gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680855 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 02:11:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mike Examiner interview  (Read 72716 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: March 20, 2013, 04:27:58 PM »

Hey Billy, whatia think?  There's at least one guy on this thread who saw Mike's indiscretions first hand during the 50th tour. I saw it in the early 80's (before they booted Foskett from the band for doing the same thing). Would you look the other way if we started a "Beach Boy Mess Around On Their Wives" thread?

And what Hickey said about Mike's possibly having an "open marriage". With Jacqueline? I don't think so. That would mean that she got to stay home in Incline Village and Pebble Beach and Santa Barbara and Hawaii and do that too. Which I doubt. Unless there's a one-sided agreement, but I'd doubt that too.

But anyway, Nicko says Mike's indiscretions have been discussed "numerous times" here. I can't remember reading about this on the board before, but I've heard stories through posters via PM. At first I didn't think it had anything to do with Mike & Bruce going back to their original show schedule, but the more I thought about it and the disapproval from certain members of the band and their wives, the more it made sense.

Where's Steven Gaines for an update on The Beach Boys personal trash?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 20, 2013, 04:32:42 PM »

Just read that Harry Reems, the actor who starred in Deep Throat, has died.  That's too bad.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Nicko1234
« Reply #427 on: March 20, 2013, 04:39:27 PM »

Also, do any of you really think Brian can handle the touring schedule M&B have?He did it last year despite having back issues, but to do it again (pardon the pun) immediately after? Notice that Brian only has two shows scheduled this year (so far)?

Indeed. If Brian really wanted to be touring heavily this summer then I'm sure his management could have booked him a lot more shows than that.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 20, 2013, 04:48:18 PM »

And what Hickey said about Mike's possibly having an "open marriage". With Jacqueline? I don't think so. That would mean that she got to stay home in Incline Village and Pebble Beach and Santa Barbara and Hawaii and do that too. Which I doubt. Unless there's a one-sided agreement, but I'd doubt that too.

Note that *all* I said was that plenty of people do have arrangements like that (far, *far* more than you might imagine), not that I think that's what's happening -- I don't know and don't care. I have no idea what, if anything, Mike gets up to apart from the odd hint dropped on this board, and I really, really don't want to know.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 20, 2013, 04:52:21 PM »

Someone should get Mike drunk and ask him! Or see if he'd hook up. LOL
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: March 20, 2013, 04:56:37 PM »

Also, do any of you really think Brian can handle the touring schedule M&B have?He did it last year despite having back issues, but to do it again (pardon the pun) immediately after? Notice that Brian only has two shows scheduled this year (so far)?

Indeed. If Brian really wanted to be touring heavily this summer then I'm sure his management could have booked him a lot more shows than that.

I suspect there will be a more extensive tour and that the two shows have just been announced early. Nothing at the C50 level, though. Maybe a couple dozen shows.

And please let's give BW some credit here. The man did every single C50 show, including ones where he was feeling pretty iffy. I think this whole, "Oh Brian couldn't take the schedule" thing is a bit silly. Could he do it year in and year out? Maybe not, but the 2012 tour was scheduled to give him some generous downtime, and he seemed to enjoy life on the road.

As for Mike screwing around -- I can't imagine where he would find the energy!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: March 20, 2013, 05:01:47 PM »

Someone should get Mike drunk and ask him! Or see if he'd hook up. LOL
He needs a reality show like Bret Micheal's. LOL LOL LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MVLe-yqO3E
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 05:03:42 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #432 on: March 20, 2013, 05:10:21 PM »

That was a festival with other acts on the bill. Not that I'm putting them down for playing it.

Not that day - BB were the only act. No time for anyone else between the racing finishing and the noise curfew. How can I be so sure ? I took those photos, from the back of the stage.

And... Brian's never played a festival with other acts on the bill ?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 05:11:40 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: March 20, 2013, 05:14:22 PM »

I suspect there will be a more extensive tour and that the two shows have just been announced early. Nothing at the C50 level, though. Maybe a couple dozen shows.

And please let's give BW some credit here. The man did every single C50 show, including ones where he was feeling pretty iffy. I think this whole, "Oh Brian couldn't take the schedule" thing is a bit silly. Could he do it year in and year out? Maybe not, but the 2012 tour was scheduled to give him some generous downtime, and he seemed to enjoy life on the road.

Mike's got turbine power, baby:

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: March 20, 2013, 05:15:59 PM »

Then took that lady behind the turbine....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: March 20, 2013, 05:17:03 PM »

That was a festival with other acts on the bill. Not that I'm putting them down for playing it.

Not that day - BB were the only act. No time for anyone else between the racing finishing and the noise curfew. How can I be so sure ? I took those photos, from the back of the stage.

My question is did all those people pay exclusively to see Mike/Bruce or was it a promotion alomg with the race admission ala the Sea World show?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: March 20, 2013, 05:17:42 PM »

Man the environment that Mike and his wife are in in that picture really sucks!!

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: March 20, 2013, 05:23:21 PM »

My question is did all those people pay exclusively to see Mike/Bruce or was it a promotion alomg with the race admission ala the Sea World show?

Brian opened for Paul Simon.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 20, 2013, 05:25:50 PM »

Nothing wrong with playing a festival. It's just when you play a festival you don't say 60 thousand people came just to see you.

I'd imagine something like that

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: March 20, 2013, 05:26:04 PM »

Man the environment that Mike and his wife are in in that picture really sucks!!
 LOL

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 20, 2013, 05:29:16 PM »

If this threads done one thing it's taken our minds off waiting for MIC.

That's a good thing  Grin

oldsurferdude
« Reply #441 on: March 20, 2013, 05:29:52 PM »

So I can be insulted  repeatly for no reason because I don't agree with the "truth" which is your opinion.
No, you were given facts by others too. My opinions are based on fact or are adjusted as the facts present themselves. As for The Beach Boys, you don't see me trashing or over praising any of the individuals. First off, their personal life is none of my F-ing business. As professionals, I have my opinions, but overall it is left to them to decide what works and what does not. They have pretty much been an ongoing working band for 51 years. During all those good and bad decisions that they have made, they have had a very successful career. From Carl's death until about 2007, I was a "No Wilsons, No Beach Boys" type of fan, and really disliked Mike Love and what he was doing. But fan boards like this one, as well as people like the Andrew's and Jon and Mike and Stephan have really changed my way of thinking about the band. I have changed my opinion completely around due to being given the facts from the ones who have taken the time to do the research. Sorry for rambling.
No, you're just an everyday flip flopper who, at this time, is enthralled by mYke and Brooth and lives in the past. What will it be two weeks from now, whatever the agdster thinks? Ramble on mYkinista
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 05:32:05 PM by oldsurferdude » Logged
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 20, 2013, 05:30:47 PM »

The ticket got you in to see both the race and the band, but the band were the main event -- the tickets said "The Beach Boys" not "horse racing". The impression I got was that the people who came were there to see the band, and the racing was the equivalent of a support act.
The audience were certainly among the most enthusiastic I've ever seen -- it wasn't an audience of people who came for the racing and hung around to see the band, but definitely people who came for the band and watched the racing while they were there.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 20, 2013, 05:32:31 PM »

You're just not getting it.

It was fine when the beach boys were gone and there were no signs of a reunion, a M&B show was better than nothing.

The anger now is that Mike actually put an end to the reunion and decided to go out with Bruce. He is actually denying us more shows this summer
I get it, but all I'm asking is what if Brian had put an end to the reunion? Would he be denying us more shows this summer? Would you post to complain about his decision?

The key phrase here is: "benefit of the doubt".  Brian Wilson gets it from the majority and Mike Love doesn't.  It's just the way it is which brings up the natural question as to whether or not that is fair?  

For a lot of Beach Boys fans, Mike Love has stirred up enough antagonistic feelings among the fanbase over his fifty plus years with the band that many of them will never give him the benefit of the doubt on any matter or just flat out hate the guy.  For me I look at it like this, I'm not going to waste my time burying myself in who owns the legal rights to this name or to do that or not to do that.  From what I understand M&B put on an entertaining show and while in some folks minds they may have damaged the reputation of the band by playing at "Abe's Bar & Grill" many others think that by touring the music they keep the music relevant in the eyes of the general public.  The fact that there is even a debate on this issue to me at least makes it moot and I have no problem with what M&B do as far as their tour presentation.  As an aside it's probably too late to rewrite history on that front anyhow.

That being said, I will never plunk down any of my money to see a M&B show.  To me, it's not The Beach Boys just as seeing a Brian Wilson solo gig isn't The Beach Boys.  However, at least in going to see Brian Wilson I feel as if I'm getting to see the music interpreted through the man who crafted most of these masterpieces to begin with.  I also go in with the knowledge that on more nights than not, Brian Wilson isn't exactly going to deliver a five star show therefore I'm not expecting a replication of the masterpieces on stage.

So long story short would the reaction be different if Brian Wilson was the one who put the halt on the reunion proceedings instead of Mike Love?  Yes because Brian Wilson gets the benefit of the doubt from the majority (and perhaps even vast majority) of Beach Boys fans.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #444 on: March 20, 2013, 05:32:40 PM »

that's what I mean...constant year round.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 20, 2013, 05:37:17 PM »

You're just not getting it.

It was fine when the beach boys were gone and there were no signs of a reunion, a M&B show was better than nothing.

The anger now is that Mike actually put an end to the reunion and decided to go out with Bruce. He is actually denying us more shows this summer
I get it, but all I'm asking is what if Brian had put an end to the reunion? Would he be denying us more shows this summer? Would you post to complain about his decision?

If Brian ended the tour to make a solo record I wouldn't care.

In Mike's case he ended a real Beach Boys tour to to continue on his fraudulent Beach Boys tour..

It's like a plot from a twlight zone movie

oldsurferdude
« Reply #446 on: March 20, 2013, 05:39:51 PM »

Sheriff, good point, and I remember that discussion.  I think my beef is the extreme emphasis on touring and very little on recording.  Why is that?  That's what I don't see a satisfactory response on.  Even given your (sweetdudejim's) item 4, it seems recording would be much easier and much more feasible than touring.

Question: Could Brian, Al and Dave record a new BB album minus Mike?  Not explicitly leave him out, but leave an open invite and still record as The Beach Boys if he declined?

A BB album without Mike wouldn't suffer lyrically or musically (IMO, of course), and frankly his vocal contribution to TWGMTR was less than stellar.  I'd be cool with a Mike-less new BB album.
So would quite a few others. God, I'd luHv to see that happen-please!Of course that means no Brooth as well.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 20, 2013, 05:40:36 PM »

Brian opened for Paul Simon.
So? At several points in his career, like Graceland times, PS was the hottest act in the US.

Somebody threw out this UK show as an example of the Mike/Bruce show drawing 10000 people. Well, that's misleading because the race fans saw them for free. It's not like 10000 people forked over 30 quid each to see M/B.

I am not saying it wasn't a cool gig for them but it doesn't compare to the C50th draw, or when I saw them and Chicago in front of
50, 000 fans or when they played the 4th of July on the National Mall in front of 500, 000, or whatever the crowd was.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 05:41:44 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 20, 2013, 05:41:40 PM »

that's what I mean...constant year round.

See I never understood why they have to tour every year to begin with.  With the notable exception of Dylan there aren't many blue chip acts that do that (Insert comment about M&B not being a blue chip act if you feel that way).  I understand that given The Beach Boys up until last year were dormant as far as releasing new studio material to the masses but I've never understood why they couldn't adopt a more conventional touring schedule which would obviously include scheduling in an "off year" once every two years or once every other year?  That would easily make it more convenient for Brian Wilson to play regularly with the band.  

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: March 20, 2013, 05:42:19 PM »

The ticket got you in to see both the race and the band, but the band were the main event -- the tickets said "The Beach Boys" not "horse racing". The impression I got was that the people who came were there to see the band, and the racing was the equivalent of a support act.
The audience were certainly among the most enthusiastic I've ever seen -- it wasn't an audience of people who came for the racing and hung around to see the band, but definitely people who came for the band and watched the racing while they were there.

To cement what you said Andrew , we were both there at the front hours before the gig and to be honest there really wasn't that many people on the concourse for the racing BUT from 45 minutes on before show time the place really filled up - I recall speaking to a manager of the course and he informed me that of all the gigs that they put on for that season the BB's was by far the biggest seller.

PS I don't care too much on horse racing , I prefer to eat them  LOL
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx