gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 08:37:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: M & B Tour 2013  (Read 145553 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2013, 11:02:12 AM »

I certainly give them props for performing "Wild Honey" live.  Grin

The vocals all sound lower somehow, compared to other live versions of WH I've heard (Blondie, Carl, Matt J on lead). Cowsill's voice has a very different timbre from the other lead singers, and it becomes more of a rock number with him singing, sounding more or less disembodied behind the drumstand screen. Although I don't think Christian sounds that much like Carl, he does have a similar vocal timbre to his cousin -- I wonder if he has tried the lead. I do like that Scott T used Carl's live guitar ending to WH, that was a nice touch.

The whole performance sounded very much like the Good Vibrations From London performance. Right down to the same R&B type ending.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 22, 2013, 12:34:55 PM »

It occurs to me that it can't be Carl's guitar ending, since Carl played the keyboards during live performances of WH. Anyway, I like the nod to the days when the BBs performed WH.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 22, 2013, 12:48:31 PM »

Forgot about Matt's version. May be third best after Carl's and Blondie's versions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H81tILMF-N0

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Nicko1234
« Reply #103 on: April 22, 2013, 12:56:38 PM »

Forgot about Matt's version. May be third best after Carl's and Blondie's versions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H81tILMF-N0

The version on Al's Live in Las Vegas CD is certainly excellent and Matt has a great voice. It's just a shame that Al played so few gigs from 1998 onwards and that he didn't make a genuine attempt to have a solo career. Vocally his group was much stronger than the other 2 factions at the time. It's a shame also that Matt wasn't part of the C50 tour...
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2013, 01:14:57 PM »

From Mike's Facebook page:

Are the Sounds of Summer coming to a town near you?! Here is a list of the May dates! Dare we say "I get around" and "wouldn't it be nice" to get together and have some "fun, fun, fun"!!!
[...]
I didn't make this up, I swear.
Nicko1234
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2013, 01:23:06 PM »

Are the Sounds of Summer coming to a town near you?! Here is a list of the May dates! Dare we say "I get around" and "wouldn't it be nice" to get together and have some "fun, fun, fun"!!!
[...]

Classic stuff.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2013, 01:30:25 PM »

The best version of WH with Matt on lead I experienced was at the CWF benefit concert at the EL Rey theater in 2001. Matt wailed his best and Skunk Baxter burned on guitar -- it was righteous!

http://www.carlwilsonfoundation.org/walk01/concert01b.htm
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2013, 01:39:39 PM »

[...]

Now we know that Mike indeed writes the comments on his facebook site.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2013, 02:12:49 PM »

It occurs to me that it can't be Carl's guitar ending, since Carl played the keyboards during live performances of WH. Anyway, I like the nod to the days when the BBs performed WH.

There is a very classic early concert version live, at around 27:18 on YouTube, under "The Beach Boys Live Detroit, November 17, 1967" ( I saw them on the 27th) and Carl barely has the lyrics down.  Daryl Dragon was at that show. (Boston)

It is fantastic audio and gives a true Carl vocal to compare to the studio version.  I'd give the link but always mess something up.  Cowsill does take a good swing as does Matt at filling those shoes, for that WH lead.  I thank the uploader profusely.  Wink  It is an historic audio recording.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 02:14:42 PM by filledeplage » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2013, 02:25:54 PM »

[...]

Classic stuff.

...and there are still some around who think Mike should write with Brian right?
Nicko1234
« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2013, 02:48:30 PM »

...and there are still some around who think Mike should write with Brian right?

You know, I don't think those are new song lyrics (but I could be wrong).  Grin
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 22, 2013, 02:57:12 PM »

Unless Brian ever wants to write another car/ beach/ girl/ surf song that mentions a hit song title from the 60s in the lyric, then its a case of "Don't call me Mike, I'll call you!" Grin
Nicko1234
« Reply #112 on: April 22, 2013, 02:59:45 PM »

Unless Brian ever wants to write another car/ beach/ girl/ surf song that mentions a hit song title from the 60s in the lyric, then its a case of "Don't call me Mike, I'll call you!" Grin

I think that would depend on what song title Brian suggested to Mike. Last year he gave him Spring Vacation and Beaches in Mind and it was obvious what he was going to get in return (though Mike still has to take the blame for those references clearly). If Brian suggested more serious subjects then there is no reason why he couldn't write more serious lyrics as he did on Unleash the Love.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 03:25:05 PM by Nicko1234 » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2013, 08:05:13 AM »

I think that would depend on what song title Brian suggested to Mike. Last year he gave him Spring Vacation and Beaches in Mind and it was obvious what he was going to get in return (though Mike still has to take the blame for those references clearly).

Don't know if Brian "gave" him the "Beaches in mind" title. But Mike certainly did bring in the middle part of "It's beautiful day", melody and lyric (even including the "Fun fun fun" reference).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 09:22:13 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 23, 2013, 09:18:58 AM »

There is a very classic early concert version live, at around 27:18 on YouTube, under "The Beach Boys Live Detroit, November 17, 1967" ( I saw them on the 27th) and Carl barely has the lyrics down.  Daryl Dragon was at that show. (Boston)

It is fantastic audio and gives a true Carl vocal to compare to the studio version.  I'd give the link but always mess something up.  Cowsill does take a good swing as does Matt at filling those shoes, for that WH lead.  I thank the uploader profusely.  Wink  It is an historic audio recording.

That's on a Beach Boys bootleg set called "A Vocal Element". Wild Honey was played and documented here in Detroit, New York, Boston, and Pissburgh in late November, 1967.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2013, 09:38:20 AM »

That's on a Beach Boys bootleg set called "A Vocal Element". Wild Honey was played and documented here in Detroit, New York, Boston, and Pissburgh in late November, 1967.

Thanks, Mikie for that info.  I vaguely remember Mike saying that the show was being recorded.  And, I keep this for my cheapo streamer, BBTV + Netflix. 

What impresses me, is that as between the M&B version and the 1967 lineup, it is a "no-frills" band.  Except for Daryl Dragon who made them "six" onstage, and a little later, Ed Carter. It worked well.  It is a good snapshot of an 11 song setlist, written on their palms!

It drove me crazy when they did a cover.  11 songs were like a blink!  After sitting through 3 (often really great) acts! 

A frosty Smiley Beer  (beer) for you! Thanks!
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 23, 2013, 09:41:31 AM »

I thank the uploader profusely.  Wink  It is an historic audio recording.

You're quite welcome. Smiley
Jason
« Reply #117 on: April 23, 2013, 09:48:00 AM »

There's a fifth recording from that tour...Washington, D.C. It was right after Detroit, if I remember correctly.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 23, 2013, 09:50:48 AM »

I thank the uploader profusely.  Wink  It is an historic audio recording.

You're quite welcome. Smiley

You get two  Beer Beer  Smiley beers!

Thanks!  Wink

That recording and background info are what exactly what belong in the History of Rock and Roll curricula!  Let the students hear the real deal instead of propaganda.  They could learn so much about how the music was written for the band's voices with Brian's innovative concepts and style and how his band brought it to the public with 5 guys.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 09:51:50 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Jason
« Reply #119 on: April 23, 2013, 09:57:42 AM »

Well, to be fair...the band on those live recordings numbers seven - Dennis, Carl, Michael, Al, Bruce, Daryl Dragon on keyboards and Ron Brown on bass.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2013, 10:16:45 AM »

Well, to be fair...the band on those live recordings numbers seven - Dennis, Carl, Michael, Al, Bruce, Daryl Dragon on keyboards and Ron Brown on bass.

Fair is fair!

Thanks.   Smiley
Nicko1234
« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2013, 10:19:10 AM »

The Detroit show ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMbI-SVtM3I ) is indeed a really cool performance. Interesting to hear the band under-rehearsed.

I actually like Mike's nonsensical patter too.
Cowsii
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 24, 2013, 02:01:19 PM »

Thanks for "Wild honey"! I'm not a fan of Cowsill's singing and this certainly won't change that. But it's nice to see them doing that song. Totten's solo is nice although I kinda wished Bruce would play his cool organ part from the record.

I'm not a fan of my voice either but that was the first time we ever did it. I know. No excuse. The voice is what it is. Christian would sound good on it if he had the range. We'd have to lower way too far... I am generally a back ground singer. I dred singing Darlin, especially after sitting next to Darian when he does it.  sh*t! I sound more like Kermit the frog... oh well I like singing. But I don't want to hear me either. so for those who agree I'm sorry for your misery...
Nicko1234
« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2013, 02:03:46 PM »

I'm not a fan of my voice either but that was the first time we ever did it. I know. No excuse. The voice is what it is. Christian would sound good on it if he had the range. We'd have to lower way too far... I am generally a back ground singer. I dred singing Darlin, especially after sitting next to Darian when he does it.  sh*t! I sound more like Kermit the frog... oh well I like singing. But I don't want to hear me either. so for those who agree I'm sorry for your misery...

No way. I've been at shows in the past where there were gasps of incredulity at how good your voice was on Darlin'. Wild Honey sounds cool too and I think everyone hopes it sticks around in the setlist for a good long time.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 02:07:32 PM by Nicko1234 » Logged
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2013, 02:27:20 PM »

I wasn't there, but loved your voice in the clip, Mr. Cowsill.  I thought it suited the song perfectly. The way you worked the REALLY high parts was masterful. Please continue to sing Wild Honey, at least until I get a chance to make a show!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 30 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx