gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681637 Posts in 27651 Topics by 4085 Members - Latest Member: RZLSommer June 23, 2024, 03:38:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 50th Anniversary live double CD up for pre-order on Amazon  (Read 98355 times)
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 18, 2013, 09:36:51 AM »

And yes, the DVD of 26 songs is now more precious [...]
It wasn't even 26 songs, I think. More like 20 or 22, or something. But yeah, you're right.

It's only MIC to look forward to now [...]
I, for my part, have TLOS-sized hopes in Brian's new studio project. Smiley

21 sorry. BTW: listen to the BBC concert--great banter, sweet things from Mike to Brian, from Bruce to Brian, all the boys teasing Jeff--what a great show. If you want the BB to be all they can be, lock them away from wives and managers and leave them alone to write, play and sing. That hasn't happened yet. May never.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: May 18, 2013, 09:41:30 AM »

Joe Thomas may have made Radio possible, but at what cost to the BB music and to the band itself.

Well, that goes - as it seems - for the live album and DVD. TWGMTR is great and sounds like a Beach Boys album (to quote David Marks).
I don't know if it really is Thomas' fault with the live stuff but I give him credit for supporting and contributing to the last great piece of work the Beach Boys will ever deliver.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 18, 2013, 09:41:48 AM »

[...] listen to the BBC concert--great banter, sweet things from Mike to Brian, from Bruce to Brian, all the boys teasing Jeff--what a great show.
Are you referring to the Radio2 concert?

If you want the BB to be all they can be, lock them away from wives and managers and leave them alone to write, play and sing. That hasn't happened yet. May never.
I agree.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 18, 2013, 09:45:52 AM »

My previous point was that the BBs have never considered a live album sacred and have often re-done vocals, added instruments or even used studio recordings.  Now that they are older and there is more technology at their disposal-they have even more reason to fiddle about.  I agree it is unfortunate-but not surprising to me. 
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 18, 2013, 09:51:49 AM »

My previous point was that the BBs have never considered a live album sacred and have often re-done vocals, added instruments or even used studio recordings.  Now that they are older and there is more technology at their disposal-they have even more reason to fiddle about.  I agree it is unfortunate-but not surprising to me. 

It's not a matter of whether they fiddle about or not though, but about whether the end result sounds good. All the earlier official live releases have (with the exception of the Hallmark CD, and that was at least competent sounding). Lady Lynda on Knebworth has at least three audible Al Jardines, but it still sounds good.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: May 18, 2013, 09:58:07 AM »

Just imagine a Beach Boys live at the royal Albert hall or Hollywood Bowl CD/DVD release.

Yeah, I think Al at one point said that they should just release that complete show

The production of the album sounds like the typical sound of a nowadays TV special or show as i mentioned earlier. No wonder the DVD sounds like that, 'cause that was basically a TV special. But to give a CD that sound. Man... well, whatever. I said that my final judgement will be made after hearing the album a couple of times and that's still true. I hope that it sounds at least a little better than the snippets.
I wonder though if there will be interviews about the live album with Thomas and Brian and if that topic gets mentioned. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 10:07:25 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 18, 2013, 10:15:40 AM »

I wonder though if there will be interviews about the live album with Thomas and Brian and if that topic gets mentioned. 

Yes, Joe Thomas AND Brian Wilson. So far, I've seen all the blame placed with Joe Thomas. But, what about Brian? After the the final mix was done, either Brian approved it, or he didn't care.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 18, 2013, 10:17:06 AM »

Q: What the f*ck is the deal with the recent live album? Why does it sound so horrible? Why the excessive autotune and all that sh*t?
Brian: What live album? What are you talking about? Who are you?

Q: What the f*ck is the deal with the recent live album? Why does it sound so horrible? Why the excessive autotune and all that sh*t?
Joe Thomas: I don't know what you are talking about. Everything you hear is natural. It's the same Brian who did the high parts on "Shelter". Some fans thought that was Foskett. [chuckles] Get a life.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 18, 2013, 10:18:29 AM »

Yes, Joe Thomas AND Brian Wilson. So far, I've seen all the blame placed with Joe Thomas. But, what about Brian? After the the final mix was done, either Brian approved it, or he didn't care.

Or he's a man in his 70s who's deaf in one ear, and presumably thanks to his age and a history of playing gigs with loud amps and inadequate ear protection doesn't have the best hearing in the world, and so isn't really the best person to make those decisions...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: May 18, 2013, 10:22:05 AM »

Or he's a man in his 70s who's deaf in one ear, and presumably thanks to his age and a history of playing gigs with loud amps and inadequate ear protection doesn't have the best hearing in the world, and so isn't really the best person to make those decisions...

True. I had hoped that he lets Jeff, Scott or Darian take a listen and give an opinion but probably not. On the other hand, Brian may think it is a groovy thing

- Jack Rieley
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 18, 2013, 10:36:12 AM »

If the new live 50th Anniversary release was this entire concert, that would be just fine with me!

http://www.npr.org/event/music/154917913/the-beach-boys-in-concert

Oh yeah, and add 'Darlin'".

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 18, 2013, 10:38:40 AM »

Brian's been deaf in one ear for 70 years, it never affected his hearing in the studio before. Loud amps and inadequate ear protection? Wasn't it Brian who was advocating to continue the reunion tour after 70 shows? And, like Rocker said below, and like I'll say now, he could've run the mix by other trusted associates like Jeff or Darian. Either he approved this mix or he didn't care enough to fix it.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #262 on: May 18, 2013, 10:46:59 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:09:57 PM by zatch » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 18, 2013, 11:26:04 AM »

I think so too. They should take at least some of these songs and pop 'em on a formal release. Sound quality is excellent and the notes are right on the mark. Check out Dave Marks' solos on the early songs like Surfin' Safari. Right on the money. Brian's into it and vocals are excellent all over the place. No auto-tune crap needed for this concert - just straight forward all balls out Rock & Roll.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 18, 2013, 11:36:00 AM »

This bit of Don't back Down is also just pure Robo-Mike, especially 'feeeet' and 'not my boys'

Don;t Back Down [Snippett]: http://soundcloud.com/moar-freddie/dont-back-down-live-snippett

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 18, 2013, 12:09:54 PM »

This bit of Don't back Down is also just pure Robo-Mike, especially 'feeeet' and 'not my boys'

Don;t Back Down [Snippett]: http://soundcloud.com/moar-freddie/dont-back-down-live-snippett

Oh, man.

Is there anyone here who thinks that's acceptable?  Does anyone enjoy that?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 18, 2013, 12:23:24 PM »

Do It Again has awful autotune. Even I will admit to that, but everything else is listenable to my ears and I listened on my Bose system through When I Grow Up (16). I will get back as I get more time to listen to the rest. As mentioned before, my biggest complaint is that the music feels muted or something. I feel bad for Dave Marks and John Cowsill. The lead guitar and drums should be louder. They seem to be mixed too low for a live show. Some songs feel as though the live pizzazz of a concert has been taken away.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 18, 2013, 12:31:16 PM »

Brian's been deaf in one ear for 70 years, it never affected his hearing in the studio before. Loud amps and inadequate ear protection? Wasn't it Brian who was advocating to continue the reunion tour after 70 shows? And, like Rocker said below, and like I'll say now, he could've run the mix by other trusted associates like Jeff or Darian. Either he approved this mix or he didn't care enough to fix it.

Sadly, I'm sure it's the second. The PS Live CD (not the DVD) is awful, and he didn't give a fig. That was 11 years ago now. I'm sure that Brian -- when he cares -- cares only about studio stuff.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 18, 2013, 12:33:25 PM »

Do It Again has awful autotune. Even I will admit to that, but everything else is listenable to my ears and I listened on my Bose system through When I Grow Up (16). I will get back as I get more time to listen to the rest. As mentioned before, my biggest complaint is that the music feels muted or something. I feel bad for Dave Marks and John Cowsill. The lead guitar and drums should be louder. They seem to be mixed too low for a live show. Some songs feel as though the live pizzazz of a concert has been taken away.

There are good parts to the set. Don't get me wrong. It's just that the bad bits are so distracting -- at least for now -- that it's kind of hard to take the temperature of the whole thing.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 18, 2013, 12:58:11 PM »

Holy crap, I thought that was a joke at first. Damn. It actually does sound like a studio overdub. There's hardly any ambiance to the vocal at all.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: May 18, 2013, 12:59:27 PM »

If the new live 50th Anniversary release was this entire concert, that would be just fine with me!

Well, they used the car medley from the Sirius concert for the NPR collection IIRC. I think the shows from later in the tour would be best since they used such a strange effect on Brian's voice for the early part (and songs like Cal. Girls sounded much even better later).
"Darlin'" was great. Darian has a great voice and I also loved Scott Totten on BOOB and Jeff on DWB. In fact theoretically each guy of the band would have deserved a moment in the spotlight for the great job he'd done. But I can understand that they wanted only Beach Boy leads on the CD.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 01:22:52 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 18, 2013, 01:10:24 PM »

I apologize for going off-topic, but if there are any Stooges fans out there, click on the above link that Mikie provided, then scroll down a little bit, and there's a recent, 45 minute set by The Stooges. Iggy and his band are in great form! OK, back to critiquing the new live CD. I still don't have it, but I'm taking all the info in.... Evil
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 18, 2013, 01:19:27 PM »

Hi Mikie,

I may be stating common knowledge information here, but I'll just clarify that the NPR Concert, at the very least, is culled from a variety of sources. For example, Good Vibrations and the Car Medley are lifted directly from the earlier Sirius-Artist Confidential radio concert. Mixed a little differently though. More "large hall" reverb for starters. Do It Again, TWGMTR and Isn't It Time are pretty heavily doctored with the standard studio sounds as well. Also, Sail On Sailor is the same performance as the Front Row Center special, and for the first couple of verses the same as the iTunes "Chicago" version (it starts to deviate on the final verse). On the other hand, for example, something like "Help Me Rhonda" is just a straight mixdown of the Grand Prairie, TX show (it briefly falls out of sync with the audience recording I have, but it's the exact same performance, and it appears to be unfutzed with. Very nice!).

All that said, from the samples I've heard of the new CD, that NPR thing is infinitely more listenable. Ditto for the Chiba show, which while appearing to be sweetened/manipulated in places, sounds more natural and very nice for the most part. On the new CD, the auto-tuning sounds very mechanical and robotic. I haven't played with the Antares plug-in in years, but I can't remember hearing anything this bad and amateurish, no matter how much those notes were initially missed by. Something in the settings?

For me, I think that I'll make my own personal live 2-CD set culled from the best of everything that we have. I suppose one positive way to look at events is that we did get a variety of pro, radio and TV recordings to work with. Some warts and all (Mermaid, the live TV performances). Some doctored beyond recognition at times (the new release, the DVD). And things in between. Could be quite a challenge...though it might be fun to see what other people come up with for their own custom "live" compilations! 

PS - I just have to say again, so we don't ever forget: How amazing and pure was that unplugged Rolling Stone performance? If the powers-that-be know what's good for them (lol!), they'll license that version of Surfer Girl and close off the new box set with it....right after Summer's Gone!  Smiley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: May 18, 2013, 01:24:11 PM »

How amazing and pure was that unplugged Rolling Stone performance?

Yeah, that one is fantastic!! Would love to hear more of it. But it wasn't that "pure" either, for completness.

- Jack Rieley
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 18, 2013, 01:32:47 PM »

How amazing and pure was that unplugged Rolling Stone performance?

Yeah, that one is fantastic!! Would love to hear more of it. But it wasn't that "pure" either, for completness.

Well, I was simply referring to the fact that one could easily enjoy each of the core BBs voices distinctly, cleanly and "purely" in the mix. A throwback to the early days. Like a comfortable glove. Mike center. Brian center-left. Bruce left. Al right. Smiley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 28 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx