gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:12:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stone Temple Pilots/Scott Weiland  (Read 16588 times)
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2013, 08:10:55 AM »

Always liked me some STP.

I'd say Core is my least favourite album of theirs, with Tiny Music being my fav. One of the most underappreciated albums of the 90's....along with Soup by Blind Melon.

Purple was a big step forward in their evolution and a solid album from start to finish.

No.4 is so-so. The slower songs really shined. I Got You and Atlanta are gems.

Shangri-La Dee Da is a pretty varied album. Perhaps just a little bit too much filler on it. I think it would have worked better as a double album, as it was originally planned. Still, this album has some of my favourite STP tunes.

Their 2010 album is my second least favourite offering by them. Some good songs on there, but overall it kind of bored me.

Also, I'm usually not one for wild and showy guitar solos, but some of their solos just blow me away.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 08:50:59 AM by BiNNS » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2013, 04:31:46 PM »

I'd say Core is my least favourite album of theirs, with Tiny Music being my fav. One of the most underappreciated albums of the 90's....along with Soup by Blind Melon.

My man! It's so rare to find folks who appreciate these two albums. The lack of love for Soup really gets me down, and it's hard not to imagine where things would have went from there had Shannon lived. Sad

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2013, 02:50:49 PM »

Always liked me some STP.

Purple was a big step forward in their evolution and a solid album from start to finish.

No.4 is so-so. The slower songs really shined. I Got You and Atlanta are gems.

Shangri-La Dee Da is a pretty varied album. Perhaps just a little bit too much filler on it. I think it would have worked better as a double album, as it was originally planned. Still, this album has some of my favourite STP tunes.

Their 2010 album is my second least favourite offering by them. Some good songs on there, but overall it kind of bored me.

Also, I'm usually not one for wild and showy guitar solos, but some of their solos just blow me away.

I despise the 2010 album. It doesn't sound like them for starters. The mix is horrible and the production was clunky. You can tell they weren't together when the songs were written never mind recorded.

Core is next bottom.the songs are good but the sound is very dated...too much reverb and the kick drum sounds like a mouse punching a pillow.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2013, 11:07:50 PM »

A wise man once described the 2010 album as "It's extremely decent".  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2013, 11:42:38 PM »

LOL

It's one of those albums that gets worse the more i hear it.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2013, 12:41:38 AM »

That's actually a really good way to describe it though. You could say the same about MIU.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2013, 07:25:06 PM »

Plush came out when I was in High School.  I can just tell you that was, to my livin' in the burbs sheltered from everything ears, the coolest sh*t that had ever happened int he history of music for about 3 weeks there.  The video was something else. 

You look at it and hear it now and it's not that big of a deal, but at the time that song was a monster.  Rock bands used to be able to make great pop songs like that, I don't hear anything even resembling that kind of a monster hit anymore.   Scott was great at one time.  So sad to see what's become of him. 

I saw them live in about 2003 or so.  Scott was in between relapses, and was basically great at the show I saw. 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2013, 09:09:59 PM »

The last rock song I was really interested in was Cochise by Audioslave. Or possibly Woman by Wolfmother.

I seem to have picked a really bad time to become a Stone Temple Pilots fan. Scott hasn't been himself in years, and might not ever be again. But as long as Scott Weiland is not in the band, STP will never be the same. What a strange paradox.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: August 07, 2013, 09:13:59 PM »

Weiland is having other issues besides drugs...he is starting to resemble Landy-era Brian in many ways. That said the lawsuit by the DeLeo brothers is bullshit.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2013, 09:31:50 PM »

Sad Scott is becoming landy-era Brian... Sad

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: August 07, 2013, 09:56:24 PM »

About all I can share is he has had a problem with oxycontin which is doubly bad when you are bipolar and on a cocktail of psychotropic drugs...

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 07, 2013, 10:05:10 PM »

He's on psychotropic drugs? Man, oxy is bad enough on it's own.

The lawsuit thing is indeed bullshit, but I guess I can see how they might feel about Scott I guess. I mean, the guy's had about a good 15 years to clean up. But trying to stop him from playing STP songs at his shows is just petty. Why should he stop doing the songs that he had a hand in creating? They're as much his songs as STP's.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2013, 10:18:46 PM »

Exactly! And anybody can play anything as long as the proper fees are paid. Didn't Brian allegedly demand the same thing in 1975?

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2013, 10:39:56 PM »

I don't know anything about the lawsuit, but I remember back when he first had his issues, thinking "Damn, sucks for the band!" they pretty much put everything on hold with STP until he cleaned his sh*t up.

Weezer is the exact same thing.  Rivers isn't as f***ed up as Scott is, but the band is completely, horribly dependent on him.  No Rivers, no Weezer.  No Scott, no STP.  So Scott fucks up and they all lose money.

With that said, if their lawsuit is trying to keep him from playing the songs he wrote and made famous that's b.s.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx