gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 06:48:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do YOU most want to see in Brian's upcoming biopic?  (Read 24498 times)
Pet Sounder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2013, 05:55:19 PM »

Once again we'll be exposed to an attempt to dramatize all of the creativity and craziness that is BW.  Let's say they nail him this time.  What moments must you see committed to film?  I'd love:

-Brian taking his time to turn a feel into a song at the piano

-Brian splicing tape for something from Smile (showing how arduous the editing process was)

-Brian, Carl and Dennis recording the backing track for That's Not Me

Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 05:58:02 PM »

I'd love to see them discussing how the hard work for  the "Made In California" box set really paid off...

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 06:22:54 PM »

- Some scenes about his failure to win over his highschool love Carol even after becoming a huge Pop icon.
- Drip Drop recording....seriously. If you saw Paul Dano in There Will Be Blood, you can't deny that this scene would be epic.

@Pet Sounder, that tape splicing idea would be great to see in this film!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 07:13:46 PM »

a real long shot there, but nice call!

i'm pretty disappointed with the choice of Dano as Brian. hope he surprises me

as for me I'd like to see

Brian's interactions with John and Paul, leading Alice Cooper and Iggy Pop in endless rounds of Shortenin' Bread,  and judo-kicking Elvis
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 07:18:51 PM by bossaroo » Logged
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 08:55:27 PM »

I'd love to see his first time hearing Strawberry Fields Forever. That scene in itself can sum up Smile's collapse for the audience.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 08:58:41 PM »

Everything that's skimmed over whenever someone who only has minimum, remote knowledge of BW tries to sum up his career

This movie needs to be at least close to 3 hours long, or else it's not worth doing.
Otherwise, it'll be:
Scene one, Brian is raised by jerk dad Murry.
Scene two, Brian performs surf tunes.
Scene three, Brian goes to the studio and twirls knobs.
Scene four, Brian records Pet Sounds.
Scene four, Brian goes to bed.
Scene five, Brian gets out for about five minutes in the '80s, then goes back to bed.
Scene six, Brian gets out of bed for good and is performing happily today. (:

Boring. What about the scene that shows what exactly he did in the studio and also establishes why he was distinguished among his contemporaries? What about the obsession with Be My Baby and why someone would be attracted to the record? What about his competition with The Beatles presented in a way that doesn't seem dubious to the average 20something watching? What about all the other misconceptions people hold about the band, will they be corrected or minimized for the sake of a movie? What about the hours he spent talking into a tape recorder about vegetables? What about his other antics between 1967 and 1988? What about the dildos?

I want all the grey areas committed to film. I don't care how trite it is, this stuff is far more entertaining than the fact that Manson wrote one of the band's songs. And I want it done artfully and with taste.

I'd love to see his first time hearing Strawberry Fields Forever. That scene in itself can sum up Smile's collapse for the audience.
Basically a movie that is the opposite of this mindset.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 08:59:56 PM by kappa » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 09:18:38 PM »

I don't care, as long as its produced by ontor pertawst I will be happy!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 09:28:30 PM »

Basically a movie that is the opposite of this mindset.

Realistically, though, we're not going to get a three-hour in-depth character study of Brian Wilson. Long periods of time are going to be skipped over, and a time period as complex as 1966-7 where whole movies can be made about that alone have to be distilled into short scenes like that. I liked the Strawberry Fields anecdote because it encapsulates many of Brian's issues about Smile: the competition that went into it, outside forces' role in shelving it, and Brian's emotional insecurities that ultimately hurt the project the most.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 09:43:01 PM »

There needs to be a 15-minute-long scene of him sitting next to his home jukebox listening to "Be My Baby" over and over. I will be outraged if this pivotal moment is left unaccounted for!
halblaineisgood
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 09:55:32 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:18:05 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 10:12:07 PM »

A) Murry breaking plate on Brian's head; Brian shitting in Murry's ear
B) Van Dyke reciting the Gettysburg Address in pig Latin
C) no half hour of Brian playing Be My Baby over and over, no deal
D) Dennis throwing beer bottle at Mike (repeat 100 times and that would be acceptable substitute for C)
E) Rodney Bingenheimer cameo
F) next to end credits, AGD pointing out every factual error and fictionalization...adds two hours to running time
G) after end credits: Zeppo and Dean Torrence sing "Ding Dang"
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 10:15:57 PM by rn57 » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 10:24:18 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:18:25 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 10:58:47 PM »

Frankly my dears, I couldn't give a damn.

I'm far more excited about the concept of a 6CD career-spanning box than a biopic.

Aren't we here because of the music?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 12:31:02 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 11:17:24 PM »

we're not going to get a three-hour in-depth character study of Brian Wilson.
No duh. Actually, now that I think about the time length more, you could probably fit everything in under two hours with a good enough script. I'm not interested in a character study, I want an entertaining history exposé. Paul Dano needs to be taped trying to convince somebody exactly why Presenting the Fabulous Ronettes is the greatest album ever made while he's walking around with a dildo in his pants and Shortenin' Bread is playing on reel-to-reel

I liked the idea of it being non-chronological. I hope it ends up that way.

-brian listens to be my baby big budget hallucination sequence 
Now you're speaking my language
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 11:18:42 PM by kappa » Logged
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 12:56:29 AM »

and a 30-minute-long scene of dano actually slamming back hard cider, legit drunk off his ass, in holland listening to sail away by randy newman, with many shorter reprisals during that era
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 03:30:13 AM »

The ghost of Foskett should hover all over the enterprise.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
MBE
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 04:02:32 AM »

I know what will happen. They will play up the abuse from Murry, the drugs, and the mental illness. They will make the Brian of 1968 the Brian of 1975 and Mike Love will be a villain.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 04:10:31 AM »

I know what will happen. They will play up the abuse from Murry, the drugs, and the mental illness. They will make the Brian of 1968 the Brian of 1975 and Mike Love will be a villain.

Could well be. A depressing idea.

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 05:01:58 AM »

Nudity
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2013, 05:11:03 AM »

Most likely, yes.  One of the reasons I don't like most musical biopics, even the critically acclaimed ones, is because they can basically all be reduced to: "Look at this person who made great music but had a really hard life."  Very little insight is to be found, and they are more likely merely to repeat simplistic myths about their subjects rather than challenge or complicate them.
MBE
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2013, 06:04:57 AM »

Could well be. A depressing idea.
I just never raise my hopes. smilethebeachboysloveyou perfectly describes 95 percent of them.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2013, 06:09:45 AM »

Once again we'll be exposed to an attempt to dramatize all of the creativity and craziness that is BW.  Let's say they nail him this time.  What moments must you see committed to film?  I'd love:

-Brian taking his time to turn a feel into a song at the piano

-Brian splicing tape for something from Smile (showing how arduous the editing process was)

What would impress me, would be capturing just how Brian, without having been a surfer, or race car driver (Dennis) was able to capture an essence that translated into music fitting those dynamics.  And, I'd like to see scenes, as we've seen in old black and white stills, of the boys working out music around an old upright piano, or whatever they were using or renting at the outset.  No studio, no Murry, but what they were able to come up with just themselves.

And, I'd like to see a scene from junior college, how Brian interacted with professors, etc. I'd also like to see the early influence of folk music, early rock, and the whole late 50's Elvis influence, alongside doo-wop, and others who may have mentored him.  And, how exactly did he teach them their parts, which departed from vocal styles of other bands.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2013, 07:00:53 AM »

A scene with Brian in a bathrobe at Kieth Moon's birthday party would be awesome, the whole bit of him getting introduced to John Lennon, etc... Smiley

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2013, 07:21:48 AM »

I want the center of the film to be:

Brian 'entertaining' Iggy Pop in some sleazy joint (or some celeb party) with a full hour of 'Shortenin' Bread' (in real time).

Then I can die a happy man.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2013, 08:30:17 AM »

As long as it is the opposite of Ray, Walk the Line, The Aviator, etc. I will be happy.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx