gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 06:11:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: M & B Tour 2013  (Read 145659 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2013, 08:27:53 PM »

I saw The Beach Boys tonight at The American Music Theater in Lancaster, PA. It was an excellent concert. It was sold out. I paid $75 for a ticket; the hall was small but very nice. Here are some comments:

- The concert started at 7:00 PM and ended at 9:20; there was a twenty minute intermission.
- Mike sounded stronger vocally than he did last year during the C50 tour.
- Bruce did considerably less fixing of his mic and clapping and more singing and playing
- the average age of the audience must've been around 60 years of age
- Scott Totten's guitar was turned up much louder than David Mark's was during last year's tour
- Christian Love was underwhelming
- John Cowsill was excellent drumming and singing; his energy was amazing compared to the rest of the group
- all of the songs were performed like the records in tempo and endings; hardly any of the endings dragged on even a little; they ended abruptly
- they did "Isn't It Time"
- Randall Kirsch sang "Don't Worry Baby"
- "Kokomo" started out strong but faded
- Bruce shouldn't be singing the lead to "Wendy" when Mike is standing right there
- "Good Timin" was well-performed
- most of the time there were only 4 maybe 5 guys singing harmony but it sounded very full; I was pleasantly surprised
- "It's OK" fell flat
- WWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
- no Stamos but Mike did mention him
- it was a seven piece band INCLUDING Mike but the sound was very good; after last year I was skeptical but they pulled it off
- they left the stage at the end, only to come back for one more song/encore - "Fun Fun Fun" - so I thought; so they come back onstage and launch into this scorching version of "Wild Honey" with John Cowsill on lead vocal; flat out best version of the song I ever heard; I sat there stunned; 99% of the audience didn't know what the hell they were listening to

This wasn't the best Beach Boys concert I ever attended but it was the most unique. My eyes were darting all over the place. A lot of different things were happening. And a lot of the same I guess. As I was watching the people clapping and singing and rocking back and forth and forth in their seats, I couldn't help but wonder how many of them were even thinking of Brian or Al or Dave. But a very enjoyable evening nevertheless. I'm glad I went.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 06:12:34 AM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 08:39:20 PM »

Seriously, they did "Wild Honey"?  Wow!

gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 08:40:33 PM »

- they left the stage at the end, only to come back for one more song/encore - "Fun Fun Fun" - so I thought; so they come back onstage and launch into this scorching version of "Wild Honey" with John Cowsill on lead vocal; flat out best version of the song I ever heard; I sat there stunned; 99% of the audience didn't know what the hell they were listening to

For real??

And who sang Brian's lead on Isn't It Time?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 08:55:15 PM »

Seriously, they did "Wild Honey"?  Wow!

After "Surfin USA" they said "good night", were waving good-bye, and left the stage. I was going through all the songs and the only song left to perform was "Fun Fun Fun". I thought it was odd to return to sing just that one song as a single encore. They couldn't have been off the stage more than two minutes when they came back on stage, and Tim  Bonhomme started playing the opening theremin part to "Wild Honey" on his keyboard. I immediately recognized it but couldn't believe it. All of a sudden the entire band launched into it and John Cowsill was incredible. Mike was singing his bass part and playing tambourine; it was surreal. The funny part was seeing these 65-70 year-old people who you just knew had no clue what song they were listening to - but they were clapping along AND dancing along to it. The place was rocking. I'm not kidding. And then they went right into "Fun Fun Fun" and ended the concert. Amazing that they would try something like that. But it worked.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 09:00:43 PM »

Imagine if they had done that on the 50th tour: people would still be talking about it.

I hope someone got video of that.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 09:08:28 PM »

And who sang Brian's lead on Isn't It Time?

I believe it was Randell Kirsch but I'm not 100% sure. It was hard to pick up when John Cowsill was singing because he was wearing a headset which literally blocked his lips, and his long hair was hanging down in front of his face. But I believe Randell handled Brian's part. Obviously Bruce and Mike sang their parts, and Scott sang Al's part. It was a good rendition and was well received by the audience.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 09:42:39 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:04:06 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 10:24:02 PM »

Congrats sheriff!  So happy you saw this. It makes me want to see how Mike and Bruce are spreading their wings and taking the legacy seriously. I only wish that we could enjoy this as part of a unified BB reality, with the band heading back into the studio to cut an album, planning full-group shows in stadiums, etc. That's what's breaking my heart.  But the reality of the live album and the MIC and the hope for more videos of the 50 are sustaining me. So too is the Sheriff's report that some vital and creative shows of BB music are being performed by the road BB (MB) band.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 10:43:09 PM »

I'll pass on any future M&B shows if they swing by me, but it's very cool to hear they did "Wild Honey".

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 11:05:22 PM »

Great write up!  Loved that.

So great that they're doing "Isn't It Time"...that's a nice touch.  "Wild Honey" though..that's madness.  Hope a clip pops up on Youtube.  But judging from the median age of 60...I doubt we'll see it!

I personally dig the M&B band.  I'm a Beach Boy fan, so I'll gladly watch any group of musicians playing Beach Boy music ESPECIALLY if they have Mike Love singing lead.  I saw 6 C50 shows last year and loved every one of them.  With that said, I can still attend a M&B and/or BW solo show without any of them marring the memory of any of the C50 shows I saw.  Too bad many other fans can't.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 11:50:25 PM »

Wow... I can just imagine how great Cowsill must sound on Wild Honey.
As for "Bruce did considerably less fixing of his mic and clapping and more singing and playing" -- this is what I've been saying for a while. Ever since Cowsill switched from keyboards to drums, Bruce has been playing more than he had in the 25 years before that. The reunion tour was the first time in years that his keyboard wasn't necessary, so he went back to the old ways, but he's absolutely essential on the Mike & Bruce shows.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 12:03:24 AM »

WOW!  If that had been me, I probably would've passed out...that would've been surreal to suddenly hear Wild Honey!  Al's group does a great job with it, but M&B have never tried it as far as I know, and it hasn't been performed by the official BB since the 70's.  The only thing that would've been more shocking would be if they finished it off with "It's About Time"!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 12:32:20 AM »

Reading this review makes me want to see the M&B show - but not for $70. Were those the cheap seats?  I would fork over $25-$30.
Nicko1234
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 01:40:31 AM »

Good to hear that they've added Wild Honey and hopefully that will stay in the setlist for a long while. I always thought it was strange that it was the one song from Sounds of Summer not to make the setlist.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 04:23:20 AM »

"Wild Honey"? Shocked Sick. Sure hope this turns up on Youtube.
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 05:49:19 AM »

I'd go see them but not for more than $30. Sounds cool that they did Wild Honey, though.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 05:58:36 AM »

WOW!  If that had been me, I probably would've passed out...that would've been surreal to suddenly hear Wild Honey!  Al's group does a great job with it, but M&B have never tried it as far as I know, and it hasn't been performed by the official BB since the 70's.  The only thing that would've been more shocking would be if they finished it off with "It's About Time"!

Surreal is the word!  I was in shock when I could hear the eerie tannerin intro from Tim, on Saturday in Morristown. Whoa!

"Nah!," I told myself, they weren't doing WH! My bad! Sheriff correctly characterized it as a "scorcher."  It was higher in the setlist, after Rock and Roll Music. It just exploded.  And they all "dead on" accurate with their parts, Randell, Cowsill, all of them, and the thunderous percussion from Cowsill. They had to have rehearsed their butts off.  

Anyone who writes off and underestimates this band takes a very foolish position, who will surely "eat their words, with a fork and spoon." They are on a roll.

Just because the Touring Band has not done some of the deeper catalog, doesn't mean they can't.  That WH version would do Carl proud. Scott Totten is working them hard. And, their enthusiasm seemed an indicator that they are all ready to embrace this newer "old" setlist material. It was incendiary. A preview of coming attractions!

IMHO
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 06:01:41 AM by filledeplage » Logged
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 06:43:41 AM »

That is pretty wild.  Here's hoping they're still feeling adventurous with the set lists when they make their way to my neck of the woods in August.  Has the M&B band ever done Wild Honey?  Come to think of it, when was the last time it was performed?
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 06:45:09 AM »

That is pretty wild.  Here's hoping they're still feeling adventurous with the set lists when they make their way to my neck of the woods in August.  Has the M&B band ever done Wild Honey?  Come to think of it, when was the last time it was performed?

Mike & Bruce have never done it before. Al's band did it in 98/99, don't know if they still do.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 06:50:16 AM »

Mike & Bruce have never done it before. Al's band did it in 98/99, don't know if they still do.

This more experimental setlist, to me, shows a confidence of going out of the wisely-conservative and prudent set list.  Not everyone knows this material.  Spoon-feeding a new-to-them song or two, will likely spur some new downloads or dusting off of the old LP, and generally generate new interest in that era.  They ain't "Yo Mama's" jukebox!  Wink
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 06:58:27 AM »

LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 07:23:07 AM »

Last year in Liverpool in the Cavern (at the I.P.O.)  by Surfs Up  Cool shame can't hear the keyboard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M-iGH2kCu8
Jason
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 09:34:24 AM »

For the record, the five-man backing band has been in place since 2008. And it's about the tightest and best that the Michael and Bruce group has sounded in concert. Go see them.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2013, 10:37:45 AM »

Just wanted to add a couple of more comments that I forgot to add last night:

- they opened with "Do It Again", no "Surfin" tonight
- Scott sang "Ballad Of Ole Betsy"
- they also performed "California Dreamin", "I Can Hear Music", "Getcha BacK", and "Why Do Fools Fall In Love"
- at the end of "God Only Knows", Bruce said "that's for Carl Wilson"; that was the only mention of the other Beach Boys other than a reference to last years' reunion
- Nicko1234 made a good point; I had forgotten that "Wild Honey" was on Sounds Of Summer so I retract my statement that probably nobody was familiar with the song as it was being performed
- Scott did that cool vibrating/stacatto sound on his guitar during "Little Honda"
- during "Barbara Ann" there must've been 20 people on stage; a young kid was standing next to Tim, an attractive girl was standing next next to Christian, a hot babe (who slow danced with Mike during "Surfer Girl") was standing next to Bruce, I think someone was standing next to Randell, and Scott was wailing away - out in the first row - like Jimi Hendrix. And it was funny, but Mike looked like Jim Valvano after winning the NCAA championship; he had nobody to dance with. And all these little kids were running wildly around the stage. It was hilarious.
- Bruce was fan friendly; he ventured to the front of the stage and high-fived, shook hands, and signed some autographs
- no shorts for Bruce, just the ever present baseball hat; he sang "Disney Girls"; Scott played acoustic guitar during the song
- because of the "stripped" sound, everybody in the group is vital, they all play a key role; Mike played a lot of audible tambourine.
- same thing with the vocals, Mike's bass part was exceptionally audible, you can't coast in this lineup
- the saxophone is missed at times especially during "Kokomo", "Sloop", "California Dreamin", and "Shut Down"; if I had one suggestion I would like to hear some horns in the mix
- I don't want to be that hard on Christian Love but I don't think his vocals sound at all like Carl Wilson and I don't think he sings with an energy; also his body language doesn't portray an energy either; he's right up front BUT HE BARELY MOVES!

- to me I was so impressed by John Cowsill's drumming and energy; it was more apparent with this lineup than the C50 lineup; he looked like Marky Ramone!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 12:08:31 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2013, 10:46:27 AM »

From that review of the Lancaster show, it sounds like they really blew the powdered sugar off the funnel cake last night!  Grin

(check out that PA reference... Smiley )

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 30 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx