gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:23:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 50th Anniversary live double CD up for pre-order on Amazon  (Read 96144 times)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: May 23, 2013, 02:57:19 PM »

I've heard a cd copy.....I don't mean to be neurotic, or one of those people you hate on because they complain, but I didn't enjoy it and it isn't better than what I'd thought it would be, as some of you have found. I came to the conclusion that this is kind of like re-recordings of a portion of an artist's catalog 50 years after the fact. On a higher caliber than those crappy K-Tel jobs, but I don't take this seriously as a live recording. I understand that pure live, unadulterated releases don't exist for the most part, and I didn't want one of those anyway.

What I wanted out of this release was a faithful representation of the tour I saw twice, with some minor tweaks and edits to make the guys sound a little better. It goes above and beyond that. I can't believe that someone could possibly enjoy "Add Some Music" with that robot, choppy vocal. Double tracking on a live cd should be at a minimum, it's all over the place here. The fact that they have so many shows recorded and they fly in studio vocals from commercially released tracks MORE THAN ONCE? I take that as an insult to me as a consumer, and more so, a faithful Beach Boys fan. Sorry, if you enjoy it, power to you, it just not be for me.

And if they were gonna edit out anything, they should have taken out Bruce's "Summer Days, Summer Nights" comment at the end of TLGIOK!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 02:59:29 PM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: May 23, 2013, 02:57:41 PM »

Predictions for the Billboard Charts?

I know there is no QVC promotion. TWGMTR was heavily promoted. A few people have written in and said it was hard to find a copy in stores.  Huh

I still think this one could land in the Top 20 album charts. I hope it makes the top 10.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: May 23, 2013, 03:07:05 PM »

And if they were gonna edit out anything, they should have taken out Bruce's "Summer Days, Summer Nights" comment at the end of TLGIOK!

That made me giggle, too, both in him saying it and that it got left in. I'm pretty sure he even says "Summer Days, Summer Nights album!" It's entertaining, at least.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 03:08:27 PM by runnersdialzero! » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: May 23, 2013, 03:37:59 PM »

I was about to comment on Bruce's "Summer Days" statement earlier in the thread, then rescinded it. Techinically, "Little Girl I Once Knew" is a bonus track on the "Today/Summer Days" Capitol two-fer CD.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: May 23, 2013, 03:42:40 PM »

I was about to comment on Bruce's "Summer Days" statement earlier in the thread, then rescinded it. Techinically, "Little Girl I Once Knew" is a bonus track on the "Today/Summer Days" Capitol two-fer CD.

Okay, then he should have shouted "Today/Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)" Capitol two-fer CD!"

I think Bruce's memory was just a bit foggy when he said that. Wasn't him saying that from one of the first few shows?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: May 23, 2013, 03:47:39 PM »

Loooool at 'The Robot Beach Units'. Who wants to be in my Beach Boys tribute band singing Beach Boys songs through vocoders?

Egohanger sums up my more considered thoughts on the album - it's like JT didn't know when to stop. I've heard youtube captures that capture the full grace of the band better than that CD

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: May 23, 2013, 03:49:04 PM »

Okay, then he should have shouted "Today/Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)" Capitol two-fer CD!"

I think Bruce's memory was just a bit foggy when he said that. Wasn't him saying that from one of the first few shows?

4/26 Grand Prairie, TX

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: May 23, 2013, 05:04:16 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMzXiajcNkA
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: May 23, 2013, 05:24:08 PM »

That's the real deal, and its fantastic

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: May 23, 2013, 05:55:31 PM »

Definitely, for me the live album of that tour will be the RAH bootleg!
as for the Get Around video, what is there to say.. some nice fun clips here and there that captures the cool moments of the tour, a bit too much zoom as someone said in the comments but heh, just a random video with live shots to promote that barely "live" album... outch.
OGoldin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: May 23, 2013, 06:39:19 PM »

I'd love to find a way to get all the TV appearances (QVC, and Fallon mostly) or NPR on cd or mp3 as they were great.  Or the Rolling Stone unplugged bit.  That was sublime.  Does anyone have the technology skills to make that happen?  Let me know!  

http://www.totalrecorder.com/

Wonderful program.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #636 on: May 23, 2013, 07:15:30 PM »

Also, just a quick reminder that the NPR version of TLGIOK is the Grand Prairie performance as well. Obviously a pro recording and without Jeff's falsetto climbing up one's eardrum (no offense, Jeff...lol).

Syncs perfectly to that audience recording, too. Smiley

http://www.lukpac.org/~dave/06%20-%20The%20Little%20Girl%20I%20Once%20Knew.mp3
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #637 on: May 23, 2013, 07:17:54 PM »

I'd love to find a way to get all the TV appearances (QVC, and Fallon mostly) or NPR on cd or mp3 as they were great.  Or the Rolling Stone unplugged bit.  That was sublime.  Does anyone have the technology skills to make that happen?  Let me know!  

http://www.totalrecorder.com/

Wonderful program.

My recorder of choice, too. Great piece of software.
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: May 24, 2013, 11:26:10 AM »

I know there is no QVC promotion. TWGMTR was heavily promoted. A few people have written in and said it was hard to find a copy in stores.  Huh

I still think this one could land in the Top 20 album charts. I hope it makes the top 10.

I hate to say it, but I would be shocked if this broke the Top 100.  That's not a knock on the album, I love it. I just don't think it's going to sell much.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: May 24, 2013, 11:31:45 AM »

I'm digging "California Saga" and "All This Is That" tremendously.  Worth the price of the CD alone.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #640 on: May 24, 2013, 12:21:34 PM »

Smething completely different, I'm sorry. But I didn't realize that Al played (at least in Montreal) the intro to "Fun, fun, fun" with Scott Totten:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=AM8HSZVbIbI#t=165s
Ok, on with the other stuff

You can probably find 5 other old threads where I mentioned this, but I saw Al do a gig in 2005 with a small band (Steve Heger's band), and Al played several of the guitar leads on stuff like "Fun Fun Fun" and "409." He's by no means a virtuoso guitarist, but he's a lot better than he usually let's on. It blew my mind a little bit actually.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 12:22:38 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: May 24, 2013, 02:53:00 PM »

Tell me about it!

Al doesn't get nearly the credit he deserves as the very talented rhythm guitar player he is (even around these parts, I've observed), and frankly, I don't really see why.  I know he doesn't get the benefit of having the loudest guitar in the mix, or the camera focused on his guitar so often, but as a player for a couple of decades myself, I find the subtleties of his technique a joy to behold.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #642 on: May 24, 2013, 03:20:03 PM »

Smething completely different, I'm sorry. But I didn't realize that Al played (at least in Montreal) the intro to "Fun, fun, fun" with Scott Totten:

You can probably find 5 other old threads where I mentioned this, but I saw Al do a gig in 2005 with a small band (Steve Heger's band), and Al played several of the guitar leads on stuff like "Fun Fun Fun" and "409." He's by no means a virtuoso guitarist, but he's a lot better than he usually let's on. It blew my mind a little bit actually.

Yeah, I heard about that. He also played the licks on "Sail on sailor" and I think even the solo on "Do it again" while touring with Brian iirc. But I didn't know (or didn't remember) he did play the "Fun, fun, fun" intro. I thought that would've been David's part.
I like Al's playing. He's underrated as hell. And my experience with Beach Boys fans is that when you tell him that he's playing some good, solid stuff, even giving them examples, they just don't want to hear about that.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #643 on: May 24, 2013, 03:24:57 PM »

Speaking of "Fun, Fun, Fun" anyone else catch the "Rhapsody In Blue" quote at the end?

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #644 on: May 24, 2013, 03:30:18 PM »

Speaking of "Fun, Fun, Fun" anyone else catch the "Rhapsody In Blue" quote at the end?

Yeah, that's a hangover from Brian's band I think, I remember them doing it at the RFH for the Gershwin tour, which of course makes total sense there - it's still cool on a wholly BB's show.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: May 24, 2013, 03:38:59 PM »

Scott B. has been playing that riff in Brian's band since some of the first solo shows, I believe.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: May 24, 2013, 03:40:07 PM »

Yeah, that's a hangover from Brian's band I think, I remember them doing it at the RFH for the Gershwin tour, which of course makes total sense there - it's still cool on a wholly BB's show.

They've been doing that all along -- if you watch the Brian Wilson On Tour DVD Scott does it there -- it's something he's added all along.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: May 24, 2013, 04:13:28 PM »

I'm digging "California Saga" and "All This Is That" tremendously.  Worth the price of the CD alone.

WHAT HE SAID!

And, there's a lot on this CD that really rocks!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: May 24, 2013, 05:55:52 PM »

I hate to say it, but I would be shocked if this broke the Top 100.  That's not a knock on the album, I love it. I just don't think it's going to sell much.

Ummm Don't hold your breath , It's currently No4 on Amazon.com  Roll Eyes
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #649 on: May 24, 2013, 06:03:18 PM »

Bruce has got a cool laser sound in his voice on background parts  LOL. zzzzzzzzzzzzz....ap.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx