gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:13:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help Identifying a Song  (Read 9245 times)
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2013, 03:14:30 AM »

Just a quick question, I heard a song on oldies radio recently that I can't find the name of. I don't know why I can't track it down.

It's probably from 1959-1961, somewhere in there I'd guess. It's a pretty uptempto song and I could have sworn the lyrics in the chorus went like "to the end of time" sung in a big flamboyant falsetto. The track had a bell type instrument that was prominent and I think it began with an acapella segment. I've heard it a few times before but it's been stuck in my head for days now and I just can't find it no matter how assiduously I search for it on google.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 03:54:36 AM »

Cara Mia(spelling?) by Jay and the Americans.  Wink

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 03:57:16 AM »

YES!

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 04:04:28 AM »

I didn't even think about it. I just blurted it out(in my mind). I scare myself, sometimes.  Grin

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 07:33:40 AM »

That IS scary. You're good, but scary

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 02:06:47 PM »

What's that song from the 60s or 70s where the chorus is a saxophone solo?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 02:23:37 PM »

baker street, no?

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 09:34:16 PM »

Get this: Jay's one of those guys who can still sing, even those he's old as hell.  Here's a recent live performance of "Cara Mia".  Incredible really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRzAyx40Bzg
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 11:23:32 PM »

What's that song from the 60s or 70s where the chorus is a saxophone solo?

"What Does It Take To Win Your Love" by Jr. Walker and the All Stars. Or perhaps some other song by Jr. Walker and the All Stars (maybe "Road Runner" or "Shotgun").
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 11:39:57 PM »

Ok, now I need help identifying a song. This description is VERY vague though. I don't really expect anybody to be able to figure it out. This is a song that I heard only once, about ten or so years ago. It was a slow, piano based balled. I think it was a song that was from the mid to late 1950's at the latest, but more likely dating from the late 1940's to early 1950's. The one distinctive thing I can remember is the saxophone. To this day, I have never heard a saxophone that sounds like the one I heard in this song. At first, I thought it was an electric guitar. It was highly distorted, and downright mean sounding. That's the best way I can describe it. It was actually kind of shocking to hear, because before the sax came in, it was a fairly quiet, slow bluesy song that was mainly piano based. Told you I was going to be vague about it.  Grin Does this sound familiar to anybody?

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 07:03:09 AM »

Been checking ancient tapes to which saved songs via tape recorder's radio staish in 2006. Can't ID song, the guy sings in Elvis manner, it's going like this, maybe smb. know it (playing snippet) https://www.sendspace.com/file/2sn9l9

TIA.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 08:18:27 AM »

Been checking ancient tapes to which saved songs via tape recorder's radio staish in 2006. Can't ID song, the guy sings in Elvis manner, it's going like this, maybe smb. know it (playing snippet) https://www.sendspace.com/file/2sn9l9
TIA.

I can't access it, RR. Can you post a few words of the lyrics? 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 08:19:30 AM »

Ok, now I need help identifying a song. This description is VERY vague though. I don't really expect anybody to be able to figure it out. This is a song that I heard only once, about ten or so years ago. It was a slow, piano based balled. I think it was a song that was from the mid to late 1950's at the latest, but more likely dating from the late 1940's to early 1950's. The one distinctive thing I can remember is the saxophone. To this day, I have never heard a saxophone that sounds like the one I heard in this song. At first, I thought it was an electric guitar. It was highly distorted, and downright mean sounding. That's the best way I can describe it. It was actually kind of shocking to hear, because before the sax came in, it was a fairly quiet, slow bluesy song that was mainly piano based. Told you I was going to be vague about it.  Grin Does this sound familiar to anybody?

I'll set my mind to it, Jay. Wink

It might be early doo wop. Often the sax solo on doo wop songs sounds at odds with the rest. I'll see what I can find this evening--unless someone else can identify it first... 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 08:47:40 AM by JK » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 08:39:32 AM »

I can't access it
It can't be downloaded? Weird. It's difficult to hear lyrics, the guy sings fast song. It's like Christmas vibe plus rock-n-roll.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 08:50:33 AM »

I can't access it
It can't be downloaded? Weird. It's difficult to hear lyrics, the guy sings fast song. It's like Christmas vibe plus rock-n-roll.

If someone can download it and post it here, that would be very helpful. Wink

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2019, 08:59:03 AM »

Looks like bad Internet case. Even via this ancient 2010 laptop with snail traffic it's easy to d/l, just checked it.

Anybody else?

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2019, 01:12:59 PM »

Looks like bad Internet case. Even via this ancient 2010 laptop with snail traffic it's easy to d/l, just checked it.

Anybody else?

RR, I now have a keyboard melody in G major downloaded onto iTunes. Is this what you meant?

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2019, 01:40:58 PM »

I play keyboard yes. What you downloaded is what must be ID'ed. Without going around, can you say what's that song? This seems like neverending dialog when it should be just song identification. Tongue

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2019, 02:47:16 PM »

I play keyboard yes. What you downloaded is what must be ID'ed. Without going around, can you say what's that song? This seems like neverending dialog when it should be just song identification. Tongue

Haha. Relax, RR. Grin

Very cool that you play keyboard--so do I.

It's quite a challenge when you have only a melody to go on and not a snippet from the record itself. But I'll keep listening and thinking. Wink

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2019, 04:49:12 PM »

Unfortunately this tune doesn't sound familiar at all to me. :-(

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2019, 09:18:57 AM »

Blah, looks like song detecting failed. Tape's muddy, you know? Impossible to get you to hear it. It's guy singing melody Elvis Presley-like (similar style to "That's Alright Mama"). But besides, it got Christmas festive vibe, cheerful, there's lalalas near the end, short piano bit & ends with guy saying "Let's go!".

Did these cues bring to brains any song? Hello, people?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 02:41:05 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2019, 05:30:13 AM »

Blah, looks like song detecting failed. Tape's muddy, you know? Impossible to get you to hear it. It's guy singing melody Elvis Presley-like (similar style to "That's Alright Mama"). But besides, it got Christmas festive vibe, cheerful, there's lalalas near the end, short piano bit & ends with guy saying "Let's go!".

Did these cues bring to brains any song? Hello, people?

Hello, RR. I don't know about anyone else but I shall keep it in mind. I can't do any more than that, I'm afraid. Wink

So it might be Elvis if the tape's muddy. Or is it clearly someone else? More cues, please--the more the merrier. Cheesy

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2019, 01:59:38 PM »

I'd bet bank account it's *not* Elvis but Elvis *copycat*. That's that regarding clues but since I'm stubborn to identify the song, I shan't give up to hear it better, tricky as it'll be.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2019, 03:24:27 PM »

I'd bet bank account it's *not* Elvis but Elvis *copycat*. That's that regarding clues but since I'm stubborn to identify the song, I shan't give up to hear it better, tricky as it'll be.

That's the spirit, RR. Grin

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2019, 05:44:02 AM »

Ok, now I need help identifying a song. This description is VERY vague though. I don't really expect anybody to be able to figure it out. This is a song that I heard only once, about ten or so years ago. It was a slow, piano based balled. I think it was a song that was from the mid to late 1950's at the latest, but more likely dating from the late 1940's to early 1950's. The one distinctive thing I can remember is the saxophone. To this day, I have never heard a saxophone that sounds like the one I heard in this song. At first, I thought it was an electric guitar. It was highly distorted, and downright mean sounding. That's the best way I can describe it. It was actually kind of shocking to hear, because before the sax came in, it was a fairly quiet, slow bluesy song that was mainly piano based. Told you I was going to be vague about it.  Grin Does this sound familiar to anybody?

Jay, I'll bounce possible candidates off you from time to time. Beginning with this one--well we have to start somewhere! Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3toBfCJt67w

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx