gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680880 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 04:46:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: M & B Tour 2013  (Read 145862 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: September 20, 2013, 10:54:33 PM »

Maybe, maybe not, but some quotes (to name a few) I feel a hyped.

-The Warmth of the Sun marks a resurgence in Beach Boys interest that has again rocked the world. (ehhh...ok?)

-averaging 150 shows a year( often challenged quote)

-Mike Love’s concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a tempest that rocked the music world. (Wow!!!)

-replacing Glenn Campbell, who filled-in for Brian Wilson (a guy who stayed for a matter of months over Carl and Dennis who don't get a mention? All class)

-Love’s role as the band’s front man sometimes overshadows his stature as one of rock’s foremost songwriters. (What ever)

-Love and The Beach Boys’ recent efforts raised over a quarter of a million dollars for the Red Cross to benefit victims of Hurricane Katrina and made additional contributions to the disaster relief in Haiti. (recent...their word not mine. Katrina was 2005)

-who along with Christian Love, Randell Kirsch, Tim Bonhomme, John Cowsill and Scott Totten (so relevant they get listed twice)

« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 10:55:42 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: September 21, 2013, 05:27:23 AM »

Brian, Al and Dave are specifically mentioned as NOT being involved with this line-up.  Otherwise, it reads like a standard press release for a touring band, emphasizing who will be appearing and their contributions.  I see no disrespect to anyone.
Exactly! Plus, weren't we bitching last year that some venues were promoting the shows as all five?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: September 21, 2013, 08:46:14 AM »

Brian, Al and Dave are specifically mentioned as NOT being involved with this line-up.  Otherwise, it reads like a standard press release for a touring band, emphasizing who will be appearing and their contributions.  I see no disrespect to anyone.
Exactly! Plus, weren't we bitching last year that some venues were promoting the shows as all five?

Well, it just seems to me there's a happy middle ground where the information makes it clear that the others aren't at this particular gig, but  also admits that they were major factors in the group's success. Reading this, it was all Mike's doing. Now, if this was a Mike Love promotional piece, I'd disagree with some of it, but it wouldn't be a real problem. But, since this is a Beach Boys promotion... well.

And.... Endless Summer was a Mike Love concept album? Seriously?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: September 21, 2013, 08:54:36 AM »

Well, it just seems to me there's a happy middle ground where the information makes it clear that the others aren't at this particular gig, but  also admits that they were major factors in the group's success. Reading this, it was all Mike's doing. Now, if this was a Mike Love promotional piece, I'd disagree with some of it, but it wouldn't be a real problem. But, since this is a Beach Boys promotion... well.

Mike named the album. I think he helped with the song selection, but don't hold me to that.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: September 21, 2013, 08:59:07 AM »

Mike named the album. I think he helped with the song selection, but don't hold me to that.

Maybe. But compilation does not equal concept album. When he writes an album full of original songs that are linked thematically, I'll give him that one.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: September 21, 2013, 09:02:41 AM »

Maybe. But compilation does not equal concept album. When he writes an album full of original songs that are linked thematically, I'll give him that one.
Concept can mean theme, as well. Of course they are gonna talk it up, it is a promo for their show. I saw absolutely nothing offensive in the piece, just extra self promotion. No harm, no foul.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: September 21, 2013, 09:09:41 AM »

Also Cyncie, Concept Album is not always self written material. Everyone of Frank Sinatra's 16 Capitol albums are considered concept albums. Not one song is written by him. Almost none were songs that were written just for him. They were old songs even by the time that he recorded them. It is the songs, the arrangements, the sequencing, and the styles that make each of them a concept album.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 06:09:17 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Nicko1234
« Reply #507 on: September 21, 2013, 09:28:49 AM »

It's a press release for the touring group. Of course it is going to push Mike's role (and to a lesser extent Bruce and the others). Another non-story.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: September 21, 2013, 09:39:03 AM »

My understanding is none of the Boys had input with ES. The Boys were informed of the completed package with a generic title. The one input was Mike's suggestion of ES as the title instead of Generic Best Of title.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: September 21, 2013, 10:32:37 AM »

Maybe, maybe not, but some quotes (to name a few) I feel a hyped.

-The Warmth of the Sun marks a resurgence in Beach Boys interest that has again rocked the world. (ehhh...ok?)

-averaging 150 shows a year( often challenged quote)

-Mike Love’s concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a tempest that rocked the music world. (Wow!!!)

-replacing Glenn Campbell, who filled-in for Brian Wilson (a guy who stayed for a matter of months over Carl and Dennis who don't get a mention? All class)

-Love’s role as the band’s front man sometimes overshadows his stature as one of rock’s foremost songwriters. (What ever)

-Love and The Beach Boys’ recent efforts raised over a quarter of a million dollars for the Red Cross to benefit victims of Hurricane Katrina and made additional contributions to the disaster relief in Haiti. (recent...their word not mine. Katrina was 2005)

-who along with Christian Love, Randell Kirsch, Tim Bonhomme, John Cowsill and Scott Totten (so relevant they get listed twice)

I did notice Warmth of Sun and Katrina stuff as well.  Sort of struck me that maybe they had pulled out the language from a 5 year old press release for this write-up.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: September 21, 2013, 01:21:43 PM »

I'm sure the same basic press release was discussed on this board over a year ago, so you're probably correct!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: September 22, 2013, 09:09:16 PM »

I went to the Frederick and Ocean City shows this weekend. It was the basic greatest hits live country fair setlist...Summer Means Fun is still in...so is Darlin & Wild Honey...and Goin To The Beach. The only differences from each night was the addition of "Cool Head, Warm Heart". They also have a big screen behind the stage, and one on either side. I had never seen them use this before...it swapped between pre-determined photos and clips and a video feed of the concert. Carl sang "God Only Knows"...also, every photo was carefully zoomed and placed so that Brian, Al, and David NEVER appeared on the screen. Mike mentioned Brian once each night...nothing else.

The Frederick show was very good.  The guys were on their game but it was clear that this was their first show in a while. Mike and Bruce both had some cringeworthy vocal moments. But nothing to bring a tear to your ear! Bruce's voice was just very weak...way too breathy for "Surfer Girl". They also need to drop "Why Do Fools Fall in Love"...the band is just too thin for this arrangement. But the crowd was absolutely the worst I have ever seen in at any concert I've been to. I was able to get the bare minimum of people to stand for the car medley and "wouldn't it be Nice"...but there was just no energy at all...and I don't blame the band! It was just a bunch of miserable old people. I was yelled at to sit down on Rock and Roll Music...got back up for Fun, Fun, Fun and was yelled at by A LOT of people...so we took a slow and early walk to the car, listening to the encore along the way  Afro

Ocean City was MUCH better. The crowd was very responsive and enjoyable and the band sounded much better too. I really have nothing bad to say about this show! If I really dug for a complaint, it would be about the setlist but I can understand and respect their decisions for this type of concert.

Moral of the story: I probably won't be doing Mike and Bruce concerts that are at OTHER events anymore. This was the first time I had done that and we had a blast with the day's festivities, but the shows just are not the same.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: September 23, 2013, 03:04:58 PM »

Went to Charleston Clay Center show last night.  second time I saw them this Summer.  I thought they would be tired but they sounded great.  Mike and Bruce, and even Randall turning in some great vocals along withScott, John and Christian.
I missed hearing/seeing atit and Isn't it Time.  GTTB sounded good live.   seemed the whole band was engaged with the audience.   the misses scored a BJ autograph on a vinyl of Going Public.  didn't  buy the t shirt but bought a nice ball cap....nicer  than the last couple of Bb hats I purchased.  ,
Looking forward to BAD in DC in a couple weeks.

Anyone  else attend the Clay Center show?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: September 23, 2013, 06:24:50 PM »

I went to the Frederick and Ocean City shows this weekend. It was the basic greatest hits live country fair setlist...Summer Means Fun is still in...so is Darlin & Wild Honey...and Goin To The Beach. The only differences from each night was the addition of "Cool Head, Warm Heart". They also have a big screen behind the stage, and one on either side. I had never seen them use this before...it swapped between pre-determined photos and clips and a video feed of the concert. Carl sang "God Only Knows"...also, every photo was carefully zoomed and placed so that Brian, Al, and David NEVER appeared on the screen. Mike mentioned Brian once each night...nothing else.

The Frederick show was very good.  The guys were on their game but it was clear that this was their first show in a while. Mike and Bruce both had some cringeworthy vocal moments. But nothing to bring a tear to your ear! Bruce's voice was just very weak...way too breathy for "Surfer Girl". They also need to drop "Why Do Fools Fall in Love"...the band is just too thin for this arrangement. But the crowd was absolutely the worst I have ever seen in at any concert I've been to. I was able to get the bare minimum of people to stand for the car medley and "wouldn't it be Nice"...but there was just no energy at all...and I don't blame the band! It was just a bunch of miserable old people. I was yelled at to sit down on Rock and Roll Music...got back up for Fun, Fun, Fun and was yelled at by A LOT of people...so we took a slow and early walk to the car, listening to the encore along the way  Afro

Ocean City was MUCH better. The crowd was very responsive and enjoyable and the band sounded much better too. I really have nothing bad to say about this show! If I really dug for a complaint, it would be about the setlist but I can understand and respect their decisions for this type of concert.

Moral of the story: I probably won't be doing Mike and Bruce concerts that are at OTHER events anymore. This was the first time I had done that and we had a blast with the day's festivities, but the shows just are not the same.
I had a great time at the show in Anderson Indiana last Aug, I feel the same way you do about the setlist…about the big screens, they announced that the two on the sides were new and had new images. I do concur about the pics without Brian/Al/David, though I actually spent more time searching for Brian than watching the band through parts of the show. I saw ONE pic of the guys from 76, Al and Brian were in the shot, but it was very brief and easy to miss. At first, I thought Dennis was missing from some of the photos early on, then he was in more. There was no mention of Brian, Al, David, or Denny, which is BS! Also, a "new" gag on the big screen is during Be True To Your School, they added in a photo of IU (Indiana University), and they made mention of it. Also Also, idk if I said this before in my review a few pages ago, but there was some REALLY cheesy generic pics used throughout, most prominent during Rock and Roll Music: random pics of the words 'Rock and Roll' in all sorts of ways (neon lights, someone's tattoo, banners from cheap websites, etc); I honestly think the person in charge of obtaining photos just went on Google image search and typed rock and roll. This is why last year's C50 shows were so amazing, everything on the screen was either the concert itself or BB album covers, real BB photos, and vintage footage. This M/B's show, obviously a step down, though how can you follow that act?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: September 23, 2013, 08:40:31 PM »

I had a great time at the show in Anderson Indiana last Aug, I feel the same way you do about the setlist…about the big screens, they announced that the two on the sides were new and had new images. I do concur about the pics without Brian/Al/David, though I actually spent more time searching for Brian than watching the band through parts of the show. I saw ONE pic of the guys from 76, Al and Brian were in the shot, but it was very brief and easy to miss. At first, I thought Dennis was missing from some of the photos early on, then he was in more. There was no mention of Brian, Al, David, or Denny, which is BS! Also, a "new" gag on the big screen is during Be True To Your School, they added in a photo of IU (Indiana University), and they made mention of it. Also Also, idk if I said this before in my review a few pages ago, but there was some REALLY cheesy generic pics used throughout, most prominent during Rock and Roll Music: random pics of the words 'Rock and Roll' in all sorts of ways (neon lights, someone's tattoo, banners from cheap websites, etc); I honestly think the person in charge of obtaining photos just went on Google image search and typed rock and roll. This is why last year's C50 shows were so amazing, everything on the screen was either the concert itself or BB album covers, real BB photos, and vintage footage. This M/B's show, obviously a step down, though how can you follow that act?

I honestly liked the Mike and Bruce show more without the screens. Well, I like having them on the screens, that is always good. But the pre-determined pictures are generally quite awful. It seems both camps are trying to continue with the spirit of C50...just different ways I suppose...

donald- anything interesting to note in the set in WV?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: September 23, 2013, 09:13:27 PM »

The picture fiasco where any shots of Brian, Al and Dave are deleted is churlish for all parties as is any attempt to use formats highlighted during last years C50. Opening with 'Do It Again' at the Mike and Bruce show springs to mind.
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: September 24, 2013, 02:26:02 AM »

Opening with 'Do It Again' at the Mike and Bruce show springs to mind.

They did that before C50 though so I don't see what's so wrong with that. I'm not too big on the video screen really, unless it's a video feed for the people further back, and I agree it's in slightly poor taste if Brian, Al and Dave are being ignored (though I didn't notice at the gig I went to).
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #517 on: September 24, 2013, 02:42:41 AM »

At the Henley show, the backdrop screen showed portions of the video used on the C50 tour, usually synched to the song being played, and Brian, Alan & David were included - hell, parts of the "GV" sessions footage was used.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Nicko1234
« Reply #518 on: September 24, 2013, 02:48:48 AM »

They did that before C50 though so I don't see what's so wrong with that. I'm not too big on the video screen really, unless it's a video feed for the people further back, and I agree it's in slightly poor taste if Brian, Al and Dave are being ignored (though I didn't notice at the gig I went to).

Didn't Alan Boyd say that he felt Al and Brian had complained about their images being used on the screens? Can't blame M&B if that's the case.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: September 24, 2013, 03:09:01 AM »

Didn't Alan Boyd say that he felt Al and Brian had complained about their images being used on the screens? Can't blame M&B if that's the case.

Again silly on Al and Brian's part. Just like those that booed Mike's picture during one of Brian's early solo tours.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #520 on: September 24, 2013, 03:13:11 AM »

In truth, it's all very sill, petty and infantile, but fact is, that's how some fans are: Brianistas/Blooies will never admit Mike has ever done anything of note in his entire life while The Love Posse have problems with The Wilsons. It's like that and that's the way it is.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: September 24, 2013, 05:10:21 AM »

At the Henley show, the backdrop screen showed portions of the video used on the C50 tour, usually synched to the song being played, and Brian, Alan & David were included - hell, parts of the "GV" sessions footage was used.

This footage was very different. None of this stuff was used last year....it was like they went out of their way to find pictures of Mike, Bruce, Carl, and Dennis....SO much Bruce...and SO many cheesy google image results...
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #522 on: September 24, 2013, 05:49:04 AM »

The Love Posse have problems with The Wilsons.

I wasn't aware there is a "Love Posse" and that they have problems with the Wilsons. I'm a Mike Love defender, but I have no problems with the Wilsons. At least two of them are/were better songwriters than Mike.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: September 24, 2013, 05:55:02 AM »

This footage was very different. None of this stuff was used last year....it was like they went out of their way to find pictures of Mike, Bruce, Carl, and Dennis....SO much Bruce...and SO many cheesy google image results...
Frankly, I don't get what the debacle is all about.  I like the video, but would like to see it slowed down a bit. It enhances the show, especially the GOK Carl video.  I'd love to see a Dennis one doing You Are So Beautiful, and not Forever.

And, if they (The Touring Band) are bearing the BB banner, any promotion, aides in the furtherance of the brand marketing and individual sales of solo work, of those not touring under the Touring Band entity. It appears that are working for the "brand" - BRI.

It is "cutting off your nose, to spite your face." Who turns down good historic publicity?

JMHO.  Wink
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: September 24, 2013, 08:15:48 AM »

At the Sunday night show, I did notice that a lot of the background shots were cropped to emphasize mike and bruce, with some carl showing in some.  Seems there were a lot of shots of the surf and girls in bikinis.  I really enjoyed the performance of Isn't It Time this June in California and was a little disappointed it wasn't included here.  Otherwise a very solid show.  No complaints.  By the way, it was announced before the band took the stage that this was a record attendance for a Clay Center show.  For those of you unfamiliar with the venue, it is located in the state capital and is  considered by most to be the  premier performing arts center in the state.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 30 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx