gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:36:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smiley Smile songs we would miss  (Read 21064 times)
Magic City Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: March 29, 2013, 08:59:58 AM »

So, let us suppose for a moment that Brian and the Boys delivered a Grand Slam instead of a bunt in 1967.
SMILE came out as planned and we never had SMILEY SMILE.

What songs, if any, would you miss having in the catalog?

I'd miss "She's Going Bald".

Sail through the sorrows of life's marauders.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 09:02:28 AM »

So, let us suppose for a moment that Brian and the Boys delivered a Grand Slam instead of a bunt in 1967.

All of them. I'd miss the Smiley version of Wonderful the least, because the Smile version of that is still great, but everything else on that album -- Little Pad, She's Going Bald, the Smiley version of Wind Chimes (which is infinitely superior to the Smile one), Whistle In, Fall Breaks... it's an absolutely gorgeous album from beginning to end.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 09:03:04 AM »

What makes you think those songs wouldn't have been released? After all, we didn't have a Smile, but we got Heroes & Villains, Wonderful, etc. Chances are, those tunes would have been out on a different album.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 09:05:34 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:16:18 PM by zatch » Logged
Magic City Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 09:09:49 AM »

What makes you think those songs ever would have been written, Luther?

That's where I'm coming from.  If they didn't have to scrape together a "bunt", I don't think those new songs or alternate version of SMILE songs would have ever been conceived.

Sail through the sorrows of life's marauders.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 09:10:56 AM »

Glad you looked at this topic.  I've read where this was Carl's characterization of the stripped-down version we've come to know - and love! But, this is a 1967 context, even from a band member, Carl could perhaps not envision how enduring and widely-loved classic old Smiley Smile has become.  And, each of those tracks possesses a unique beauty.  Not unlike Pet Sounds, it just grew on listeners.  What could be omitted from that album, without desecrating it?

JMHO
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 09:16:20 AM »

You're talking about a composer who, throughout his entire career, has been known to stockpile and revisit previously sketched ideas or songs. It's moot, obviously, because the album did come out and we can't know what would have happened if it hadn't, but considering the man has probably never done a single album without previously worked ideas, why would you think those particular ideas wouldn't have happened and been finished at another time in the future? Because Smile happens, Little Pad isn't thought of? That just doesn't really make sense to me. Would Wild Honey' have happened? Would Friends have happened? That Smile songs may have been a part of Smile rather than part of Smiley Smile seems pretty irrelevant to me: the guy was going to keep making songs, as he did, so why assume they wouldn't have been the ones that they were?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 09:31:49 AM »

The thing I'd miss most is just the general mood of that album.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 09:34:21 AM »

I would miss exactly zero Smiley Smile songs.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 09:47:13 AM »

You're talking about a composer who, throughout his entire career, has been known to stockpile and revisit previously sketched ideas or songs. It's moot, obviously, because the album did come out and we can't know what would have happened if it hadn't, but considering the man has probably never done a single album without previously worked ideas, why would you think those particular ideas wouldn't have happened and been finished at another time in the future? Because Smile happens, Little Pad isn't thought of? That just doesn't really make sense to me. Would Wild Honey' have happened? Would Friends have happened? That Smile songs may have been a part of Smile rather than part of Smiley Smile seems pretty irrelevant to me: the guy was going to keep making songs, as he did, so why assume they wouldn't have been the ones that they were?

However they wouldn't have been the exact same songs. Had SMiLE panned out maybe Brian's would've recorded the Smiley songs songs in an actual studio....rather than in his den/converted studio. Had he gone back and recorded 'Little Pad' or 'Gettin' Hungry' they may have had a totally different sound to them. With that in mind:

I would miss the vibe of those songs. The simple instrumentals, the polished vocals. Had the songs from Smiley never seen the light of day I would really miss 'Gettin Hungry', 'Wind Chimes', 'With Me Tonight'.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 09:58:40 AM »

more like a blunt instead of a grand slam, amirite Cool Guy

all of them, the entire album rules. more than pet sounds and about equal to love you
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 10:19:59 AM »

more like a blunt instead of a grand slam, amirite Cool Guy

all of them, the entire album rules. more than pet sounds and about equal to love you

Hear hear!

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 10:32:50 AM »

Absolutely.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 10:41:14 AM »

i'll tell y'all what i do miss: smiley smile versions of "cabinessence", "do you like worms?", "child is father to the man", and "surf's up". now THAT would've been a truly blunted, lo-fi psychedelic pop masterpiece.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 10:50:16 AM »

I know what I mean but I don't know how to say it .... If you took the average music fan, or the casual Beach Boys' fan, or the other 99.99999% of the fan population who aren't on this message board - Smiley Smile would be the first or the easiest Beach Boys' album to drop or delete from the catalogue. With the possible exception of 15 Big Ones, Smiley Smile has done the most damage to the group's career.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 10:56:26 AM »

i don't care what some mamas-and-papas-loving pop music fan thinks about smiley smile. it's obviously a weird, insular drug album. hardly surprising most people wouldn't be into it. all the better something like this was released by the beach boys; it doesn't get much more left-field than that! people here are too obsessed with the group's loss of popularity, jeez.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 10:58:34 AM »

i don't care what some mamas-and-papas-loving pop music fan thinks about smiley smile. it's obviously a weird, insular drug album. hardly surprising most people wouldn't be into it. all the better something like this was released by the beach boys; it doesn't get much more left-field than that! people here are too obsessed with the group's loss of popularity, jeez.

Have a nice day. Smiley
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 11:05:08 AM »

Have a nice day. Smiley

that wasn't a dig at you or anything. merely a point that it would be unsurprising 99.9% of pop music fans wouldn't be into smiley smile because it's nothing like the rest of the beach boys catalogue, especially compared o what came before but after too. even love you had some sonic precursors in the spring album and 15 big ones, for instance. i think as odd as smile might have been, it would've still been a recognisable shift from pet sounds... except then we got smiley smile, beginning the descent into the insular world of the beach boys.
Nicko1234
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2013, 11:06:56 AM »

I wouldn't really miss any of them. With Me Tonight is the best of the bunch though.
linusoli
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2013, 11:11:08 AM »

Smiley Smile > Smile
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2013, 11:12:44 AM »

I want "THE SMiLE" of 1967, but Smiley Smile is more than a great consolation prize.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
zachrwolfe
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2013, 11:17:49 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:16:14 PM by zatch » Logged
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2013, 11:20:58 AM »

smile is music made on drugs. smiley smile is music attempting to represent drug use, intentional or not.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2013, 11:22:44 AM »

Have a nice day. Smiley

that wasn't a dig at you or anything. merely a point that it would be unsurprising 99.9% of pop music fans wouldn't be into smiley smile because it's nothing like the rest of the beach boys catalogue, especially compared o what came before but after too. even love you had some sonic precursors in the spring album and 15 big ones, for instance. i think as odd as smile might have been, it would've still been a recognisable shift from pet sounds... except then we got smiley smile, beginning the descent into the insular world of the beach boys.

No offense taken, Doctor. I realized, even as I was typing my post, that it was a downer. So I thought I would post something, complete with smiley face, going the opposite direction. Sorry for how it came off.

I'm not a fan of Smiley Smile. I think it's overrated and it signifies - to me anyway - Brian throwing in the towel. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy it; I do. But, I enjoy every Beach Boys' album. I compare it somewhat to BWPS. The songs are inferior to SMiLE. Anyway...

I don't think The Becah Boys ever recovered from Smiley Smiley. They went from Good Vibrations and that infamous poll beating The Beatles (yeah, I know it was just one poll) to declining record sales, bankruptcy, and being dropped by their record company. All that in what, 2-3 years. Hard to believe actually. Smiley Smiley was a mistake, and I always thought that Wild Honey was an attempt to apologize for it, in my opinion, of course...
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2013, 11:57:10 AM »

i'll tell y'all what i do miss: smiley smile versions of "cabinessence", "do you like worms?", "child is father to the man", and "surf's up". now THAT would've been a truly blunted, lo-fi psychedelic pop masterpiece.

"Cabin Essence" is one song that I don't think would have worked in a Smiley Smile form.  I suspect a Smiley Smile version of "Surf's Up" would have been similar to the terrific version on the first disk of The Smile Sessions that was recorded around the time of Wild Honey.

As for the Smiley Smile recordings vs. the Smile recordings, I think the SS version of "Wind Chimes" is clearly superior, the S version of "Wonderful" is clearly superior, and I've never been able to decide about "Vegetables"/"Vega-Tables."
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx