gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 10:43:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Share your latest acquisitions of Beach Boys merchandise & stuff  (Read 17113 times)
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2013, 03:16:32 PM »

Guess Ive been here long enough to venture posting a thread. I haven't seriously followed the BB
for very long but I am trying to make up for the "lost years" and scarfing up all kinds of stuff to
feed my need.  Smokin

BB Media, posters, clothing, whatever -- If you wanna share with the board post away.
And it doesn't matter if its not "recently acquired".

If this has been done before, oh well - somebody will post that too I'm sure and point the way.

Me, highlights of 2013:

1) a near mint VigOtone Smile 3 LP with the poster and cue sheets

2) BWPS mint/sealed RTI test pressing (heavy vinyl)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 09:03:07 PM by leggo of my ego » Logged

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Lonelysea30
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 05:03:30 PM »

I bought 4 very cool paintings off eBay lil while ago.  Abstract covers of holland, pet sounds, smiley smile and summer days.  Look great hung up!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 05:36:21 PM »

a friend gave me:

the menu to the Beach Boys Cafe from back in the 90s along with a matchbook
Problem Child on cassette (in the plastic)

and about to get some CW walk shirts, 2 mojo magazines, an uncut magazine, Almost Summer LP, POB (3 LPs from a couple years ago, Smiley Smile/Friends twofer LP, Wild Honey/20/20 twofer LP.

I found the single from 64 for sale for a crazy price....the "4 by the beach boys" EP  should I get it?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 08:18:57 PM »

Nothing official, but last Christmas my girlfriend made me a Murry Wilson snowglobe. That picture of him with a pipe. She put a little Xmas hat on him and it says, "I'm a genius, too". I'd like to think i'm the only person in the world with a Murry Wilson snowglobe.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 08:28:26 PM »

Nothing official, but last Christmas my girlfriend made me a Murry Wilson snowglobe. That picture of him with a pipe. She put a little Xmas hat on him and it says, "I'm a genius, too". I'd like to think i'm the only person in the world with a Murry Wilson snowglobe.

that's true love!
You've got me, I don't have one.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 08:36:17 PM »

LOL LOL LOL

With or without his eyeball?

Shocked

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 08:46:17 PM »

A near mint VigOtone Smile 3 LP with the poster and cue sheets

That's a good one!  Vigotone released that SMiLE set (ST-9002) in 1993. The three records are red, blue, and green vinyl, right? Does yours have printed labels or plain white ones? The other one I picked up around that time was the Vigotone (110-111) SMiLE 2-CD set.  Came with a 60 page booklet and a poster.  After that there was rumored to be a SMiLE box set from Viotone in the works, but it never materialized. I remember people saying the 2-CD set was like a "Sampler" of things to come. There sure was a lot on there for it to be a sampler! I think the material didn't come forth like he expected or something else happened; I don't know.

Vigotone was run by a guy out of New Orleans. He was busted around 2001/2002 and had to pay 50K to the RIAA!  He sure put out some good Beatles & Beach Boys boots!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 09:48:26 PM »

The box set sampler was the Heroes and Vibrations boot.  Unfortunately (for us) he was busted before he could release it.

How much did you end up paying for the 3 LP leggo?  Its value seems to have dropped considerably in the last few years.  Mine was listed for sale for months before someone finally took it off my hands.  It wasn't long ago that it would have been grabbed within a few hours.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 10:10:45 PM »

The box set sampler was the Heroes and Vibrations boot. 

Heroes & Vibrations was the sampler?  Consisting of 21 tracks of Good Vibrations and Heroes & Villains?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 10:22:29 PM »

Heroes & Vibrations was the sampler?  Consisting of 21 tracks of Good Vibrations and Heroes & Villains?

Yeah, according to the liner notes reproduced on the Vigotone fan site.  I only have a downloaded copy of this release myself.

Liner Notes:

"Heroes And Vibrations" is a taster for future "Smile" riches to come from the good folks at Vigotone.  We're still in the process of assembling the best possible package one could hope for from these legendary sessions, but with public outcry for the release of this set at a fever pitch, we've decided to unleash a few goodies to give you an idea of what's to come...and we think you'll be quite pleased with what you hear!

The excerpts included here are obviously, given our title, from the myriad rehearsals and sessions that produced the best-known and representative tracks from the "Smile Era", "Good Vibrations" and "Heroes And Villains".   As with most of the tapes from this period, many of the tracks featured here are fragmentary and have been difficult listening on previous, lesser quality releases.   Here the material appears in stellar sound quality.  Most items are in full stereo, both on tracks that have only been available before in mono, as well as on several things never before heard.  In other words, you're in for a real treat.

So, with that in mind, savor a bit of the genius that was '66-'67-era Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys and be on the lookout for the deluxe "Smile" box set - - - coming soon!
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 10:28:12 PM »

A near mint VigOtone Smile 3 LP with the poster and cue sheets

That's a good one!  Vigotone released that SMiLE set (ST-9002) in 1993. The three records are red, blue, and green vinyl, right? Does yours have printed labels or plain white ones? The other one I picked up around that time was the Vigotone (110-111) SMiLE 2-CD set.  Came with a 60 page booklet and a poster.  After that there was rumored to be a SMiLE box set from Viotone in the works, but it never materialized. I remember people saying the 2-CD set was like a "Sampler" of things to come. There sure was a lot on there for it to be a sampler! I think the material didn't come forth like he expected or something else happened; I don't know.

Vigotone was run by a guy out of New Orleans. He was busted around 2001/2002 and had to pay 50K to the RIAA!  He sure put out some good Beatles & Beach Boys boots!

Yes w/ Plain labels (were these early or late pressings?) and sometimes I lose track of whats what, trying to put LPs back in the sleeve in the right order helps.

Seems like it was around $45,  but shipped from GB total closer to $60. The jacket is pretty thin and flimsy, I was happy they packed it really well so it came intact, no smushed up corners or bends.

The pressings are surprisingly fine quality -- of course that doesnt make acetates sound cleaner, but thats part of the charm and I am sure collectors in the 1990s were grateful to get these recordings of the sessions. I wondered if "Brian's Smile Session Party" was unique to VigOtone releases?  I used some of it for this "tape swap" (where we mail blanks in a rotation and you get your tape back after others in the swap record on it) and guys are saying, Whats this weird Beach Boys stuff, where did you get this? lol.  Roll Eyes

I wonder if that 50K fine wiped out all his profits?

Necessity knows no law
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 10:37:14 PM »

The box set sampler was the Heroes and Vibrations boot.  Unfortunately (for us) he was busted before he could release it.

How much did you end up paying for the 3 LP leggo?  Its value seems to have dropped considerably in the last few years.  Mine was listed for sale for months before someone finally took it off my hands.  It wasn't long ago that it would have been grabbed within a few hours.

See my post above... I don't see anyway to do a multi-quote here.  Huh

I downed a lot of um ...fan-produced things at Beach Yard, they have a huge collection. Everything else
via torrent (like Unsurpassed Masters which is still seeded but takes a long time to complete)

Someday, I would like to own the original CDs but they are tough to come by (and pricey).

Necessity knows no law
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 10:40:16 PM »

Seems like it was around $45,  but shipped from GB total closer to $60.

Wow.  Five years ago it wasn't uncommon to see this set selling for $300.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 10:41:06 PM »

Heroes & Vibrations was the sampler?  Consisting of 21 tracks of Good Vibrations and Heroes & Villains?

Yeah, according to the liner notes reproduced on the Vigotone fan site.  I only have a downloaded copy of this release myself.

Liner Notes:

"Heroes And Vibrations" is a taster for future "Smile" riches to come from the good folks at Vigotone.  We're still in the process of assembling the best possible package one could hope for from these legendary sessions, but with public outcry for the release of this set at a fever pitch, we've decided to unleash a few goodies to give you an idea of what's to come...and we think you'll be quite pleased with what you hear!

The excerpts included here are obviously, given our title, from the myriad rehearsals and sessions that produced the best-known and representative tracks from the "Smile Era", "Good Vibrations" and "Heroes And Villains".   As with most of the tapes from this period, many of the tracks featured here are fragmentary and have been difficult listening on previous, lesser quality releases.   Here the material appears in stellar sound quality.  Most items are in full stereo, both on tracks that have only been available before in mono, as well as on several things never before heard.  In other words, you're in for a real treat.

So, with that in mind, savor a bit of the genius that was '66-'67-era Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys and be on the lookout for the deluxe "Smile" box set - - - coming soon!

Well, Heroes & Vibrations came out in 1998. The 'company' released stuff until 2001, when he got busted. I remember waiting for a Smile box set to come out, but it never did - presumably because he didn't have a chance to get more material in those 2-3 years before he was popped(?). Or Sea Of Tunes beat him to the punch with Unsurpassed Masters 16 & 17 and he figured, "I can't do better than that".
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 09:07:29 AM by Mikie » Logged

leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 10:57:12 PM »

Seems like it was around $45,  but shipped from GB total closer to $60.

Wow.  Five years ago it wasn't uncommon to see this set selling for $300.

Dang. Guess I stole it. Slap the cuffs on me.  police

I will have to make amends by getting overcharged for other stuff in future!

Necessity knows no law
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 07:14:33 AM »

Seems like it was around $45,  but shipped from GB total closer to $60.

Wow.  Five years ago it wasn't uncommon to see this set selling for $300.

Dang. Guess I stole it. Slap the cuffs on me.  police

I will have to make amends by getting overcharged for other stuff in future!

Now you're talking!  
Good luck in the future, see ya on Ebay

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2013, 05:04:47 PM »

I just bought/received:
Celebration 45 (Almost Summer)
Celebration album
Almost summer Soundtrack lp
LBWL (YES!)
SOT (last volume, Smiley, misc. trax, summer days)
Mike and Dean Rock n Roll Again
90s re-releases on vinyl- Friends, 20/20, Party (with cut outs!)
a German release of Love You
Some Endless Sky issues/dvds
the 25 Years Together in Hawaii on VHS
Little Joe Shaver and Devil Dogs sing hits of the BB on LP
25 Years of GV album from Sunkist
Some golf shirts from the CW walks

The magazines I was referring to in my earlier post were Mojo that came with Wonderful/Cabinessence 45, Uncut magazine from last Nov. that had Still Smiling CD with it, and Mojo Pet Sounds Revisited CD/magazine from last June (I think)

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 06:52:01 PM »

Last year I purchased:

The Black-Flag looking Beach Boys t-Shirt...wore it to the C50 concert...ran into Scott Bennett as he was headed to the mixing board and he said "cool shirt."
"Midnight's Another Day" promotional 45-rpm single
"Love and Mercy" b/w "He Couldn't Get His..." 45-rpm single
The record store day vinyl with "Surfin' Safari" and "Isn't It Time"

So far this year:

Found "Summer In Paradise" on cd for $5...still has the original poster in it. Knowing what it goes for on ebay, I had to get it for that price.
Bought the limited collector's edition 180 gram Vinyl of "That Lucky Old Sun" for $12, sealed
Found a cool Brian Wilson concert poster for $6. It has a colored drawing of BW playing a guitar (?).  It looks cool in my office.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 07:55:04 PM »

This is the best of this year's buys ( and the corresponding Ebay item #'s for visuals; I hope they all work...)  : 
Craig Car Stereo Poster( NOT the two page magazine spread) : http://www.ebay.com/itm/330856893847   
15 Big Ones Promo 15th Anniversary button:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/330853306954   
WB In-House Sweet Insanity cassette :    http://www.ebay.com/itm/160954987092     
UK Wild Honey Reel to Reel tape :  http://www.ebay.com/itm/281054870208   
Original WB cassettes for Holland, CATP & GV Best of the BBs :  http://www.ebay.com/itm/300861419040   
"Summer on Signal Hill" cassingle  ( w/ BBs backing vocals) : http://www.ebay.com/itm/380587488644   
Stars and Stripes CD sampler w/ Sunglasses :  http://www.ebay.com/itm/160982122510   
1965 Concert Program w/ KFWB insert :  http://www.ebay.com/itm/390550272263   
Sealed Pickwick BBs 8 Track tape w/ Original Slip Cover :  http://www.ebay.com/itm/221198022477   
 A Capitol various artists Promo LP I've been searching for 30 years :  http://www.ebay.com/itm/330880603764   

The 1st 2 and last items, I got from Peter Reum. If you're looking for the odd Beach Boys/Related LP be sure to check his Ebay auctions, because he's selling some GREAT stuff!  If you want an autographed LP by the BBs, you couldn't get a better example than the 1966 Vintage one he has with sigs from Dennis, Carl and Mike; (If you hurry you can probably still get  Brian, Al, David and Bruce to sign... or some combination thereof) :   http://www.ebay.com/itm/330879442385       
Wish I'd been at that European concert to hear them sing " You've Got To Hide Your Love Away"

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 02:38:08 PM »

Also bought the white 45 of Al's Don't Fight the Sea/Friends (vocals only)

~post of the century~
-Mikie

leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 03:04:33 PM »

Just got the 93 Good Vibrations Box Set yesterday. These will be great to play on the road!

Necessity knows no law
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 03:13:38 PM »

Not recent, but I reckon my top BBs piece of memorabilia is a 2004 Smile tour programme signed by all the band, Brian, and Van Dyke Parks, with the lyrics to the megaphone section of On A Holiday hand written by Nick Waluska, on opening night at the RFH.

“We live in divisive times.”
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 07:53:18 PM »

WE NEED TO SEE PHOTOS.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 09:00:43 PM »

Not recent, but I reckon my top BBs piece of memorabilia is a 2004 Smile tour programme signed by all the band, Brian, and Van Dyke Parks, with the lyrics to the megaphone section of On A Holiday hand written by Nick Waluska, on opening night at the RFH.

Thats a beaut. You done good!

Necessity knows no law
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2013, 03:28:20 AM »

Thats a beaut. You done good!

Agree-great work, John. My best ebay buy was a guy selling the BWPS Amazon boxset with the tiny figurines in the lid. Not only is it one of the rarer ones signed on the front but it also signed on the cardboard CD cover, the actual CD cover and the booklet. I purchased it for £19.99!!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx