-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:22:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Sandbox thread for insignificant chit-chat
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sandbox thread for insignificant chit-chat  (Read 107987 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 24, 2018, 08:25:34 PM »

Buckethead, nice to see you back. You're like sunlight to the darkness. Must admit I sometimes wait when you reply. :D Anyhoo, can you answer question in Reply #137? Curious about your answer.

2Chocolate Shake - in case the link/ post you'd written directed to me, I didn't deny, even mention that language doesn't change, stays the same. This chat began with single word "borsch". I stated merely that in Russian language, alternate spelling doesn't exist. In the same way as various English-speaking countries spell English words differently. Here, various Russian dialects spell words the same way around Russia. They've got different words to mean the same thing. F.ex. "petukh" (rooster) in South of Russia is "kochet". Obviously it's different case than having at the same time in time alternate spellings, either/ all being correct. I'm very aware that words can get different spelling in country it's adapted. But, it's interesting to me to dig deeper than that, i.e. how the word "borsch" got the "t" at the end. Nowhere did I see it written like that. Not in Gogols' tales or any classic Russian literature we read at school. I'd surely remember it if I'd seen such dissonant spelling. I'm interested in how exactly it developed such spelling, generally being interested in these things. Maybe it's being too nitpicky to you, too bizarre, silly etc. You see, I'm wired in these things. Anyhoo, end of.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 25, 2018, 05:36:00 AM »

RRA1 - Sorry about the occasional wait for sunshine. I don't have a lot of spare time, and am often just too tired to do much when I have it.

My trademark saying is, "You can't fix stupid." This does not mean that I look down on people who disagree with me, have intellectual disabilities, those who did not have opportunities to get an education, or anyone who does not have particular knowledge or skills that I might have. Rather, it refers to people who are stupid because the have an attitude such that they refuse to grow. In many cases, in my opinion, it is a very conscious phenomenon. As a teacher, I see it in some of my students, which used to keep me up at night. You will have some who have low ability or a poor prior academic experiences, but open themselves to learning and do progress. I just finished teaching a remedial reading class in summer school. I spent three or so extra unpaid hours per day creating really fun and engaging lessons, complete with hands-on projects, to make sure that I did all that I could do to support their learning. Four girls advanced a full grade level to a level and one half in ten weeks. The three others, who listened to music, ran around the room, destroyed my posters and decorations, and tried to shout over me so that others could not learn, remained at their second grade level. This troubles me to no end, but I have an obligation to those who want to learn because they are not stupid.   
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 25, 2018, 07:04:46 AM »

2Chocolate Shake - in case the link/ post you'd written directed to me, I didn't deny, even mention that language doesn't change, stays the same. This chat began with single word "borsch". I stated merely that in Russian language, alternate spelling doesn't exist.

Borsch appears to be a modification of the Russian borshch: https://russiapedia.rt.com/of-russian-origin/borshch/
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 25, 2018, 08:02:34 AM »

2Buckethead: Is it standard that teachers there take additional hours they don't get paid? Or is it in special schools? Or do you really like what you do that you deliberately find time to teach additional hours despite the fact you will not be paid?

2Chocolate Shake: Next sentence should be quoted as well. I said that alternate spelling doesn't exist in Russian, be it "borsch" or sth. else. It's written "борщ". You can't argue with it if I tell you that there's no alternate spelling in Russian words. English transliteration may be this & that but in Russian it's the same 4 letters. Besides, in the next sentence you'll read me say in compare with English words differing in spelling in Britain & America - f.ex. traveling/ travelling, favorite/ favourite - & both being correct, they both exist currently, being used at the same time, Russian language isn't such case.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 25, 2018, 10:25:23 AM »

I’m not a teacher but will speak up for “Buckethead “ and other teachers . There are so many in the US think teachers have it made, only working 9-10 months a year. Great part time job. Why should they want more pay?
I want to scream!
Teachers work their regular hours. But they also have conferences with students and parents. They have to grade papers and develop lesson plans; this is done at night and weekends and they don’t get extra pay.
Many teachers have to pay for supplies out of their own pockets.
During the summers they often take continuing education courses that they have to take in order to remain certified.
Many teachers have to have Masters Degrees.
They do not get enough compensation for what they do!
Thank you, Buckethead,for all you do!

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 25, 2018, 02:04:48 PM »

Thanks, NBBF! While teachers may often get away with doing the minimum, it is really difficult to be effective (especially with the populations I teach) without devoting much more time, energy, and funds than people realize. IMO, its a privilege to teach kids; if someone doesn't want to give 100%, they should do something else.

RRA1 - Teachers in "special schools," as well as inner-city schools, have to deal with many issues not often seen in "regular" schools. We deal much more with the whole child, as our students tend to come with a great deal of emotional baggage and even physical concerns. Its not easy to teach a child who is in the 10th grade who reads on a 2nd grade level while trying to break up fights, get most of the kids to sit in seats, turn their music down long enough for instruction.  He or she might be resistant to learning because of the resulting low self-esteem, or because s/he comes from a culture in which education is not valued due to seeing easy money "earned" via illegal means. It takes a lot of time to create plans and materials that meet their needs. A kid might have a mother who sold her government-granted food card for something other than food and the kids comes to school hungry, but too late to eat the breakfast served because mom was up all night fighting and doing drugs with her boyfriend of the moment. In the winter, teachers might have to either buy winter coats or find a store to donate some because students newly arrived from Puerto Rico have none. I've typically been given $100.00 to purchase school supplies, but spend many times that amount throughout the school year because parents (or whatever adult is raising the child) will not or cannot provide these things. In reality, more money is spent on this population than anywhere else, but the needs are so great that it is never enough. Then there are the endless meetings and busy work assigned in an effort to pretend that the schools themselves can save these kids. Then there are the endless calls home to parents/guardians who defend their child's disruption and/or violence. Most teachers in these situations leave the profession within the first year or two, or get jobs in school districts where life is better, for both kids and teachers. I've become battle-hardened, I suppose.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 25, 2018, 02:45:21 PM »

It's interesting. Is it each kind of teacher that has conferences with students & parents? Zoology, ph.ed., algebra, English etc.? Here, f.ex., teachers just teach their lessons, depending the schedule - if monday is day to teach lessons in 5th "A" grade, 7th "B" grade, 8th "D" grade, they spend time in school few hours, especially if, say, 5th & 8th grades get lessons at the same time, i.e. "parallel" lessons. Then, if there's several teachers teaching the same school subject, they divide grades/ hours - smb. takes 7th "C", "I" grades, 8th "Z", "T" grades, the other takes the other grades. & yet, it doesn't affect salary size. So, they teach few hours/ day & may go home. AND get paid no less, to boot.

Generally, teachers get plenty of privilegies here - they get paid vacation for 2-3 summer months, if they fly somewhere during the whole summer vacation, by getting back they get their ticket money back. They get paid big salary regardless if you're young teacher or veteran respected teacher. Some don't find it fair, old teachers think there musn't be equal salary with young inexperienced teachers. The other old teachers - fine with it. In addition to it, many schools use special program for its workers - if you're especially young teacher (but it can be anybody) with nowhere to live, just square meters shared in communal flats with the other such teachers, you've got right to be lined up in that program to get your separate place to live. It's usually 2-5 years waiting.

It isn't to say that every teacher's like that. F.ex. school runs 35 grades. It means 35 teachers (there's more) chosen to be assigned to those grades, to take leadership over kids in their respective grades. Which means they schedule evening meeting with parents, to discuss their kids' marks, behavior. If need be, teacher informs them about collecting money to buy for cabinet plant pots, curtains, sweep. Tells about important school activities, that parents must buy costumes for children. Etc.
They do get paid for it additional 800-1,000 roubles. Not much but still. It adds to their credentials if they wish to upgrade their category. Teachers with assigned grade likely will get thru it than teachers without assigned to them grades.

NB: glad to see the "borsch" discussion ended in civil manner.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 25, 2018, 02:50:06 PM »

Sorry, Buckethead, didn't see your reply when typing reply to NBBF (but think it can be directed to you as well). I shall read what you said & reply to it &/ or ask questions if they appear whilst reading.

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 25, 2018, 05:37:08 PM »

I think that, even though US school vary in terms of how teachers and students are organized, no full-time teacher works just a few hours per day.  Teachers typically meet with parents once or twice twice each year to discuss how the students are doing, address any problems, show classwork.
In the last school in which I worked parents had to come in to conference with teachers of each subject in order to receive their kid's report card .
Most teachers here get 10 weeks off in the summer, a few days in the fall, a week off between Christmas  and New Year's Day, a week off in the spring, and a couple of other holidays. No reimbursement for airline tickets, though! That would be so nice... Housing for them is almost unheard of, although a few very rural places are trying to attract and keep teachers with some deals such as low-cost apartments. Philadelphia used to offer
low-interest loans in order to encourage teachers to live in the city. While we don't get paid extra for parent meetings, many teachers are paid extra for coaching athletic teams, scholastic competitions, etc.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 25, 2018, 07:56:42 PM »

OK. I read the reply. Question - why your government doesn't budget schools? Isn't there Ministry Of Education in the U.S., special state establishment which pays money to teachers & everybody in education sphere? We've got Ministry for various spheres which supply finances to respectives. F.ex. Ministry Of Culture supplies salary to cultural workers - librarians, club workers, theatre workers, museums etc.

Those instances pay salary, medical leave if you're ill, vacation money etc. They as well supply with place to live in. F.ex. new buildings built to people (rather than shopping centres) get lined up, if you work in budget organization, you line up to get flat in new block of flats. It's either for free or you just pay the half. & the half pays government. It's city situation.

When you're allocated to little town (well town IS little by definition), ofc there's no new buildings. In this case, newly arrived teacher/ any (state) budget worker is given either place in workers' hostel, communal house (few teachers living each in rooms but sharing lavatory, kitchen, dining room & living-room) or flat in the 2-storey old building which is used till their contract ends & they go back to city.

At 1st, it's not their flat, its rent pay/ electricity/ water is paid by town's municipality, ie. they don't have to worry about paying for using flat. It's freely given to newcomers who arrive to work in town. When you worked certain time, contract ends (usually 2-5 yrs), you either renew it if you liked working in town, some even find love there, as bizarre as it may sound (get married, kids) or, when time passes, few yrs after, the municipal flat can be legally yours, it can be privatized & then you can sell it & fly to city with money. Not shabby, right?

There's many social programs to people. If you go to work in village, usual place where they lack workers of various specialties, not just teachers & educators, you'll be paid bigger money than if you worked in the city. It's very profitable but not many stand it, due to no fun, no city's glitz, places to visit etc. Plus working conditions can be tough in village. But, if you work there 5 yrs, you'll be given million roubles. It's special program to make people go work in villages. If you work just year in village, you will NOT be paid million. But 5 yrs passed, you get million AND get choice to either stay in village or go back to city. Million will not be annulled regardless what you choose.

It's very strange to me to read that teachers in America pay their money to buy things to kids. It shouldn't be like this, government should help (easier said than done, I gather).

Would you clarify when you say full-time teachers, do you mean every subject teacher is such? Is it everybody who talks with parents regarding respective subject teaching to their children? Here, only teachers with grade attached to them talk with parents whose children comprise that grade. Usually, these teachers get assigned to take grade (or is it class?) since 5th grade till the last, 11th. I.e. they go along with the same kids till they graduate. During it, they arrange weekly in-class hours in which teacher discusses with kids various topics, reads announcements, school activities, just casual chatting "How's life? Everything's fine? Do you do well in the other subjects?". It's usually at Friday or Saturday, last day in school week. Or, the day when the teacher isn't busy & kids' study schedule allows. Such hours usually last 45 minutes, same as any actual school subject. If the teacher's angry with children, the plain teachers complain to the teacher her/ his grade misbehaved, they can leave children after whopping 6-7 lessons for additional in-class talk.

10 weeks is good. Teachers seem to be relatively privileged in America like here too, as the other U.S. workers I chatted with say they may get 2 weeks' vacation & national & state holidays if they're lucky. They showed sheer surprise when I said here people get whole summer vacation (3 months). Or 2 months in some workplaces. Same in fall i.e. people choose when to take paid vacation - summer or fall. If fall, they work in summer i.e. smb.'s vacation begins in September-October. & vice versa.

This thing bugs as well - here we use the word "student" to mean university/ college kids. We were taught that to mean school kids, we use "pupil". In "Up The Down Staircase" film/ book, the main character/ teachers used "pupil" as well. Is it archaic now to use it?  & EVERYbody studying in places is dubbed "student"?

Just few questions to begin discussion.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 09:01:02 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 25, 2018, 08:58:52 PM »

The thing to keep in mind is that the teachers don't get a 10 week "vacation." They don't get paid during this time.
Some teachers take the option of having their pay spread out over 12 months . I know of some teachers who took their pay over 10 months, then took a temporary job over the summer.

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 26, 2018, 06:03:30 AM »

NBBF - So true.

RRA1 - The state and federal (main) governments do fund public schools, and teachers in most areas do not, as a rule need to spend much of their own money on materials or directly for their students. (The term pupils is interchangeable with students, although not typically used. My last school required that we call the kids scholars in an effort to suggest that most of the kids actually cared about their education and studied.)
The majority of schools do fine with what they are given. In reality, although more money is spent on the schools in which kids are most in need of it, schools cannot to do the job of families. I'll take a risk here and also add that there are now generations of students raised, whether good or bad, on various forms of welfare  - "food stamps," heavily subsidized housing, free medical care, etc. Whereas poor kids in other societies care very much whether or not they can get an education that will be a key factor to survival for themselves or their families (and therefore cooperate in school), many here simply don't worry about that. I've been told repeatedly when I express my concern for a student's future, "I'll just collect." I've taught teens who have a child or two before they graduate from high school and plan for more, thinking nothing of, whereas I would have been racked with worry about how I might provide for my babies. These inner city school as so pressured to have kids graduate that they pass them with averages of 30%, attendance of less than 50%. I am not exaggerating.

Yes, although there are some part-time teachers, most in high school and middle school teach full-time and one subject area. An English teacher might teach composition and Russian literature, for example, or a math teacher geometry and algebra. In my special schools, I've taught each student each subject, though, or English and social studies both. Meetings would be with parents of kids they teach, although many parent cannot or will not attend.
We have something called homeroom, in which time is set aside daily or weekly for students to be in the class with one teacher all year. Some catch up on homework (in regular schools in which kids do homework, study for tests), talk about how they are doing, watch student-created news shows about the school, participate in social activities designed to promote a sense of belonging and positive social interaction.

Your discussion of discipline is interesting. Typically, schools can give detention when students misbehave, have students talk to the principal, call parents in to discuss behavior and consequences, give various tasks. The problem with the populations I teach is that the parents often support their kids or refuse to even meet or talk on the phone. The kids simply do what they please. They know that they will be passed on grade-wise and everyone is afraid that if real consequences are given students will not come to classes at all and then drop-out rates rise, making the school look bad. Smoke and mirrors, baby! There are some kids and families who care. I have, at times, been reduced to having those few who want to learn sitting at my desk while others shout, fight, eat pizza, blare music, or sleep. (This, after exhausting efforts on my part during which I have been assaulted, with little or no assistance/support zero assistance.) I've actually had counselors and administrators tell me that I was "triggering" students because I was doing things they did not "like" and needed to stop it because our job is to keep them in school. I was criticized for having seniors write paragraphs, asking them to follow along as I read out loud, and one woman with a PhD in education lambasted me for attempting to facilitate a discussion on a video I had shown. What, you may ask, was I supposed to do in English class? Give them "worksheets,"  pieces of printed paper on which they circle nouns they find in sentences, underline spelling mistakes, copy definitions from a dictionary. After giving them the answers (because that is what they "like"), I was told to reward them by allowing them to sleep, eat snacks that I was to purchase, or listen to music. Heel, the janitor could have done that! Many other teachers did as they were told and collected heir paychecks. They were lauded as really caring about and understand the students. I'm curious as to how that caring and understanding is working out now.

Please understand that most US schools are not like this. I've been a substitute teacher in my own local schools where the kids would not dream of even trying what I have described. I've worked with, in these places, very low level students (intellectually disabled) who behaved better and did much higher level work than the typical student in schools I was used to. My point is that some are, usually in the inner cities.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 26, 2018, 04:21:37 PM »

Thanks to answer the questions, appreciate it, many things you clarified.

Different type, trivial question - is it true/ myth that rainbow can be touched, as well as you can pass thru under it to be happy? I gathered folks to go to the rainbow destination just for fun but it chased way-way back. Is it what maybe they say illusion?

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 26, 2018, 07:06:22 PM »

Gosh, I don't know much about rainbows. I have never been able to go under them or find the end of them, where pots of gold supposedly may be found! They are considered good luck though, in my culture. How about yours? Are there any legends?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 27, 2018, 06:10:22 AM »

Don't know about legends but it's rife with superstitions. F.ex. going thru/ touching rainbow means happiness; bird flies into window is bad sign, seeing 2 larks at once means you'll find true love (as teenager used to sit & wait patiently by the river shore to see pair but it's either single lark or zero. Looking back, should't care. Big deal); 5-rouble coin inside shoe means passing exam with "5", best mark here (= U.S. "A"), ditto if you put the study book with exam answers under pillow, ditto if you don't wash hair right before exam or better yet whopping week; knock wooden furniture 3 times if you said/ predict sth. bad or you tell about your grandiose plans in future before the actual future; if you step at smb.'s/ friend's foot, they must step at your foot back, else you'll quarrel; crossing paths with black cat is bad luck sign (disagree); if smb. in the street going to throw their full garbage passes you by, you'll be rich, ditto if smb. you know doesn't recognize you at 1st; if people discuss/ talk about/ mention you & you just entered the room in short time, people will say typically in jest "you're resentful"; salt lies in floor will bring quarrel & many-many others. What will you say? Is any in U.S.? Similar?

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: August 27, 2018, 04:00:19 PM »

We used to pick a daisy, then one by one take off each petal while saying, "He loves me, he loves me not." If the the last petal was an "He loves me," then the guy you have in mind loves you and visa versa. Some people say something they are hopeful about, then say "knock wood" or actually knock on a wooden table. (This is like your description.) Many here also say a black cat crossing one's path is bad luck. Others throw a pinch of salt over their shoulder for good luck. Some brides believe that if the groom sees them before their wedding it bodes poorly for the marriage. Break a mirror and have seven years of bad luck, having itchy palms indicated money is coming your way.  If people are conversing about someone who then walks into the room they might say, "Are your ears burning? We were just talking about you." Oh, and bad things always happen in threes!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 27, 2018, 04:41:09 PM »

Ha, looks like these superstitions don't quite differ in culture to culture. Things you described exist here too. Do you believe any of them? I def. don't.

There's thing I believe, maybe reading horrors, bizarrely fascinated by it influenced such belief inadvertently. But, I think doll - not Barbie size, child-looking bigger doll - is evil. I think it brings bad things. I don't believe they necessarily walk around house if you keep the room doors open. It's just I think they're evil. They look cute but, as they say, looks can deceive. This may read like tongue-in-cheek - nope, I'm serious. What will you say?

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 27, 2018, 06:33:01 PM »

I am not superstitious at all. As for the dolls, I don't share your perception of them. I do LOVE the Chuckie Doll movies. Come to think of it, the Leprechaun were great, too. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 28, 2018, 04:42:34 AM »

Buckethead, here's popular Proust questionnaire, courtesy of Vanity Fair magazine. Enjoy! :D

1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
2. What is your greatest fear?
3. Which historical figure do you most identify with?
4. What is your greatest extravagance?
5. What is your favorite journey?
6. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
7. On what occasion do you lie?
8. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
9. What or who is the greatest love of your life?
10. What is your current state of mind?
11. If you could change one thing about your family, what would it be?
12. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
13. What is your most treasured possession?
14. What is your most marked characteristic?
15. What is the quality you most like in a man?
16. What is the quality you most like in a woman?
17. Who are your favorite writers?
18. Who is your favorite hero of fiction?
19. Who are your heroes in real life?
20. If you were to die and come back as a person or thing, what do you think it would be?
21. What is it that you most dislike?
22. How would you like to die?
23. When and where were you happiest?
24. Which talent would you most like to have?
25. What are your favorite names?
26. Where would you like to live?

Nobody cares but hey, here's answers by me:

1. Living.
2. To cease to exist.
3. Don't know.
4. I don't really get still what precisely is "extravagance".
5. N/A.
6. Generosity? Idk.
7. It's rare but when I do it's if I'm asked by strange people address & number. I create fake info to be safe.
8. Jolly good, big deal, g'day, ha.
9. Cats.
10. Apathy.
11. Bring my dear granny back to live.
12. To be centre of embarrassment, ofc.
13. Cat brooch mother bought me at 10th birthday.
14. Idk, ask smb. else.
15. No clue.
16. Ditto.
17. Charles Dickens, Alexander Grin, Neil Gaiman, Franz Kafka etc.
18. Coraline, Alice.
19. Mother, late granny, MJ, war veterans
20. Human being or cat.
21. Lickspittles, 2-faced people, cruelty towards living creatures, over-the-top pretentious kindness, insincerity, onions, tomatoes etc.
22. I wouldn't like to. Who would?
23. When I acquired keyboard instruments in the city music shop.
24. Persuasion skills.
25. Charlie, John, Mae, Marion, Frank, Frederick, Zak, Daphne, Daisy etc.
26. San Francisco, CA.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 06:56:00 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 29, 2018, 05:11:02 PM »

Looks like fun, RRA! Unfortunately, I can't find enough time right now for more than brief interaction on SmileySmile. LOVE  your answer to #22. And what is a lickspittle?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 29, 2018, 10:29:27 PM »

When you get free time.
Lickpittle is derriere-kisser. Discovered it when studying English in 5th grade, reading short situational children tales.

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 31, 2018, 05:22:27 PM »

Oh my! Never heard about that one! I'll have to start using it - it's pretty cool.

I'm starting too teach a unit on the Russian Revolution - before, during, after. I'd like to help my lower level teens make some connections in their minds, as many probably know very little about your fair country (due to interrupted education caused by family chaos, trauma, treatment). I'm trying to think of ways in which Russia has influenced US and world culture. Any ideas? Sometimes we take for granted aspects of our own cultures that actually arrived from elsewhere.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 08, 2018, 08:43:24 AM »

Hello, dear Buckethead. Tbh, I've zero idea in which ways Russia influenced U.S./ world culture. If I knew, I'd be glad to answer you. I'm sure by googling or in school library etc. you'll find the info about it. Smiley

Sure it should be in pet peeves. Anyhoo, hate when the girl in the pair giggles. F.ex. today walked with cat. Pairs pass by. The girl half usually giggles frequently to sth. said by her boyfriend. F.ex. some chap said plain banality "I went shopping" & girl giggled. What's so funny about going shopping? Brow Is it possible to tolerate such thing? Apparently these boys don't hate to hear giggles. They don't seem even tiny bit annoyed. Bizarre.

Sure it should be in pet peeves #2 - parents/ fam telling lies to kids Santa leaves Christmas gifts, lame cookie with milk preparation, jumping down chimney tales. If kids will be upset if they tell truth, so what? Just tell it as is, that's it. Easy.

Sure it should be in pet peeves #3 - cuisines with spices, they seem to enjoy spices better than the food itself.

Sure it should be in pet peeves #4 - dating. Why people date? What's esp. interesting about it? Smiley residents who date, can you tell reasons you began dating initially? Advertise it as you can.

Sure it should be in pet peeves #5 - dogs who can't quit barking.

Sure it should be in pet peeves #6 - neighbors.

Sure it should be in pet peeves #7 - when umbrealla breaks quickly, doesn't cover you thru & thru. As result, you're half drenched in rain. As result, look like idiot.

Sure it should be in pet peeves #8 - stupidly creative album titles. It looks like every artist just makes up random titles gotten fresh outta mind. Just for the hell of it. The titles don't usually represent music inside the respective album AT ALL. F.ex. some modern indie girl band - forgetting which - titled album Kerulean Salt (or is it Cerulean?). Never mind that I don't know what's K/Cerulean, it's important to know why the need to name the album exactly as such.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 05:37:19 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 08, 2018, 05:51:21 PM »

Hey, Range Rovey, your reply's approved by me. 3D Well stated, as usual. "Like"!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 12:10:18 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 08, 2018, 07:19:51 PM »

Have been very busy lately, getting and relaying info to family, trying to get repairs done to house etc.
Anyway Mari, about your Pet Peeves:

1. Guys and gals often giggle due to nervousness, as a kind of "tic." I know several people like that. It can get annoying but if I care for them I try to ignore it.
 some young girls do giggle a lot around boys. Maybe they're trying to impress the boys.

2/ There IS a Santa Claus! :-)

3. Spices serve a purpose, to help draw out flavor of what's being cooked, but not to overpower it. A bit of spices, cinnamon, ginger,etc, have a wonderful aroma.

4. I dated in the forlorn hope of finding Prince Charming. Nowadays I just date to enjoy a dinner or movie with a male friend once in a while. I also go places with gal friends. It's fun to talk about shared experiences together. But I have no problem going solo if necessary.

5. Not so much mad at the dogs as with their owners.

6. I've been super lucky (or blessed) to have great neighbors over the years. Only one bad one for a while and was super happy when he left.

7. I don't even bother using umbrellas any more. Not being the Wicked Witch of the West, rain won't cause me to melt.If the rain is horrible and I have to go out in it, I'll wear a poncho.

8. Album titles don 't bother me. And I like unusual band names; many names are a lot better than the music they produce.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: