gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:29:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stone Temple Pilots/Scott Weiland  (Read 16587 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2013, 09:54:29 PM »

I need to check it out. He had some issues with Scott and may have to take it with a grain of salt. All other accounts have him relapsing on coke in Oct 2007. He started showing signs of mental issues a few months prior though.  I haven't chatted with Doug Grean in several years but we do have a mutual friend so I'll try to get some info if I can.

Good news is last night's show went very well, and early reports were tonight did as well.

Fun fact: he's worked with Probyn Gregory in the past.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2013, 10:20:33 PM »

Going from Duff's account, it seems that he went well and beyond the call of duty, or at least at first. He actually stayed with Scott during a heavy dextox period. He actually injected Scott with the detox meds. In his ass.  Grin He personally went through two rehab stints with Scott. I should clarify that Scott was doing the rehab. Duff just personally took care of him and saw him through the brutal withdrawl period. Scott then screwed Duff over, and became a serious liability with the group. Duff mentions that near the end of Velvet Revolver's career, Scott was nodding out during the middle of songs during concerts, and would "come to", only to start singing a different song.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2013, 10:36:07 PM »

Odd he'd been nodding out... he last did heroin in 2003. He quit using coke late that year until 2007. He might have his dates mixed up. Late 2007 he was an absolute mess through the end of VR and through the first year of the STP reunion.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2013, 12:13:03 AM »

Duff may indeed have a year or two mixed up. He had a brief relapse in 2004. Twenty two Xanax a day might fog up your brain a little.  Grin That part of his book is a little confusing though, because he seems to go from 2001, to 2004 in just a few pages.

I clearly remember an issue of Rolling Stone with STP on the cover from way back in 1997, and I thought for sure that Scott would be the next Kurt Cobain-esque rock casualty. I think that Scott might be going through his "Dennis Wilson period".

With this thread, you now have me curios about Scott/STP.  Grin Are there any youtube examples of that weird David Bowie phase you described?

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2013, 12:27:03 AM »

Trying to find some video examples. As I expected, they seemed to have vanished from YouTube (one good example was on the Jimmy Kimmel show) but still looking.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2013, 12:43:19 AM »

Closest one I could find-
http://youtu.be/AplQmt35by8-   This is a cover of a song he did with  Velvet Revolver; this was shortly after he dyed his hair black as opposed to the platinum blonde it was a few months previous (with Weiland, you can usually tell if he's in a bad state by how crazy his hair looks LOL )  Still looking...

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2013, 12:45:37 AM »

I just realised that I confused your pm with this thread.  LOL

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2013, 12:49:18 AM »

No worries LOL

Actually was just about to send you another one

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2013, 12:59:45 AM »

Closest one I could find-
http://youtu.be/AplQmt35by8-   This is a cover of a song he did with  Velvet Revolver; this was shortly after he dyed his hair black as opposed to the platinum blonde it was a few months previous (with Weiland, you can usually tell if he's in a bad state by how crazy his hair looks LOL )  Still looking...

Now that video is  just...strange.  Shocked Sounds like a totally different person.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2013, 01:04:18 AM »

That was one of his GOOD nights during that time period. Be glad the Kimmel performance is off-line!

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2013, 01:19:15 AM »

Is it "Brian doing Don't Worry Baby in Long Beach 1981" bad?  Grin

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2013, 01:26:34 AM »

Man, this is sad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGQk_Ysce8g

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2013, 01:34:54 AM »

Is it "Brian doing Don't Worry Baby in Long Beach 1981" bad?

No, but that 'Creep' performance was!  The Kimmel performance of 'Paralysis' wasn't bad vocally, just scary as far as Scott's state of mind. This, however...um...yeah. Thank God he was much better the past two shows! He actually seemed like the old Scott at times.

cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2013, 06:25:20 AM »

Well, they started in 1986, although their early recordings & first live shows sounded more like Freakey-Styley era Chili Peppers or Living Colour. And yeah, their 1992 album Core was derivative, but it's their only album in that style. That's usually how a debut album goes for a band. The good ones grow.  Have you heard any of the links I posted here?    http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15363.msg357277.html#msg357277

But that cash grab was the pinnacle of their career. Other bands have a sketchy first album and this kind of thing but they go on to prove themselves and develope their own style. STP never did anything.

Weiland wrote a mediocre song for Sheryl Crow and she turned it down so STP released it as a single and it was just sad. That was their career!

For all the crap bands like Bush, Silverchair and Creed get I think they were more valuable to rock history than STP. Because there were actually talented songwriters with some ambition in those bands.

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2013, 07:27:26 AM »

Here's the thing... some of the songs on their debut were recorded years before. Wicked Garden was originally recorded in early 1990.... BEFORE Pearl Jam's debut album. Commercial success has nothing to do with quality... core was their weakest prior to the reunion album. The only cash grab was the reunion.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2013, 07:35:13 AM »

Also... where did you get the info regarding Sheryl Crow?

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2013, 11:04:55 PM »

I recall hearing Days Of The Week was originally written for Sheryl Crow but can't remember if she ever recorded vocals for it. Don't think she did.

No mas, por favor.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2013, 11:16:20 PM »

Oh I knew that... except that was written by Dean DeLeo and by the time Scott finished the song it would've been very different than the original demo. That song was hardly 'their career'. I thought he was referring to a song Scott had written for her, which never happened. The closing thing to it would've been Lady your roof brings me down, but all she did was play accordion on it! Plus there's that nagging issue of it not being an STP song...

halblaineisgood
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2013, 12:06:35 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:17:18 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2013, 01:32:43 PM »

I was just trying to make the patronizing observation that in his band he mimicked Eddie Vedder and his big moment as a songwriter came when Sheryl Crow rejected one of his songs.

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2013, 01:46:32 PM »

I was just trying to make the patronizing observation that in his band he mimicked Eddie Vedder and his big moment as a songwriter came when Sheryl Crow rejected one of his songs.
Can't really say he mimicked him as he was singing like that before Pearl Jam's debut; in fact, when both bands released their debut cds and Weiland was accused of copying Vedder, he went out of his way to change his style purposely (down to intentionally damaging his voice a la Brian Wilson)! Now, marketing-wise, yes...Atlantic Records did try to market them in the whole 'grunge' area. Same thing happened with Alice in Chains as well, despite them having more in common with trad metal than grunge.

So I read once that Dean DeLeo? was into ragtime music. that was a long time ago, but it's always kind of been in the back of my mind. So I'm kind of working on a neo-ragtime piano instrumental version of interstate love song right now. Do they have any other tunes that would work? 
Oh yeah...that is definitely true. I want to hear your version of ILS...that sounds like a great idea!  Trying to think of another song that would work...possibly 'Glide' . Would require a tempo shift, but the guitar chords and the vocal melody would work out. http://youtu.be/eNk-JnRwihU

Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2013, 05:49:52 PM »

I've always felt they were a very underrated band.  Yes...they do get saddled with being Pearl Jam knock-offs...but that is not entirely fair.  The leap from "Core" to "Purple" was very impressive.  They moved away from that Seattle copy-cat sound and started to incorporate a lot of different sounds.  "Tiny Music" and "No. 4" simply got better and better.  In their prime...there was no band better than STP in writing big, heavy...yet catchy singles.  They developed a real interesting mix of hard rock, pop and psychedelica.  To judge them simply on how they started is to ignore how they grew creatively from album to album.  I really believe they were on of the best bands to come out of the 1990s...which makes their fall even more sad.  It's too bad that Scott Weiland is such a mess.  I saw them live years ago...and Weiland had a broken leg or something so he did the entire show seated in a chair.  It was beyond bizarre...but nonetheless a really solid show. 

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2013, 06:57:33 PM »

Every album seemed like a progression from the last until they reunited.I hated their last album. Every complaint people here have against TWGMTR (which I happen to love) actually describes the reunion album. Nothing about it works for me.

I remember the show you mentioned. He had actually fallen of stage in the middle of the song and broke his foot...got back up and finished the song without missing a lyric. Sadly his current addiction to OxyContin started then...

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2013, 11:27:32 PM »

After having investigated this band thanks to the awesome help of a good friend(thanks  Wink), I feel I can now make a more detailed post about this band. I used to be one of "those fans". You know the type, the guy who hears one or two of the more radio friendly songs and thinks he's a fan. Bullshit.  Grin Believe when I say that most of their best work lay in the album songs that nobody paid attention to. Songs like Adhesive, Lounge Fly, And So I know, Glide, Black Again, and Hello It's Late put Plush and Interstate Love Song to shame.  Grin If you haven't already, seek out this band.

But please, stay far away from Dare If You Dare. Do anything in your power to never listen to this "song".

Sour Girl is also quite...um...that video... Ahhh!

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2013, 12:57:35 AM »

I agree with everything Jay said, especially the advice to avoid 'Dare if You Dare' which to my ears is one of the worst songs ever recorded by an established band.

Still like it a lot better than 'Don't Hurt My Little Sister' LOL

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx