gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:33:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Photos of Brian, Spring, Tandyn Almer at the Whiskey, 1970  (Read 7175 times)
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2013, 10:07:28 AM »

http://aliphantparts.tumblr.com/post/47185196295/barnabybennett-here-are-some-rare-pictures-of

Last week Barnaby Bennett, a Canadian musician who has recorded some notable latterday-psychedelic sounds - and who was also one of Tandyn Almer's friends on Facebook - posted the seven photos linked above. They show Brian at one of the BBs Whiskey shows in '70, standing at the mike with Tandyn in four pics, and with Marilyn and Diane in two others. 

The pics are pretty interesting because although Tandyn had considerable experience gigging as a sideman playing bass or keyboards, by all reports he was not comfortable singing in front of an audience. 

As is happens, not long before the photos were shot, he was recording a solo album for Warner Brothers, of which only two tracks ever saw release on a 45 - the A-side, "Degeneration Gap," he later put on his Myspace page, and now it's up at Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBfvmHJ0UWs

Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 10:50:37 AM »

Oh man Brian looks out of his mind

Cool pics!

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 10:59:22 AM »

I don't see anywhere where Brian 'looks out of his mind'.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 07:24:26 PM »

Carl as well!!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 07:48:30 PM »

Brian and Tandyn look hashed out.

A discipline daddy.
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 08:53:28 PM »

I don't see anywhere where Brian 'looks out of his mind'.

the 2nd and 3rd-to-last ones

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 09:56:04 PM »

Do the photos really show Tandyn Almer? It´s Ricci Martin, I think!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 02:07:40 AM by Christian » Logged
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 11:26:10 AM »

i have always wondered about these photos. carl has no beard..he had it at big sur in oct. had it during the england dec 1970 tour. so if this is whisky 1970 photos are they really from november? plus other photos of the nov 1970 whisky show have carl with a beard in a different jacket. plus the backdrop is different. just something i have always questioned about these photos being whisky photos (assuming the nov 1970 ones). anyone know? to me these photos are earlier than nov 1970.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 12:42:39 PM »

i have always wondered about these photos. carl has no beard..he had it at big sur in oct. had it during the england dec 1970 tour. so if this is whisky 1970 photos are they really from november? plus other photos of the nov 1970 whisky show have carl with a beard in a different jacket. plus the backdrop is different. just something i have always questioned about these photos being whisky photos (assuming the nov 1970 ones). anyone know? to me these photos are earlier than nov 1970.

These photos, or ones almost identical, have been available previously, and I'm fairly certain this questioin has been addressed by Ian Rusten
Oh, Of Course! What was I thinking, these are all from the Michael Ochs archive...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 12:45:34 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 12:46:56 PM »

These photos, or ones almost identical, have been available previously, and I'm fairly certain this questioin has been addressed by Ian Rusten

yep..have seen the photos for years. if ian talked about this subject i forgot what was said or missed it. age and beer i guess catching up with me...  Smiley

Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 09:37:55 PM »

Here you are:

The photos were taken by Earl Leaf and some appeared in the Sept 1970 Teen Magazine (for which publication Earl wrote a column). He states that the BBs threw a party for their "proteges" The Flame.  After the Flame played a set (there is a photo of this), Brian, Carl, Bruce and Billy Hinsche jammed with Desi Arnaz Jr on Drums and 16 year old Ricci Martin there too. Also taking part were BBs "womenfolk"-including Marilyn Rovell.   Therefore the pics come from sometime in the late summer of 1970 (early Sept at the latest).  Probably the party was to celebrate the completion of The Flame's first LP on Brother.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 09:46:34 PM »

Steady Eddie Carter was there too. One of the pictures from the Whiskey showed him on stage. I think.

Wonder why Ricky & Blondie's framed pictures are sitting on the floor near the stage.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 03:21:07 AM »

Here you are:

The photos were taken by Earl Leaf and some appeared in the Sept 1970 Teen Magazine (for which publication Earl wrote a column). He states that the BBs threw a party for their "proteges" The Flame.  After the Flame played a set (there is a photo of this), Brian, Carl, Bruce and Billy Hinsche jammed with Desi Arnaz Jr on Drums and 16 year old Ricci Martin there too. Also taking part were BBs "womenfolk"-including Marilyn Rovell.   Therefore the pics come from sometime in the late summer of 1970 (early Sept at the latest).  Probably the party was to celebrate the completion of The Flame's first LP on Brother.

thanks for the repost....

MBE
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 04:59:18 PM »

Actually I think Brian is great in these. He seems happy and relaxed. If he had a bit of hash or grass that's not abnormal.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 05:05:14 PM »

The pics were taken in july 1970 at a special show the bbs set up as a showcase for the flame.  From what I've been told the venue was not the whiskey but a defunct club in la called big gus
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2013, 07:47:19 PM »

The place looks more like someone's living room than a live music venue.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx