gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:16:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help Identifying a Song  (Read 9247 times)
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2019, 05:52:14 AM »

Blah, looks like song detecting failed. Tape's muddy, you know? Impossible to get you to hear it. It's guy singing melody Elvis Presley-like (similar style to "That's Alright Mama"). But besides, it got Christmas festive vibe, cheerful, there's lalalas near the end, short piano bit & ends with guy saying "Let's go!".

Did these cues bring to brains any song? Hello, people?

Hello, RR. I don't know about anyone else but I shall keep it in mind. I can't do any more than that, I'm afraid. Wink

So it might be Elvis if the tape's muddy. Or is it clearly someone else? More cues, please--the more the merrier. Cheesy

Is it actually a Christmas song?  Because there's this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x6ZS_VAAOA
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2019, 06:41:59 AM »

Ok, now I need help identifying a song. This description is VERY vague though. I don't really expect anybody to be able to figure it out. This is a song that I heard only once, about ten or so years ago. It was a slow, piano based balled. I think it was a song that was from the mid to late 1950's at the latest, but more likely dating from the late 1940's to early 1950's. The one distinctive thing I can remember is the saxophone. To this day, I have never heard a saxophone that sounds like the one I heard in this song. At first, I thought it was an electric guitar. It was highly distorted, and downright mean sounding. That's the best way I can describe it. It was actually kind of shocking to hear, because before the sax came in, it was a fairly quiet, slow bluesy song that was mainly piano based. Told you I was going to be vague about it.  Grin Does this sound familiar to anybody?

Again a shot in the dark, but what about Angel Baby by Rosie and the Originals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xm3qnh1sck
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2019, 06:57:05 AM »

Is it actually a Christmas song?  Because there's this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x6ZS_VAAOA
I asked the question, not JK. Listen to sendpace link I shared. It doesn't sound like the song you brought. When you listen, maybe *you* will identify it.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2019, 07:28:27 AM »

Again a shot in the dark, but what about Angel Baby by Rosie and the Originals:

Good call, Choc. Absolutely gorgeous track. I think Spector once described "Angel Baby" as "one of those awful, awful records that I love". There's a moment when it threatens to unravel completely. To say nothing of the B-side, hahaha...   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hK1aVZ37g

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2019, 11:21:50 PM »

Been checking ancient tapes to which saved songs via tape recorder's radio staish in 2006. Can't ID song, the guy sings in Elvis manner, it's going like this, maybe smb. know it (playing snippet) https://www.sendspace.com/file/2sn9l9

TIA.
I listened to it. I recognize the melody. I'm familiar with the song, but I can't place it right now. Let me think on it. It's an older surf song.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2019, 11:33:45 PM »

I'd bet bank account it's *not* Elvis but Elvis *copycat*. That's that regarding clues but since I'm stubborn to identify the song, I shan't give up to hear it better, tricky as it'll be.
Is it this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncbdW9bI27o In case you can't play the file, the link I just gave you is called C'mon Everybody by Eddie Cochran.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2019, 02:25:23 AM »

I asked the question, not JK. Listen to sendpace link I shared. It doesn't sound like the song you brought. When you listen, maybe *you* will identify it.

RR, let me know if it's okay to link that snippet at the Hoffman Boards. They have an audience of millions so the chances are good someone there will recognize it. Wink

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2019, 04:09:31 AM »

Ok, now I need help identifying a song. This description is VERY vague though. I don't really expect anybody to be able to figure it out. This is a song that I heard only once, about ten or so years ago. It was a slow, piano based balled. I think it was a song that was from the mid to late 1950's at the latest, but more likely dating from the late 1940's to early 1950's. The one distinctive thing I can remember is the saxophone. To this day, I have never heard a saxophone that sounds like the one I heard in this song. At first, I thought it was an electric guitar. It was highly distorted, and downright mean sounding. That's the best way I can describe it. It was actually kind of shocking to hear, because before the sax came in, it was a fairly quiet, slow bluesy song that was mainly piano based. Told you I was going to be vague about it.  Grin Does this sound familiar to anybody?

Here's another try, this time with an electric guitar trying to sound like a sax:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CpIKAIYo-s

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2019, 04:41:36 AM »

Jay, I'll bounce possible candidates off you from time to time. Beginning with this one--well we have to start somewhere! Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3toBfCJt67w
Thanks for the try, but that's not it.  LOL I really think it's probably a song from the mid or late 1940's to early 50's. Chocolate Shake Man had a good guess with "Angel Baby", but that's not it either, but the overall genre and style of song seems to fit. I have one other clue I could give that I just thought of. The saxophone in the song "Money" by Pink Floyd has sort of the same "mean" sound. But to be honest, unless I heard the part of the song with that saxophone part, I probably wouldn't even be able to know that it was indeed the song I'm thinking of! Did that make sense?  LOL I really wasn't even listening to it to carefully at the time and I was about to turn it off until this saxophone solo started. I know it was a saxophone, but it was unlike any I've heard before or since. Man, this is so hard to describe! Just to recap, it was an older song, probably from the late 40'a to mid 50's, it seemed to be piano based, without any noticeable electric guitars, and it had this saxophone that I swear sounded downright "evil". It was loud and nasty sounding. Maybe it was amplified? Sorry, but that's all I can really say about the song.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2019, 06:03:50 AM »

Is it this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncbdW9bI27o In case you can't play the file, the link I just gave you is called C'mon Everybody by Eddie Cochran.
It's not. Btw, song starts with yodeling - "la-la-la-hee (x4) hoooooo" followed by yell "eeeeeeeeee...ya-ha", then melody in the link. There's not many rock&roll/ pop songs with yodel intro, right? Should be good clue. Paste it to hoffman.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2019, 08:45:10 AM »

Btw, song starts with yodeling - "la-la-la-hee (x4) hoooooo" followed by yell "eeeeeeeeee...ya-ha", then melody in the link. There's not many rock&roll/ pop songs with yodel intro, right? Should be good clue. Paste it to hoffman.

'Tis done. Wink

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/help-identifying-a-song.827325/

All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2019, 02:50:21 PM »

I wasn't able to listen to it where I was at the time and thought I'd make a guess; still can't get it to play though.  Any way you could post to instaudio (or whatever it's called) because that doesn't have tons of pop-ups/ads/viruses.

Also, I did know you asked the question, but I thought I'd continue the conversation to expand on what JK had said.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2019, 05:01:27 AM »

Hm, figured sendspace is user-friendliest, easiest site to d/l music...guess not.

Any way you could post to instaudio (or whatever it's called) because that doesn't have tons of pop-ups/ads/viruses.
Link?

All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2019, 05:04:28 AM »

Hm, figured sendspace is user-friendliest, easiest site to d/l music...guess not.

Any way you could post to instaudio (or whatever it's called) because that doesn't have tons of pop-ups/ads/viruses.
Link?

https://instaud.io/
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2019, 09:08:38 AM »

Anybody got clue which song it's by now?

The insta site loads at snail's pace, sendspace - faster. May use library Internet , in that case.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2019, 10:49:39 AM »

Anybody got clue which song it's by now?

The insta site loads at snail's pace, sendspace - faster. May use library Internet , in that case.

Is it a guitar playing that opening riff? And does it sound like a rock-and-roll guitar or a surf guitar?

I see there are Russian bands who do '50s r'n'r and surf music. Is that a possibility?

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2019, 02:49:21 PM »

Ha. Knew the answer would be passed by.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 05:49:22 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx