gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 09:01:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smiley Smile songs we would miss  (Read 21193 times)
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: April 07, 2013, 08:32:20 PM »

No, I think Brian knew what he was doing.

I agree. Intentionally failing.

I used to entertain this thought myself. And then maybe after spending all those many tens of thousands of dollars
on Pet Sounds and (broken) SMiLe he figured a home studio and a quickie LP would appease the Gods at the Tower.

Capitol was only the distributor for Smiley, BRI was the label and Brian was the God at the Bellagio. 

I still say SS was not a quickie but just finished in a shorter span because there was not the waiting periods in between waiting for studio. Obviously Lockert was getting a more than good enough sound out of the rented equipment and home studio according to the tapes. I think we need to entertain the idea that Smiley was very deliberately and laboriously casual as per the desire of Brian. And he did it in spite of pressure from the Boys to hold on to the stuff already completed for SMiLE. Failing was the furthest thing from Brian's mind as they made SS in my opinion as shown by his excitement to hand deliver an exclusive preview of H&V.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 08, 2013, 12:35:39 AM »

I would miss any and all songs from SS if it did not exist. Some fans compare SS to Love You, but I don't see it/hear it. Love You, sure, is underproduced, but not in the minimalist fashion of SS. And Love You contains some of the worst BB's vocals committed to vinyl. They may have been stoned out of their gourds during SS - well, except for Mr. Clean Jardine - but those vocals are sublime.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 17, 2013, 06:15:44 AM »

The Smile Sessions version of "With Me Tonight" is great.... I think I prefer it to the one on Smiley Smile

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx