really a drag if you are not particularly happy when you are "supposed" to be. That happens to me at Christmastime. Don't know why...

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 17, 2018, 07:13:10 AM »

Me & fam get along just fine. Nobody likes me yet funnily friends & fam start inviting me to spend holidays with them. I decline each invitation. I like being alone. Tell you what, I do not cook anything special at holidays like the others. I cook what usually cook.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 17, 2018, 07:24:16 AM »

That’s cool.
I like being alone as well. But realize that there are times when I really want to be around family. Certain holidays are the only times I see some of my family who live out of town. We’ll have dinner and chat, but then I will go off for a while by myself.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 17, 2018, 08:49:31 AM »

Well I used to like holidays as child. & I like gifts (getting, not giving Tongue No but seriously, am really bad at making perfect gifts, i.e. just what people wish. It's jolly difficult task. I'd be terrible Santa if such creature existed).

Btw, Liz, which gift - Christmas or sth. else - do you regard the best gift given to you (talking about material tangible gift, not the abstract)?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 09:00:52 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 17, 2018, 10:06:33 AM »

Giving gifts is hard - want the gift to be “perfect. I’m listening all the time for clues. I had the perfect gift picked out for one of my sisters - a new Elvis book. Just found out she had just bought it! Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Favorite gift received? As a child it was my own bicycle. Being the fourth of five children (all girls) I usually got hand me downs. I had been riding an old tricycle. The handlebars kept coming off lol. I also had an old pair of roller skates - used a key to adjust it.
My shiny new blue bicycle had training wheels in the back. At some point my Father took them off and helped me get the balance right to ride the bicycle. I loved riding it.
As I grew up I got a larger bike but can’t remember if that might have been another hand me down. I rode that bike all over the place.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: