gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680883 Posts in 27618 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 11:02:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: M & B Tour 2013  (Read 145873 times)
Nicko1234
« Reply #575 on: September 29, 2013, 01:53:58 AM »

Top 30 ?  Betcha $10,000,000 it wasn't.  Grin

Irrespective of chart position, it's not a song Joe Q. Public would immediately associate with the band.

In the U.K. it was. Time to pay up.  Smiley
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: September 29, 2013, 06:20:41 AM »

Top 30 ?  Betcha $10,000,000 it wasn't.  Grin

Irrespective of chart position, it's not a song Joe Q. Public would immediately associate with the band.

In the U.K. it was. Time to pay up.  Smiley

One was 29 (UK) - and USA was 31. An even split.  Not a hit, but that supports that "deep cut" appeal.  
It did better in AU and NZ, 10 and 11, respectively, and 26 in Holland.  That is the single.  That is wiki, subject to some error.  

Wild Honey came out in October of 1967 and Darlin' in December, 1967, which did have better success as a single, in random radio markets, but at same time as Wild Honey, in album form.  And, Andrew is correct in that John Q. Public would not draw that connection.  It is a "fan's fan" track.  But, it's becoming a live blockbuster for exactly the reason Andrew gave.  

It triggers that recall of late 1967, with a new appreciation for work, that, at least in the US, became marginalized, within and among, the anti-war genre and the emerging psychedelic and pop/flower power rock.   Wink
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 06:24:09 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: September 29, 2013, 12:29:43 PM »

Top 30 ?  Betcha $10,000,000 it wasn't.  Grin

As others said, number 29 in your homeland.

I'll accept cash or check.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #578 on: September 29, 2013, 12:51:18 PM »

As The Beach Boys are a US band, I defer to the charts of their home country, unless specifically stated. Which you didn't.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
jamsvet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: September 29, 2013, 03:04:29 PM »

I think you guys should settle for like 1 Pound 6 Pence, whatever the hell that is. A Buck Six Fifty?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: September 29, 2013, 06:15:35 PM »

As The Beach Boys are a US band, I defer to the charts of their home country, unless specifically stated. Which you didn't.  Grin

Then I suppose I'll have to let you slide for now.

However, it's sad you don't value your home country more. It really is a great place, despite what certain jingoistic Americans on here say.

By the way, does that mean you would defer to The Beatles UK chart placings?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #581 on: September 29, 2013, 11:36:09 PM »

As The Beach Boys are a US band, I defer to the charts of their home country, unless specifically stated. Which you didn't.  Grin

Then I suppose I'll have to let you slide for now.

However, it's sad you don't value your home country more. It really is a great place, despite what certain jingoistic Americans on here say.

By the way, does that mean you would defer to The Beatles UK chart placings?

Yes - chart placings and catalog, because the UK releases up to Pepper were how the band intended and not the result of the suits in the tower trying to squeeze more bucks out of the talent. Likewise, I defer to the BB US catalog.

As for valuing my country, I don't let something as utterly insignificant as a rock band inform my patriotism. I love England, and am inordinately proud to be English (with roots going back to 1500), and right now, it saddens and worries me to see what's happening to it... yet for all the PC nonsense, in my eyes it's still the best place in the world to live for, oh pretty much everything.

Except winter sports, maybe.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 11:38:01 PM by A. Grayham Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #582 on: September 30, 2013, 04:50:05 AM »

As for valuing my country, I don't let something as utterly insignificant as a rock band inform my patriotism. I love England, and am inordinately proud to be English (with roots going back to 1500), and right now, it saddens and worries me to see what's happening to it... yet for all the PC nonsense, in my eyes it's still the best place in the world to live for, oh pretty much everything.

And national team football. Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: September 30, 2013, 05:47:34 AM »

Oh, I dunno - England Ladies beat Turkey 8-0 the other night  Grin
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #584 on: September 30, 2013, 12:10:13 PM »

Who watches ladies football? Actually I do, a week ago I enjoyed German ladies' 9-0 over Russia.

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: September 30, 2013, 12:13:43 PM »

Who watches ladies football? Actually I do, a week ago I enjoyed German ladies' 9-0 over Russia.
Ladies football had a big breakthrough this summer in Sweden thanks to the European Championships. Really enjoyed it. But that's a sandbox discussion, right? :-)

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #586 on: October 01, 2013, 04:21:33 AM »

Ladies football had a big breakthrough this summer in Sweden thanks to the European Championships. Really enjoyed it. But that's a sandbox discussion, right? :-)

Are you Swedish?

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: October 01, 2013, 04:30:47 AM »

Are you Swedish?
Yep.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: October 07, 2013, 11:54:29 PM »

It seems that Christian Love is taking some time off in October and guitarist Brian Sutherland is replacing him.
Has anybody seen a show in October? Any feedback about Brian S.? Does it take any lead vocals?   Who sings Vibes and Kokomo now?

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: October 08, 2013, 04:39:06 AM »

It seems that Christian Love is taking some time off in October and guitarist Brian Sutherland is replacing him.
Has anybody seen a show in October? Any feedback about Brian S.? Does it take any lead vocals?   Who sings Vibes and Kokomo now?

That's interesting! Seems like Stamos is in for the October run as well...
TommyPlural
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: October 08, 2013, 07:32:52 AM »

Interesting that they would bring a new person in rather than get Phil Bardowell or someone to fill-in. Of course now that I think about it there haven't been a ton of Beach Boys touring guitarists... I mean, Baker's probably available, but... *shudder.*
Nicko1234
« Reply #591 on: October 08, 2013, 08:48:06 AM »

Interesting that they would bring a new person in rather than get Phil Bardowell or someone to fill-in. Of course now that I think about it there haven't been a ton of Beach Boys touring guitarists... I mean, Baker's probably available, but... *shudder.*

Didn't Kirsch play rhythm guitar in the past with Chris Farmer on bass?
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: October 08, 2013, 08:52:15 AM »

Yes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80Zdb-cDe28
That's Kirsch on guitar at 0:17

Also, watch them completely F up Mike's masterpiece by somehow forgetting to transition the song into the verse.

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: October 08, 2013, 12:55:28 PM »

Yes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80Zdb-cDe28
That's Kirsch on guitar at 0:17

Also, watch them completely F up Mike's masterpiece by somehow forgetting to transition the song into the verse.

Wow...that was bad. Mike's vocals seemed unusually nasal...way too acoustic, and those terrible steel drum keyboard sounds WAY too heavy in the mix...and poor Bruce is using everything he's got to stay in his seat and keep his hands down!

Cowsill is really the only good thing that clip has to offer!
TommyPlural
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: October 08, 2013, 02:01:54 PM »

Yeah, Kirsch was originally rhythm guitar. He did that in Jan and Dean's band too, right? Besides Randell, Baker (whom Kirsch initially replaced), Christian, Scott, and Foskett, who else has been a touring guitarist for the (non C50) touring band?
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: October 16, 2013, 12:07:51 PM »

Has anyone seen Mike and Bruce over the past week?

According to fb they're doing Heroes and Villains, Sail on Sailor, and Forever...not too crazy for them, but I don't think they've been played since the reunion.

Anyone have a full setlist or knowledge of other setlist goodies from them? Maybe competing with Mr. Pet Sounds...
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: October 16, 2013, 04:51:27 PM »

According to fb they're doing Heroes and Villains, Sail on Sailor, and Forever...not too crazy for them, but I don't think they've been played since the reunion.

Anyone have a full setlist or knowledge of other setlist goodies from them? Maybe competing with Mr. Pet Sounds...

They're doing "forever" because John Stamos is with them.

Competition is good for both groups and fans overall if we can't have the full band together. Pushes both sides for deeper cuts.

Can't wait for Mike to announce his joint tour with Slash.  Cheesy
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: October 16, 2013, 06:33:15 PM »

They're doing "forever" because John Stamos is with them.

Competition is good for both groups and fans overall if we can't have the full band together. Pushes both sides for deeper cuts.

Can't wait for Mike to announce his joint tour with Slash.  Cheesy

w00t!
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #598 on: October 16, 2013, 07:17:34 PM »

Cool, I wonder who does The lead on heroes and villains?
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #599 on: October 16, 2013, 07:20:43 PM »

If I remember correctly from seeing them in 2011 John does the lead on "Heroes and Villains", it sounded like
the version from the "In Concert" album too

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx