gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680739 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 02:59:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does garageband work on an iPad, and other iPad-related questions...  (Read 1991 times)
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: March 22, 2013, 09:37:12 AM »

Simple question, hopefully a simple answer, does garageband work on an iPad?  Or perhaps I should ask whether or not it works well?

Also, could you do the excercises on this website on an iPad?

http://www.musictheory.net/exercises/note/beoyryyyy

Anyone know?

Thanks,

mps

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 09:46:21 AM »

Google is your friend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMRTvU17dMI

I am also your friend.

Edit: he plays the GV theremin part in this video. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 09:50:29 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 10:20:46 AM »

I use Garageband on my phone a fair bit, well worth the 3 quid or whatever it costs. Imagine it'd be much better on the iPad, bigger screen and all that.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 11:49:24 AM »

I found it to be more of a gimmick. The interface is far too small (even for the ipad - trying to play the piano is a pain), the options for recording are kinda ridiculous (ie: If I remember correctly they only give you a set amount of bars to record in. You're also limited to the amount of tracks you can record on). The good things: The interface is beautiful, as SwedishFrog's link shows, the array of instruments is impressive (and they all sound good). You can add reverb, EQ, etc.

I laid down some pretty nice demo tracks using it, but it takes a lot of effort to create a nice sounding song.

But like Hypehat said, it's very well worth the money.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 12:02:34 PM »

Aha, you can record more than eight bars! At the right of the screen, where said eight bars are laid out, there's a little + sign - press that, and you can change it in there. I mean, I just found it by accident and they don't mention it at all, the bastards, but it's doable.

Another pro for Garageband - the sampler is not only good for whatever you may use a sampler for, but also good for freaking people out by playing their conversations back at terrifying pitch and speed, in a chord. They shouldn't have put it on the iPhone cos of bastards like me.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

zachrwolfe
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 01:09:53 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:19:04 PM by zatch » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 01:12:54 PM »

Aha, you can record more than eight bars! At the right of the screen, where said eight bars are laid out, there's a little + sign - press that, and you can change it in there. I mean, I just found it by accident and they don't mention it at all, the bastards, but it's doable.

Ahhh forgot about the + button (I think I found it by accident as well LOL) - they should just allow you to record however much you want to record in the first place instead of having to add those bars. But that's Apple for ya.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 02:33:34 PM »

Thank you for all of the answers.  I did find some information via Google prior to posting, but the answers were not sufficient, you all have been more helpful.

Here is my situation: I need a new computer, my laptop is not going to last much longer.  I'd like to get a Mac, but I don't want to spend $1000+.  Also, I do all of my work computing on my work laptop and all of my recreational computing on my phone.  So I don't think I need a new laptop...except for garageband.  I will mostly record with a Zoom H4, so all I need garageband for is transferring my tracks from the Zoom to the ipad and having a way to edit and what not.  If garageband can do that for me, then I'll go with the iPad.  Otherwise I'm probably stuck with an HP or a Dell or some other such laptop.

If you were me, and only need garageband for the above, will the iPad suffice?

Also, does the iPad screw you like other Apple devices, no replaceable battery?  If so, is there a non-Apple alternative to the iPad that you would recommend?  If so, which one?  I can always use Audacity.  Smiley

zachrwolfe
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 04:41:05 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:18:53 PM by zatch » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 05:05:17 PM »

Very much agree with Zach. Their products are amazing (well worth the price) and if they break down, they replace/fix it with basically no questions asked.

I sold my Ipad 1 to my friend, it's still going strong as the day I got it. The battery life is exceptional.

If you were throwing down $500 for an ipad, I'd just save a bit more for an actual computer. I'd look into refurbished Macs if I were you. You can get a Mac Mini or Macbook Air for under $1000 (http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD223LL/A/refurbished-macbook-air-17ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5) - and Garageband in the Appstore is only $15. Buying refurbished is almost better than buying new because it still comes with a warranty and it's been double checked for flaws.

Anywho, just an idea.

Like Zach I'm not an employee Grin I just love their products because they work.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 05:24:40 PM »

I'd like a Mac, and am stuck with my shitty PC and Cubase, but then I had an interview for a job in an Apple Store and they turned me down, so that's a verdict you can really trust  Grin

zachrwolfe
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 05:41:26 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:18:49 PM by zatch » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx