gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680855 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 02:23:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mike Examiner interview  (Read 72717 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #450 on: March 20, 2013, 05:44:52 PM »

You're just not getting it.

It was fine when the beach boys were gone and there were no signs of a reunion, a M&B show was better than nothing.

The anger now is that Mike actually put an end to the reunion and decided to go out with Bruce. He is actually denying us more shows this summer
I get it, but all I'm asking is what if Brian had put an end to the reunion? Would he be denying us more shows this summer? Would you post to complain about his decision?

If Brian ended the tour to make a solo record I wouldn't care.

In Mike's case he ended a real Beach Boys tour to to continue on his fraudulent Beach Boys tour..

It's like a plot from a twlight zone movie
Shady, he didn't end the tour to do his own thing.... the tour had ended. He just declined to do another tour with the full band. Same end result but not quite the same thing.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 20, 2013, 05:46:50 PM »

Somebody threw out this UK show as an example of the Mike/Bruce show drawing 10000 people. Well, that's misleading because the race fans saw them for free. It's not like 10000 people forked over 30 quid each to see M/B.

Well, yes, it's *exactly* like that. It was advertised and promoted as a Beach Boys show with the racing as an added extra. It wasn't race fans seeing Mike & Bruce for free, but Beach Boys fans seeing the racing for free. Look at any of the YouTube videos of the event and see the crowds -- the audience there was actually more responsive to the music than the audience at the Wembley show in 2012.

By your logic, the Beatles never filled Shea Stadium, because anyone who'd paid to see Killer Joe Piro and His Discothèque Dancers  got to see the Beatles for free while they were there.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 20, 2013, 05:47:24 PM »

So I can be insulted  repeatly for no reason because I don't agree with the "truth" which is your opinion.
No, you were given facts by others too. My opinions are based on fact or are adjusted as the facts present themselves. As for The Beach Boys, you don't see me trashing or over praising any of the individuals. First off, their personal life is none of my F-ing business. As professionals, I have my opinions, but overall it is left to them to decide what works and what does not. They have pretty much been an ongoing working band for 51 years. During all those good and bad decisions that they have made, they have had a very successful career. From Carl's death until about 2007, I was a "No Wilsons, No Beach Boys" type of fan, and really disliked Mike Love and what he was doing. But fan boards like this one, as well as people like the Andrew's and Jon and Mike and Stephan have really changed my way of thinking about the band. I have changed my opinion completely around due to being given the facts from the ones who have taken the time to do the research. Sorry for rambling.
No, you're just an everyday flip flopper who, at this time, is enthralled by mYke and Brooth and lives in the past. What will it be two weeks from now, whatever the agdster thinks?
Then I must be the tortoise of all flip-floppers. It took me 10 years just to go to a Mike & Bruce show. I figured if Brian, Al & Carl's estate can deal with it, then so can I. Hell, I still missed Carl during the C50. As good it was, it still wasn't the same without him. What I would really like to know OSD, how did you become a such a fan when you can't stand the lead singer? Like loving the Rolling Stones, but hating Jagger. I know that I couldn't like a band whose lead singer I despise. Again, just wondering.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 05:49:53 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 20, 2013, 05:51:46 PM »

So I can be insulted  repeatly for no reason because I don't agree with the "truth" which is your opinion.
No, you were given facts by others too. My opinions are based on fact or are adjusted as the facts present themselves. As for The Beach Boys, you don't see me trashing or over praising any of the individuals. First off, their personal life is none of my F-ing business. As professionals, I have my opinions, but overall it is left to them to decide what works and what does not. They have pretty much been an ongoing working band for 51 years. During all those good and bad decisions that they have made, they have had a very successful career. From Carl's death until about 2007, I was a "No Wilsons, No Beach Boys" type of fan, and really disliked Mike Love and what he was doing. But fan boards like this one, as well as people like the Andrew's and Jon and Mike and Stephan have really changed my way of thinking about the band. I have changed my opinion completely around due to being given the facts from the ones who have taken the time to do the research. Sorry for rambling.
No, you're just an everyday flip flopper who, at this time, is enthralled by mYke and Brooth and lives in the past. What will it be two weeks from now, whatever the agdster thinks?
Then I must be the tortoise of all flip-floppers. It took me 10 years just to go to a Mike & Bruce show. I figured if Brian, Al & Carl's estate can deal with it, then so can I. Hell, I still missed Carl during the C50. As good it was, it still wasn't the same without him. What I would really like to know OSD, how did you become a such a fan when you can't stand the lead singer? Like loving the Rolling Stones, but hating Jagger. I know that I couldn't like band whose lead singer I despise. Again, just wondering.

It's quite simple.  I know this question wasn't directed at me but are you familiar with the phrase "root for the jersey, not the player"?  It's a sports term that deals with rooting for your favorite team even though the star player has shown himself to be less than worthy of your fandom.  The same thing unfortunately can apply to the way many fans feel about The Beach Boys as it relates to Mike Love.  Fans can certainly appreciate the band or even Mike Love's contributions to the band without being a fan of Dr. Love himself. 

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 20, 2013, 05:52:21 PM »

Thanks, Doc!  At least somebody here got it.  Figured I'd get a gaffaw from Cam or Surferdude or Surfrider, but no dice....
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 05:55:31 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 20, 2013, 05:53:19 PM »

That was a festival with other acts on the bill. Not that I'm putting them down for playing it.

Not that day - BB were the only act. No time for anyone else between the racing finishing and the noise curfew. How can I be so sure ? I took those photos, from the back of the stage.

And... Brian's never played a festival with other acts on the bill ?

My question is did all those people pay exclusively to see Mike/Bruce or was it a promotion alomg with the race admission ala the Sea World show?

Brian opened for Paul Simon.
So? At several points in his career, like Graceland times, PS was the hottest act in the US.

Somebody threw out this UK show as an example of the Mike/Bruce show drawing 10000 people. Well, that's misleading because the race fans saw them for free. It's not like 10000 people forked over 30 quid each to see M/B.

I am not saying it wasn't a cool gig for them but it doesn't compare to the C50th draw, or when I saw them and Chicago in front of
50, 000 fans or when they played the 4th of July on the National Mall in front of 500, 000, or whatever the crowd was.

So? Your question was "My question is did all those people pay exclusively to see Mike/Bruce or was it a promotion alomg with the race admission ala the Sea World show?"

Everyone did not pay exclusively to come see Brian when he opened Paul Simon.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 20, 2013, 05:55:03 PM »

That was a festival with other acts on the bill. Not that I'm putting them down for playing it.

Not that day - BB were the only act. No time for anyone else between the racing finishing and the noise curfew. How can I be so sure ? I took those photos, from the back of the stage.

My question is did all those people pay exclusively to see Mike/Bruce or was it a promotion alomg with the race admission ala the Sea World show?

So? At several points in his career, like Graceland times, PS was the hottest act in the US.

I am not saying it wasn't a cool gig for them but it doesn't compare to the C50th draw, or when I saw them and Chicago in front of
50, 000 fans or when they played the 4th of July on the National Mall in front of 500, 000, or whatever the crowd was.

So? Your question was "My question is did all those people pay exclusively to see Mike/Bruce or was it a promotion alomg with the race admission ala the Sea World show?"

Paul Simon's not exactly SeaWorld, though. Is he?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 20, 2013, 05:58:58 PM »

I went to go see Brian Wilson and Paul Simon out here in I think it was '02?  More people went to go see Paul than Brian. A lot of Simon & Garfunkel fans. I just bought lawn seats, and when it came time for the show, they moved us to the regualr seating and the the lawn almost emptied; some people just preferred to stay up there so they could smoke dope and not be concerned about other fans or security.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 20, 2013, 05:59:27 PM »

So? The question was did those attending pay exclusively to see a Beach Boy. They did not pay exclusively to see Brian when he opened for Paul Simon.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 20, 2013, 06:01:28 PM »

So I can be insulted  repeatly for no reason because I don't agree with the "truth" which is your opinion.
Then I must be the tortoise of all flip-floppers. It took me 10 years just to go to a Mike & Bruce show. I figured if Brian, Al & Carl's estate can deal with it, then so can I. Hell, I still missed Carl during the C50. As good it was, it still wasn't the same without him. What I would really like to know OSD, how did you become a such a fan when you can't stand the lead singer? Like loving the Rolling Stones, but hating Jagger. I know that I couldn't like band whose lead singer I despise. Again, just wondering.

It's quite simple.  I know this question wasn't directed at me but are you familiar with the phrase "root for the jersey, not the player"?  It's a sports term that deals with rooting for your favorite team even though the star player has shown himself to be less than worthy of your fandom.  The same thing unfortunately can apply to the way many fans feel about The Beach Boys as it relates to Mike Love.  Fans can certainly appreciate the band or even Mike Love's contributions to the band without being a fan of Dr. Love himself. 
Pretty simple for you and I and I agree with what you say, but I cannot recall OSD ever saying anything positive about Mike either personally or professionally. Hence, my question to him.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #460 on: March 20, 2013, 06:04:33 PM »

Paul Simon's not exactly SeaWorld, though. Is he?
I don't know.... I once tossed a fish at him and he clapped his hands and said 'ort ort ort', so who knows...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #461 on: March 20, 2013, 06:07:12 PM »

Oh wait... that was Paul Salmon.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 20, 2013, 06:18:48 PM »

I went to go see Brian Wilson and Paul Simon out here in I think it was '02?  More people went to go see Paul than Brian. A lot of Simon & Garfunkel fans. I just bought lawn seats, and when it came time for the show, they moved us to the regualr seating and the the lawn almost emptied; some people just preferred to stay up there so they could smoke dope and not be concerned about other fans or security.

I agree the majority of attendees didn't come to see Brian but Paul. Apparently [according to someone] the majority of those who came to Sea World came to see Mike/Bruce and not the venue. I'm not what any of it proves, nothing really probably.

I don't agree but kind of admire the optimism that any configuration of surviving Beach Boys might have a shot at becoming a hip, relevant, arena band.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 06:21:53 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 20, 2013, 06:22:28 PM »

Paul Salmon and Brine Wilson!!!!

I'd go to SeaWorld for that!!!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 20, 2013, 06:24:55 PM »

Don't forget Al Sardine!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: March 20, 2013, 06:26:58 PM »

I agree the majority of attendees didn't come to see Brian but Paul. Apparently [according to someone] the majority of those who came to Sea World came to see Mike/Bruce and not the venue. I'm not what any of it proves, nothing really probably.

Sorry, Cam. Forgot that Brian opened for Paul Simon so there probably should be more fans there to see Paul I guess. Just seemed real weird at the time. And you're right, it proves absolutely nothing in this context.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #466 on: March 20, 2013, 06:28:59 PM »

:D

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: March 20, 2013, 06:30:09 PM »

The ticket got you in to see both the race and the band, but the band were the main event -- the tickets said "The Beach Boys" not "horse racing". The impression I got was that the people who came were there to see the band, and the racing was the equivalent of a support act.
The audience were certainly among the most enthusiastic I've ever seen -- it wasn't an audience of people who came for the racing and hung around to see the band, but definitely people who came for the band and watched the racing while they were there.

To cement what you said Andrew , we were both there at the front hours before the gig and to be honest there really wasn't that many people on the concourse for the racing BUT from 45 minutes on before show time the place really filled up - I recall speaking to a manager of the course and he informed me that of all the gigs that they put on for that season the BB's was by far the biggest seller.

PS I don't care too much on horse racing , I prefer to eat them  LOL

I remember for years on the BBB Board people asking Bruce why his band didn't tour the UK. Bruce's answer was consistent -it wasn't economically viable. IE - the demand wasn't there. Then it finally happened. Anyway, my point was this concert was thrown out as an example of their drawing power. It was misleading.

I've been to race track concerts. Admission is vastly cheaper than a regular concert, people mill about betting, in the bars and food stands. Sure, people came out to see the band. But this is exactly like the Sea World show or playing after a ball game.

I can tell you one thing. You won't see fellow 1988 R&R Hall of Fame inductees McCartney or Dylan doing a race track show, or playing a dive casino. It's kinda like seeing your high school prom queen, who you madly in love with, turning tricks at the local motel 25 years later.

But that was a good gig for Mike/Bruce and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Some of feel the Mike/Bruce show is NOT the Beach Boys. The Temptations tour with one orininal member, Otis Williams, mthhe low voice guy. It's a nostalgia act like Mikes'.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 07:36:08 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #468 on: March 20, 2013, 06:38:36 PM »

Don't forget Al Sardine!
For once Mike's bus will smell like fish for a DIFFERENT reason!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 06:39:30 PM by Righteous Bald Dude » Logged

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: March 20, 2013, 06:43:43 PM »

Well, yes, it's *exactly* like that. It was advertised and promoted as a Beach Boys show with the racing as an added extra. It wasn't race fans seeing Mike & Bruce for free, but Beach Boys fans seeing the racing for free. Look at any of the YouTube videos of the event and see the crowds -- the audience there was actually more responsive to the music than the audience at the Wembley show in 2012.

By your logic, the Beatles never filled Shea Stadium, because anyone who'd paid to see Killer Joe Piro and His Discothèque Dancers  got to see the Beatles for free while they were there.
Silly analogy.

You are right, nobody would have turned up if they had booked the Monkees instead.

See, the sports event/concert is an old and successful promotional model. They charge 10 quid to see the races and you get a concert. In the hope that many come back for more race days.

Your premise that they threw a concert and the horse race was a throw in is ass backward.

Question is, for the other tour shows charging 30 quid, how'd they draw? Not 10000, not 5000, 3000, 1000?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 07:03:24 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: March 20, 2013, 06:52:05 PM »

The Temps tour with all of the surviving original Temps.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: March 20, 2013, 07:04:52 PM »

Don't forget Al Sardine!

Or David Lee Sharks!!!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: March 20, 2013, 07:07:36 PM »

The Temps tour with all of the surviving original Temps.

Doesn't make it less sad to see the greatest soul group ever playing dive casinos with non original members. FYI, Otis rarely makes a show anymore,  health issues. So no original members. It's a oldies act.

I guess you will be hapoy to go see Christian Love fronting the Beach Boys?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 07:09:01 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: March 20, 2013, 07:09:56 PM »

wow, now we're getting nuts

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: March 20, 2013, 07:14:26 PM »

wow, now we're getting nuts

I actually believe this when you consider it's a crowd of drunken racetrack denizens rather than a bunch of well behaved middle aged respectable fans basking in the prescience of genius.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx