gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
682048 Posts in 27674 Topics by 4096 Members - Latest Member: MrSunshine September 28, 2024, 03:23:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 50th Anniversary live double CD up for pre-order on Amazon  (Read 108797 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 16, 2013, 08:01:51 PM »

Joe Thomas's main job these day is producing live concerts for television. This should be right up his alley.

Clearly something else went rather seriously awry.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 16, 2013, 09:33:01 PM »

This is really great news.  Can't wait for it.

But I'm NOT looking forward to hearing all the auto-tuned/overdubbed stuff they'll no doubt put on top of the performances.  Sigh....

I hear ya. If it is anything like the DVD that came out then this will be the only Live BB album not in my collection. The sound grates that much to me. Like most here, I caught the band in concert last year and have listened to the Chiba concert online, and the world did not end due to any so called inferior sound.

Please Capitol...don't mess this up!

Well going by the reports here, they have. Well done Capitol!

Sure, I'll buy it cause I'm a sap but most likely its the Chiba and Mermaid Theatre concerts that will get the most plays. A sad way to sign off the C50.

Mermaid? Is this a soundboard recording too? Any chance I can find a copy?

Admin...delete if breaking any rules.

http://www.tribalmixes.com/torrent/79778-The-Beach-Boys-In-Concert-From-The-Mermaid-In-London-BBC-Radio-2-SAT-24-09-2012-SC

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 16, 2013, 10:15:15 PM »

But I'm NOT looking forward to hearing all the auto-tuned/overdubbed stuff they'll no doubt put on top of the performances.  Sigh....

I hear ya. If it is anything like the DVD that came out then this will be the only Live BB album not in my collection. The sound grates that much to me. Like most here, I caught the band in concert last year and have listened to the Chiba concert online, and the world did not end due to any so called inferior sound.

Sure, I'll buy it cause I'm a sap but most likely its the Chiba and Mermaid Theatre concerts that will get the most plays. A sad way to sign off the C50.

http://www.tribalmixes.com/torrent/79778-The-Beach-Boys-In-Concert-From-The-Mermaid-In-London-BBC-Radio-2-SAT-24-09-2012-SC

PF, any way to get this without surrendering my first born to the torrent monster?I tried a facebook login, but they want to access too much personal data. Thanks fro the effort.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: May 16, 2013, 10:15:50 PM »

Next time mix it in Doubly...

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 16, 2013, 10:51:55 PM »

mrmoustachioto, please tell me they didn't autotune the sh*t out of Dennis and Carl on Forever and GOK Tongue

Nope, they are safe. And it makes you realise how bad everyone else sounds with robo mode.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: May 16, 2013, 10:52:08 PM »

I can't imagine even the most casual of Beach Boys fans feeling let down if there wasn't autotune on the disc, it's not like he's Ke$ha, he can actually sing.

Ke$ha can sing too; the autotune on her vocals on her first album was an artistic decision.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 17, 2013, 12:35:17 AM »

PF, any way to get this without surrendering my first born to the torrent monster?I tried a facebook login, but they want to access too much personal data. Thanks fro the effort.

Ok. Lets try this.

http://www.melodycenta.com/The-Beach-Boys/In-Concert-From-The-Mermaid-In-London-Bbc-Radio-2-Sat-24-09-mp3/download-9626082
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 17, 2013, 01:19:01 AM »

It's not the boys fault. They have no idea how a live album should sound these days.

That doesn't really add up. A live album should sound like a band performing. I know it's ultimately probably a lot less to do with the five guys in the band and their decisions, but still, how can they accept and/or approve of what they're hearing and sign off on it being sent out to the public? Surely most/all of them of them realize how ill-fitting this sort of thing is for them? How it makes them look pathetic to people who don't know better?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 01:20:58 AM by runnersdialzero! » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Nicko1234
« Reply #183 on: May 17, 2013, 01:26:30 AM »

I don't think it's true to say that the group members don't know what a live album should sound like. There's nothing wrong with the sound on Al's live album for example.

I can understand why they felt they had to do something with Mike's and Brian's vocals in particular. Mike's voice is thinner than in the past and Brian sounds very weak on some of the songs on the youtube clips. What I don't understand is why it all sounds so lifeless and 'not live'.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 02:05:03 AM by Nicko1234 » Logged
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 17, 2013, 01:59:40 AM »

The other thing is, people are acting as though this is all about Brian's vocals.

It's not.

Mike is tuned far worse in several spots. He sounds like Cher!

Just like on the Knebworth 1980 DVD, then.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 17, 2013, 04:09:01 AM »

Wouldn't It Be Nice, Good Vibrations and California Girls make for the most robotic Threesome I've ever heard!

Also: have a sample of 21 seconds of Heroes and Villains: http://soundcloud.com/moar-freddie/h-v-snippett

That is processed to hell.

To be honest if that is indicative of the actual product I will be sending mine back. It is unlistenable.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 17, 2013, 06:28:55 AM »

It is extremely variable. There are a fair number of tunes without noticeable processing.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 17, 2013, 06:58:24 AM »

Wouldn't It Be Nice, Good Vibrations and California Girls make for the most robotic Threesome I've ever heard!

Also: have a sample of 21 seconds of Heroes and Villains: http://soundcloud.com/moar-freddie/h-v-snippett

That is processed to hell.

To be honest if that is indicative of the actual product I will be sending mine back. It is unlistenable.

I'm thinking this too..

If this is the crap they think they can put out, why the hell should we buy it.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 17, 2013, 07:50:59 AM »

The un-tuned tunes are few and far between.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 17, 2013, 08:17:26 AM »

Maybe that is the holdup with the box set; they are autotuning every song being placed on it. Wink

You guys CRY WOLF so much. To my ears TWGMTR was not nearly as bad sounding as you all made it out to be. The same can be said  for the C50 shows, as well. There, but not noticeable to anyone in attendance.

Thank you all the same, but I'll decide for myself, with my own ears.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 08:18:33 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: May 17, 2013, 08:38:03 AM »

You guys CRY WOLF so much. To my ears TWGMTR was not nearly as bad sounding as you all made it out to be.

I'm absolutely with you on that (TWGMTR) but the snippet of H&V is really terrible...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 17, 2013, 08:44:02 AM »

You guys CRY WOLF so much. To my ears TWGMTR was not nearly as bad sounding as you all made it out to be.

I'm absolutely with you on that (TWGMTR) but the snippet of H&V is really terrible...
And so did the TWGMTR single that was posted to Youtube. I remember when TLOS was first posted online a week or two before release, that sounded like sh*t. Brian sounded terrible. Yet the CD sounded nothing like it. It was like night and day.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 17, 2013, 09:05:18 AM »

Maybe that is the holdup with the box set; they are autotuning every song being placed on it. Wink

I don't have particularly sensitive hearing, but the autotune on That's Why God Made The Radio is absolutely horrible. It ruins From There To Back Again, which would otherwise be a lovely little song, for me.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: May 17, 2013, 09:30:32 AM »

I think my reaction can be best summed up like this...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: May 17, 2013, 09:57:34 AM »

Previews for all the songs:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/Beach-Boys-Live-The-50th-Anniversary-Tour/hnum/3566959

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 17, 2013, 10:12:56 AM »

Well that doesn't sound so bad.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 17, 2013, 10:14:27 AM »

And so did the TWGMTR single that was posted to Youtube. I remember when TLOS was first posted online a week or two before release, that sounded like sh*t. Brian sounded terrible. Yet the CD sounded nothing like it. It was like night and day.

That sample is taken right from my CD. THAT is how it sounds.

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 17, 2013, 10:16:41 AM »

Well that doesn't sound so bad.

Eh I can see what the folks are driving at especially when it comes to Brian.  "Add Some Music To Your Day" sounds like it's an abomination.  Still I'll wait until I can get the set in my hot little hands and put it into my car stereo with the top down to see if the set really isn't as tolerable as some suggest.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 17, 2013, 10:33:40 AM »

You guys CRY WOLF so much. To my ears TWGMTR was not nearly as bad sounding as you all made it out to be. The same can be said  for the C50 shows, as well. There, but not noticeable to anyone in attendance.

Thank you all the same, but I'll decide for myself, with my own ears.

That's basically where I'm at, too. I'm gonna wait and hear the entire package and digest it and then decide. Capitol Records probably figures that a decent percentage of the people who purchased TWGMTR will buy this one? So, they had to make sure that these guys sound like those guys.

I don't mind autotune as much as others. To me, it does what it is supposed to do, correct the flaws. And quite frankly, I can't take much more of Brian Wilson's shouting off-key vocals. If there is anybody who autotune is made for, it's Brian Wilson. I don't mind them being corrected, and, apparently, neither does Brian.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: May 17, 2013, 10:40:20 AM »

Judging from those short snippets it almost sounds like Al was the only one who really was at a live show. What a contrast to hear the sound of his voice and that of Mike and especially Brian. I'm sure there wasn't very much studio overdubbing by the boys except for maybe Brian. But there are no dynamics, at least it sounds like that. The way the audience's cheers are brought up at stupid moments and the dynamic-less vocal production make this sound just like one of those "live" saturday night TV shows on german TV (I don't know about other countries' TV). Unfortunately that is the way many live performances sound today.
Brian has a very, very strange sound on most samples. It's not necessarily autotune but something that tries to imitate vocal doubling. I believe he had that sound on stage early on the tour which makes me believe that the songs they performed early come from the first concerts (plus Jeff is not singing "...we find" on Good Vibrations).

My final judgement will come after having listened to the whole album more than once. But my expectations aren't as high anymore as the tour promised.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 28 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx