gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:47:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mike Examiner interview  (Read 72313 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: March 20, 2013, 07:19:54 PM »

Somebody threw out this UK show as an example of the Mike/Bruce show drawing 10000 people. Well, that's misleading because the race fans saw them for free. It's not like 10000 people forked over 30 quid each to see M/B.

Well, yes, it's *exactly* like that. It was advertised and promoted as a Beach Boys show with the racing as an added extra. It wasn't race fans seeing Mike & Bruce for free, but Beach Boys fans seeing the racing for free. Look at any of the YouTube videos of the event and see the crowds -- the audience there was actually more responsive to the music than the audience at the Wembley show in 2012.

wow, now we're getting nuts

I actually believe this when you consider it's a crowd of drunken racetrack denizens rather than a bunch of well behaved middle aged respectable fans basking in the prescience of genius.

Fair point.

Dancing to 409 is now considered a better reception to a standing ovation to Heroes and Villains and IJWMDTT, I was not aware.

Wembley was magical, I've never seen an audience so in awe before.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: March 20, 2013, 07:27:38 PM »

I mean, just imagine: you and some buddies have had either a really good day or a really bad day at the races and maybe you got some extra cash and you're drinking it up and trolling for chicks and off in the distance you hear "WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN"

So, you hurry to take a look and your friend says "Hey, is this some Beach Boys cover band? Right on"!! And you go "Yeah, but doesn't the old guy with the cap and rings look JUST like the old guy with the cap and rings from the real Beach Boys"? And then you both realize "HOLY sh*t! IT IS THE BEACH BOYS" ..... So, you pound the drinks, grab a couple more and head down to the pit to try and c*ck-block Mike with some chicks! A blast is had by all.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 07:32:09 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
oldsurferdude
« Reply #477 on: March 20, 2013, 07:28:51 PM »

So I can be insulted  repeatly for no reason because I don't agree with the "truth" which is your opinion.
No, you were given facts by others too. My opinions are based on fact or are adjusted as the facts present themselves. As for The Beach Boys, you don't see me trashing or over praising any of the individuals. First off, their personal life is none of my F-ing business. As professionals, I have my opinions, but overall it is left to them to decide what works and what does not. They have pretty much been an ongoing working band for 51 years. During all those good and bad decisions that they have made, they have had a very successful career. From Carl's death until about 2007, I was a "No Wilsons, No Beach Boys" type of fan, and really disliked Mike Love and what he was doing. But fan boards like this one, as well as people like the Andrew's and Jon and Mike and Stephan have really changed my way of thinking about the band. I have changed my opinion completely around due to being given the facts from the ones who have taken the time to do the research. Sorry for rambling.
No, you're just an everyday flip flopper who, at this time, is enthralled by mYke and Brooth and lives in the past. What will it be two weeks from now, whatever the agdster thinks?
Then I must be the tortoise of all flip-floppers. It took me 10 years just to go to a Mike & Bruce show. I figured if Brian, Al & Carl's estate can deal with it, then so can I. Hell, I still missed Carl during the C50. As good it was, it still wasn't the same without him. What I would really like to know OSD, how did you become a such a fan when you can't stand the lead singer? Like loving the Rolling Stones, but hating Jagger. I know that I couldn't like band whose lead singer I despise. Again, just wondering.

It's quite simple.  I know this question wasn't directed at me but are you familiar with the phrase "root for the jersey, not the player"?  It's a sports term that deals with rooting for your favorite team even though the star player has shown himself to be less than worthy of your fandom.  The same thing unfortunately can apply to the way many fans feel about The Beach Boys as it relates to Mike Love.  Fans can certainly appreciate the band or even Mike Love's contributions to the band without being a fan of Dr. Love himself. 
Pretty simple for you and I and I agree with what you say, but I cannot recall OSD ever saying anything positive about Mike either personally or professionally. Hence, my question to him.
I was 15 in 1962. While I liked the beatles and other groups of the 60's, no one hit home like the boys. I was always drawn to Brian's lead vocals and as time moved forward, the mYke Luhv nasal twinge started to sound adolescent and childish. At the release of PS, I gravitated more toward Brian, Carl and Al taking the leads. mYke represented my high school years as the band progressed onto their more creative era. In short, mYke was the past with the others representing the future. I didn't mind his background parts, but preferred not to hear him do leads-his voice bothered me. After that it was the swagger, the horrendous outfits and the ego. My interest in the touring band ended with the deaths of Dennis and Carl. The ouster of Al was the final straw. I enjoy Brian, Al and David immensely, but have been done with mYke and Brooth for more years than I want to think about. If there are those that question or can't deal with that, so be it. But do not ever expect any accolades from me concernning mYke luHv and his posse of frauds.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: March 20, 2013, 07:31:37 PM »

So, the Mike of Wild Honey, Sunflower, Holland did nothing for you?
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: March 20, 2013, 07:34:20 PM »

I mean, just imagine: you and some buddies have had either a really good day or a really bad day at the races and maybe you got some extra cash and you're drinking it up and trolling for chicks and off in the distance you hear "WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN"

So, you hurry to take a look and your friend says "Hey, is this some Beach Boys cover band? Right on"!! And you go "Yeah, but doesn't the old guy with the cap and rings look JUST like the old guy with the cap and rings from the real Beach Boys"? And then you both realize "HOLY sh*t! IT IS THE BEACH BOYS" ..... So, you pound the drinks, grab a couple more and head down to the pit to try and c*ck-block Mike with some chicks! A blast is had by all.

I think our British friends have gone to bed now. Have to wait till tomorrow for the next comebacks.  Pinder, you are crackin me up dude!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: March 20, 2013, 07:35:54 PM »

I'll always love that Mike, everyone should.

He was nothing short of a genius during that period, his lyrics were outstanding, even his vocals, Aren't you glad, All I wanna Do. He had honey in his voice.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 20, 2013, 07:39:28 PM »

We should give OSD some credit for articulating his Mike-dislike. It's a unique perspective in that so many people love Mike's voice particularly because it reminds them of their younger days and "the past"
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #482 on: March 20, 2013, 07:45:43 PM »

Paul Salmon and Brine Wilson!!!!

I'd go to SeaWorld for that!!!

Don't forget Al Sardine!

Or David Lee Sharks!!!
(Orange) Roughy Fataar

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 20, 2013, 07:52:25 PM »

Thanks for the answer, OSD. While I understand your explanation about Mike's older lead vocals, in my opinion some his most understated vocals are on the post 65 albums. Leads such as Aren't You Glad, Meant For You and All I Wanna Do are as good or better than his earlier work. For years I always thought it was Mike too who held them back, then finally realized it was the fans who insisted on the nostalgia when the band wanted to move on, not Mike. I think he just convinced the others that you can't fight the people who are your bread & butter. When The Beach Boys climbed out from the abyss, it was not the new music that made them Top Bill Headliners again, it was was the oldies.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 07:53:34 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 20, 2013, 08:00:07 PM »

Pinder, take a bow! Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 20, 2013, 08:14:43 PM »

And.................Pinder with the post o' the day.  "c*ck block Mike for chicks".  Ah Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!  Good 'un.  Grin
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 08:23:41 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 20, 2013, 08:17:50 PM »

Pinder, take a bow! Cool Guy

Thought for a minute there you said, "Pinder, take a bowl".   Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 20, 2013, 08:30:47 PM »

Somebody a couple pages back mentioned "Wembly Stadium". If you wanna compare Beach Boys concerts 1975 and 2012, which drew more people and how was the setlist and singing and playing at each one? Are you gonna say apples and oranges or can we compare? Anbody here go to the Wembly concert in '75 where The Boys supposedly blew Elton off the stage?

By the way, I meant "blew" as in The Boys played a better concert and received a louder ovation from the crowd and what the critics said afterwards. 

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 20, 2013, 08:33:49 PM »

Somebody a couple pages back mentioned "Wembly Stadium". If you wanna compare Beach Boys concerts 1975 and 2012, which drew more people and how was the setlist and singing and playing at each one? Are you gonna say apples and oranges or can we compare? Anbody here go to the Wembly concert in '75 where The Boys supposedly blew Elton off the stage?

By the way, I meant "blew" as in The Boys played a better concert and received a louder ovation from the crowd and what the critics said afterwards. 

I'm sure glad you clarified that, cuz I was thinking you meant they had a really big fan that blew Elton from the stage

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 20, 2013, 08:36:56 PM »

No, I was contrasting recent free entry shows (Sea World) with concerts you have to buy a ticket for.  

Compare away Mikie.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 20, 2013, 08:43:05 PM »

I'm sure glad you clarified that, cuz I was thinking you meant they had a really big fan that blew Elton from the stage

I just didn't want somebody to come along and read that Elton got "blown" off the stage. I originally followed up with that, saying The Beach Boys had done a better job than Elton that day, but at the last minute decided against using those two words in the same paragraph...

Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 20, 2013, 08:44:21 PM »

I don't think it's a greed thing with Mike. There would be more money in the higher profile C50 lineup. I think it's a comfort level thing. He's been doing the nostalgia circuit for years, he knows the people and the facilities he's dealing with, the entire method of renting gear from venue to venue instead of hauling around truckloads of equipment...all of that is what he is used to. And he is used to not dealing with Brian and Brian's people, and of course there was issues between him and Al...to Mike I'm sure it's all a huge pain in the neck and very stressful. I think he's probably happier with less money but less headaches. Who can blame him, really?

I've said this a few times before and I'll hash it out it again, simply because I have yet to see a satisfactory response.  So it seems the biggest impediments (so far as our speculation goes, of course) the Boys working together again are:

1. The logistics of bringing all the elements together for another tour

2. Mike's preference for light and efficient touring

3. Personal differences/hostilities between parties

Seems like these three things make it darn near impossible that we'll see another C50 lineup tour.  But what about an album?  I'd rather see at least another album of original material than nothing.  By focusing on recording rather than touring, they eliminate items 1 and 2.  Granted, item 3 is a big hurdle.  But everybody's so concerned about 1 and 2.  I for one don't care about a tour.  I don't buy everybody's "greater exposure" argument either.  Sure, I'd love to see a concert, but given the choice I'd rather see them add to the canon.  I'm apparently alone in this thinking.  At least here.

I don't think Mike has a lot of interest in doing new music of any type. I think he likes to do what he knows and is comfortable with.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 20, 2013, 08:50:01 PM »

I don't think it's a greed thing with Mike. There would be more money in the higher profile C50 lineup. I think it's a comfort level thing. He's been doing the nostalgia circuit for years, he knows the people and the facilities he's dealing with, the entire method of renting gear from venue to venue instead of hauling around truckloads of equipment...all of that is what he is used to. And he is used to not dealing with Brian and Brian's people, and of course there was issues between him and Al...to Mike I'm sure it's all a huge pain in the neck and very stressful. I think he's probably happier with less money but less headaches. Who can blame him, really?

I've said this a few times before and I'll hash it out it again, simply because I have yet to see a satisfactory response.  So it seems the biggest impediments (so far as our speculation goes, of course) the Boys working together again are:

Seems like these three things make it darn near impossible that we'll see another C50 lineup tour.  But what about an album?  I'd rather see at least another album of original material than nothing.  By focusing on recording rather than touring, they eliminate items 1 and 2.  Granted, item 3 is a big hurdle.  But everybody's so concerned about 1 and 2.  I for one don't care about a tour.  I don't buy everybody's "greater exposure" argument either.  Sure, I'd love to see a concert, but given the choice I'd rather see them add to the canon.  I'm apparently alone in this thinking.  At least here.

I don't think Mike has a lot of interest in doing new music of any type. I think he likes to do what he knows and is comfortable with.

Seems so.  I've wondered why he never released "Mike Love Not War" on iTunes. Or even his older stuff. His unreleased stuff. It's easy enough to do.

Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 20, 2013, 09:05:58 PM »

Seems so.  I've wondered why he never released "Mike Love Not War" on iTunes. Or even his older stuff. His unreleased stuff. It's easy enough to do.

I'm not really sure why. I have liked a pretty fair amount of Mike's songs, to be honest. I guess he just has no interest, because if he did then he would do new songs, I'm pretty sure of that.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 20, 2013, 09:21:17 PM »

I gotta say that it's funny that Mike has at least once seriously referred to himself as "Dr. Love". If that is not the sign of an egotistical goof, I don't know what is.

sweetdudejim, if I'm not stating your point correctly, set me/it straight. Maybe when all (the album, the tour, the reunion) was said and done, it wasn't all that Mike thought it would be. Maybe Mike expected more out his role as a collaborator/lyricist on the album, maybe Mike thought it would more fulfilling working with Brian Wilson, maybe Mike didn't experience the feelings THAT WE FANS DID reuniting with Brian, Al and David, and maybe all of the overhead/people/"baggage" just wasn't worth continuing with the five man lineup. I'm just speculating and I'm not trying to rationalize Mike's feelings. I'm just saying...

Yep I think you basically got the jist of what I was saying. And for the record, I wish they woulda continued the reunion. But if Mike didn't wanna continue on, he has the right to do whatever he wants. And as lame as I may find it that Mike basically called an end to the reunited band, at the least Brian and Carl's estate seem to be giving silent consent on the proceedings by not doing anything about it. Which is why I guess I'm not quite as anti-Mike as some on here. Actually I'm not really anti-Mike at all.

Honestly, I think there could have or maybe still could be a compromise. Mostly, I'm of the opinion that if Mike had to tour, him and Bruce could do their thing while Brian was in the studio cutting tracks with his guys and Dave (and maybe Al too). It seems like something like this was on the table according to Jon Stebbins, and apparently Mike is not interested. Which I think is a shame. But once again, it's up to Mike. Brian's definitely had a lot of times when he didn't wanna work with the group, and apparently so does Mike. Not really fair to give Brian a pass and then ridicule Mike. But I mean, who knows, maybe the new Brian recordings will be Beach Boys stuff, you never know. I would assume if Capitol is approached again by BW, that they might "encourage" another Beach Boys album. But at this point, I'd say any activity from the C50 group seems unlikely.

The 50th anniversary of Pet Sounds is 3 years away however...
oldsurferdude
« Reply #495 on: March 20, 2013, 10:27:52 PM »

WH somewhat, SF no, Holland no. Was done with him as a lead singer-although I was pleasantly surprised on SU with SDT. It was Carl's turn after hearing ICHM.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 20, 2013, 10:36:29 PM »

I'll never interpret that famous Jack Rieley quote the same again.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 20, 2013, 10:58:12 PM »

"Mike Loves You" could be the next BB's album - Mike singing all the leads, his excellent backup band providing the ooh's and aah's...and Bruce playing with his mic stand. And whatever happened to that followup to SIP Mike talked about, "Masterpiece"? Mike and Bruce ARE the Beach Boys; those other guys, they were just hired hands. To Brian, Al and David's plea's of "Please Let Us Go On This Way", Mike can respond with All I Wanna Do (Is Tour with Bruce Till Hell Freezes Over)"; when Bruce asks Mike if he is going to go out with those "original members" again, Mike responds "never again, Bruce - Only With You"; and Mike's mocking of the Brianistas "Little Saint Wilson".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #498 on: March 20, 2013, 11:38:09 PM »

I love the sound of furious back-peddling in the morning.  Smiley

"There were other bands on the Epsom bill that night... oh, so there weren't... well... it was a freebie with the race tickets... oh... it wasn't... well... well... Mike & Bruce suck ! Because they're not Brrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnn !!! And they probably smell, too ! So there !!!"

Said this on several other boards - going to make a point, negative or positive, best check to see if the evidence supports it. That way, you won't end up looking like you don't know what you're talking about (speaking from personal experience here).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 21, 2013, 12:14:15 AM »

I love the sound of furious back-peddling in the morning.  Smiley

"There were other bands on the Epsom bill that night... oh, so there weren't... well... it was a freebie with the race tickets... oh... it wasn't... well... well... Mike & Bruce suck ! Because they're not Brrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnn !!! And they probably smell, too ! So there !!!"

Said this on several other boards - going to make a point, negative or positive, best check to see if the evidence supports it. That way, you won't end up looking like you don't know what you're talking about (speaking from personal experience here).
No back peddling. You were the one who told us the show was an after race concert.  Guess you should fact check yourself?Huh

Just going by what people who were there are relating here on the board.

Now I was at the first "Brian is Back" concert at Anaheim Stadium, Anaheim, July 3, 1976.  I can tell ya about that show.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx