gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 08:36:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine Appreciation Thread  (Read 7194 times)
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 05:35:31 AM »

Definitely agree that Al's voice is by far the best of the surviving boys. I'd actually put it at second best overall in the history of the band for my tastes (2nd to Carl). He seems friendly and likeable, and his complete and utter misremembering and mangling of historical facts comes off as kind of quirky and almost charming at times.  I also agree that Postcard is better than most people give it credit for. The version of California Feeling on there is a prime example of his strong vocals holding up...it's one of my favorite Al vocals in fact.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Puggal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2013, 02:18:40 PM »

He's so clumsy and forgetful it's kind of cute. :D
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2013, 06:28:37 PM »

Got the Japanese version of Postcards this week, with its multitude of bonus tracks. Played The Eternal Ballad until it's now stuck in my head on a loop! His voice makes it.

However.

My subconscious mix master now takes over the skull iplayer and at the end of each verse adds the lines:

Wake up, call me baby call me
tell me what's on your mi-i-ind
I've got a car and you're not too far
Please let me come over to you

Anyone else see the homage to that Beach Boys classic subtlety contained within the melody?

“We live in divisive times.”
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2013, 08:20:04 PM »

I just have my ancient Android on me or otherwise would link, but if you go on YouTube, there's a video of Alec Baldwin recording Tidepool Interlude in the studio. Now, when recording a rock album, or a pop album anyway, you'd just wear casual clothes, right? In this case wrong...if the clip can be believed, Baldwin recorded his bit in his 30 Rock clothes. Dress shirt, suit, tie -not even loosened- the works. He looks like he's about to walk out of the studio and right onto the set of a Capitol One commercial.

Although it could be that he was, from there, going directly to film something. A true story comes to mind. A member of the lounge revival group Love Jones once told me about when they were recording their second album in the '90s. Right after a take the door to the studio opened and a guy in a rumpled trenchcoat walked in. He looked around, puzzled, with his one good eye, and said: "I'm looking for where they're doing the looping."

"Right down the hall and to the left, Lieutenant," answered one of the band. "Thanks," said Peter Falk, and left. He was doing some dubbing on one of the last Columbo TV movies. I guess he was wearing the coat to stay in character.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2013, 09:06:09 PM »

I love Looking At Tomorrow and Santa Anna Winds. He also reminds me of Benjamin Button.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
halblaineisgood
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2013, 09:42:28 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 12:41:04 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2013, 08:12:59 AM »

Al has by far the best voice of any surviving Beach Boy, and while it's heresy I'd say he has a better voice than Carl did for most of his last twenty years or so as well.
In my experience, Al is the most friendly of the surviving members towards fans.
On the reunion tour, Al was clearly putting in a huge effort on his backing vocals -- it was fascinating watching the concentration on his face as he was singing even the least important parts.
A Postcard From California is a far better album than most people give it credit for.

I'm a great fan of Al too (both the man and his great singing voice), and agree with almost everything written about him in this thread.  However, AH, your comment about Al having a better voice than Carl for most of Carl's last 20 years or so is (for me, anyway) a head-scratcher.  In my opinion, Carl's voice improved as he matured – I started to notice it about the time he was recovering from that dark period in the late '70s.  Carl was a wonderful singer as a teenager and on through his 20s, but was even better later on.  Listen to his leads on songs like GOK and ICHM in the band's concerts throughout the '80s and early '90s.  To me, those vocals, more often than not, bordered on perfection.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2013, 08:40:57 PM »

Al seems like the type of guy, who, if you were really disheveled and trespassing on his land, would sooner cook you breakfast and buy you a bus ticket home, than call the cops. Al Jardine is a good man? I don't know if that's what I'm saying. But I sure as hell don't care though, it's none of your business. None of mine. I appreciate him. That's the only important thing.

He doesn't care what you do or, who you do it with, just, keep it clean, and stay the hell away from Big Sur. He doesn't know what you're doing...and he doesn't care! But he can't have you trespassing. spooking the goshdarn goats. they'll end up on the goshdarn highway. They'll chew through the fence made of hemp, and  they'll escape.

I promise to stay off his land  Wink

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Puggal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2013, 09:30:10 PM »

Can I ask....

How is Al Jardine no longer bald (thinking about the 90s bald-mullet days)?
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2013, 09:36:40 PM »

he's pretty thin on top but he still has Mike Love beat.

now there's something to smile about!
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2013, 10:08:42 PM »

Can I ask....

How is Al Jardine no longer bald (thinking about the 90s bald-mullet days)?
hair plugs

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2014, 01:52:10 AM »

He's still keepin' it clean ya'll. Day by day - day after day.

Postcard From Jardine
Smiley Smile Newbie

In The Court of the Crimson Sunnies

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2014, 01:55:17 AM »

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 09:23:51 AM by Postcard From Jardine » Logged
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2014, 10:21:19 AM »

Al seems like the type of guy, who, if you were really disheveled and trespassing on his land, would sooner cook you breakfast and buy you a bus ticket home, than call the cops. Al Jardine is a good man? I don't know if that's what I'm saying. But I sure as hell don't care though, it's none of your business. None of mine. I appreciate him. That's the only important thing.

He doesn't care what you do or, who you do it with, just, keep it clean, and stay the hell away from Big Sur. He doesn't know what you're doing...and he doesn't care! But he can't have you trespassing. spooking the goshdarn goats. they'll end up on the goshdarn highway. They'll chew through the fence made of hemp, and  they'll escape.

Ran into Al when I was having breakfast at the River Inn in Big Sur back in 2006.  He was great to talk to...really nice and engaged in the convo.  He did mention that he had a couple of sections of fence to fix after the storm that had rolled thru the night before.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2014, 10:55:04 AM »

Cool voice. Honest guy.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx