gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681101 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 07:03:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 50th Anniversary live double CD up for pre-order on Amazon  (Read 97350 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: May 18, 2013, 01:37:41 PM »

How amazing and pure was that unplugged Rolling Stone performance?

Yeah, that one is fantastic!! Would love to hear more of it. But it wasn't that "pure" either, for completness.

Well, I was simply referring to the fact that one could easily enjoy each of the core BBs voices distinctly, cleanly and "purely" in the mix. A throwback to the early days. Like a comfortable glove. Mike center. Brian center-left. Bruce left. Al right. Smiley

Absolutely. I'm totally with you on that. Those three songs we got from that show were probably the best official live footage of C50 and still blow my mind. Also whatever was done was done tastefully. I'd like to know what else was played. There was an audience so I guess it wasn't just for three songs (minus the solo in Surfin' USA).

EDIT:

I'm still not sure if DIA is the same version as on the NPR recordings, but "Surfin' USA" seems to be the same recording (listen for Mike's laughing around "planing our route")
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 01:46:23 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 18, 2013, 01:49:11 PM »

Got the CD today. Why does Heroes & Villains sound so awful? I have a hunch it's because it has Brian vocals fromBWPS flown in...
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 18, 2013, 01:52:02 PM »

This bit of Don't back Down is also just pure Robo-Mike, especially 'feeeet' and 'not my boys'

Don;t Back Down [Snippett]: http://soundcloud.com/moar-freddie/dont-back-down-live-snippett

Oh, man.

Is there anyone here who thinks that's acceptable?  Does anyone enjoy that?

No.

It's utterly disgusting and those responsible should not hold an executive position for anything related to music in the future.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 18, 2013, 01:57:41 PM »

Absolutely. I'm totally with you on that. Those three songs we got from that show were probably the best official live footage of C50 and still blow my mind. Also whatever was done was done tastefully. I'd like to know what else was played. There was an audience so I guess it wasn't just for three songs (minus the solo in Surfin' USA).

All I can say is that...I'd be all over that like a fly to you-know-what if anything else ever surfaced...lol. If there were ever a performance that left the listener wanting more, I'd say that one certainly qualified! What we got was short....but oh so sweet.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 18, 2013, 02:04:32 PM »

Got the CD today. Why does Heroes & Villains sound so awful? I have a hunch it's because it has Brian vocals fromBWPS flown in...

I would doubt that very strongly. Different record companies, different owners of the recordings, different mixer/engineer teams.
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 18, 2013, 02:12:13 PM »

True.  I am quite confident it's a studio recording at the least.

Hey, they used Dennis' and Carls vocals too from older recordings and those sound great. Very nice addition: at the shows I attended I didn't see or hear the video tributes.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 18, 2013, 02:20:01 PM »

Hey, they used Dennis' and Carls vocals too from older recordings and those sound great. Very nice addition: at the shows I attended I didn't see or hear the video tributes.

I'd hope it would sound better if it was a studio recording, frankly. But however it came together, the H&V is ghastly.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 18, 2013, 02:23:49 PM »

True.  I am quite confident it's a studio recording at the least.

I'd hope it would sound better if it was a studio recording, frankly. But however it came together, the H&V is ghastly.

If it weren't artificially double-tracked [or doubled tracked at all], it would be okay.

i feel like i should put up a good sample... Any requests?

No Autotune here!: http://soundcloud.com/moar-freddie/whhhheeeeennn

However, have something nasty here:

I Get Around [Final Chorus Snippett]: http://soundcloud.com/moar-freddie/i-get-around-live-snippett
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 02:38:32 PM by mrmoustachioto » Logged

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 18, 2013, 02:38:40 PM »

If the new live 50th Anniversary release was this entire concert, that would be just fine with me!

http://www.npr.org/event/music/154917913/the-beach-boys-in-concert

Oh yeah, and add 'Darlin'".

Hi Mikie,

I may be stating common knowledge information here, but I'll just clarify that the NPR Concert, at the very least, is culled from a variety of sources. For example, Good Vibrations and the Car Medley are lifted directly from the earlier Sirius-Artist Confidential radio concert. Mixed a little differently though. More "large hall" reverb for starters. Do It Again, TWGMTR and Isn't It Time are pretty heavily doctored with the standard studio sounds as well. Also, Sail On Sailor is the same performance as the Front Row Center special, and for the first couple of verses the same as the iTunes "Chicago" version (it starts to deviate on the final verse). On the other hand, for example, something like "Help Me Rhonda" is just a straight mixdown of the Grand Prairie, TX show (it briefly falls out of sync with the audience recording I have, but it's the exact same performance, and it appears to be unfutzed with. Very nice!).

All that said, from the samples I've heard of the new CD, that NPR thing is infinitely more listenable. Ditto for the Chiba show, which while appearing to be sweetened/manipulated in places, sounds more natural and very nice for the most part. On the new CD, the auto-tuning sounds very mechanical and robotic. I haven't played with the Antares plug-in in years, but I can't remember hearing anything this bad and amateurish, no matter how much those notes were initially missed by. Something in the settings?

For me, I think that I'll make my own personal live 2-CD set culled from the best of everything that we have. I suppose one positive way to look at events is that we did get a variety of pro, radio and TV recordings to work with. Some warts and all (Mermaid, the live TV performances). Some doctored beyond recognition at times (the new release, the DVD). And things in between. Could be quite a challenge...though it might be fun to see what other people come up with for their own custom "live" compilations! 

PS - I just have to say again, so we don't ever forget: How amazing and pure was that unplugged Rolling Stone performance? If the powers-that-be know what's good for them (lol!), they'll license that version of Surfer Girl and close off the new box set with it....right after Summer's Gone!  Smiley

Agree with what you said, Dave. And only after a couple of listens did I realize the NPR 'concert' was edited and culled from a few different shows. Don't think the average Joe off the street would realize that. And if there was doctoring done, it was done with good taste, and not messed up. I know somebody will come along and compile a 'Best of' live CD/DVD if they haven't done so already. A Youtube compilation would be nice too!  Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 18, 2013, 02:45:31 PM »

If it weren't artificially double-tracked [or doubled tracked at all], it would be okay.

How about when the audience applause is spliced in around 2/3 of the way in? Awful!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: May 18, 2013, 02:48:47 PM »

How about when the audience applause is spliced in around 2/3 of the way in? Awful!

What, about 20 times in the whole CD?  Grin

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 18, 2013, 02:59:52 PM »

This bit of Don't back Down is also just pure Robo-Mike, especially 'feeeet' and 'not my boys'

Don;t Back Down [Snippett]: http://soundcloud.com/moar-freddie/dont-back-down-live-snippett

Oh, man.

Is there anyone here who thinks that's acceptable?  Does anyone enjoy that?

That doesn't sound like Mike. Sounds more like some Adrian Baker retread. Awful.

“We live in divisive times.”
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 18, 2013, 03:05:47 PM »

For a group famous for their vocals, this is a travesty. I never made it to any C50 shows, and thus I was really looking forward to this release. But judging from the samples, this is absolute shite and I probably won't buy it. Live recordings are about sincerity: We're supposed to hear every screwup, every missed note, every beautiful harmony, every moment of energy. But the voice modulation/manipulation rips apart the soul of these live performances. Trying to make The Beach Boys sound like Nicki Minaj or Justin Bieber makes them sound ridiculous.

Ya know, some of us SmileySmilers should compile the best live songs from the C50 (culled from different sources), touch them up if we can (add EQ, etc), and, well, leave the rest to the imagination. We deserve to hear some great performances in album form.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 18, 2013, 03:15:02 PM »

For a group famous for their vocals, this is a travesty. I never made it to any C50 shows, and thus I was really looking forward to this release. But judging from the samples, this is absolute shite and I probably won't buy it. Live recordings are about sincerity: We're supposed to hear every screwup, every missed note, every beautiful harmony, every moment of energy. But the voice modulation/manipulation rips apart the soul of these live performances. Trying to make The Beach Boys sound like Nicki Minaj or Justin Bieber makes them sound ridiculous.

Ya know, some of us SmileySmilers should compile the best live songs from the C50 (culled from different sources), touch them up if we can (add EQ, etc), and, well, leave the rest to the imagination. We deserve to hear some great performances in album form.

I'd be up for that

Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 18, 2013, 04:41:03 PM »

Also: have a sample of 21 seconds of Heroes and Villains: http://soundcloud.com/moar-freddie/h-v-snippett

What do you guys think about this? Here's the Chiba version of H&V, slightly time manipulated to match the new CD release version. Other than the robo-autotune on the new version, they *almost* sound as if they were derived from the same performance (studio? truly live?). A few of the words are clipped by Brian the same way, though there's one pitch dip on one of those clipped words that doesn't exist on the new CD version. Could that just be the autotune "seeing the dip" and straightening the pitch out? There's also another word where the attack seems slightly stronger on one of the versions, but again, I can't tell if that's just the processing masking it on the other one. In any event, they're awfully damned close save for the robo-effect on the new version. If they're not related at all, well...

It also seems to me that there was *something* done to that Chiba version, as the pitch seems a little too artificial and perfect. Those first vocal notes in particular almost sound like they were "bended up" or fixed, and there seems to be a few other subtle artifacts. There's a handful of other examples of studio bits in this concert, so I don't *think* this was broadcast as a live, as-it-happened pay-per-view, but rather, perhaps, a post-produced one. Though, any work done was nowhere near as blatant or unsettling as the new robo-version. Then again, I could be wrong, and they simply could've worked those studio bits into the live broadcast (e.g. the a capella intro to Isn't It Time). I'm leaning more toward the former though, as this almost seems professionally mixed after-the-fact.

Also, being that I've noticed a lot of digital tempo stretching/time compression going on in the BB Universe as of late, as noted, I had to digitally tempo match these tracks. Don't try syncing them though, as it was only a very rough adjustment, and thus, they won't stay in sync. They're simply closer now. I'm more concerned about whether or not the lead vocal has a common lineage.

I also included the warts-and-all Mermaid version to show what the H&V truly sounds like, live, without any kind of manipulation. Brian's as flat as a pancake, vocally, but....

Again, I'm just curious if other people think there might be some common lineage between the vocal on the Chiba and the new 2-CD version -- using Mr. Moustachioto's Soundcloud sample as the new CD reference. My old and tired ears honestly can't tell for sure.  Smiley

Any comments welcome.

The new CD version (courtesy of Mr. Moustachioto):

http://soundcloud.com/moar-freddie/h-v-snippett

H&V - Chiba:

http://lukpac.org/~dave/Heroes%20And%20Villains%20-%20Chiba,%20Japan%20-%208-16-2012%20-%20Tempo%20Manipulated.mp3

And for a completely different, no common lineage, warts and all performance from The Mermaid:

http://lukpac.org/~dave/Heroes%20And%20Villains%20-%20Mermaid%20Theatre%20-%209-24-2012.mp3
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 07:08:33 PM by Dave Modny » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 18, 2013, 04:46:15 PM »

Aqua Mike!!! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 18, 2013, 06:18:47 PM »

Good god that is truly an abomination.

I'm buying the CD to support the boys then burying it in my backyard.

Everyone involved in the production of this CD should be blacklisted from music. And yes I know Brian's name is on the CD but he had nothing to do with it.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 18, 2013, 06:25:28 PM »

Please do that.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 18, 2013, 06:59:36 PM »

No Autotune here!: http://soundcloud.com/moar-freddie/whhhheeeeennn

However, have something nasty here:

I Get Around [Final Chorus Snippett]: http://soundcloud.com/moar-freddie/i-get-around-live-snippett

No Cottonfields....but 30 plus  seconds of WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.
Ughh
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 18, 2013, 07:12:23 PM »

Ya know, I have a theory...
*everything after this is complete bullshit*

At the beginning of C50, everything was auto tuned to hell. We bitched, sure, but regardless of whether or not that had any effect, that changed part way through the tour. But I swear to God, I always thought that Brian's vocals still sounded off, and I thought I heard some kind of double tracking type effect (I attended two shows)

Could the live mix have included both a "dry" track, straight from the mics (more or less) as well as a separate processed/auto tuned lead vocal track?

I hope I'm making myself clear. I just feel that the techniques used to generate a good live sound might be hard to translate to a self contained release.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 07:18:05 PM by MarcellaHasDirtyFeet » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 18, 2013, 07:36:27 PM »

Possible. But it seems unlikely to me. The two shows I saw, Brian was loud in the mix and dry as a bone.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 18, 2013, 08:43:10 PM »

Some of the live cuts have already shown up on youtube, check this user's vids for more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnESAlEcESk

Don't Back Down has a massive amount of autoutune, Safari sounds much better and has far less. Go figure.

Not the version(s) on the new live cd. Oops. Still autotuned, though!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 06:58:41 AM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 18, 2013, 08:48:43 PM »

Some of the live cuts have already shown up on youtube, check this user's vids for more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnESAlEcESk

Don't Back Down has a massive amount of autoutune, Safari sounds much better and has far less. Go figure.

That's the worst tuning job I've ever heard. They got Foskett hitting all sorts of wrong notes. It's like they just slapped the auto-tune plug in on there at "zero retune" (most robotic sound, for those aren't familiar with the plugin) without even considering what the right notes are in the melody. Ahhh. So friggin frustrating.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 18, 2013, 08:55:15 PM »

J-Thomas could learn a thing or two from J-Hype.

Robo-Brian:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwTx-BVPJOw

Doesn't sound remotely live, either.

Apparently, this is not the version on the new live disc. Sowwy.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 06:57:48 AM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 18, 2013, 08:57:47 PM »

Guys. Joe "Dave" Thomas "Of Wendy's" is a busy guy. Farmin' that hair into impossible shapes. You can't just expect him to take the time to make the human voice sound like a human voice.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 28 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx