gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:58:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love talks about C50 shows (March 26)  (Read 24151 times)
tony p
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2013, 07:20:05 PM »

http://www.montgomerynews.com/articles/2013/03/26/entertainment/doc5151c0ad005ae357009610.txt

Ask Mike Love if he’s still having fun singing about surf, sand, cars and girls for more than 50 years now and he’s quick with an answer.

“No . . . I’m having fun, fun, fun. And good vibrations,” said Love.

Beach Boys humor. Add in your own rimshot here.

“How can you not have fun when you have an audience full of people who still enjoy hearing the stuff you had a hand in writing and creating and singing? It’s a blessing, that’s what it is.”
Love, along with longtime Beach Boys bandmate Bruce Johnston, will be touring throughout April under the Beach Boys banner and will make several stops in the greater Philadelphia area: Friday, April 5, 8 p.m. at the TD Bank Arts Centre in Sewell, N.J.; Saturday, April 6, 8 p.m. at the Community Theatre in Morristown, N.J.; Sunday, April 7, 7 p.m. at the American Music Theatre in Lancaster, Pa.; and Friday, May 31, 8 p.m. at the Bergen Performing Arts Center in Englewood, N.J.

And yes, it’s not particularly easy for a 72-year-old rock star and co-founder of the iconic group to continue to be on tour, night after night, year after year. But Love is a longtime believer in transcendental meditation — since 1967, in fact — and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

“You have to be careful about getting tired — that’s why I meditate,” said Love in a recent interview from his home in Lake Tahoe, Nev. “It’s invaluable to me. I don’t think I could handle the level of activity — the touring — without the benefit of transcendental meditation.

“We learned the hard way in the ’60s,” he said. “You can’t go out and burn the candle at both ends and you can’t drink and smoke pot and hope to be able to function like we do. You live a sensible lifestyle, get your rest when you can, meditate a couple of times a day and it all adds up to longevity and being able to support a fair amount of activity.”

Of course, it wouldn’t be a Beach Boys story without some discussion of the highly successful 50th anniversary tour that the surviving original members — Brian Wilson, Love, Al Jardine, Johnston and David Marks — completed in 2012.

And it wouldn’t be a Beach Boys story without the well-documented fact that it ended with something less than total good vibrations among the band members
Love, Johnston and their band, which has toured under the Beach Boys name for years without Wilson, Jardine and Marks, had scheduled dates after the 50th anniversary tour ended in late 2012. Consequently, those dates did not include Wilson, Jardine and Marks.

The two camps engaged in some back-and-forth, Wilson and Jardine claiming publicly that they didn’t know why the momentum created by the 50th anniversary couldn’t continue and Love insisting that the tour had a finite number of dates and once those were completed, that was the end of the obligation.

Love even went so far as to write a letter to fans that was published in the Los Angeles Times in October 2012 clarifying his position that he didn’t “fire” Wilson, Jardine and Marks from the band and his rationale about moving on with his touring version of the Beach Boys.

Five months later, Love hasn’t changed his tune. And he’s not afraid to restate his position, although he does leave the door open ever-so-slightly that another reunion tour could happen.

“I maintain the attitude that there was an agreed-upon amount of shows that we were to do on the anniversary celebration,” he said. “Those shows were accomplished and I think a lot of fans got a lot of pleasure out of it and we had a good time doing it.

“But I’m not opposed to any future involvement. It’s just that those agreed-upon dates came and went and now we’re off to do what we do with our group. Al has his group and Brian has his group.”

What Love doesn’t understand is the continued backlash and animosity toward him.

“If you’ve looked at Al’s website recently, there’s so much ‘Hate Mike Love’ stuff going on. You would wonder why he’d entertain that stuff on his website,” said Love. “I’d never post anything or allow anybody to say anything bad about anybody on mine. I wish people would understand.

“You know, they used to say that the Beatles wouldn’t be the Beatles without John Lennon. Well, maybe so, but Paul McCartney is not chopped liver. Paul McCartney is brilliant and clever and talented and prolific. So why do you have to disparage one person because you happen to have a favorite personality in a group? I just don’t understand that.

“Some people think you have to knock somebody down in order to build yourself up,” said Love. “I don’t look at it that way. To the mentality that likes to disparage other people, I say perhaps you should get a life. It’s just wrong thinking in my opinion and I don’t mind saying that.”

Still, the music and harmonies survive into a fifth decade. And like the original Beach Boys, there’s still a familiar feel to the band now. Love’s son, Christian, plays guitar and provides vocals, mostly on the parts that the late Carl Wilson used to sing.

“Christian does Carl’s parts,” said Love. “Carl had this beautiful quality, and Christian has quite a similar quality and range. Carl could go a little higher, but Christian sounds fantastic on the lead on ‘Good Vibrations.’”

Other current band members include Randall Kirsch on bass and vocals; Tim Bonhomme on keyboards and vocals; John Cowsill on percussion and vocals; and Scott Totten on guitar and vocals.

Love said he likes playing all types of venues and he’ll continue to do so as long as he’s able and the fans want to hear the Beach Boys.

“It’s a darn good thing that we’re still able to sing the same songs in the same keys and that the people actually still come to see us,” said Love. “I like it all, I really do. I like playing anything from a club to a stadium and everything in between.”

I gotta heart that just wont stop beating for you, I gotta love that just can’t stop feeling for you
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 08:05:14 PM »

"To the mentality that likes to disparage other people, I say perhaps you should get a life."

Behold the paradox that is Michael Edward Love!

The Tao of Mike Love?

The Mindfulness of Mike Love?

The Mike Love of Mike Love?

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 08:08:26 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 08:18:43 PM »

Mike really doesn't get the fact the he gives people reasons to hate him. It really seemed like he'd seen the error of his ways at the Grammy museum but that didn't last long.

He's clueless

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 08:26:09 PM »

“If you’ve looked at Al’s website recently, there’s so much ‘Hate Mike Love’ stuff going on. You would wonder why he’d entertain that stuff on his website,” said Love. “I’d never post anything or allow anybody to say anything bad about anybody on mine. I wish people would understand.".

Problem with this statement is that it's not true. Aljardine.com has no board or venue for comments. He used to have a calif saga board or somerhing but I think it's pretty comatose. The Lovester must be referring to Al's Facebook page. So Mike expects Al to censor his FB page?

I think that's a great idea.

Billy,  please delete any negative Mike Love posts.  LOL
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 09:14:36 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 08:55:11 PM »

Ugh...more Mike bashing.  Seriously?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 08:59:36 PM »

Yeah, here we go again.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 09:02:22 PM »

Ugh...more Mike bashing.  Seriously?
What did you expect on a thread like this?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 09:11:16 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 09:04:21 PM »

Yeah, here we go again.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yeah, it's pretty snoozy. Restless souls waiting for the MIC  box set.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 09:09:46 PM »

For real, man.  Been there done that (ad nauseam) with the anti-Mike, anti-Bruce sentiments. Time to talk about other stuff until the box set is released.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 10:03:36 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 09:14:08 PM »

Have you seen his R&R HOF rant?

Have I seen the 25 year old clip of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame rant that's been posted on  nearly every music blog/site on the net and discussed to infinity?  Um yes I have, thanks.  Undecided

It's just a little surprising that every little thing Mike does can still elicit such a strong reaction by people on this board.  I mean, honestly, shouldn't we be immune to this stuff by now? Personally, I see nothing wrong with anything Mike has said in this article.  It's his right to practically give his haters the finger (in his own limited way, of course).  "Get a life" is the correct solution to those wishing to dredge up the same old drama, over and over.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 09:17:13 PM »

“But I’m not opposed to any future involvement. It’s just that those agreed-upon dates came and went and now we’re off to do what we do with our group. Al has his group and Brian has his group.”

See if his credibility with the majority of Beach Boys fans wasn't so low that we can't give him the benefit of the doubt there wouldn't be as much anxiety as there is now in Beach Boys land.  The crux of this whole issue is most see the ending of the C50 tour as another one of Mike Love's never ending games.  As I mentioned a few days ago, the man doesn't get even a shred of the benefit of the doubt among Beach Boys fans and I guess if he really is that oblivious to the drama he creates around himself, I could see how he could be confused.  However continuing to antagonize Beach Boys fans by telling them that they should "get a life" is probably not the best way to get people to stop looking for reasons to bash him.

Look I don't know what the deal is with this guy.  I don't pretend to know either.  It just seems like the name Mike Love has become synonymous with a great amount of antipathy and words like "killjoy".  This may be a bit unfair, I don't know.  I think a lot of Beach Boys fans do need to let go of long held grudges against Mike Love but it would also be fair to point out that some of his actions and comments haven't exactly aided the cause of healing over old wounds.  Maybe the man is in dire need of a publicist?  Someone who could screen over some of the stuff he says before it hits print because intentional or not he sure has a way of detonating land mines whenever he makes a public statement.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 09:22:20 PM »

Have you seen his R&R HOF rant?

Have I seen the 25 year old clip of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame rant that's been posted on  nearly every music blog/site on the net and discussed to infinity?  Um yes I have, thanks.  Undecided

It's just a little surprising that every little thing Mike does can still elicit such a strong reaction by people on this board.  I mean, honestly, shouldn't we be immune to this stuff by now? Personally, I see nothing wrong with anything Mike has said in this article.  It's his right to practically give his haters the finger (in his own limited way, of course).  "Get a life" is the correct solution to those wishing to dredge up the same old drama, over and over.

Really? He dissed Al and lied about Al's website. No one put a gun to his head and made him say that. He sure does say quite a few disparaging things about people saying disparaging things about him. But then he's not that kind of person to think thst way. What a guy!

Personally, I had a very disgusting experience with Mr. Love. So your wasting your time on me. I severely dislike the man. Their is a reason Jon's BB book had a chapter on people hating ML.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 09:40:23 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 09:34:30 PM »

He lied?  How did he lie?  Because he mis-spoke and when he said "Al's website"..he really meant his Facebook page?  Wow...what a liar!  I know he was talking about Al's FB page, you very well know he was talking about his FB page...so just let it go.  Al and Brian's pages were flooded with fans posting awful things...is that not true? 

It's unfortunate you had a disgusting "experience with Mr. Love"...and if you're eagerly waiting for me to beg you to spill the details on that specific encounter--you are wasting YOUR time.   

There is a reason for every fan to have their own position on Mike but honestly, it's 2013.  Some of you are acting like you just met this dude.  This is who he is--and has been for as long as we've known him.  I can see other types of fans still going nuts over this type of stuff but for this entire board to implode after everything Mike says is kind of ridiculous.  Obviously...that's just my position.  So...carry on.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 09:44:36 PM »

C-blocked by Mike Love. Oh, the humanity!
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 09:50:46 PM »

I'm pretty sure at age 72 Mike is not gonna change and suddenly want to play SMiLE in it's entirety at Carnegie Hall or  whatever. He doesn't want to do the artsy fartsy stuff, he wants to play the stuff he can get over well at the places he likes to play and he doesn't want to kowtow to the almighty Brian. Why bother getting irritated over what he says?

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 09:50:59 PM »

Ouch, I am devastated.  Seriously dude, if you spend any time on this board are you surprised? The man did an interview, a lot of people don't like ML. No one is making you read this thread. Or maybe you might be happier at www.mikelovefanclub.com

The guy did an interview. Facebook is not Al's website. Mike twice said Al's website. So you don't see this as a dig at Al?  My, you are naive!

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 09:55:25 PM »

I'm pretty sure at age 72 Mike is not gonna change and suddenly want to play SMiLE in it's entirety at Carnegie Hall or  whatever. He doesn't want to do the artsy fartsy stuff, he wants to play the stuff he can get over well at the places he likes to play and he doesn't want to kowtow to the almighty Brian. Why bother getting irritated over what he says?

Whose irritated? Mike Love bashing is a fun pastime for many.  Wink

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 09:58:21 PM »

Mike is just doesn't seem like a nice person at the end of day. People can spin it a million ways but if people have saying this for half a century, then something is up. The dig at Al is really helping his case to get people off his back Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 10:09:15 PM »

As Mike doesn't really use the internet to him website and Facebook page probably mean the same thing. And as far as the C50 comments go at least it sounds like he's not slamming the door on future work together.

I'm no Mike Love apologist... but the man has done enough legitimately wrong things to criticize him for to dog him out for things he shouldn't be dogged out for.

Just my two cents...if a shitstorm starts I'll have to throw in the whole damn dollar.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 10:22:27 PM »

As Mike doesn't really use the internet to him website and Facebook page probably mean the same thing. And as far as the C50 comments go at least it sounds like he's not slamming the door on future work together.

I'm no Mike Love apologist... but the man has done enough legitimately wrong things to criticize him for to dog him out for things he shouldn't be dogged out for.

Just my two cents...if a shitstorm starts I'll have to throw in the whole damn dollar.
I have no problem with Mike's rationale for ending the C50 and going back to his band thing. He had every right to do that.

He just didn't have to take those shots at Al; and then say he's not the kind of person that says disparaging things about people.
I think it's called hypocrisy.

Funny, he didn't mention Brian's board and lord knows people did a lot more serious Mike hating there.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 10:39:21 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 10:44:33 PM »

Whose irritated? Mike Love bashing is a fun pastime for many.  Wink

True dat.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
MBE
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2013, 10:51:08 PM »

Good comments Billy.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2013, 11:03:30 PM »

What this ultimately boils down to are the fans' inability to let go.  The Beach Boys really stopped being the Beach Boys when Carl died (some would argue even long before that).  Last year's surprisingly cool reunion was a rare exception.  Let's be honest, these guys are senior citizens now with a long history of dysfunction.  I'm not against these guys reuniting if they are really into the idea, but if we have to force them into a room together just to satisfy our neediness for them to "keep it going", then forget it.  

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2013, 11:10:14 PM »

Good comments Billy.
Umm, not true. He gave my certain someone his email address and apparently was  quite active in accessing the internet and sending multiple emails. And he doesn't know a website from Facebook? Granted, Facebook is a new niche that most have never heard of  Wink but I just viewed a website called MikeLove.com.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2013, 11:12:54 PM »

What this ultimately boils down to are the fans' inability to let go.  The Beach Boys really stopped being the Beach Boys when Carl died (some would argue even long before that).  Last year's surprisingly cool reunion was a rare exception.  Let's be honest, these guys are senior citizens now with a long history of dysfunction.  I'm not against these guys reuniting if they are really into the idea, but if we have to force them into a room together just to satisfy our neediness for them to "keep it going", then forget it.  
I almost wish they hadn't reunited last year. It sure doesn't seem to have healed old wounds - if anything, just opened them up further.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx