gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 10:58:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wilson + Korthof Ancestral Countries  (Read 2860 times)
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2013, 04:58:37 PM »

There doesn't seem to be much information out there on these subjects.
Mike Love said in his hall of fame speech the Wilsons originally came from Sweden (and they do look sweden)
In Calin's book he goes through in some detail on Murry's father side but do we know any other information.
Iwould like to know where originally the Korthof family came from.
I can't find any on the Korthof (Audree) Ancestry.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 05:10:09 PM »

Korthoff is a German name, so I would imagine that Audree's family was German, at least on her dad's side.
I remember Timothy White's book having a ridiculously detailed history of the Wilson family, but I also remember it getting some fairly basic facts about the group wrong...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 12:53:42 AM »

I've traced the Korthof branch of Brian's family back to 16th century Holland. The Stholes (Stahl) hail from Sweden. There's Norweigian in the family too, plus German and a great slab of British.

If anyone wants a GEDCOM file of Brian's family tree as researched by moi, just ask. It's also on ancestry.com, if anyone here uses that. (Alan's too). As a taster, her's Brian's ancestry back a few generations with place of birth:

Murry Wilson (Kansas)
Audree Korthof (Minnesota)

William Wilson (Kansas)
Edith Sthole (Kansas)
Carl Korthof (Minnesota)
Ruth Finney (Minnesota)

William Wilson (Ohio)
Alta Chitwood (Illinois)
Charles Sthole (Sweden)
Maria Petterson (Illinois)
Aart Korthof (Holland)
Amalia Henning (Wisconsin)
Albert Finney (Wisconsin)
Elnora Brass (Wisconsin)

George Wilson (Ohio)
Mary Baily (Ohio)
Green Chitwood (Tennessee)
Ruth Chaffin (Tennessee)
Adolf Stahl (Sweden)
Christina Adolfdottir (Sweden)
Peter Petterson (Sweden)
Maria Ulson (Norway)
Gerrit Korthof (Holland)
Sophia Kaarls (Holland ?)
Carl Henning (Prussia)
Caroline Behike (Prussia)
Eli Finney (New York)
Ellen Cogan (Ireland)
Almond Brass (Canada)
Paulina ?? (New York)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 01:22:04 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 02:06:47 AM »

Andrew, Nice work! Sophia Kaarls was indeed born in Holland (Amsterdam to be exact). Gerrit Korthof was born in Muiderberg.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 02:51:43 AM »

I'm guessing you found the same website I did.  Cool

BTW, I've managed to trace the Chitwood/Chetwode branch of Brian's family back to England in 1082.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 03:21:41 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 03:24:09 AM »

I would think so :-). I did do a quick check if I was related to the Korthofs. Of course I wasn't.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 04:16:49 AM »

Some more info I found here about the Korthofs:
http://www.freewebs.com/korthof/

Aart Korthof was born on March 16, 1866 in Amsterdam. He was a shopkeeper and merchant. He was the son of Gerrit Korthof and Sophia Kaarls. He was married on February 25, 1889 in Renville, MN to Amelia (Molly) Henning, who died on December 20, 1908 in Hennepin County.

Gerrit Korthof was born on December 17, 1824 in Muiderberg. He was a milkman, barnkeeper and carpenter He died on December 29, 1892 in Nieuweramstel, and was the son of Huibert Korthof and Aaltje de Bruijn. He was married on May 16, 1847 in Sloten to Sophia Kaarls, born August 24, 1828 in Amsterdam, died on September 7, 1875 in Amsterdam, daughter of Andries Kaarls (farmer) and Marritje de Haas.

Huibert Korthof was born on May 20, 1785 in Muiderberg, baptized on June 30, 1786 in Muiden. He was a laberor, digger and peasant. He died on May 11, 1852 in Muiderberg, and was the son of Jan Hendrikz Korfhof and Hendrijntje Hendriksdochter Donkervoort. He was married on February 19, 1808 in Muiderberg to Aaltje de Bruijn, baptized on April 23, 1786 in Nieuw Loosdrecht, died on February 8, 1827 in Muiderberg, daughter of Aart den Bruin (tailor) and Aaltje Jens de Groot.

Jan Hendrikz Korthof was born on May 22, 1750 in Huizen. He was a gardener and laberor. He died on December 19, 1826 in Muiderberg, and was the son of Hendrik Jansz Korthoff and Weijmpie Jansdochter Makkingh. He was married on December 21, 1777 in Muiderberg to Hendrijntje Hendriksdochter Donkervoort, baptized on July 19, 1744 in Woudenberg, died on October 31, 1828, daughter of Hendrik Eersten and Sophia Hendriks. The family crest of Jan Hendrikz Korthof and his descendants: http://www.freewebs.com/korthof/familiewapenkorthof001.pdf

Hendrik Jansz Korthoff was baptized on June 2, 1721 in Huizen and buried on December 12, 1750 in Huizen. He was the son of Jan Roelofsz Korfhoff and Maria Adriaans van Dijk. He was married on September 28, 1749 in Huizen to Weijmpie Jansdochter Makkingh, baptized on November 16, 1727 in Huizen, died on November 1, 1804, daughter of Jan Andries Makkinje and Marritje Claessen.

Jan Roelofsz Korthoff  was baptized on November 8, 1676 in Naarden and died on October 27, 1734. He was the son of Roelof Stevensz Korthoff and Stoffelijntje Stoffels. He was married on June 18, 1708 in Huizen to Maria Adriaans van Dijk, born in Utrecht, died October 27, 1734. She was probably the daughter of Adriaan van Dijk and Maria Minnebeek.

Roelof Stevensz Korthoff was born between 1635 and 1638 and was a turf carrier. He died on March 21, 1679 in Naarden. He was the son of Steven Jacobsz Cortof and Grietje Reijers Tulling. He was married on May 16, 1658 in Naarden to Annetje Jans, born circa 1638.

Steven Jacobsz Cortof was baptized on April 5, 1615 in Naarden. He was a sea captain, brewer and municipal executive. He was buried on July 31, 1651 in Naarden. He was the son of Jacob Stevens and Emmetgen Teunis. He was married to Grietje Reijers Tulling, baptized on July 2, 1617 in Naarden, buried in Naarden on November 13, 1662 and was the dauhter of Reijer Anthonisz Tullingh (major of Naarden) and Jannetje Jans.

Jacob Stevens was born circa 1585 and was a gasthuismeester (master of some type of hospital), municipal executive and poorter (someone who had acquired the right to live within the city gates of a city). He died on December 1, 1632 in Naarden. He was the son of Steven Jansz. He was married to Emmetgen Teunis.

Stevens Janz was born circa 1555 and was poorter in Naarden. He died in 1612 in Naarden. He was the son of a certain Jan, who was the tribal patriarch of one of the three Dutch Korfhof families (the Noord Holland branch).
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 04:36:28 AM »

Wow this was way more than I was expecting, that's pretty cool how there's some relation to holland!!!
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 05:51:18 AM »

It might be interesting to note that the towns of Naarden, Muiden and Muiderberg are all within a 10 mile distance from Baambrugge, where the Holland album was recorded.
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 09:45:56 AM »

Also in the area is a place called "Kortenhoef", which is probably where the Korthof family came from.
Here's some more info on the small village: http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kortenhoef
I wonder if the Beach Boys knew about this when they lived in the area!
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 11:13:58 AM »

I wonder who did the research? I assume someone in the family. Either that, or a very interested fan. Most of that data on Ancestry.com and other family lineage sites is put there by families. I have a first cousin who converted to Mormonism after marrying a Mormon and he did a lot of research on my mother's side of the family and put it up on one of those sites.  Mormons come in handy for the family research thing.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 12:10:33 PM »

I wonder who did the research? I assume someone in the family. Either that, or a very interested fan. Most of that data on Ancestry.com and other family lineage sites is put there by families. I have a first cousin who converted to Mormonism after marrying a Mormon and he did a lot of research on my mother's side of the family and put it up on one of those sites.  Mormons come in handy for the family research thing.

I got the Korthof information from a website made by someone in the Korthof family (who's probably not even aware of the Beach Boys connection, since it does mention Audree's grandfather but not his offspring).

I know that the public records have been well kept in The Netherlands for centuries and that they're easily accessible. Pretty much all the people I know here who checked out their anchestry had little trouble going back several centuries. Someone in my family managed to trace ours back until either the 15th or the 12th century (uncertain because there's one somewhat dubious link there).
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx