gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681327 Posts in 27634 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 04, 2024, 01:18:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Radio.com Poll -Who would you rather see? Mike/Bruce or Brian Al & David:Results  (Read 9543 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2013, 12:33:58 AM »

http://news.radio.com/2013/03/12/mike-loves-beach-boys-or-brian-wilson-friends-who-is-the-real-deal/

Kinda of a rehash article but the poll results are surprisingly one sided. Whoppingly so!

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 06:50:54 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
halblaineisgood
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 01:38:12 AM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 08:41:24 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 01:44:16 AM »

You couldn't post this in your Bruce thread.

LOL LOL LOL Ha, sorry no.  That dead horse has been kicked enough.  Whole different subject - the competing tours.  Will, no doubt, be the subject of numerous threads to come.

I just found it amazing that it's like 97 % to 2. I would have guessed 60-40.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 01:56:51 AM »

F that third option had been "the five Beach Boys reunited" I suspect it would be way out in front.

“We live in divisive times.”
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 02:00:46 AM »

F that third option had been "the five Beach Boys reunited" I suspect it would be way out in front.
Could be after reading the article people are biased against Mike and voting for the other guys.

You can write in a third option and vote for it. Poll is still open.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 02:36:38 AM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 02:55:15 AM »

Could be after reading the article people are biased against Mike and voting for the other guys.

You can write in a third option and vote for it. Poll is still open.

Aye, but my theory is most folk can't be bothered phrasing a third option – and you're probably right, the skewed article probably does Mike in before it's started.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 04:20:59 AM »

I hereby solemnly declare that I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiments expressed in the poll results so far.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 05:23:37 AM »

M&B can suck it..... Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 05:26:29 AM »

Given a free hand, I'd rather see Brian, Mike, Alan, Bruce & David... but that's hardly likely to happen again. If both bands were playing the same town on the same night, I'd probably go see Brian: realistically, I'd go see either while I still can.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 05:37:46 AM »

There is a third option, "other", which I clicked adding "Brian, Al, David, Mike & Bruce"
oldsurferdude
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 07:33:13 AM »

I'm left wondering why anyone would have a thread of desire to see a watered down, faux, imposter oriented version of a band. The poll speaks very clearly about who the real deal is. mYke and Brooth and their Oldies Jukebox Revival Act is a complete waste of one's time and money-triple that sentiment when The Brian Wilson band is touring. Really have no interest whatsoever  in seeing M or B ever again in any incarnation. Smokin
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:35:15 AM by oldsurferdude » Logged
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 07:36:40 AM »

I've not seen the Mike & Bruce show....but people who have say that it's a very enjoyable experience.

While I would be more interested musically in a collaboration between Brian/Al/David....I don't ignore that fact that the M&B show has successfully toured for around 15 years, pleasing audiences worldwide.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:38:06 AM by absinthe_boy » Logged
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 08:35:50 AM »

I think we all agree that the C50 lineup, with Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce and David, is what OUGHT to be out there on any given night. Clearly that's not going to happen all that often, if at all.

What we should all realize is that no matter what we say here one way or another, none of it is going to keep Mike from doing what he's been doing for quite some time--which is to take his guys out on the road and relive a version of the "good times" that he's been part of in one form or another for the last half-century. And, to be fair, he's not really doing any harm by doing so...those who want to see a different incarnation of the band still have some options. What happened in '12 was unprecedented, and wonderful--but, things like that, in the real world of water under the bridge, differing states of health, etc., clearly can't and "won't last forever." (A related question: should we risk shortening the remaining lifespans of these guys, including Brian, by insisting that they tour together at 2012 levels?)

Please also note: hating Mike has clearly not had one iota of impact on his career or his decision-making.

About the only way to force the group to tour together would be to boycott all the shows until everyone caved in--but, let's face it, there are hundreds of thousands of fans who will go to see one form or another of this band, thus crossing any "picket lines" designed to coerce the C50 lineup back onstage.

As someone said, a true poll would have provided the option for the C50 band, which would have swamped the other two choices. We could do a poll here along the lines of "Do you think the C50 lineup will ever give another live concert together?" and see what the group believes--but I think we know that this group, with its somewhat elevated levels of "Hate for Love" and its penchant for wallowing in the storied details of the band's all-encompassing dysfunctionality, will vote "no" in about a 4-to-1 ratio (that's 80/20).

And they would have voted that way in late 2011, too, I suspect...
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 08:40:56 AM »

"Do you think the C50 lineup will ever give another live concert together?"

I think (and hope) they would (and I seriously think reports of their differences have been greatly exaggerated in the press and here) but the problem will be whether they all live that long before they make the time to do it.

bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 09:12:02 AM »

I'd rather see all the boys come together for another studio album rather than a tour.  I love concerts as much as the next guy, but I don't get why posters here place so much emphasis on touring at the expense of recording.  Which is a better contribution to their legacy- a handful of concerts or an album?  Which would mean greater exposure to the public?  I'd go see either band play, but I'd rather have an album hands down.
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 09:16:00 AM »

That article is not particularly venomous towards Mike. It's on Brian, Al and Dave's side but not excessively so.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 09:32:07 AM »

My first choice would be the C50th lineup, which is why I selected "other" in the poll.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 10:11:08 AM »

I want the C50 BBs back as well!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 10:25:50 AM »

My comments to the question in general:
 - I'd assume that the answer of just about every person that posts on this site would be (and it is my preference as well) that the C50 line up would be preferred to any other configuration.
 - I do agree with those who have expressed the sentiment, whether in this thread or others that dealt with the similar question, that one (unless you have a particular personal bias against one of the performers) should see either version performing if at a venue near you if one can do so as both versions put on a good performance and, of course, the music is always enjoyable.
 - If I personally had to choose between the two (for example both at nearby venues the same day and time), I'd see Brian, Al, Dave because that's a configuration that I have not seen before.
 - With the prospects of another C50 type tour slim at this time (at least for the immediate future), I would hope that they can return to the studio and put out another album/CD at least on the level of TWGMTR that fans can enjoy.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 11:00:50 AM »

bonkers - you can vote as often as you like.

Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 11:33:11 AM »

The article is interesting in that it states that Mike likes to stick with just the hits.  This is a popular misconception.  In the past 10 years, Mike has done just as much digging into the archives as Brian has.

Here Today
Let Him Run Wild
Til I Die
Don't Back Down
Bluebirds Over The Mountain
All This Is That
Everyone's In Love With You
Why Do Fools Fall In Love
Forever
Disney Girls
Salt Lake City
It's OK
Sail On Sailor
Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring
Still Cruisin
Summertime Blues
Summer In Paradise
Cool Head Warm Heart

It could be argued that Mike does a better job at representing all the different phases in the Beach Boys' career.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 11:38:56 AM »

I'd go see a band with Al and David alone, without Brian, before I'd see a band with Brian alone. Seriously. I've been watching a few clips of Brian singing over the past 10 years + and realizing, no, he just doesn't have it in terms of singing voice or presentation. I've seen Brian more than once, but I don't think I would again. Even with Al and David.  Which is why I'd rather see those two tour without Brian. I'm not a Mike fan, either, which is why I wouldn't see the Mike and Bruce band.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, 11:50:25 AM »

Given a free hand, I'd rather see Brian, Mike, Alan, Bruce & David... but that's hardly likely to happen again. If both bands were playing the same town on the same night, I'd probably go see Brian: realistically, I'd go see either while I still can.

Same here.

Brian's band is far and away the better of the two bands, and is more likely to play a set I'd want to hear, but Mike's band are still very, very good. I'm actually more upset that I'll not get to see Scott Totten and John Cowsill playing alongside Probyn, Nelson, Darian and the rest again than I am that I'll not see the principals reunited.

I actually think it's a shame that David is playing with Brian and Al rather than Mike and Bruce, though -- he worked very, *very* well with Mike & Bruce's band in 2008, and probably added more to their show than he did to the reunion tour or will to Brian's band.

As for Al -- I'd watch him any time, with any band or on his own.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2013, 11:57:52 AM »

I'd rather see all the boys come together for another studio album rather than a tour.  I love concerts as much as the next guy, but I don't get why posters here place so much emphasis on touring at the expense of recording.  Which is a better contribution to their legacy- a handful of concerts or an album?  Which would mean greater exposure to the public?  I'd go see either band play, but I'd rather have an album hands down.

A handful of concerts would mean greater exposure to the public.

TWGMTR performed well on the charts, indeed it was a big hit. Yet it only sold as many copies as people in the audience of one big gig...

In terms of giving us something new, adding to the great canon of music that we will still be able to listen to long after the Beach Boys themselves have passed away....a new album would be good. Brian has made it clear that he still has a lot of material.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2013, 12:00:45 PM »

Frankly, I'd much rather have a new Brian album than a new Beach Boys album -- I vastly prefer his solo albums (other than Imagination) to That's Why God Made The Radio, and suspect that some of what I don't like about the latter is down to considerations about what sort of music the Beach Boys should do.

Of course, what I *really* want is a new album of Brian Wilson songs sung by Al. (And Van Dyke Parks to do the lyrics and orchestral arrangements, if I'm dreaming...)

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx